Should Teens Be Tried As Adults | Teen Ink

Should Teens Be Tried As Adults MAG

By Anonymous

   Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?





Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 323 comments.


Joehip said...
on Mar. 18 2010 at 3:29 pm
I know teh diff betwen write and wrong and left sence I was young. Yur argumant is inalud.

CrackerJack said...
on Mar. 18 2010 at 3:21 pm
The problem with your claim is that you seem to view the problem in black and white.Teenagers know the difference between right and wrong; therefore, they should be tried as adults. However, it is not a black and white, true/false, yes/no situation. There are different degrees of mental stages of development. There have been several studies and theories by psychologists (Freud, Piaget) that show the moral growth of a person. While teenager might know that murder is wrong, he would not have the same moral idealism. Your brain is not fully developed until you are about 21 years of age, that is part of the reason why the drinking age is so high, alcohol can give permanent brain damage to persons under 21. Furthermore, different teenagers go through different stages at different times. You can't draw a cut-off at 11, when the brain the just beginning stages of moral development.

rcrev2010 said...
on Mar. 16 2010 at 12:34 am
I agree with deneerenee9. Majority of teens have been brought up knowing between right and wrong. Why would you set an age limit at 20 if your legally an adult at 18? Are you saying your still immature at 18? If your allowed to vote at 18, then you should be mature enough to know that murdering someone is bad. And the whole brain development THEORY! Seriously lacking decision making? So your saying a teen can't decide on anything? Rational thinking? So you can't decide on something without the facts? And predicting consequences? Come on! I'm pretty sure you are aware of the consequences of what your doing. It basically sounds like your coming up with excuses rather than reasonable facts.

sexilady777 said...
on Mar. 15 2010 at 11:06 am
aight. heres my deal: just because u think someone should be tried as a teen if they are a teen s not making excuses. a teen is a teen. a teen is gunna believe something different than an adult would cuz theyre just that...A TEEN. teens do stupid things, yea, but sometimes instead of throwing them in jaail, they need help. now if u murder someone, its bad. but maybe u killed em cuz u didnt know how else to handle it. that shows that u werent thinkin straight n need help. i aint sidin wit murderers, but i think they should have a right to go to juvie, not jail. juvie is for teens...which is where a teen should go.

deneerenee9 said...
on Mar. 14 2010 at 3:28 pm
Ummm actually your brain doesnt FULLY develop till you're 30...so does that mean everyone under 30 who committs a crime shouldnt be tried as an adult? Everyone needs to stop with the "your brain development" theory its a bunch of bull, at age THIRTEEN you should know taking a human life or RAPING someone who SAYS NO is WRONG. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions, dont try and baby teenagers. You do the crime you do the time.

deneerenee9 said...
on Mar. 14 2010 at 3:25 pm
ummm people under 17 do too know what they are doing...you're saying a 16 yr old doesnt know that killing or raping someone is bad? Give me a break. I knew that was bad since I was 11. Obviously we know what we're doing because there are some teenagers who go their whole life WITHOUT KILLING.

deneerenee9 said...
on Mar. 14 2010 at 3:22 pm
How can you say that adults probably have committed worse crimes? Yeah right, an adult female kills her husband, and a teen kills their brother. SAME THING. It doesnt matter whose was worse, its the fact that they committed that crime!!!!

deneerenee9 said...
on Mar. 14 2010 at 3:20 pm
20? are you kidding? im 19 and ive known since i was 10 that killing is bad. There is absolutely NO excuse to kill. Our brains arent fully developed yet? PLEASE. dont make excuses for teen murderers. Our brains arent totally developed yet, but im pretty sure we know that killing is bad LOL. Seriously? Come on, wake up, GROW up, its people like you that make teen killers KEEP COMMITTING CRIMES!!!

RLiang13 said...
on Mar. 13 2010 at 12:26 pm
you have gotta be kidding me... IT'S THE LAW! IT'S THERE TO BE FOLLOWED SO STUFF LIKE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN!

