Should Teens Be Tried As Adults This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

The_Book_ThiefThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 4:49 pm:
I agree with you in most cases, but I think that teens should be tried as adults, not pre-teens. The punishments should still be raised for severe crimes for pre-teens, but they are not as mature and developed as teenagers. Another thing I would like to disagree on is the idea of the death penalty. I know adults are realisticly sentenced to the death penalty sometimes, but I think pushing that on a teen is too much.

danielsock said...
May 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm:
i agree to a point if they do it the first time it should be a minor charge if they do it any more then it should be a adult charge

joker said...
May 1, 2013 at 11:53 pm:
"Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"

pizzaface said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 am:
rayshawn great use of grmmar and spelling! your really making progress!

Sappho said...
Has anyone considered peer pressure. Most of the time, teens are either pressured by the type of people surrounding them a.k.a. friends and family. They commit crimes just to feel accepted by their little groupie or they seek attention from their parents because they are neglected. Also, 11 - 15 year olds getting in prison? Really? That is ridiculous and unreasonable in many ways. Plus many of the reasons these supposed adult crimes where done precisely because of that: adults influenced the men... (more »)

sallysunshing101 replied...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm :
i know right from wrong and even if i was neglected by parents or family, it wouldnt drive me to do something that serious as killing an innocent person.

Kenny! replied...
Feb. 25 at 11:11 am :
You don't understand how abused people feel if you weren't abused yourself, don't judge them...

The_Book_ThiefThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 4:51 pm :
I think another problem is child abuse, because that is causing some of the violent thinking. Also, kids who have bad influences on other minors should be arrested or something when one who has been influenced by them commits a crime, since they directly influenced the criminal.

lol18 said...
i think we should be treated as adults because i am not dum enough to not know that commiting a crime has consequences

rayshawn_22 said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm:
well i think he should be tried as adult cause if you do a adult crime then you should be tried as a adult you are old enough to know right from wrong

mkgfencer replied...
Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:17 pm :
they should also use proper grammar

urbwiz said...
Is this a serious post? 11 year old ought to be tried as adults? This reads as though it was written by an 11 year old. There are DOZENS of studies that show that the human brain isn't finished developing until the mid-20's, and the part of the brain that develops last is the part that evaluates consequences. This is very well documented.  To put it bluntly, most people lack the cognative capacity to reason clearly until they are 23 or so. I was a teen not too long ago, and I re... (more »)

ipray4you said...
my best friend got a call saying her 11 year old cousin shot his self from being bullied come to find out the kid that was bullying his mom didnt like my best friends cousins mom and they didnt even know each other i wonder about peple sometimes?

Lucariojf said...
this person obvisously didn't read the article in the New York Times kids who are in adult prisons and get out are 30 percent more likely to do another crime sooner and more violently adult prisons don't help reduce crime it increases adult prison is a school for crime not a place to be Scared Striaght 

StevenJLong13 said...
Nov. 1, 2012 at 11:19 am:
Most would agree with that, but how many people have had very rough childhoods and have never commited a crime in their life. I feel all parents should have to take some kind of a parenting class. Some parents today spoil their kids way too much, leave them alone in the house at young ages, too much sex and violence being shown on tv, I can tell you from personal expirience that alot of people today do not sensor the internet connection on their chilldrens devices. I could be 8 years old right n... (more »)

MarieAntoinette2012 replied...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm :
Why are you blaming the media for parent's of these children's failures? I watched public television with all the crime shows about murder from a young age, and never, have I ever seriously considered comitting a crime of any sort. I live in a poor county with a lot of crime, and most times, the criminals are being raised by people who committed the same crimes when they were young, and quite frankly, still are committing those crimes. Parents: get a grip on your kids and quit blaming th... (more »)

hi, get out said...
i agree but the punishment shouldn't be something like death if they want to kill send 'em off to war.

NIKIKI said...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 2:51 am:
I lAb U yeyeyeyeyey....

DreamingOutQuiet said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:36 am:
This is such a good point. Once I read an arcticle that was complaining about a 14 year old being tried as an adult, because he didn't know he was doing anything wrong. I could of told anyone way before 14 that raping and beating someone isnt the morale way to go. I mean what the what??

dinotron said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:13 am:
Most people say that teens should be able to cumit crimes and not be tride as adults that is why I agree that teens should be punished for the crime they cumite  (^^^)