Why Gave Anyone The Right To Judge Others? | Teen Ink

Why Gave Anyone The Right To Judge Others? MAG

Recently I was involved in a heated debate about the very controversial issue ofabortion. During it a girl who was pro-choice said that all people who choose thepro-life stance are uneducated. In response, a pro-life girl said that abortionis evil and anyone who would have one, or support it, is also evil. As I satthere and listened to this debate, it made me very upset. These girls who barelyknew each other were judging the character of the other by their stance on anissue. This whole episode made me wonder who gives anyone the right to judgeanyone else's beliefs as right or wrong. We need to learn to dispute people'sopinions and not judge their character.

I feel strongly that in societytoday people are too quick to judge others. One example of this is when schoolchildren label their peers as dorks, nerds, preps or headbangers as judged bytheir report card, their clothes or their taste in music, not by the person thatthey are inside.

Many people seem to think that their standards, theirmorals and their beliefs are the only correct ones and often they impose theseonto others who are not yet sure of what they feel. I think that one of the bestqualities of America is its diversity. Part of achieving this is the freedom weas Americans have to hold strong to what we believe and to voice our beliefs. Butnowhere are we given the right push our beliefs on others or to judge othersbased on what they believe. We will all be judged eventually and until then wewill never really know if we are right and others are wrong orvice-versa.

i love this so much!

on Feb. 11 2017 at 4:05 pm
C.E.Roth BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina

To love another person is to see the face of God." -Victor Hugo

I don't know how I feel about this. It is an interesting concept, but what if someone wanted to kill themselves? We don't have the right to ask them to stop? Or what about murder? I know those are two very extreme cases, but I feel that we all have the right to stand up for what we believe, even if it means "judging" others if it helps others.

Gwendolyn said...
on Oct. 29 2014 at 9:49 am
YES finally someone who has respect for others :)