Payton/Kemp For President This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This past November, we made a mistake on Election Day. We should have voted for the ticket with Kemp as Vice President. Jack Kemp? No, I'm talking about Shawn Kemp. Bob Dole and his running-mate Jack Kemp could not have run our country well. But the Sonic duo, Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp would have done an outstanding job.

So you want issues? Payton, the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year, would be able to protect our country from foreign attacks. No governing experience? Of course they have experience. Payton is a point guard, the leader of a basketball team. Running the country can't be much harder. I mean, if an actor can be President, why can't a basketball player?

Can they deal with pressure? Last year in the Western Conference Finals, Kemp calmly sank four free throws near the end of Game Seven to lead Seattle into the NBA finals. Payton was forced to guard Michael Jordan in the finals, and he did a good job of it. What more pressure do you want?

True, they have never held political office, and true, they have had no direct dealings with politics, but I'll bet you that President Clinton can't throw a perfect ally-oop pass for Kemp to dunk home. I will guarantee you that Al Gore can't make a clutch three-pointer to win a game.

We made a mistake in electing Clinton, when it should have been Payton. In the year 2000, however, we will have a chance to change that. Make sure you usethat chance to vote for Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp. ?