Should Tv Violence Be Restricted? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should TV Violence
be Restricted?
by J. M., Newburyport, MA
This simple question has a very complicated answer. Some people say we should get rid of the violence altogether. This kind of person is one who watches "Sesame Street" seven hours a day, saves a whale, a spotted owl, a cockroach, or whatever the endangered species of the day is, and gets home in time for a group hug. Still, there are others who say, yes, let's have more sex, guns, blood and guts on TV. This kind of person watches the "Beavis and Butt-head" marathon, burns down a few houses, and finishes the day torturing small woodland creatures. Then, there's me. I say yes and no. Yes to violence on TV. No to children being allowed to watch it. I happen to enjoy "Beavis and Butt-head," but the thought of arson or animal torture has never crossed my mind.
I have a major problem with parents who let their children watch shows that are known to be violent, but then blame the network, the writer, and everyone else but themselves when their kid burns down twelve houses, and says that they saw someone do it on TV. The parents should have more discretion and control over what their children watch. On the flip side, the TV networks should have a little more common sense, and not show these violent shows on a Saturday morning right after "Garfield," and the "Muppet Babies." They should play these programs after the small, impressionable children are fast asleep. Don't get me wrong. I'm not placing the blame solely on the TV networks, or the parents. They both have to be responsible, and should stop blaming each other for a problem they could be working to solve themselves.

emochick said...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 11:54 am:
What about those people that are "unstable" and think that the violence is a go ahead to do something stupid, like commiting arson or pulling something like the University of Texas clock tower and starte mass shooting people.  Where do you think most people get thier ideas for violence?  The media of today!  I think that network televsion can cool it down, because if there is a good plot involved without going to all terminatior on screen, then it should be just as entertaining as... (more »)

hottsally replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm :
yeah well i think that violence on tv or on movies is no right. it puts thoughts into sick peoples heads and they may act out on them thinking its cool. thinking that they can get away with it just like in the movies.!

AaronLawrence said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 12:16 pm:
Chill out bro, all americans waaayyy over react to entertainment violence like its this huge thing.  I'm one of those people who avoids stepping on insects, supports save the wolves and all that rah rah, but i still enjoy violent movies, they're simply etnertainment 

Lilliterra replied...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 10:39 pm :
I think sheltering kids from TV violence is overrated. My seven-year-old brother plays Halo with my dad every night and he's never so much as slapped somebody, let alone stabbed some body with a knife or blew something up or something.

anahi random ninja replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 2:36 pm :

how many times are you gonna say something in one sentence and i dont beleive for one second that he hasnt got mad enough to do that.

Lilliterra replied...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm :
Well before you correct my grammar why don't you take the log out of your own eye.

Israel70717 said...
Nice! I agree with you too. I also enjoy watching violence on T.V. and I also get mad at my Aunt for letting my little cousin watch that kind of stuff. But she made a good point one day. She told me that how can I say anything about it when I used to watch it when I was a kid. Then I told her that not everyone is the same so if he does something dumb its all on you!!!

Rosey_Angel said...
I feel like somtimes the people in charge a full of bull. They said the reason the cancelled classics like Popeye, Zorro, and the original Mickey Mouse is because they're too violent, but they have a scary movie marathon in October.

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
In a sense, I suppose I agree with you. I personally do not believe that children should be allowed to watch television shows that highlight violence and sexuality until they are old enough to handle it maturely. However, it is just as wrong, in my opinion, for the government - or any higher power - to restrict television companies from broadcasting their chosen programs. I believe that to tell a company, "You may show this show, but such-and-such idea must be removed" is a violatio... (more »)

hrose said...
I completely agree with you on this when you say children should not be allowed to watch these programs. Some people were never meant to be parents and then we all have to suffer from others mistakes because someone can't grow up and be responsible.