The Soul | Teen Ink

The Soul

By AddieLongo BRONZE, Highland, California
AddieLongo BRONZE, Highland, California

"Kill or Be Killed."
"The only to fear, is fear itself".

CHAPTER ONE

Jane

I am standing in my living room of my old house as a child. I am 5 years old with my bright blonde hair tied back in a mess. My dad has no idea how to do my hair, and my mom was too drunk all the time to even care. I tugged and tightened pieces of my blonde hair (which I got from my mom) as I listened to the sounds of crashing and yelling from in the kitchen. The louder they got the more I fidgeted with my hair. I stared at the ugly vomit colored walls and plugged my little ears hoping for the fighting to end soon.
Just then my mom stormed out of the kitchen, her face raging with anger. I gulped and choked out a small,
“Mommy?” She stopped in her steps and turned to look at me, her daughter. Her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes narrowed. My heart started pounding. She stared at me for a long while and then just walked to her room. My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach. Her eyes…she looked at me as if I was no one important at all. I heard muffles coming from the kitchen. My dad had not come out yet. I shakily walked into the kitchen to see my dad sitting at the kitchen table with his hands in his face muffling words I could not make out. Once again, I pulled some 5-year-old courage and squeaked,
“Daddy?” He looked up, shocked to see me. He wiped his eyes and said,
“Hello buttercup.” A small smile almost sneaked out of me from hearing my nickname my dad gave me. He once told me if I didn’t stop eating buttercup candy I would turn into one, creating my nickname two years ago. But right now nicknames weren’t going to solve what was happening.
My eyes shifted to the living room where my mom was walking in and out of grabbing various clothing items.
“Why is mommy so mad?” My dad lowered his eyes.
“Come here.” He motioned me with his hand to sit on his lap. I hesitantly walked over and plopped down on his lap. I looked up into his sad eyes with my bright green eyes. A tear slid down his cheek.
“Daddy, why are you sad?” He gave a half smile and wiped his tear.
“Daddy is sad because mommy and daddy are not getting along.”
“Why?” I choked out.
“I…I don’t know sweetie, but mommy is leaving.”
“Where is she going? When will she be back?”
“She’s…Jane. She’s not coming back.”
“Never? Like…she’s going to be gone forever?” My dad nodded his head. “NO! Daddy! Make her stay! Stop her!” I jumped off his lap in panic and ran into my mom’s room where she had 3 suitcases on her bed. “Mommy. Where are you going? Please don’t go!” I could feel myself choking up and tears swelled up in my eyes.
“Jane. I don’t have time for this.” She grabbed her luggage and pushed pass me. My dad stood in the doorway of the kitchen and watched her walk out the door.
“Dad! Stop her! Why aren’t you doing anything!?” I screamed and ran after her. My mom put her luggage in the back of her car. I grabbed her waist and hugged her. “Mommy please don’t go,” I pleaded as tears started coming on. She shoved me off and I fall into the street scrapping my knees. I looked up with tears and saw my dad standing on the porch, watching with pain in his eyes. I looked back at my mom who was opening the door and getting in the car. I lay in the street and yelled at her, “Mommy! Please! Don’t go. PLEASE MOMMY!” I screamed at the top of my lungs with hysterical crying. She started the engine. “NO!” I got up and started chasing the car as it drove off. I wasn’t fast enough. I couldn’t catch it. But I had to catch her. I ran faster, and faster and soon enough the car was not in sight.
I fell to the ground screaming and crying. Why did she leave? Why didn’t she love me? I buried my face in the concrete of the road and bawled. I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up with red puffy eyes.
“You! You did this! Why didn’t you stop her!?” I yelled at my dad. He looked down at me with pain. He didn’t say anything. He didn’t know what to say. I shoved his touch off and ran back into my house crying so hard that I thought I would never stop.

I came back to reality. I was too afraid to open my eyes. It was silent and still. My eyelids felt like they had weights on them as I forced them open. I was lying on my back on the ground staring up at a plain dark ceiling. I sat up. I was in an empty room with concrete floor, four concrete walls and a door that was ajar. There was nothing else at all. I sat up more and looked around me. Where was I? Was I dead? I slowly, shakily stood up. I remember everything. And a shock went through me. I still remember everything. And it still hurts. All the pain and sadness, it’s still here. My dream I just had, the horrible memory, still played over and over again in my head like a movie that never ends. I felt tears coming on, but stopped them. I had to figure out where I was.
Scared to death, I walked towards the door and pushed it open a little farther with my finger tip. I glanced out the door. There was a long hallway just like this room; concrete floors and walls with nothing else. I walked out the door and slowly walked down the long hallway. There were large windows that looked into other small square rooms like the one I was in. I felt terrified. Where was everyone else?
Down a little farther was the end of the hallway. It broke into a very large room, also empty, but there were two large glass doors leading outside. Should I go out there? I fought with myself for a few minutes on whether or not I should go out there. I took a deep breath and gathered some 17-year-old courage and pushed open the glass door and stepped outside.
It was empty out here. I looked up at the building reading the large letters on the front: NEW YORK CITY HOSPITAL. It was the hospital that was five blocks away from my apartment complex.
This was where I lived.
There were streets and buildings just like the city I live in. But, it was scary, sad, and deserted. Large dark gray clouds covered the sky completely making it very dim and dark. Not a speck of sunlight was showing. It looked cold but I didn’t feel it. The wind blew the trees and my long black dyed hair, making it stick to my pale white skin. There were no cars in the streets. No cars honking anxiously at the New York traffic. No people walking their dogs. No people yelling at taxis. The buildings looked abandoned. There was nothing. It was our world, except there was no sun at all and there was no sign of life anywhere. It was if everything and everyone had just disappeared. I hugged my shoulders from the wind that I didn’t feel. Normally, the cold wind would pierce my skin making me shiver, but I felt nothing. I felt no wind, no cold, not even my own touch against my skin. Yet, I still felt all the pain that I tried to get away from.
Is this a punishment for suicide? Being stuck in a parallel world still feeling all things I so desperately wanted to escape? I sat on a curb so confused. I pulled at my hair thinking. I would figure this out. My boyfriend had once told me I was one of the smartest girls he knows-knew. Yet I denied it over and over again and never tried in school because I was never going to go anywhere. I did score the highest on our high school exit exam, but I kept that to myself. So, if I am so smart I will figure this all out.
Thoughts bounced around my head. Memories, painful memories, replayed in my head and I couldn’t think. I stood up shaking with fear and confusion.
I’m dead.
I can’t deny this. I can’t pretend it’s not there like everything else in my life.
I am dead.
I’ve studied death before. But nothing like this.

I. Am. Dead.

And when people die, they become ghosts and go on to the afterlife. Is this the afterlife? Is this Hell? Heaven? Then, another shock jolted through me. Not only was I dead…

I am in fact…a ghost.

I can’t feel anything physically. I can obviously still feel emotionally but I don’t feel cold or a touch. I don’t feel hungry or sleepy. A thought occurred in my head. I bent down and grabbed a small pointed rock. I brought the rock to my leg and pierced my skin with the quick sound of slicing flesh. I flinched anticipating the stinging pain. Blood trickled down my skin.
Nothing.
I didn’t feel the physical pain of a cut or the warm blood run down my leg. My stomach still churned inside me thinking of how that would normally hurt.

I started to breathe heavily. I couldn’t feel physically at all. What have I gotten myself into?

I suddenly felt the need to go to my apartment. My dad…I started to walk fast down the street. I walked faster and started to run but stopped when I passed an empty building. It was the store where I got most of my things, SANDYS THRIFT STORE. It was empty but the thing that caught me the most was the windows. I stared into them, into my reflection.

I looked exactly the same. I still had my long black, dyed hair, my big green eyes, and my pale white skin. I’m still in the clothes that I was wearing before I... died. My blue jeans, too long, ran down to the bottom of my black Vans, ends fraying, and my black, baggy sweatshirt hung loosely at my mid thigh. But clothes and hair didn’t matter right now. What really caught me off guard was that I wasn’t translucent. I didn’t look like a ghost at all. I just looked like me. I wondered if I could go through things…

Not even thinking at all, I backed up a little ways and ran. I ran into the wall of the store at full force, bounced right off the wall and fell to the ground with a hard thud. Normally that would hurt like hell, but I felt nothing. And I didn’t go through the wall. What kind of ghost am I?

I looked in the window again seeing blood trickling down my forehead, still feeling no pain.

“S***,” I whispered to myself. The blood on my leg had dried and crusted into a long line down my skin. I used the sleeve of my jacket to wipe the blood off my forehead and then continued to my apartment with confused, terrified thoughts that kept spiraling all around me.

I walked in deep thought and reached my destination quickly. I looked up at my home. Well, my old home. Pain burned inside of me. That place has so many bad memories, but what really hurt was the fact that I was gone. I wasn’t going back. I had left people…But I shouldn’t feel bad. All those people should feel bad and guilty their whole lives for hurting me in the ways they did. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I couldn’t go in there. There would be nothing and nobody. It would be a pointless idea causing more pain and longing.

I then let myself fall in the middle of the deserted street. I hugged my knees closely into my chest, buried my face in my knees and cried hysterically. This hurt. I was in the street crying just like when my mom left me. I was alone again. This pain was never going to end. I am stuck here; an eternity of pain. I guess I deserve it. I cried more and more remembering everything. I then heard a gentle voice that made my heart stop.

“Why are you crying?” I didn’t even think, my head jolted up at a man. He was a tall, older black man. He had blue comforting eyes and a white beard.

“Are you stuck here too?” I asked excitedly. Hope surged in me. There was another person in this strange place.

“I don’t know,” he whispered. “Am I dead?”

“I think so. We’re trapped here,” I responded. He looked down confused.

“Here,” He pointed to the ground where he was standing. “Here,” he repeated. I looked to where he was pointing in confusion. “Here. This is where it happened.”

“Where what happened?” I asked and stood up.

“My brother. He was driving. We were laughing. I hadn’t seen him in years. We stopped talking when we were 20. I didn’t talk to my brother for 20 years. I love my brother, but after I ran away with Sally…” He paused. “I made a big mistake.” He was looking down rambling off his story with short unclear sentences. I didn’t know what was going on but I listened.
“Sally was beautiful. I thought I loved her. No one understood our love. She was a prostitute and my family did not approve of her. No one supported us. I was so mad. I…we ran away together and I never talked to my family. My brother was the most important person to me. I should have listened to him. I wasted 20 years I could have had with him. I wasted it on Sally. She sometimes never came home. She was always out screwing other men for money. She was always drinking. I let her do what she wanted; I let her treat me horribly. I wasted my life…And one day she just never showed up. Never came home. I should have listened to them…I should have listened.” He was still looking down at the ground.

