Mornings | Teen Ink

Mornings MAG

Beep Beep Beep my alarm clock sounds every moming at 6: 00. I am very tired, not wanting to leave the comfort of my covers. With all my will I pop out of bed and walk to the kitchen in a zombie-like state. There I eat breakfast and feel artificially refreshed, which usually wears off within 15 minutes. Sound familiar?

All students go through the hassle of trying to wake up every morning, wanting just one more hour of sleep. And that is exactly what I'm proposing - one more hour of rest before going to school. I think the idea is very practical and it would not be that complicated for it to take place.

In fact the change already has occurred in some mid-western states. Instead of reporting to school at 8: 00 a.m., students go at 9: 00 a.m. It might not seem like that big a difference, but to someone who is busy doing homework until 10: 00 at night, that extra hour of sleep would be a life-saver. Also many students complain that what they look forward to most during the day is going to sleep. Our sociatal pressures are overwhelming!

This policy not only makes students happier but has shown some astounding and unexpected results. Students appear to be more competent when it comes to taking tests and more alert during class. Because of this extra sleep, grades have risen dramatically and students perform better overall during the day.

I think it is definitely an idea which needs to be explored. If you are interested in making school an hour later, I recommend you create a petition and send it to your local school board. Students all over the country must unite and fight for school to be postponed an hour. ?