Violence And Youth | Teen Ink

Violence And Youth MAG

By Anonymous

   During the last ten years, there has been a 79 percent increase in the number of 10- to 17-year-olds who used firearms to commit murder. Homicide is now the third leading cause of death among children ages five to 14. This violence among our nation's children must be stopped.

Recently, many major toy stores, including Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, Toy Works and Bradlees, have announced that they will stop selling realistic looking toy guns. This end of sales will, hopefully, decrease accidental deaths that result from these guns. Accidents occur when police officers and the public think that these toy guns are real, and shoot at the children. In addition, a ban on the sale of toy guns may prevent kids from wanting real guns, and learning to like violence. All toy stores should follow this example.

Furthermore, parents should consider not buying any toy guns for their children. They should also monitor their children's television shows and movies. They should encourage their five-year-olds to watch Winnie the Pooh, and not Power Rangers. Other businesses, too, can help, by ensuring that their movies, television programs, toys, music, and advertisements do not glorify violence.

With these small steps, violence among our youth can be decreased. ?