“What happened after she left?” I asked feeling sorry for the poor man. I understood his pain, when you screw up everything and there’s no way to fix it.

“She left me 4 months ago. I finally picked up the phone last week to call my brother in tears. I needed him. And in a heartbeat he came over and…oh. I missed him so much. I was so glad to have him back. He forgave me. I forgave him. I was so happy. We were going to make up for lost times. We were driving to get some dinner, talking and laughing about old times. And he turned the corner and hit a speeding car. We rammed right into the car, and a giant truck plummeted into us not able to stop fast enough, causing us to flip. We flipped right here.” He was still looking down at the spot.
This was where the man died. He just died right here, just now. He looked up at me tears pouring out.
“I loved my brother. I hope he’s okay. I’m glad we fixed things before I left.” And as he said that he started to fade. He slowly became translucent. He looked up. “It’s my time. I am finished in that world. Good luck.” He faded more and white lights started to surround him.

“NO! Don’t go!” He gave a half smile but it faded as his eyes grew big and he pointed behind me. Then he faded away, moving on into the afterlife. He was gone…

“Hello Jane.” I turned around quickly again. There stood a man. Now, this guy didn’t look as comforting as the last guy. He had black eyes and he wore a black robe with a hood that hung over his face, casting a shadow on his face. I gave the guy a puzzled look. His fingertips were not ordinary. They were black balls. Like a frogs or like he stuck olives on his fingertips. But I had a feeling that those were no olives.

“How do you know my name? Are you dead too?”

“Oh darling. I have been dead for a very long time and I am here to help you.” My body stiffened and my gut told me to run. He was bad. Very bad. My gut screamed at me to go. I needed to get out of here. I started to back away. “Where do you thinking you’re going little missy?” He raised his right hand and put his left hand palm up. With his right hand he started touching his left palm doing something strange as if he was going to pull something out of his hand. At that moment, he started pulling vines out of palm. He pulled more black-green vines with thorns and shaped it into a ball as electric sparks hovered over it. “I am here to help.” He gave a cocky half smile and launched the ball at me.

Chapter Two

Dakota

It was her. I found her. After all the centuries, I finally found her. Her long black hair flowed lightly in the wind, her green eyes stood out against her pale white, fare skin. Her naturally bright pink lips complemented her pointed jaw. Her short, curved figure made her stand there, perfectly. She was beautiful.

Jane.

She will be mine. Vincent will be very pleased and in return he will grant me the will to become more powerful and hopefully let me have the girl. She will be bound to me. Mine forever. The hard part is over; finding her. Now that she trapped here in Netherworld, I will make her one of us. I will make her a Shadow Angel. And once we have her, we will be able to fulfill the prophecy and take over Satan’s underworld instead of being trapped here. A smile snaked across my face as I launched my poison-torn ball at her. Once the thorns penetrate her skin she will be wounded and I can finish the process of making her a Shadow Angel.

But when the poison ball flew at her, she dodged it. She started running away.

“Awww. Come on now. You don’t want to play?” I said as another evil grin snaked across my face. She ran as I stood there watching her run.
Silly girl.
She thinks she can out run a Shadow Angel. I waited as she ran down the alley way. I pictured the alley in my mind and I shimmered from the street to the alley in an instance. I had her cornered into the brick wall dead end. Hey eyes grew wide with fear.
“You miss me already darling?”
“How? Wh-What?” She stuttered in shock. I gave my evil grin again. She breathed heavily.
“What do you want from me? I don’t even know where I am or anything. I-“
“Shhh.” I said cutting her off. Her fast ramblings were irritating me. We will have to work on that if she’s going to be mine forever. “I am here to help you. I know you are so lost on this plane we like to call, Netherworld, but I am the person you go to. I am an angel and I am here to help you and make everything better. I am Dakota,” I said in a soothing voice. I tried to grab her shoulder with my poison filled black ball fingertips. She flinched back. The look on her face showed fear and I don’t know if she believes me. “I am good darling.”
“Then why did you try to shoot me with that thorn bush?” she asked quickly. I laughed.
“Thorn bush? Oh sweetie. It is much more than that. It is the 1st step to saving you from here. You soon shall have my powers too. Just let me help. Let me touch you.”
To make her one of us I must touch her with my black ball fingertips and surge poison through her. The poison will travel through her and my fingertips will burn her with excruciating pain. This poison is the only pain she can feel, just like the only pain our kind feels is when our leader, Vincent, puts it in us as a punishment. Once my black ball finger tips touch her it will weaken her and she hopefully won’t fight back. This process takes about a minute, and for her to fully become a Shadow Angel it must be complete. I cannot tell you how many times Vincent has put Shadow Angel’s through pain because they only did the process half way done making them only half evil, half shadow angel, with still some good inside them. I am not as powerful as Vincent, but when I show him the girl he will grant me stronger powers like his so this process will only take a few seconds.
I put my mind back to the change. I stretched my long fingers at Jane’s shoulder. She backed farther into the wall behind her closing her in more. I grabbed her sweat shirt and tore a small part of the sleeve, showing her bare white skin, her beautiful fragile skin. I reached for her ready to turn her, but then a small white and clear tornado surrounded her.
“No!” I yelled. To quickly the tornado consumed her and she vanished. She was gone. Just like that. “Damn it!” I yelled and kicked the wall. She figured out one of her ghostly powers. Now, I have no way of finding her. If I was as powerful as Vincent I could just picture her in my head and shimmer to her, but I am not. I can picture only a place and shimmer to it. And I have no idea where she went. She could be anywhere on this plane. She could be in China.
Anger rose inside me. The one chance I had to please Vincent slipped right out of my hands. I buried my hands in my face and then punched the wall.
And then again.
And again, harder.
Once more.
I looked at my knuckles seeing the blood seep out. Of course I felt no pain. I heard the shimmering noise from behind me. I turned. There stood Theo.
“I felt your anger brother.” He looked down at my knuckles. “I see you are.” Theo never smiles. He always has a blank look on his face. He is defiantly the lesser evil of all of us. He spends most of his time alone. He has some problem and resentment towards me because when he died I forced him against his will and made him a Shadow Angel.
Something minor like that.
He deserved it. He always over reacted when we were kids too, so this is just his personality.
“Hello big brother,” I hissed. Theo stood tall. He was well built and strong. He put down his black hood reviling his black buzzed hair.
“What’s the problem? I don’t have all the time in the world. I have been after my charge for two weeks now.”
“You still can’t catch that boy, eh?” I asked picking at my knuckles.
“No. He figured out his first ghost power a few days ago, finally, and he keeps bouncing to different places all over the world. I can’t catch him. And if I don’t get him soon Vincent is going to kill me.”
“Hmmm. Sounds like you need my help brother.”
“No! I don’t need you nor do I want your help. This boy is nothing. He’s just talk. He is scared shitless and all he does is run away.” Theo scratched his arm and looked up in frustration with the same blank look.
“Well lucky for you it took your charge two weeks to figure out his first ghostly power. I just got assigned mine today and she already knows how to transport herself. I have no idea where she is.”
“That explains the punching. Why are you so pissed then if it’s your first day? Vincent gives us a maximum of four weeks to get our charges and make them one of us,” Theo said being all smart and technical like always.
“Can you keep a secret?” I hissed. He just stared back at me. “Okay brother. She’s the one.” I paused and watched his eyes grow wider. I smiled with satisfaction that I was finally beating him at something. I was doing better than him. “Yes brother. Jane is her name. She is beautiful and powerful. She is the source to finish our prophecy.”
“No. Is it really her?”
“Yes. I feel it. That’s how she already discovered one of her powers. She’s a powerful genius. She’s the one. And once I bring her to Vincent as a Shadow Angel, my powers will be almost as strong as his and me and Jane can be together forever as we take over the underworld.” I rubbed my hands together. Just thinking about it made me feel powerful and alive.
“So you have this whole plan in your head, all for yourself. Hmm. Hope it works for you brother, but if you screw this up we are destined to be stuck on this plane forever. She is the only source out there. If you lose her, we are all screwed. “
“Oh, brother. You know how hard it is to lose someone. Once you’re in Netherworld your stuck here forever unless you move on. And hell, most of us searched and tried, but never gained the power in enough time to move on before we got changed. The only person who has ever found her way out was over 100 years ago. I never found a way and I became this. It is so much more fun.” I chuckled.
“This isn’t a game Dakota. She is very powerful and smart. If she finds all her other powers, she will find a way to get to the outside world as a ghost and she may find the reason she is stuck here. Every spirit that is on this plane is stuck here due to something they left behind. And if she solves it she can move on.” He stopped. He probably started thinking about how he could have found out why he didn’t move on, but I “ruined” that for him by changing him and making him this way for eternity. “Brother. If she moves on we can never find her or reach her and our prophecy can never be fulfilled. Do you really want to be stuck here forever?” he said with the same straight look on his face, but I could feel the anxiety in his voice.
“Theo. You need to let it go. I was put here first. I became a Shadow Angel, and I helped you by making you a Shadow Angel. I know this is no game. I will get her.”
“For your own selfish reasons,” Theo said bluntly. Theo never stands up for himself. Whenever I talk about his change he just sits there and takes it. It means I win. He just lets me do what I please. And I do not care what Theo wants or thinks. Theo needs to let go. He doesn’t need to know the reason as to why he is trapped here. He had unfinished business, like me, but who cares? He doesn’t need to know, he’s already bound to evil forever. It’s no use to him.
I turned back to look at my brothers blank face.
“I will do this myself. And I will be above you for once. Stay out of my way,” I said with sharpness in my voice. Theo looked down at the ground and put his black hood on covering most of his face.
“Good luck then brother.”
“And good luck with catching what’s-his-face.”

