Innocence Lost This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Emma, Melissa, Megan, Charlotte, Kevin, Ross, Hannah, David, Mhairi, Brett, Abigail, Emily, Sophie, John, Joanna, and Victoria. What were their dreams? What would they want to be when they grew up? Just like mommy and daddy? What did they wish for for their next birthday? Such simple questions will never have answers because these names are the children who were the victims of a shooting rampage in Dunblane, Scotland.

At 9:25 a.m. on Wednesday, March 13, Thomas Hamilton went to the Dunblane Primary School and started shooting in the playground, down the corridor, and then finally in the gymnasium where first graders were having phys ed. They screamed - screamed with fea,r because despite their young existence, they knew what fear and death were. Then Thomas Hamilton shot himself, leaving 16 children and one teacher dead in his wake. Why? Why these innocent children? What had they ever done to have their lives taken away before they even began to live it? No one has the answers to these questions because there are none. No one can justify this incident because it is unjustifiable, and no one can describe the sorrow of Dunblane because there are no words to convey it. Christina Rossetti once wrote, "If I had words, if I had words at least to vent my misery - but muter than the speechless herds, I have no voice wherewith to cry."

To Emma, Melissa, Megan, Charlotte, Kevin, Ross, Hannah, David, Mhairi, Brett, Abigail, Emily, Sophie, John, Joanna, Victoria, and their courageous teacher, Gwenne Mayor - may they rest in peace. ?