htegsdfsg said...
on Mar. 11 2010 at 10:28 am
Rough Draft
The world is changing economically, industrial and in ideologies. What a person can or can’t
do. At what age are children allowed to do certain things? Who can do what and who can’t? A major issue society is facing is teens. When are they technically considered adults, and how they can be punished for adult crimes? Teens shouldn’t be put in jail. These adult facilities aren’t designed for teen s they are designed for adults. This is a very controversially topic of right or wrong.
This isn’t an issue only America has faced, it isn’t also an issue that has recently come up. It’s an issue we have faced for many years. Is it right to put a teen between the ages 12 through 17 or 16 to adult facilities or even. “By the 1960s juvenile courts had jurisdiction over nearly all cases involving persons under the age of 18, and transfers into the adult criminal system were made only through a waiver of the juvenile court's authority”( "History of the Juvenile Justice System Progressive Era Reforms Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Acts." ) This issue remains controversial for many reasons. People who agree that teens should be sentenced to jailor even death because of rape , murder of adult crimes hold many arguments.
Teens should not be tried as adults. “Every state allows children under 16 to be tried as adults, but new research indicates that many cannot understand their situations well enough to aid their defense.” Another source that proven teens shouldn’t be tried as adults because of their lack of understanding the case fully is this quote. “Subjects were given intelligence tests and asked to respond to several hypothetical legal situations, such as whether to confess to a police officer. The results found that one-third of those 11 to 13 and one-fifth of those 14 or 15 could not understand the proceedings or help lawyers defend them. The study recommends that states reconsider the minimum age for juveniles to be tried as adults or to develop a system for evaluating young defendants' competence.” ("Youths Shouldn't Be Tried As Adults, Study Says.") Teens minds aren’t well developed enough on legal issues to defend themselves, Teens may also go to death penalty which is too cruel because it’s taking a persons life away, who ever does that is murdering that person which is a crime but the law allows killing during special circumstances. Some are sent to life without parole. Where they are in jail for life where the get raped and abused. Many also become suicidal. Adult facilities aren’t places for teens. Teens can get rehabilitated and go to teen jails. Teens are still young and can change.
People on the contrary believe they should be trialed as adults, sent to adult jail and even the possibility of life without parole or even death.

ashleighboo! said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 10:48 am
i dont care what the law says neither should anyboody else !

ashleighboo! said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 10:44 am
i got this judge hes judge grimes and he be tryna put me up in juvy but he keeps puting me on house arrest instead.

LOAP said...
on Mar. 4 2010 at 7:39 pm
The reason why people think teens do not know right and wrong stems far deeper than memory loss. Over the centuries, humans have tried to deny the existence of personal sin because they do not want to be guilty of any of their actions. John 3:18 onwards easily explains it: men hate the light because it exposes their evil deeds. Scientists and researchers are doing this because they do not want to admit that there is a God who they are accountable to. Don't believe me; you just proved my point. See, we are pretty proud creatures that want to do whatever they want without being accountable for it. Why else would the courts no longer judge criminals properly. Ordering a murder to die (despite the age) is not cruel and unusual punishment, but the proper punishment that the government needs to enforce (check out Genesis 9 for more details).

Laney_lou said...
on Mar. 2 2010 at 6:28 pm
I think that the age limit for being tried as an adult should be MINIMUM 20. Color has nothing to do with it. Our brains are all the same color and THAT is the reason teens make stupid decisions. Our Brains are not fully developed yet. Were lacking our decision making, rational thinking, and predicting consequences long-term.

NaNae said...
on Mar. 1 2010 at 1:51 pm
i had my first child at 14 i am now 18 and i knew that having a baby that early wasnt right but mistakes happen there should be no slack on these teen mureders

Mz Mimi Baby said...
on Mar. 1 2010 at 1:48 pm
i understand i have a two year old and he know right from wrong but it all starts at home

sanra SILVER said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 5:11 pm
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
8 articles 7 photos 62 comments
everyone is just so on the fact that we know from right to wrong: of course we know from right to wrong, but are we mature enouhgt to control what we feel, and not base our decisions on our emotions, no.

if you are a teen, can you say you have never made a decision merely based on how you feel about it, just to realise afterward you regret it?

so criminal teens should aslo have a second chance.

GagaOohLala. said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 1:57 pm
I know teens know from right and wrong, but seriously, they should be tried for WHAT THEY ARE--teens. Because in adult prisons, they're surrounded by people who most likely committed more serious crimes. How can they learn from their mistakes if they're in adult prisons? After all, the juvenile jails i know of consist of therapy sessions and help so they can grow up mature and responsible. Some people may say it depends on the crime, and I agree on the magnitude of the punishments. But I don't think that teens should be placed in jails with adults because they have the potential to improve their ways.

marie679 said...
on Feb. 19 2010 at 7:01 am
its not fair for teens to be tried as an adult....Yes, its true everyone does stupid stuff but that doesnt mean we dont deserve a second chance...right now teens that are of color are the ones getting charged and i dont agree with it....When teens caommite murder,or rape someone....thats when they deserve time....but no a life sentence

USUXBIG1 said...
on Feb. 5 2010 at 10:13 am
I think is someone, juvenile age, murders someone, they should be tried as an adult. I am 13 and I know it is wrong. If you think about it, if your tried as a juvenile if you murder someone, you get less the sentence and they get out sooner thus they could commit the same crime faster, if they were to.