Chapter Three

Jane

I stood on a large area of dead yellow grass. Around me there would normally be the green and blue swing set that kids would swing too high on, the green jungle gym that led to the dinosaur slide that swirled down into the bright green grass, people walking their dogs not picking up their own crap, kids throwing sand in the sandbox, and me; who sat on the bench everyday with my drawing pad sketching whatever was happening at the park during the time.
But now, the park consisted of a chipped swing set with one of the chains broken off, the green jungle gym was no longer safe to play on, the grass was dead, and there were no people at all. It was dead silent. No kids screaming while they played tag or dogs barking at the other dogs.
Nothing.
I used to spend a lot of my time here, drawing. It was a way to get out of my house. I couldn’t stay locked in that hell hole forever with them.
This is-was-my place
Now the big question is how I got here. That alley is a good five miles from here and I am pretty sure I got here in five seconds. And Netherworld? Is that where I am? I thought the Netherworld meant Hell, but it also means land of the dead. Because, I am in fact…dead. At least I am safe now and that guy hopefully won’t find me anytime soon.
He was so scary and cruel. His piercing black eyes just stared me down like I was a piece of meat. I was in a panic. I didn’t know what could possibly happen to me, hence the fact that I am already dead. But I still was so terrified of those thorn vines that he pulled right out of his hand, ready to penetrate my skin. I just thought of this place, my favorite place. Then a white spiraling cloud surrounded me and before I knew it, I flashed here. Just like that. It was definitely some sort of magic. No denying that; and so is throwing thorn balls out of your hand.
I looked up at the gray clouds covered sky as the light wind blew the only swing still hanging back and forth making the rusty chains squeak. I made my way over to the swing and sat on it, slightly moving back and forth with my feet dragging in the dead grass. The probably freezing metal seat had no effect on me.
At this point I sat there and thought about everything that had happened in the last hour. The man appearing and the moving on, the evil angel that’s after me, and this newly found power. A ghost power I am assuming. I started to meander around the park imagining the familiar faces that would normally be here.
There was always Betty, an old lady who used to be a beautiful woman with an amazing voice. She sang and danced at one of the old clubs in downtown, but life hits you, along with the gray hairs, wrinkles, and weak body. Once the inevitable finds you, that’s it. No more fame. Depressed, she lived alone with her 11 cats, and each day she would bring a different cat on a leash to walk and talk with. Strangely enough, the cats walked and behaved better than the dogs that the people brought. She was one of the strange ones, but she never failed to say hi and look at my latest drawing.
There was the 6 -year-old twins, Shane and Shelby. Their mother took them to the park frequently and they never seemed to run out of energy. Every day they had some new adventure to create. They were the kids who swung too high on the swings scraping their knees and elbows jumping off, and they never got tired of sliding down the dinosaur slide. I had many drawings of them playing and being imaginative, as they played their little game where the ground becomes lava and they had to step on objects to avoid falling into the molten lava. And every day when it was time to go home they begged for five more minutes to play.
I sometimes brought my boyfriend here with me. We would sometimes take long walks down the pathways just talking and joking but he didn’t mind watching me draw, just as long as he was with me, and that’s why I loved him…but he obviously didn’t love me enough in the end. He left me, letting the darkness that always was so close, but never reaching me due to his protection, finally, in fact, reach me.
I shook my head. Wishing that as my head shook back and forth that the horrible memories would pour out like rain and never go back into my head. I kept walking, I didn’t know where I was going but I just kept walking.

I walked aimlessly for a good few hours. My legs and feet didn’t hurt at all. The wind was blowing a little harder and I still felt no chill. I can’t say that I am bored due to the fact that I am trapped on a parallel plane between heaven and hell, but I don’t have any idea where to go or what to do.
Everything just keeps replaying in my mind and coming up like vomit. I keep pushing it away and trying to get my mind elsewhere, but it’s getting harder to push away. I really do hate this place. There is nothing to do but think, and be completely terrified, because I never know what’s going to happen or who is going to show up. I don’t understand anything, I am so confused. This whole place is implacable.
I tugged at my hair as the stress and confusion gnawed at me. The normal dead silence was disturbed by a piercing loud screech like,
CAAAAW!
My head snapped up looking for the sound that sounded like a…bird? I looked around frantically. My gut started to clench again, telling me I wasn’t I safe.
CAAAAW!
There it was again. My fear rose to the surface like a tidal wave as my heart pounded like the continue beating of a drum. My palms grew sweaty. I looked up at the dark sky looking for a bird or something.
I saw nothing.
Maybe I was just imagining things. This place could be playing tricks on my mind. I started to reassure myself that I was okay, but I would still feel safer inside. I made my way out of the park at a fast pace toward a small abandoned grocery store down the road.
CAAAAW!
My comfort was instantly ripped away, like a bandage, but there was still nothing in the sky. I looked down in confusion and heard a gush of wind making a whoosh sound right over my head almost touching my hair.
What the hell?
Above me soaring higher now was a black bird; a very voluminous black bird. Its wings spread far out and its caaaw was very loud and powerful. It was just soaring in the air flying aimlessly. It looked like a crow. As I started to back away under a tree its head looked down toward me. Its evil red eyes—red¬ eyes?—burned into my frightened green eyes.
Shit.
It started to soar down, darting towards me. Its red eyes still stared right into mine. I panicked and started to run as it got closer and closer to me. My heart pounded as I ran. It was darting at me at the speed of light. I could hear the wind of the bird right behind me. Its large claws sprung out and its pointy large beak opened,
CAAAAW!

Chapter Four

Theo

I paced back and forth full of frustration. I’m always able to keep my temper in check but when it comes to evil and my brother; my temper cannot be held in and is let out in a rage. That’s why I try to avoid contact with him at all costs. He just thinks he’s so much better than me. All he does is think about himself and what he wants, regardless of anyone else’s feelings and the outcome of the situation. I felt angrier just thinking about him. The wind lightly blew as it always does, but I can’t feel it. I can’t feel anything thanks to Dakota. He has trapped me.
I thought of the west layer and shimmered out from the above parallel world to the underground of the parallel world. Within seconds I was surrounded by the comforting safe feeling of evil. The black solid marble floors lay underneath my feet, the walls and ceiling consisted of rigid rock covering everything but the floors and lit candles hung on all the walls lighting the rooms and hallways that just broke off into other hallways; like a never ending cave or labyrinth.

Down the hall the smell of burning flesh arose in the air. I walked down the hallway as candles flickered from my swift pace. The next room consisted of exactly what the last room had; but this one had an enormous bond fire in the middle of it. Three men in black robes and black eyes looked up at me. Their faces were covered in bright red blood and flesh. They looked like animals. They have no humanity left, no human will to make good choices. The only choice is evil. Our kind, Shadow Angels, do not feel physical pain or a touch of the flesh. Unlike spirits trapped on this plane, we do not feel sadness or pain or guilt. We only feel violence, anger, evil, hunger, and occasional lust.
In the fire were the rejects. The people who were trapped on this plane that we changed into Shadow Angels, and then their bodies rejected the change. Common for the weak ones. But not common enough to where we recruit no new angels. We get plenty of those. I never really associated with one though. They are kept at the east layer of the cave for as long as they need to accept the change and mature. If they reject the change, they are basically tossed in the pit for us to feast on. The west layer is where I am now with all the changed and matured angels. When were not on duty above, this is where we stay. The North layer is Vincent’s layer all to himself. He is our ruler, and all rulers get better than the rest of the averages. I have only been to his layer once, when I was first changed. Never again have I gone there. If you are asked to go to the North layer, you are either in great trouble, resulting in a punishment filled with great pain maybe leading up to death, or you are being much rewarded. And lastly….the south side. The only layer I have never stepped foot in. The layer that no one really wants to step foot in unless it’s the last resort.

I shook my head wishing to rid the evil that has been forced upon me and everyone else here. It’s the evil in us that we cannot get rid of because it feels so right.
Like a drug.
The evil, the drug, which took away our humanity.

“What are you staring at?” I looked down at one of the men feasting. I was rather surprised that the man took a breath to speak and not shovel flesh into his mouth. “Do you want some?” he asked. I looked down at the gnawed on arm. I shook my head no. “Come on Theo. You never feast with your fellow Shadow Angels. Why is that?”

Why is that? I will tell you why. I am not at all like them. Yes, I am evil. But I am definitely the lesser evil of all the Shadow Angels. I eat my flesh once a day privately. I do not rip apart the flesh like an animal. I might just have a speck of humanity left in me and I do not plan to rid of it anytime soon. I may need it. I cleared my throat,

“I prefer to eat alone.” I said solemnly.

“Always alone. Always speaking the least amount of words needed. Always hiding away. Why is that?” said a second cocky voice. He took the hood off and looked up.

“Hello Cameron,” I said with a sigh. His dark red and black spiked hair seemed more vibrant against the flames of the fire. He licked the remaining flesh and blood off his black ball finger tips. He stood up and looked me straight in the eye. Cameron was always the cocky violent angel that envy’s much power. He feeds more than most and is basically an animal consisting of no more humanity. The evil took over him 101%.

“May I pass by Cameron?” I asked stiffly.

“Always so polite and formal when you speak. Now tell me, why is that? Why do you keep to yourself? Why aren’t you a true Shadow Angel? Please, enlighten us Theo, or feast with us.” He was looking for a fight, a fight to gain power.

“Cameron, it’s in everybody’s best interest if you just step aside and let me pass.”

“Is it now?” He asked with a cocky smile showing his rotting black teeth.

“Yes.” We both stood there for a long moment staring into each other’s eyes. Eventually, Cameron stepped aside and extended his arm to let me pass. I could have easily just shimmered past him, but I was not going to give him the satisfaction of winning.

I walked past him and the fire, but as quickly as I walked by, a quick thorn ball hit me. Though, our own powers do nothing to us, it does let out anger and give us satisfaction. As always, I felt no pain. I just looked at the peeling flesh and blood on my shoulder. Unaffected, I ripped off the pealing skin creating more blood still feeling no pain.

“Here.” I tossed them my ripped flesh. “To add to your consumption.” Cameron’s face filled with rage. He tossed another thorn ball. I ducked quickly dodging the ball. “Cameron, you don’t want to start a fight. You know how Vincent feels about fighting among our own kind.”

“Well then.” He looked at the other two angels still feasting on the floor. “No one’s going to tell the big boss man. And if someone does, I will know it’s you. Then, I will come after you.”

“If you live through Vincent’s rage.”

“Is that a threat Theo?”

“No. I do not threaten others. I warn others.” Another thorn ball flew through the air skimming the top of my buzzed black hair. I wanted to fight back. Hit him smack in the face. I took a deep breath. I needed to control my anger, but I was so furious with Cameron and my brother. Oh, how I have so much disdain for Dakota. Thinking of his name made me full of anger, so before I did anything I would regret, I shimmered out, giving the victory to Cameron.

I landed at the old farm where I spent most of my time avoiding the creatures of the under layers. Their immature evil violent ways just makes me hate myself more, because sadly, I am the same thing that they are. And that would be all Dakota’s fault.

I wandered to the back of the farm into the back room.

My room.

The walls were plain, unpainted wood, like everything else here. When I first sought this place 161 years ago it was empty. It isn’t now. I have used the few resources I have here to make a few things to complete my room. In the corner there is a wooden chair and table with drawing utensils and paper scattered all over. In the other corner there is an easel with more paper and drawing tools. And in last corner are piles of crumpled paper. I am a very picky, precise artist. It has to be exactly what I want, and if it’s not, I do not settle for almost. It has to be exactly the way I want it.

Perfect.

