Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

bella said...
Dec. 3, 2009 at 6:26 am:
u say that teens dont get to smoke, vote or whatever until their adults YET you still see kids smoking under the age of 18? u think teens care anymore wat the law says, its beacause we let them get away that their so laid back. we all no that that saying teens arent mature enough is a load of bullshyt cuz there smart enough to knoe wat their doign so tehy can face the punisments for it too.

ashleighboo! replied...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 10:48 am :
i dont care what the law says neither should anyboody else !

RLiang13 replied...
Mar. 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm :
you have gotta be kidding me... IT'S THE LAW! IT'S THERE TO BE FOLLOWED SO STUFF LIKE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN!

1234567 IM SMART replied...
May 11, 2010 at 6:42 pm :
yall need 2 stop arguing.RL iang13 is right. ITS THE LLAAWWWWWWW

taters said...
i agree with this article. i am 15 and i grew up learning right from wrong in my home and also my school. and yes i think they should be tried as adults like i said but i believe there should be another prison system because i think that there are wierd people in jail and they should and dont deserve to learn more bad habits. kids mainly with siblings will keep pushing and pushing on their nerves until they are displined by there parents and i am happy there is someone there to stop them and the... (more »)

xasanaar replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 9:10 pm :
i totally this article that saying teen should be tried as an adult iam 14 and i know right from wrong!!!

Mz Mimi Baby replied...
Mar. 1, 2010 at 1:48 pm :
i understand i have a two year old and he know right from wrong but it all starts at home

kindyxkandy said...
Teens should not be tried as adults, they should be tried for what they are; teens. In America, until you have reached the age of eighteen, you can not smoke, buy lotto tickets, vote, or any other "perks" that come with being an adult. Why should teens only get the bad things of adulthood? Because your sixteen, and commit a crime, do you magically turn into an adult? No, your still a teen, and should be tried as such.

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 2:59 pm :
Of course, because if a teen of 17 years of age commits murder, the loss of human life is clearly not as drastic - the murderer was only a teen after all.
**please note the sarcasm

kindyxkandy replied...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 5:25 pm :
Not once in my comment did I imply that the loss of a human life would be less drastic just because a teen committed the murder. And just so you know, sarcasm doesn't work on the internet, so instead of being sarcastic, make an actual point in your argument.

Jan. 1, 2010 at 6:44 pm :
Oh, I'm sorry. Were you trying to imply that all teenagers lack maturity? Because it would seem to me that a lack of maturity is all it would take for a teen to know what they were doing was wrong, and continue to do it despite the consequences. What difference does the age of a person make: if you know you are committing a crime, and you still commit it, why should your punishment be less due to your age, pray tell...

paperstar replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 9:39 pm :
Because teenagers in adult prisons have high chances of being beaten, raped , or commite suicide And The Juvenile Justice system punishes teenagers as well

Jackie502 replied...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 12:14 pm :
Just because teens are teens does not mean that they arent capable of comprehending what's right and wrong. Age doesnt matter. If you know its wrong to kill a person knowing your consequences will be severve you would have to be retarted to do it!! And no it doesnt mean that they are adults but eventually you will HAVE to learn from your mistakes therefore making them a little more matture.

paperstar2 replied...
Jan. 7, 2010 at 8:27 pm :
Yes, you are right, teenagers are capable of knowing right from wrong.
But what if a teenager grew up in a violent environment?

Jackie502 replied...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:43 am :
Well if they realize that they are wrong and want to change they could look for help.

sanra replied...
Feb. 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm :
everyone is just so on the fact that we know from right to wrong: of course we know from right to wrong, but are we mature enouhgt to control what we feel, and not base our decisions on our emotions, no.
if you are a teen, can you say you have never made a decision merely based on how you feel about it, just to realise afterward you regret it?
so criminal teens should aslo have a second chance.

Adamrameau said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 8:14 am:
i dont think teens should be tried as adults because the part of your brain that makes descions doesnt develope until you are 21 years of age and so that is why

deneerenee9 replied...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm :
Ummm actually your brain doesnt FULLY develop till you're 30...so does that mean everyone under 30 who committs a crime shouldnt be tried as an adult? Everyone needs to stop with the "your brain development" theory its a bunch of bull, at age THIRTEEN you should know taking a human life or RAPING someone who SAYS NO is WRONG. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions, dont try and baby teenagers. You do the crime you do the time.

PurpleMidnight said...
Now, it really depends on the scenario. If they are mentally disabled then that's a completely different scenario. I think that when you are a child you know what's right and what's wrong. I think anyone 10 and up can be tried as an adult. It does not that the mind is not fully developed, its developed enough to know what they are doing is wrong and they will be punished by it.

Aitana L. said...
I think it also depends on a teens age. if the teen is from 12-15 maybe they are still learning. But either way they should know what is right or wrong