Snacking Too Much After School Must Stop | Teen Ink

Snacking Too Much After School Must Stop

May 6, 2019
By Anonymous

     Snacking too much after school has become a massive issue in my life, but I think I have a solution to end over snacking. By the time I get home from school, I am starving. This is where my issue comes into play. I feel so hungry that I normally grab a larger snack instead of only grabbing the appropriate serving size. I end up eating the whole snack even though the appropriate serving size would have filled me up and held me over until dinner time. Snacks are typically not very nutritious and are sometimes just empty calories. An empty calorie is a food that does not provide enough nutrition, contains mostly sugars and carbohydrates, and will not keep one full for very long. An example of a snack that is an empty calorie is chips. Usually when I eat chips, I do not know when to stop. I keep eating more and more until I am finally stuffed. The issue with this is that the calories I am consuming are not good for me and will prevent me from being hungry for dinner. If I am not hungry for dinner, I will not eat enough nutritious foods that are healthy for me. Over snacking also causes me to lack energy throughout the day due to empty calories. If I only eat empty calories and not nutritious food, I will not be very healthy and possibly have health issues.

     The solution to my problem of over snacking is quite simple; going grocery shopping with my mom and pre-packaging single proportions of the snack. Instead of having my mom buy me unhealthy snacks with empty calories, I will have her buy healthy snacks. This will solve my problem because if I am not given the option of eating junk food, I cannot eat it. In order to make sure my mom does not buy any non-nutritious foods that I would be tempted to eat, I will go grocery shopping with her. I will only buy snacks that have good fats, low amounts of added sugar, a low amount of carbohydrates, and a good amount of protein. By making sure there is a good amount of protein, I will assure that I have enough food in my system to keep me full until dinner time. I will also try out many options of healthy snacks to assure that I enjoy eating them. It is important to enjoy the snack I eat because if I do not like the taste of them I am more likely to grab a snack that is not so healthy. By going grocery shopping with my mom and picking out only healthy snacks, this will also improve the health of my family as well. When I return home from the store, I will individually package one serving size per container and make sure I have enough to eat one portion per day. My solution of only buying healthy snacks will be a very simple transition, make sure I am still hungry for dinner, provide me with more nutrients, and improve the overall health of my entire family.

     My solution of only buying healthy snacks will limit my snacking as well as improve my overall health. By shopping with my mom for snacks I will not only be eating the proper serving size of that snack, but I will also enjoy eating that snack more. My solution will completely end my over snacking because I will have no choice but to eat the snacks I have available in my house. This will result in me being hungry by dinner time and eating more which means that I will eat more nutritious foods. By pre-packaging only one individual serving size of a snack per day, it will force me to only eat the correct serving size of the snack. I will become a more balanced eater and will also have more energy throughout the day. I will have more energy because instead of only having empty calories in my system, I will have nutritious foods in my system. My solution will also improve the health of my family because there will only be healthy snacks in my house for them to eat. My solution to quit excessively snacking will eliminate my problem of over snacking which will have many positive results such as help me enjoy my snacks more, help me be overall healthier, provide me with more nutritious foods, and even help my family healthier.


The author's comments:

This essay is a solution to an issue that many people and I struggle with on a daily bases.