I sat down on my chair and picked up a pencil. I needed to get my mind off everything. I pushed Dakota out of my mind along with Cameron, and my charge that I can’t seem to find. I grasped the pencil tightly, cleared my mind, and drew. I let my hand go the way it pleases as my mind kept the creative flow going. My hand drew a girl, the same girl that always pops into my head. I have never met her or seen her before in my life, but I somehow feel like I have. I always draw her. Her nude, beautiful pale white skin covers her fragile small body. Her complexion is clear as day. Her large green eyes stand out against her white pale skin as her blonde hair gently falls down past her shoulders. For some reason, she is never smiling. Her eyes are always focused appearing to be looking into another world with her frowning mouth. I let my hand continue drawing. She was sitting in a river holding her knees against her chest covering her breasts. Her blonde hair was blown back and her eyes still stared far off. What was she thinking about when she stared? I stopped thinking so much and let my hand continue drawing her beautiful body.

Time always escapes me when I draw, which isn’t a problem, since all I have is time. I am stuck here forever with nothing but time. Now that my mind is cleared and less agitated I can continue looking for the boy.
The ignorant pain in my ass boy.
I pull a scrap of cloth out from in my pocket on the inside of my long black robe. The cloth was black and white. It was a piece of the boy’s shirt. Now that I finally have something to connect me to him, it won’t be as difficult to find him. Still, not an easy task, since I am not a powerful angel, but it will be easier.
As my eyes close I clear my head one more time. I squeeze the cloth tightly in my hand, imagining the boy in detail. His pale white skin, his blonde buzzed cut hair, baggy clothes, abundance of piercings, and fretful personality. An image starts to form in my mind. I see gravel. Yes. I’m getting it! And just as I almost grasp the location a loud high pitched screeching noise rings in my head. I lose my train of thought.
I fall to the ground as the noise gets louder and higher. I grab my head and squeeze it. The pain made my head feel like it was going to explode. The ringing kept increasing. It wouldn’t stop.
“Ahhhh!” I scream in pain as the piece of the boys shirt get swept away by the wind. The only pain I can feel is the calling of the most powerful shadow angel. And he is calling me. Vincent wants me. And by the pain dominating my head; he wants me right now.

Chapter Five

Eve

I sat on the ground of the south layer, back against the rigid walls. My long black robe lay on the floor near my feet. I hate that thing. I felt much more comfortable in my leather black strapless dress. It hugged my body tightly all the way down to the middle of my thighs showing off my perfect body. My spiked, bright blonde hair sat right above my ears, showing my giant white scar, running from behind my ear all the way down the back of my neck. The scar would normally feel rough; if only I could feel. My unchanged blue eyes searched for Tyrone. I whistled for him to come.

Nothing.

I stood up and peered behind the corner of the wall, and I saw Tyrone coming my way. His red eyes looked up at me. He was so strong and well built. His razor sharp teeth showed as he chomped on his finishing flesh. The ground shook lightly as his paws pounded against the ground. As soon as he saw me waiting for him he raced toward me. When he reached me he stood standing up tall and proud.

“It’s okay boy. Relax.” He let his shoulders fall down and rubbed his head against my belly. I scratched his head. Tyrone was the only hound I would show any sort of affection to. Though, I don’t feel anything toward this hound, I once did when we were both alive. Even if I can’t feel love for him now, I just feel he deserves something for being the leader of all the hounds. He constantly keeps all the hounds in shape and trains them to be the best they can be. He is also the only hound who can control himself. All the other hounds are extremely dangerous; I only go near them if Tyrone is with me to protect me. I am just the keeper of the hounds and the crows. I look after them and feed them.

Most Shadow Angels don’t dare to come down here. No one likes the search crows and the hounds terrify everyone. They are very viscous, scary, and violent creatures used to locate charges that seem impossible to find. They are a last resort, because they cannot control their hunger, and can tear apart and eat anyone or anything if not properly trained and fed.

I went back to lying against the cave walls. Tyrone walked over to me looking at me with his red eyes in confusion. His black uncombed hair covered his voluminous body as I ran my fingers through it. It was not soft at all. It was crusty and bushy.

“I’m guessing you want to know why I called you over, eh boy?” He stomped at the ground with his excess strength. I nodded. “Okay. Well, today a shadow angel approached me.” He looked at me as if it was no big deal. “Let me be more specific. A shadow angel approached me inside my layer. He came all the way in, he was a rather convincing angel,” I said with a cocky sexual tone. I licked my natural red lips. Tyrone’s ears pricked up. “Yes. He came in Tyrone. I am waiting for him to return along with one of my search crows.”

It was true that an angel came into the south layer, my layer. A rare thing, but he was desperate.
Desperate for help, and lust.
He came in requesting a search crow. The crows are also very dangerous creatures I look after and feed. Search crows are used to locate a charge and wound them before sending the hound out to retrieve them; if you are brave enough to send a hound with the possibility of your charge being ripped to pieces. He was very vague about his charge and why she is so important, that he came to my creatures for help. She seemed important, very important. Curiosity kept rising inside me every time I thought about why he needed my help. Envy and lust arose more. He was very sexy and when my hands touched his body, his bare chest, my temperature rose and I could not contain myself. I have to see him again, touch him again.
So I anxiously awaited for the return of my crow so I could call him back to report on what my crow did. Then we would take whatever necessary actions need be taken from there. To keep my mind off his strong, naked, muscular body, I grabbed a sharp rock, like always, and cut into my skin. I watched the blood run down my leg. It slid down quickly getting darker as it went. It never fails to fascinate me. It’s been almost 90 years since I have felt pain, or had any physical feeling. I don’t even remember what it feels like for the sharpness of an object to penetrate the skin, and then feel the warm blood run down the skin. I can’t feel anything, and I wish more than anything, that I wasn’t the monster that I am. I hugged myself tightly, wishing I could feel my own touch against my skin.
I sat there for a long while watching the blood run down my leg, and then dry. After it dries I pick it off like a scab and then do it again. It’s my pass time, other than having sexual infatuations with the other angels.

I sat there for a long while. I grew impatient, and hungry. Hunger is the only reason I ever leave my south layer. I don’t fit with the other angels….I am different. I keep to myself down here, with the creatures that make me feel okay with their presence.
I stood up and looked at Tyrone. He was hungry too. Guess I better pick up more for the rest of the animals too. I have to keep them healthy and strong. Maybe while I am out if my crow isn’t back with the man, I will pick up an after snack…A really nice after snack. A smile snaked across my face.
I threw on the hideous robe, tossed on the hood, and walked up towards the exit of the south layer. I walked up the stone steps that were damp with water. My feet echoed throughout my cave with each step I took. Once I got to the marble floor I kept going straight into the west layer. I meandered through the hallways of the cave, looking in each room, to see if there was feasting going on. I saw some lights flashing and flickering on my left. A fire was going, which meant there was defiantly flesh there. I took a left into the cave where about ten shadows angels sat eating like wild beasts; just like how my creatures eat.
Of course, I got the cave with the most angels, but the majority of them were men. Yes, women please me too, but men please me more. One of them would be my after snack. I would please them just like I pleased the angel who was just in my layer for a search crow. I think I really pleased him. I hope he comes down more often. There was something about his mysterious personality.
My thoughts went to his naked toned body and satisfaction rose in me. My fingers could almost feel his warm skin and when they ran through his black smooth hair. His black beautiful eyes staring into my blue eyes. He was one of the few angels who did not ask why my eyes still remain blue. I don’t know why my eyes didn’t change. Like I said, I am different. I feel different. I don’t belong. Thinking of this insecurity made me quickly feel uncomfortable, wanting to run back down into the safe solitude of my layer.
I walked over to the pile of flesh and body parts. It looked so tasty. My mouth watered as I reached to pick up the fingers for myself, and the limbs for my creatures. As I grabbed an arm, a hand stopped me by grabbing my wrist. I could tell his grip was tight, but I could feel nothing. I looked up at the face who grabbed my wrist.
Cameron.
“I am surprised to see you up here, Eve. Not hiding away in your dark layer with your creatures of the dark?”
“You are a creature of the dark, too, Cameron,” I said as I yanked my arm out of his tight grip. He nodded his head in agreement and grabbed a finger and shoved it in his mouth. It crunched as he bit down and sucked all the flesh off, within seconds spitting out the bone. I went back down to grab the arm I had dropped, but Cameron snatched it before I could grab it.
“What’s your problem, Cameron? I’m hungry and my creatures need food too. One day you may need one of my creatures to save your ass. So you better let me keep them strong and healthy.” The other shadow angels look up interested in what brawl Cameron could stir up now.
“You know, you’re right Eve-“Cameron was cut off by another voice, a woman’s voice.
“Eve, we all know you’re the slut of our kind. You spend your time all alone with weird dangerous animals, and when you’re not with them, you fill your time having sex with other shadow angels. So, would you get your food and be on your way. None of us want you here.” I don’t know who the girl is, but she made heat rise in my face and I wanted to slap that bitch across the face. But violence wasn’t something I approved of. Something I don’t feel as a Shadow Angel; I have another feeling in place of that.
A feeling that makes me very different.
My thoughts were running through my brain making me crazy. Right then, they were interrupted by the piercing sound of Cameron’s cocky voice.
“No. Wait. Don’t leave just yet Eve. I have a question for you.” I turned towards him. I really didn’t want to hear what he had to say, but I stayed to listen anyway.
“What do you want?” I asked, with the annoyance rising in my voice.
“All of us here are wondering, have been wondering for quite some time now, why your eyes are blue? You know I have been particularly interested in this for a while now.” He raised his eyebrows up and another one of his cocky smiles snaked across his face. He was getting satisfaction in bringing up my biggest insecurity, and the worst part is, that he knows what my insecurity is. And that is why I do not associate with him anymore.
“Goodbye Cameron.” I said and turned to walk away.
“What about your flesh you came here for? We wouldn’t want you to have to leave your isolated layer and precious creatures again, now, would we?” He licked his fingers getting every remains of flesh and blood off. At this point my anger was becoming uncontainable. His cocky voice, violent ways, and thinking he can get whatever he wants personality pushes me over the edge. Though, I do not feel violence like the others, I still feel everything else-lust, hunger, evil, and anger, and anger was definitely overpowering everything else. I clenched my fists at my sides. All the other angels peered up, their faces interested and full of anticipation. Cameron stood up.
“Cameron. My business is mine and mine only. You are not a part of it and never will be. You have no business questioning me or even talking to me at all. Don’t talk to me, look at me, or even think about me. Or I will come for you. So if you don’t mind, I will be on my way.” By the time I was done with my angry rant at Cameron, I had moved a lot closer to him. I stared into his eyes full of so much evil, so much bad. He is hopeless and I want nothing to do with him anymore.
“Eve. I know you won’t hurt me. You have never defended yourself and you won’t now. You know you won’t. Don’t fool yourself. You’re nothing. You are not one of us. Just like Theo. You both don’t belong here, especially you. So why don’t you just go to your reject cave before you piss me off more, and I’m forced to shed your blood some more.” He was very angry, and he is most violent when he’s angry. I didn’t want to get caught up in that, never again. But his words hurt. He made my broken heart carry more pain, yet again. It was his favorite thing to do before and he still hasn’t found a new hobby.
He’s right. I am different; I am not one of them. My blue eyes and lingering feeling of pain and sadness, instead of violence, proves it all. But I will never confess that to anyone ever again, no one. It stays inside me, and I stay inside my layer, where no one bothers me and the pain that bounces around my head, forever.
Cameron opened his mouth as if to say more, but he was cut off by a scream, a loud scream of pain-his scream? He grunted and screamed deeply in pain. He grasped his head, with his hands squeezing tight, and lowered his head past his knees. He dropped to his knees and ground his teeth together. All the other angels stood up and backed away from Cameron and their flesh.
A smile formed on my face. Seeing him in the only pain he can feel is so satisfying. What made it even more satisfying was that I knew exactly why he was in pain and the pain, he was feeling now, is nothing to what pain is about to come. I turned around and walked away with a smile on my face as Cameron’s groans and screams of pain grew louder.

