When I Grow Up This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In kindergarten, my class was asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Crayons danced across sheets of ­paper to illustrate our dream occupations. Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night. I remember looking down the line and seeing pictures of ballerinas dancing, firefighters putting out a blaze, and astronauts leaping across the moon – careers that were seen as typical dreams of five-year-olds.

My picture showed a stick figure with brown hair holding a carton of orange juice over a large rectangle that was supposed to be a counter. Underneath was my barely legible handwriting: “When I grow up, I want to work at the Market Basket because it would be fun to swipe orange juice across the scanner.” To this day my parents won’t let me forget that out of everything I could have aspired to be, my five-year-old self wished to work at the local grocery store.

When we are young, questions of what we want to be when we grow up are common. Yet we are not expected to respond with an answer that is likely to come true. However, when we become teens, we are asked the very same question twice as often. The difference is, now we are supposed to ­answer with confidence.

Teens are expected to know exactly what we want to be and how we are going to achieve that goal. Not all of us can be so sure. Even though I am in high school, I ­cannot answer convincingly. But I don’t ­consider that a bad thing. How am I supposed to know what I will want to spend my time doing at age 40?

When I think about the future, I definitely don’t see myself working at the Market ­Basket, but in reality, if that was what would make me happy, I would do it. So, the next time someone asks me what I want to be when I grow up, I will simply say “happy.”

Happiness is a destination for everyone. We may want to walk different paths in life, but we all want to be happy wherever we end up. Choose your path, but don’t worry too much about choosing wisely. Make a ­mistake or two and try new things. But ­always remember, if you’re not happy, you’re not at the end of your journey yet.

InvisibleNerdGirl said...

When I was four, I wanted to be a paleontologist. None of the other kids knew what that was.

When I was seven, I wanted to be an astromarinebiologist. None of the other kids knew what that was, either.

Now I just want to be a writer. I've simplified. o_o

sweet_silent_surenity said...
I never changed my asperation to be a teacer. Now I wonder, often in fact, if that's really what I want to be... or if I just keep holding onto that dream. I never really know.
ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oh god, when I was in kindergarten, I wanted to "type all day like momy and do reports".  Us crazy kids.  Really an inspiring little piece!
lexy123 said...
I wanted to be a ballerina ha ha I was super girly ha ha but I still am
VirginieC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I wanted to be a trapezist :)
Maddyandsnoopy said...
When I was little, I wanted to be a bus driver!
Fire_Ice said...

So true!

I loved the part about the grocery clerk!

I guess we all wanted to be something odd as a child. When I was in Kindergarden I drew my self with Bushy brown hair, large front teeth and a wand with a caption that said, I want to be Hermione Granger.

Ladybug_94 replied...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 9:27 am
i agree to  this article, its a great thing to be happy, even though most teens dont know what they want to be, they should at least want to be happy in the career or job they chose.
kaybear said...

in kinder they asked what you wanted to be when you grow up.. half of us said a popstar or a super hero! i said i wanted to be a turnip!

in mid school they asked again half of us said i wanna be pres or a millionaire! i still wanted to be a turnip!

in high school right b4 we graduate they ask again.... people said they wanted to be a marine  or a doctor.... i evolved. i wanted to be a carrot :3

get over it!!!!

deathward22 replied...
turnips suck. oranges are where its at
M. replied...
deathward22 replied...
you know it :)
kaybear replied...
carots are better hahahaha:D
Authorgal98 replied...
Haha I'm cracking up! *I evolved...* rolf!
M0429 replied...
**** that, teapots win!
NeverStopRelating replied...
I'm in the company of the simple-minded... then again, SOUP trumps all veggies!
Jakethesnake said...
Oh, btw, The end of the journey is not being happy- it is death. And what do we do all our lives? Try to be happy. Any person who is happy has achieved the  ultimate goal of this journey. Death is the end, whether you have reached that goal or not.
Jakethesnake said...
Thank GOD someone has said this. haha Amazing what random writers can do.
fuckmydick809 said...
this is great! you have a great take on life!
beast tamer 8008 said...
This is soooooooooooo good! and also i agree!