A Citizen in Wartime This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Our responsibility as citizens of a country at war isnothing more important than to funnel our wartime dollars into this weepingeconomy, faithfully, into this fallible dot-com revolution.

Withcapitalist safety shot down like a clay-pigeon, my duty as a citizen, say they,is to go on cultivating my garden. Go on, day-to-day, with chin held high, whileWestern heroes go marching into the Garden of Eden on George W's crusade to crushthe opposition - to extinguish terror in this primal showdown of Good and Evil(so clearly and readily defined, of national and religious orientation,dramatically and inevitably set to stage, McDonald's versus Muhammad, in a fightfor all ages).

My duty as a student then, acutely interested in aglobal-identity, is to read into Islam, intently, and draw the line betweenChristianity and McVeigh.

In fear of taking freedom for granted ...responsibility roughly equates to temporarily filling every last void with thered white and blue. Completely blowing the top off of nationalism; dispelling anydoubt in the House. Visual Viagra for a nation that gets its kicks from 7 p.m.,prime time reality.

Flags wave, duty calls ...

And who-ha! Here'sto Duty; if we pretend generously, then we can fly along graciously in the wakeof a 250-ton death wish, wrapped snug and sound, package and bow, equipped toblow our Eastern friends right out of their caves, and on into infinity.

Whose duty is it then, to pick up their pieces?