Chapter six

Cameron

“Arrrrrr!” I screamed. Pain burned through my head. I couldn’t think straight but I knew this pain could only mean one thing, Vincent was calling me. From the corner of my eye I saw Eve walking away.

That bitch.

I would get her back. This wasn’t over. I couldn’t think of revenge and finishing this right now. The pain was getting worse. I knew the only way to stop it was to accept that Vincent was summoning me and go to his layer.
So I did.
I thought of the big heavy black doors separating his layer from ours. As soon as the image was in my head, I shimmered.

The pain and burning slowly started to fade away, as I stood in front of the tall black doors with the large circular handles that hung on them. For an average mortal or spirit these doors would be impossible to open, but with us, strength isn’t generally a problem. It’s a perk that came with our powers.

I have only actually been in Vincent’s layer twice, and those times were both a very long time ago. Once when Dakota sent me here on false accusations, and once when I was first created. I am one of the older, first Shadow Angels created. I died in 1801 making me a Shadow Angel for over 200 years. Vincent started our clan then. It took him, as a lost spirit, a very long time to create the drink that first transformed him into what he is now. How he did it is extraordinary. Most of the ingredients, along with the Sword of blank?, used for the transformation drink to work, are lost in the depths of Netherworld. It doesn’t matter so much now; we don’t need it, unless our breed began to minimize tremendously.
Vincent is almost 300 years old. He is the most wise, most powerful, and most evil. Making him also most feared.

It took him a long time to make himself as wise and powerful as he is now. Damien is a perfect example of how inexperienced and blind we were back in the beginning. We didn’t see what he really was, and he was defiantly not one of us.

I put my mind in the present, as I still stood outside of Vincent’s doors, which would lead me into his layer, the north layer. Two guards stood in front of each door. They held no weapons because they had their powers. And since they are a part of The Circle they have greater powers than everyone else, but not as high as Vincent’s. You would think that since I have been an angel for so long, and that because I feast so much, that I would be one of Vincent’s men in The Circle. I am more powerful than most, but my “methods” and “habits” are not needed nor wanted in The Circle, according to Vincent. But everyone knows why I am really not a part of The Circle. They did not believe I was who I said was. The memory, of the night, of my initiation started to replay in my head.

There I stood, in the middle of a circle of nine men. Their long black robes were identical to us regular Shadow Angel’s. The only way to distinguish a Circle member from the rest of us is when they take off their hoods, revealing their abstract, vine tattoos entwining together over the tops of their bald heads, twisting and circling down the back of their necks.

As I stood in the middle of the nine members, their heads stayed down, looking at the floor as the anticipation kept rising inside me. I stood there waiting for a long while. Eventually Vincent appeared; his power filling the room. His black robe had red twisting, abstract vines swirling on it. His robe, which covered his body, with his hood covering his face, was different than the rest of ours. The other men’s heads came up and they all bowed down. Just being in his presence was overwhelming. You didn’t even have to see his powers to know how powerful he was.
I had only been in his presence, in his layer once, when I was first changed and that was 50 years ago (1851). And even now, I wasn’t actually in his layer, and I wouldn’t be in it until I was an actual Circle member. But it didn’t take a genius to know to bow when he walked in. So I motioned the other men, bowing down far and holding it until Vincent waved his hand. All the men stood up tall in a line facing him and took off their hoods. Their amazing tattoos covered their heads.

“Men!” Vincent’s tone was deep, loud, and powerful. The men stood still as statues staring straight at him with their deep intense black eyes. I grew hungry with envy. I stood behind them respectful.

Hopeful.

Desperate.

“We are here right now to replace Damien, our not real brother who ruled The Circle for 50 years. It was all a lie full of utter betrayal. His banished soul will not be weight left on our shoulders. A tenth Circle member will be united with us today if he passes the initiation. We will move on stronger than ever. But after the horrible incident that happened recently with Damien, there will be changes.”There was silence. “There will be no leader of The Circle. I will never let someone rule that close to me again. No one will try to destroy us like that. No one will be trusted to be that close to power like Damien; never.” Remembering what Damien did to all of us made me shudder and anger filled inside me. How could we not know what he really was? He was one of the first Shadow Angels- at least that’s what we thought for so long. We let him rule The Circle. We let him be one of us. We should have known what he really was.
Vincent started walking down the steps he stood upon. I needed to focus. This was the most important thing right now. I would say this matter is life or death, but I am neither alive nor dead.
The nine men parted to let Vincent pass. He walked down in front me and stared at me for a long while, making me nervous. It was so silent I could hear everyone’s breathing. Vincent stepped closer, his feet echoing through the silent cave.

“Cameron!” His voice boomed; echo bouncing off the cave walls and rushing into my ears, sending shivers through me. I went down on one knee and bowed my head down in respect. “Get up.” He said bluntly. I obeyed him, quickly standing up. His deep black abyss-like eyes stared into mine.

The other nine men were in a line behind us, facing me and Vincent with blank expressions on their faces. A tall, well built, black man took a step forward from the line. He removed his hood revealing his bald tattoo covered head. It was Darius. He was also one of the very first Shadow Angels. Seeing the intricate abstract tattoos filled me with anticipation. They symbolize who they are and how powerful they are. The man stepped closer to me; the room was still dead silent.

“Cameron. Upon your request, you wish to be one of us. Circle members are not chosen at random. I am here to read you the rules, old and newly established ones.” He reached into the inside of his robe and pulled out a scroll. He opened the crumpled old paper and began to read with a loud, confident tone:
“All Circle members must be worthy and trustworthy to not only us Circle members but to Vincent, leader and controller of this plane The fact that you are at this step means that Vincent has agreed to have a vote on you and then proceed with the binding process. Before you arrived, we voted, seven out of nine said you are worthy. You passed step two.
All Circle members must serve our leader and follow commands with no hesitation. They must fulfill their daily duties on assigning charges to Shadow Angels, and putting new Shadow Angels where they belong in the layers. East is for newly changed Shadow Angels so their bodies can have a high chance of accepting the change and not rejecting it. If they fail to accept the change, they will be sent to the fire, where their bodies and flesh will be burned for our consumption. If change is accepted, we must put them in the west layer, where they will remain, unless out searching for their spirit charge amongst the planes, or summoned elsewhere. As of now, there is no established ruler of The Circle. The one and only ruler is Vincent. Shadow Angels will carry out duties and follow his orders.
Circle members are still required to follow all rules: There is no fighting amongst our own kind. Failing to follow this number one rule will result in a painful summoning by Vincent and the wrath of pain he will inflict on you. All Shadow Angels who have charges have a month to locate then change their charge into one of us. If they fail to do so, a painful punishment will result in that. If another Shadow Angel changes your charge for you, the result will also be a painful punishment. And any objection to orders or questioning authority will result in the same way. Your job is to make sure all Shadow Angels follow these rules.
Now, step three. The initiation as of now is blood related. Blood must be shed. Red blood needs to be seen to prove you are a real Shadow Angel and not a fake like a previous member. Upon passing initiation, various swirling vine tattoos will appear on newly shaved head and down the neck making you an official member. If you fail to follow or do any of these things, execution will happen immediately.” The man closed the scroll and stepped back into the line of other Circle members.
Vincent looked at me. “Cameron.” We lose our last names when we become a Shadow Angel. “Do you agree and accept the following terms that have been recited to you? Do you swear to be loyal and trustworthy at all times, and carry out orders and do your job?” I took a deep breath and confidently said:
“I accept and agree to all rules and terms. I swear to always be loyal and trustworthy. I swear to always carry out and obey any orders given to me.” These were not just words, not just a simple sworn oath. This was it. I was swearing my life to our leader. This wasn’t a simple accepted matter. This was bigger. I was going to be one of the most trusted Shadow Angels to roam this plane.
So I thought.
“If you truly agree to this oath, give me your left hand.” I put out my left hand. I looked at the tops of the hands on the other nine men. A long white jagged scar ran across the tops of their hands from initiation.
Vincent pulled out his foot long jagged knife. Of course, I wouldn’t feel a thing. The point of this was to make sure my blood was red. This was not part of the oath before, but once finding out that Damien’s blood was black, this is required.
Vincent slammed the knife down hard and deep into my hand making a slick, cutting noise heard in the silent room. Many smiles sneaked upon the other members faces. Red blood gushed from my hand and dripped down onto the floor. It kept pouring as Vincent watched intently. It quickly started forming a puddle beneath my feet.
This was it.
I’m about to become a Circle member.
The most powerful angels next to Vincent.
This was really happening.
So I thought.
And then, there was Dakota.

