The Floret | Teen Ink

The Floret

By Briar_Rose SILVER, Greenwood, Arkansas
Briar_Rose SILVER, Greenwood, Arkansas

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow." - Walt Disney

Sometimes we forget about how many little things it takes to make one great thing. Like how many little victories it takes for one outstanding success. Or how many failures it takes to get the one perfect test run. We often get so caught up in staring at the end result, that we forget what is required of us to get there. This is why so many simply quit. They become so frustrated with the speed of their results or lack thereof, that they don’t realize that every little thing they do is vital to constructing their ultimate success.

A perfect example is the dandelion. When a dandelion first sprouts, it's yellow and beautiful with golden petals. As it grows, it closes again to change into what we call a “wish blossom.” Now a wish blossom obviously gets its named from the legend that if you blow off all of the fuzzy pieces in one breath, your wish will come true. It’s a sweet and simple notion that many continue to entertain from childhood to their elderly days. Whether one believes in the granting of wishes or not, often you'll still find them blowing on one simply for the fun of it. The point being, this globally shared tradition would not exist if the dandelion never took time to change. Every now and then we need to take some time and, like the dandelion, shut ourselves off to focus on changing into the best versions of ourselves. Also like the dandelion, we must remember the importance of the floret. A floret is a tiny flower growing in a large group like that of the wish blossom. It takes hundreds of tiny little florets to create the beautiful flower we've nicknamed the wish blossom just like it takes hundreds of tiny little different things to get where you want to be and do what you want to do.

The wish blossom would not exist if not for personal growth and the importance of one small and seemingly insignificant thing. It may not seem at the time like that one good thing mattered all that much, but in the end you will see how each and every small thing you did put you on the path to one final masterpiece. So keep working on yourself and keep pursuing your passions. Remember the importance of the floret and how vital the small things are so celebrate your tiniest victories and learn from your smallest failures. And always remember how you must be willing to grow like the dandelion in order to become a wish blossom. 

Honestly this is something that just kind of came to me but I did find some inspiration from The Little Things: Why You Really Should Sweat the Small Stuff by Andy Andrews. He's a great author and makes some amazing points in his book. It's a must read if you want to improve on yourself and your life.