I shook the memory from my thoughts. Just thinking of it enraged me, making me want to slam Dakota’s head into the cave walls. Also, remembering Damien made me even angrier. Thinking made the pain, recently overpowering my head, linger back in.
Soon enough, the giant black doors were slowly pushed open by a tall buff man. His hood fell off his head showing his entwining vine tattoos circling against his black skin. It was Darius. He saw me and nodded his head, signaling me to walk in. I walked past him with envy.
I stood in a giant room. Marble flooring lay under my feet. Fire surrounded all the rigid walls of the cave just like it did the last time I was here. I walked farther into his layer. He was nowhere to be seen, and Darius closed the doors and left. I walked up to some steps. Above the three steps were two thrones. They had tall backs and black vines swirled all over it; up and down the backs and the legs. The one to the right was Vincent’s throne, and the left belonged to no one. It has always belonged to no one for over 300 years. It would one day be hers, the girl who will fulfill the prophecy. But who knows when she’s going to come.
In between the two vine-covered thrones was a vase spurring out fire, as it always has. Nothing was different in his layer. I scratched my sore head wondering where Vincent was. Part of me wished he wouldn’t show up, I have a bad feeling about this. But then on the other hand, this could possibly be a good thing.
Extremely good thing or excruciatingly bad thing.
I just want to know. I stood there, about 300 feet from the stairs to the throne, waiting.
“Cameron,” said a powerful voice. I quickly turned and began to bow, but Vincent waved his hand to not bow.
“You summoned me, oh devious one?”
“Yes I did,” he said putting his fingers in the fire and quickly pulling them out. He walked closer to me with the bottom of his robe skimming the black marble floor. He was silent making me feel incredibly anxious. I think it is something he enjoyed doing: terrify others. My eyes stared straight into his, trying not to blink, trying to stand my ground.
But he knew exactly what he was doing. He kept staring deeper and harder till I had to break. I blinked and moved my head quickly to the side. His power is just so overwhelming, and overpowering.
Vincent smirked, full of evil.
“Cameron, you are very stubborn, very evil, and very violent.” He put more emphasis on the word violent. Something sparked inside me, as if he might have changed his mind about me joining The Circle. But why now? That was so long ago. “Cameron. We spared you once before. Your blood was red, just like ours. So you are one of us. But suspicions still rose due to your flaming red hair, violent ways, and flaming passion for power. This is why you were denied a Circle member”
“The only reason that came to attention was because of Dakota and his lies!” I spat out. Just thinking of that night, enraged me to no end.
“It was brought to attention because we needed to be more cautious!!” His loud, yelling voice boomed with anger, bouncing off the cave walls. He walked closer to me powering over me, making me feel like I was shrinking into nothing. His voice more calm, but still furious said, “We needed to not let what happened last time happen again. We needed to take extra cautions. We didn’t ban you or execute because we had no proof you were an incarnation of him. You’re still alive and here, so be thankful, Dakota did what he had to.” He backed away. We all knew why Dakota did it. He wanted to take my place in The Circle. He wanted to one-up me like always.
“Yes. Of course.” I said.
“Now that that matter is cleared up. It’s time for the real reason you have been summoned here. We are waiting for the other man I have summoned to arrive.” My fingers started twitching with anticipation. The large black doors started to open again from the other side by Darius.
“My lord. He has arrived.” Darius moved to the side to let the other Shadow Angel in.
There stood Theo.
At that moment, I knew exactly why I was summoned here.
My eyes stared at Theo with anger. It was silent; the only sound heard was the sound of the surrounding flames of the fire flickering back and forth.
“Cameron, step forward,” Vincent said in a cool, calm voice. As I stepped forward my radiant red hair matched the flames. “It has been brought to my attention that you have been fighting amongst your own kind, meaning Theo.” I looked back at Theo, eyes engulfed with hatred towards that pest.
Why would he dare tell?
“Sir, I believe you are mistaken-“ I spit out.
“Are you questioning my knowledge and authority Cameron!?!?” His voice boomed, echoing off the walls of the cave. The flames seemed to shake from the loud wrath in his voice. I took a step back, making Vincent take a step forward. My words were to get caught in my throat. “Well!?” He yelled again, face twisted with anger and power.
“I-I was just feeding and-” Vincent cut him off:
“Just feeding... That’s all you do is feed! And the more you feed the more satisfied you feel; the more powerful you feel, ultimately making your already raging temper and violence go into an uncontrollable havoc!” He didn’t sound anything but angry, the only real emotion we feel. I was speechless, for once, and had nothing to say back, which was probably a good thing in this case, because I wouldn’t want to be in more trouble then I am in now. I’m caught, and it’s all Theo’s fault. Oh, is he going to be in a world of heaven from here on out. We weren’t friends before, nor were we enemies. But now, we are definitely enemies.
Theo just cowered in the back ground, like he always does, as Vincent stands tall and confident, towering over me.
“You’ve given me no choice Cameron.” He looked deep into my eyes. Before I could blink or even prepare for what was about to happen, it happened. I fell to my knees with a loud cracking sound as they hit the cave floor. I yanked at my hair and screamed in agony. The pain that I haven’t felt since the last time I was here, because of Dakota, was gnawing at my skin and into my flesh, with sharp, long, teeth. As the sharp pain violently ran through my blood and veins deep, wide gashes ripped my skin open, pouring out blood. An intensified pain, sharper than the others, pierced my temples and traveled through my whole head. My head rang and pounded as I felt a gash open vertical to my eyebrow. Blood poured out and into my right eye, blinding my site for the moment.
Vincent’s eyes squinted harder and narrower, making a burning sensation rip through my skin. I screamed again, and again, and again, in short loud screeches. The burning boiled my blood to the brink. Red blotchy patches started to form on my skin over the deep bloody slits. I let go of my hair and pounded my burning fists into the ground. I bit my lip, hard, as the taste of metal flooded through my taste buds.
“STOOOOOP!” I yelled viscously at my leader. Not one of my wisest ideas. I glanced up as a smile snaked across his face, and he squinted again. The already excruciating burning, and stabbing multiplied along with my lungs feeling like a rock was dropped on them. I gasped for air as my lungs collapsed. I clawed at the floor as if searching for something to grab on and squeeze with all the might left in me. I desperately kept gasping and gasping. His concentration was impeccable. He was in the zone that was full of power and pleasure. He wasn’t going to break his concentration now.
My body was drowning with the most indescribable, irrevocable, agonizing, unbearable, most tortuous, extreme pain I have ever felt.
And it wasn’t stopping. It kept coming and coming flowing through every part of my being.
I was suffocating,
My flesh was burning off in large fiery strips.
I was bleeding from the inside out.
Pieces of me were falling apart.
My head pounded like a drum being beat over and over again with great force.
My eyes weakened.
My fingers stopped clawing and relaxed. I had no more strength. This was it. He had finally decided to kill me. He didn’t want my arrogant, violent ways anymore. And just for that moment, right before I would die, again, I felt a pang of sadness wash over me. I glimpsed back and saw him.
My little boy.
My little Benjamin.
He ran through the yellow-green grass holding a red kite with that radiant smile on his face.
A tear slid down my cheek. The ringing in my head began to stop, and the tremendous emotional pain, I have been numb from for a long time, took over. My eyes started to close as a loud yelling voice sprung me awake.
“What are you doing!? Stop it!”
Immediately, all the pain evaporated-physically and emotionally. My body relaxed, and went numb. I sighed with relief. It was the best feeling ever-nothing. Nothing at all. Just the way I like it.
I didn’t get too used to it though. If I remember correctly from the last time this happened to me, the pain coming from Vincent will last just as long as humans would. The cuts and burns would remain with their pain till they healed at normal pace and scarred over.
I stood up, dizzy. The grueling pain from what just happened rushed over me like a wave crashing down. It felt like I was hit by one of those vehicles on wheels that the present world has, and ran over again and again and again, squashing everything in me.
“Arrrgh,” I moaned. I looked hastily over at Vincent, strongly disdaining him. His eyes narrowed at Theo. Theo was the one who stopped him.
Why would he stop him?
If he thought that helping me was going to solve anything, he was sorely mistaken. The disdain I still felt for him grew.
They both just stared at me and I hoped they didn’t see my moment of weakness at the end, when the tear ran down my cheek.
Why did I feel? How is that possible? The sadness, it couldn’t have been real.
I erased it from my mind then and there. It never happened and it didn’t matter. He didn’t matter. It was just a kid. A stupid, senseless kid and I no longer felt anything for the nuisance.
My head pounded with the lingering pain.
“Get out,” said Vincent. “Next time, no one will be here to spare you your life. You don’t even deserve it. Get out of my layer, and I swear, if I ever see your face in here again, I will kill you. And if you think that was bad, you have a lot in store for you.”
I bowed and stormed out. Darius pushed open the large black doors for me. And right before I limped out I glanced behind me at Theo, giving him the most evil, dirtiest look I had ever given. He just started blankly at me, but he knew what the look meant.
It’s not over.
This is war.
Game on.

Chapter Seven

Theo

I stood in Vincent’s layer with a straight face, even though I was deeply puzzled for two reasons. One: why did I save Cameron? I hate that lifeless beast. Two: Who told? I didn’t tell, and I’m as sure as heaven that Cameron didn’t tell. The pain that he had just endured looked excruciating. Maybe that’s why I stopped him, because I know that I’m next. Or maybe it’s because the rumors are true. It’s been said that right before Vincent kills you, and you’re about to die as a Shadow Angel, you feel emotion.
I’m not sure what triggered the emotion, but Cameron definitely felt something, due to the tear that fell from his abyss, black eye. Seeing one of the oldest, most corrupted Shadow Angels show and feel emotion was shocking. I began to think about how he did once, long ago, have emotions. It was the strangest thought to think of Cameron as a normal, pleasant, person. He might have had a wife he loved, and maybe kids he adored.
What happened to him?
What tragic life event changed the man he might have been to the monster he is now?
What inevitably trapped him here, making his emotions turn him into a monster; a Shadow Angel.
“Theo.” I broke away from my swarming thoughts of curiosity and looked over at Vincent. He glanced at the large, bloody wound on my bicep. “I never expected to see you here Theo. You normally stay out of trouble.”
“I do try sir, but you know how Cameron can be.”
“So you’re going to blame it all on Cameron?
“Well…Sir. He did start it, and I did not retaliate.” I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. “I followed the rules.” Vincent shook his head.
“You don’t get it Theo. It takes two to fight. And since I was not there to know the truth, you both are at fault.”
“There is proof on my arm!” I cried.
“You do not raise your voice at me!” His voice shook my soul. I needed to calm down. I was already in trouble, and I didn’t need to make it worse. I said nothing.
“You’re charge.” He started after a moment of silence. “It’s been two and a half weeks. What is taking you so long with this one?”
“I’m not sure sir. He just found his first ghostly power and is jumping all over the place. I haven’t gotten anything of his to help locate him. The piece of clothing I had was lost in the wind. It’s bad luck.”
“Luck is for when you first get assigned your charge. Then once you locate the spirit, which is the hardest part, it is then based off of skill.” He was right. This boy is scared, and weak. He’s an easy prey. But I just can’t seem to get my head in the game anymore. I’m always too frustrated with Dakota, Cameron, and consumed in drawing the beautiful women in my hidden shack by the river.
“You are getting distracted and that is in no way acceptable. So, you are here in for two reasons. Fighting amongst your own kind, and not doing your job 100%.” And before I could say anything to protest, it hit me like a thousand knifes stabbing every inch of my body. Or being thrown into a window and rolling in the shards of glass continuously.
The razor sharp pain was unbearable and excruciating. But I didn’t exactly want it to end.
Then, it felt like I was thrown into a boiling pot of water. My skin burned clean off, leaving red, blistered wounds. I screamed, but not exactly in agony, but in pleasure. It was the oddest thing: feeling. It has been so long since I’ve felt anything physically. This almost made me feel normal, and not a monster.
I embraced the pain with open arms, letting it engulf me. Letting it make me feel real. The look of pleasure on my face was not pleasing Vincent. He needed to see pain devour me. So, his eyes squinted, just like with Cameron, and he turned it up a notch. Little did he know, that yes, it hurt, but I liked the pain.
Slits and slices covered my body, streaming out blood. Bloody burn wounds still sizzled and boiled my blood. My breathing became difficult. This part I did not like so much. My thoughts in my head became blurry. My thoughts circled rapidly around my head like a swarm of angry bees. What happened next was not expected at all. My right wrist twisted in a way a wrist was never meant to twist. A loud snapping sound filled the room, and I let out a cry. I couldn’t move it without a sharp pain traveling through the veins of my wrist.
I looked up at Vincent and saw a blurry figure, but I could see that he was now pleased. Pleased to see me in pain and agony. And that’s when it the burning and slicing vanished. My breathing returned at a rapid rate, but the pain in my wrist was still very real. And in that instance, so was everything else. I did not get nearly as close to death as Cameron did, which is a good sign.
The wounds were going to hurt until they heal at a normal human rate. I breathed heavily holding my chest tightly with my left hand, and trying hard not to make the slightest movement in my right wrist, my drawing hand. Vincent gave a quick chuckle.
“You never do fail to surprise me, Theo.” He chuckled again, but this time a little harder. “You’ve always been different. But first saving Cameron, your enemy, from a painful death, and then welcoming severe pain.” He shook his head, quietly chuckling off in the distance again. I still clutched my chest staring at the ground.
I hate him.
I hate Cameron.
I hate Dakota.

All three of those things having something in common: Shadow Angels. You know what that means?
I hate myself.

I limped back to my shack, which I like to call the old farm. I cannot draw because of my wrist and I am in no condition to be searching for my charge. This is going to make my job ten times more difficult. I cursed at the world under my breath.
I sat down on the wobbly wooden chair I made in my shed. I squeezed my head trying to ignore the pain. I was also beating myself up because I lost that piece of clothing. The only way I was going to be able to locate the boy was from that. Now, it’s gone. Just like that.
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
I repeated that over and over again in my head till it was nailed in, good.
I shakily stood up, and limped around back to the river. It was exceptionally blue for such a dark, gloomy place. I rinsed off all my wounds as best as I could, trying not to flinch at the razor sharp stinging pain as the water touched the wounds.
Back in the shed of the old farm, where I draw, I admired the pictures of the beautiful girl. She’s not quite yet a woman, but still a beautiful, strong girl. The urge to draw kept poking and gnawing at me, but the horrifying pain in my wrist kept me from giving in. I left the shed to ignore the temptation. I stood right outside the shed, trying to relax my wrist. I had bandaged it up well back in the layer.
I luckily didn’t have to go to the east layer, where all the new Shadow Angels either accept or reject the change, to get to the infirmary (which is rarely used as it is). The thought of passing through all the souls being corrupted and changed into monsters to get to the infirmary, was angering and frustrating.
I was walking towards the east layer, which I have never really stepped foot in, accept for when I was changing. But not a single Shadow Angel ever remembers that part. It’s all a blacked out blur. We all figure that the pain and complex change our bodies are undergoing is so much that we can’t remember any of it.
About half way to the east layer, I luckily ran into Charlotte, the main keeper of the east layer. She deals with all the changes and tends to them till they reject or accept. She’s a tall, slender, red hair, which makes her black eyes pop out even more.
She stopped in mid tracks when she saw me. She could tell by my face that it was in real physical pain, and that meant she knew exactly where it came from. She has many dark brown freckles that always seemed to make her look less evil and intimidating. She put her finger up, signaling me to wait as she quickly strutted back into the east layer. She’s always been pretty shy. She doesn’t leave the east layer often, but that’s probably because she is always too busy to do anything other than tend the newcomers and occasionally feed. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t even have a charge. I just assume that all the newcomers are her charges, which is twenty more than the rest of us.
She returned as quickly as she left with some gauze. She threw it at me rather hard and just walked away swiftly. I didn’t say anything to her, but wrapped my wrist nice and tight. It hurt, but I knew it would help in the long run.
“Brother.” I spun around to the familiar dark voice I repented every time it was spoken. He chuckled. “Wow. You got the shit beat out of you. Not as bad as Cameron, but still pretty damn bad.” He wiped his upper lip, trying not to burst into laughing. Not real laughing though, an evil laugh that we only feel when we take satisfaction in the pain of others. I quickly stood up and stormed passed him, immediately filled with rage again. I moved quickly despite the stabbing pain thrusting in my legs.
“Wow brother.” Dakota had shimmered right in front of me, holding me back from moving by pressing his hand firmly on my chest. I grunted in pain. He let go. “That bad, huh? What did good ol’ Theo do to get into trouble?”
“Nothing.” I hissed. The bitterness I feel regularly always shows more when he’s around.
“That’s quite unlikely.” I sneered at him.
“It was your good friend, Cameron.”
“He is not my friend,” he snapped quickly. There was silence, as the wind howled. It gently blew Dakotas already messy hair in front of his eyes. He slicked it back to its messy position. “Did he get you into trouble?” He finally said.
“Yes. No. I don’t know.” I answered, wondering why I even still talk to Dakota, and inform him on my life. He chuckled again.
“What is that suppose to mean?” His black eyes twitched with curiosity.
“He started a fight with me. I did not retaliate. I did not break any rules. But, he did not tell. I did not tell either, I can assure you that. So, that means I have another enemy I have to worry about.” I darted my eyes at him, suddenly realizing everything.
“Well, brother. Cameron has very evil ways. You and I both know that. And-”
“You!” I cut him off abruptly; sweat dripping off my upper lip that was curled up with anger.
“What?” He asked picking at his ball finger tips. I didn’t say anything. He looked up to see my face filed with fury. “Woah. I won’t bring him up if he makes you that angry. Or, maybe I should so you’re true Shadow Angel colors will show.” He smirked.
“Shut up, you arrogant fool. You think I’m stupid enough to not know? I was always smarter then you. What makes you think that now that were dead, that it’s any different?” This was it. I wasn’t putting up with this anymore. All the bitterness I’ve kept in, all the rage I’ve kept from exploding over him is coming out now. His face darkened.
“What in the devil’s name are you talking about!?”
“You know what I’m talking about. Don’t play dumb, but that is what you’ve always been best at.” He refrained himself from lunging at me by gripping the tree behind him. He squeezed it with great strength, cracking it. But, he let go chuckling. What could possibly be so funny?
“You know what, this is good for you. Finally being what you truly are: a non-human, lifeless, monster.” He knew that would get me. I wanted to use the power I rarely ever use. The power we mainly only use to burn the rejects and to toast our food. He knew what I was thinking. “Go ahead Theo. Burst me into flames, we’ll see how that goes over with Vincent.”
“At least you won’t be here to tell. Your soul purpose is to make me miserable. You couldn’t leave me alone when we were growing up, you couldn’t leave me alone when I was a lost soul here, and you still can’t leave me alone as a Shadow Angel.”
“Hold up, brother. You think I told Vincent on you? I wasn’t even there. How would I even know?”
“How do I know you weren’t peering out from a corner, just waiting to ruin me to please yourself?
“How do you know someone else wasn’t trying to ruin you? Hmm? You said yourself you might have another enemy to worry about. I am already your enemy.”
“That proves everything!” My shoulders tightened and rose, ready for a fight. And before I could think about it, it happened. I shot fire out of my palms, aimed toward Dakota. He dodged it, falling to the ground.
“Theo! You are going to get yourself killed by Vincent!”
“No I won’t. You aren’t going to be around to tell.” I launched more fire towards his way, catching a tree on fire.
“You want to play dirty? Let’s play dirty.” He launched a thorn ball at me, as I jumped up about five feet high over it. He launched another one directed under my feet where I was about to land. My feet barley skimmed it, as it faded into dust. We do not fight because of pain. We fight because it pleases us. And even though there is no pain, there is shame to get hit or hurt.
Dakota breathed hard, as well as I. We stared deep into each other. Someone was going to make a move.
But when?
Should I go now?
He smirked at me with that cocky smile. The tree behind us crackled as the flames consumed it. He twiddled with his fingers. He was going to shoot soon.
Any second.
In mid thought, I got a sense. My fingers tingled with power. I jerked my head up and looked around. My black, ball finger tips tingled more and more. Dakota looked confused.
He was near.
My charge was in my range. I ran from the fight, ignoring the pain in my legs as a few wounds split open. I needed to get this boy. I could feel Dakota on my heels.
I let the wind blow through my hair. I could feel his presence. He was very near. The stupid boy probably thought he would hide way out here.
To the right of me I saw a bush move, ever so slightly.
Gotcha.
I shot Dakota a look that meant back off. He probably wouldn’t, due to what just happened. I focused on the bush, trying to ignore Dakota.
I jumped over the bush and landed directly behind the boy’s sprawled out legs, on his shoe lace. He looked up at me with his white eyes growing with fear. I am not like Dakota when I change my charges. He’s cocky and evil, full off satisfaction. I just silently press my black ball finger tips to their skin, not saying a word as they scream in pain. I ignore their pleads to stop. They soon grow weaker and quieter and pass out. I deliver them to a garbage shoot in a tree above the east layer, where they fall down into a pile of other changed spirits. They then wait to be tended too, and discover their fate; accept or reject their transformation. For some of them, when they are changed it’s the last thing they remember. They won’t remember being tended too, rejecting the change, and being thrown into the fire. They are long gone by the time they reach the fire.
With this boy, I just wanted to get it over with. He’s been a pain in my ass, and I want to be rid of him. I know already that he won’t survive the change. I reached down for him. He quickly tried to stand up, but couldn’t because I was on his shoe lace.
Wimp.
He kept yanking his foot and eventually broke free of the shoe lace, ripping it. He still couldn’t get up. So, I grabbed him by the shoulders and lifted him straight up with my powerful strength. His feet hovered right about the ground. His already white eyes became whiter and his face drained of color. I started pressing my fingers into his shoulders, tingling with massive power.
“Please. Please stop. Ahh!” He yelped in pain. “Stop it!” My face remained emotionless. But before any poison could really get into him, a loud BOOM filled all of our ears. Bright light filled the sky to our right. What the hell? I dropped the boy in shock. He hit the ground with a loud thump.
Dakota also looked around with curiosity. I didn’t know what it was, but I felt a lot of power. A very powerful gust of wind swept over us, almost knocking me over. When I looked down the boy was gone. My head shot up. I frantically looked around. About a yard away was Dakota holding the boy by the front of his shirt, his feet dangling off the ground. He had a huge smirk on his face. The boy was still scared out of his wits. And before I could shimmer over to them, Dakota let him go. He dropped down, and within seconds a translucent, shimmering white tornado swarmed around him, consuming him, and he vanished.
The smirk on Dakota’s face turned into a curled up smile, full of so much pleasure it made my eyes sting.
Bastard.
Before my rage would get the best of me again, I bent over and picked up the shoe lace from the boy to help me locate him a little easier, and shimmered out.

Chapter Eight

Jared

I feel like I’m in one of those horror movies. The ones where the scary, unrealistic monster or demon is always after someone, and no matter where they run or hide, it always finds them. Inevitably, leading to killing them with gore and guts. The thing is, I’m already dead, so I don’t know what this dude wants with me.

I’m happy I found that thing, where I transport out by a tornado type swirl. It saves me every time. Even though I have it, I can’t help but always feeling so anxious. I never feel safe, but whatever. I’m sure I could take that guy…

I think what bothers me the most is the loneliness, and all the questions I have with no answers. The loneliness just makes me think of all the shit I seem to still feel, and the unanswered questions just makes this place scarier. I assume this place is hell, but I don’t see fire and pitchforks everywhere. Wait, I take that back. The guy that’s always chasing me and the other cocky guy got into a brawl just a minute ago, used fire, out of their bare hands.

It’s insane. This is unreal. All these powers and mysterious happenings can’t really be happening. Like that bright light that just filled the cloud covered sky. A loud BOOM filled my ears, even shocking those guys. I can’t be complaining though. It saved my life. It gave me time to escape, along with that cocky dude letting me go. I get a vibe that those guys have some beef between them.

I shook my head. Is this all that’s for left me? Am all I going to do is run for the rest of eternity? Am I doomed to complete loneliness, my only company being evil demon guys wanting to hurt me?

Extremely lonely people go crazy. Or maybe I am already crazy.

I sat on the side of the curb near where the bright light had just happened. I needed to stop thinking. But I just kept on thinking about the life I left, the life I surely didn’t miss. But, I’m not too fond of this life either. Everything was still here. Everything from my life before followed me, and its haunting me. My last night alive in that world replayed in my mind:

Bang! Bang! Bang!

I ignore it.

BANG! BANG!

The knocking was getting harder and harder, pounding against my ear drums. I know exactly who it is, and I am definitely not in the right mind to answer it.

“Jared! Jared! Let me in!” Her voice was getting angrier. “Jared Suel. I will break down this door!” I know she won’t be able to do that. I can’t even break down my front door; there is no way my girl friend is going to be obtaining super strength all of a sudden.

I looked around seeing the dozens of empty beer bottles and few empty vodka bottles scattered throughout the living room. In the fridge I still have four bottles of vodka, three bottles of whiskey, and two bottles of tequila. I hadn’t originally planned to drink them all tonight, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Right now sounded like a good time to drink them. My dad wouldn’t be home after the fight we just had. He would be out selling his drugs. He claims he doesn’t use, but I know that all the psycho, crazy things he does is not from him being “different.” His heroine changes him. My right eye still stung from the fist fight we got in over his drug problem and my drinking “problem”. I think I beat him up worse, and that’s exactly my point. No parent in the right mind would want to pick a fist fight with their son and then lose.

I stumbled over to the fridge in a daze, but right when I reached for the fridge handle, something stood in the way. It was a girl. Her arms were crossed, eyebrows furrowed.

It was my girl friend, Kipp.

“Ho-how did you get in?” I stuttered. Not because I was nervous, but because I am so drunk words just spilled out their own way.

“You left the back door open.”

“Oh.” I fidgeted with my fingers nervously. “Well, now that you’re here….we can have a party!” I slurred. She rolled her eyes. I moved towards her, world spinning around me. I already forgot why I came into the kitchen in the first place.

I grabbed her shoulders, probably squeezing too hard, but I really couldn’t tell. I leaned in for a hard kiss. Immediately, she shoved me off her. I stumbled back, losing my balance easily.

“What’s wrong babe?” I said in a drunken tone. She began to pick up all the empty bottles, throwing them into a trash bag.

“Seriously, how much have you had to drink this time? Come sit.” She put down the bag and grabbed my arm, dragging me to the couch as I stumbled. “Sit and stay,” she ordered me like I was a dog. “I am going to get you some water.” What made her the boss of me? I’m not her pet! I jumped up in a sudden rage and yelled:

“What’s the matter with you!? I don’t have to listen to you!” I probably sounded like a child, but I didn’t care. She slowly turned to face me. Sadness overpowered her eyes, like always, but it seemed more at the surface.

“What am I doing? I’m helping you! You have a problem. You can’t keep drinking like this. It’s bad for you. You have to stop!”

“Oh god! You sound like my dad!” I threw my hands up.

“Do you want to be like him?” She asked, eyes narrowing.

“I am not a drug addict!” I screamed at her. How could she say these things?

“Yet,” she said. I could see that she regretted saying it by how her eyes softened a little. She took a deep breath. “You have a problem, Jared. This needs to stop.”

“No I don’t have a problem. I don’t have to do anything.” It was such a cliché line, but it really does make sense. I stubbornly stood there.

“Not even for me? For us?”

Silence.

I didn’t know what to say. My thoughts scrambled through my head, trapped in a maze. In a smaller voice, she added: “If not for us…what about for you?”

“You’re making no sense! Why would I stop for myself!?”

“Because you have an addiction!” She yelled at me. I was furious. I clenched my fists tightly. My face turned red and hot.

“ I. Do. Not. So, shut up!” I yelled flinging my arms everywhere. She stared at me, sadness filling her face. She was quieter now,

“I can’t keep doing this. It’s gone on too long. Jared, it’s either me or the booze.” My eyes bugged out of my head. Did I just hear that right?

“What?” I said in shock. There was silence for a long while. She picked at her nails. “What!?” I repeated angrier.

“You heard me,” she finally said.

“You’re really doing this? After everything we’ve been through. You have no one! You only have me!”

“I can’t have two drunks in my life,” she said softly. I grew more furious, if that’s even possible at this point. My anger had reached its peak.

“If you don’t want me anymore, then just go. Get the hell out of here”! I screamed, still stumbling over my words.

“Jared. I love you. I can’t do…” she looked around at the empty bottles and stretched her arms out “this. I can’t do this Jared. You have to fix this. I will help.” He voice was still soft. She reached to grab my cheek, but I smacked her hand away. She rubbed the top of her hand.

“No.” I said. “You don’t want me anymore.”

“Yes I do. Really-”

“Shut up!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, cutting her off. “Just get out!”

“Jared…” She reached for me again, and right there, I lost it. I lost everything.

“You bitch! Get out! You don’t love me! My dad doesn’t love me! My mom killed herself because she doesn’t love me either!” I threw a glass bottle at the wall next to her head. She stared in shock, and fear filled her eyes. She was scared of me. I threw another bottle, the glass shards flew everywhere. Hey eyes watered, filling with tears, and she rushed out.

I threw more bottles, full of rage and pain. I didn’t think. I just threw and punched. Kicked and ripped at my hair. Out of breathe, I stood there. I could still feel the sadness, the pain was still there.

I went to the fridge, not realizing there were tears streaming down my cheeks. I rubbed them off so hard I practically punched myself in the face. I grabbed the rest of the alcohol. I went to my room and sat on my bed. I drank and drank, smashing each bottle once it was finished. Little did I know, at that second, that this would be my last time in my bed. Little did I know that I would never see sunlight again. Little did I know I would never see Kipp again.

I began to realize it as I drank and drank, and the pain still didn’t subside. That’s when I knew. Extremely drunk, I stumbled toward my garage with a rope in my hand.

I would never sleep in my bed, or see sunlight again. I would never see Kipp again. That part was right, but what I wasn’t right about was the pain. I thought once you died, it would go away forever.

Nope.

It haunts you forever. It’s never going to go away.

I felt the slightest comfort to know Kipp was not here, but then the comfort was swept away too quickly. I thought of the pain she has probably been feeling for however many days or weeks since I...died. Then again, she might be relived to not have to deal with me anymore. I might have done her a favor. She obviously didn’t want me anymore.

It was silent and lonely. The wind slightly howled. My blonde buzzed hair was too short to be tampered with by the wind. I bit my lip piercing, something I’ve always done when thinking. A thought flickered in my head. Maybe, I should go and check out that flashing light. If the two bad guys were shocked by it, it could be someone like me. Someone not evil.

I stood up and walked in the direction I was sure it came from. I needed to be brave. I could do this. I’m Jared Suel, and I am not a coward. I walked swiftly towards a park. It was one of the decent parks in New York. I was pretty sure this is where it came from.

It wasn’t hard to see that something was amiss here. I didn’t see anyone, but I did see something. A big black animal was lying on the ground. It was huge. I wasn’t sure if it was dead. I inched toward it, slowly and cautiously.

I was about a foot away from it. It wasn’t moving, and it didn’t look like it was breathing. I sucked in a deep breath and walked closer. It was covered in feathers. It was a bird, no a crow. A very big crow.

I grabbed it to turn it over to see its face. Its feathers were crusty and dry. When I saw its face, I jumped back. My blood heated and my skin tingled.

Its eyes were wide open; they were red as blood.

What in the hell is this thing? I wasn’t going to stick around to find out though. It looked dead, but I’m not taking any chances. I imagined my tan little house, and transported there.

I opened the door, peering into my house. I bet, right now, that my dad is sitting on where the couch would be. Just he’s in the real world. This isn’t real. I wonder if he can feel my presence. I wonder what happened when he found my dad hanging body. I’m sure he was the one who found it and had to clean it up.

The house was completely empty. There was nothing. No furniture, no life. Just like the rest of this dreaded place.

I hesitantly walked to my room. There was absolutely nothing in it. The tan carpet lay on the floor, and the only thing in here, was my built in closet. I opened the closet to find it completely empty. Not a single thing.

I exited my room, and right across the hall was the garage door. It seemed to be so far away; as if the hallway was stretched for miles. I stood tall, and walked towards it. I pushed open the door really fast, with great force. It banged against the wall, making a loud noise to fill the constant silence. It was really dim, but I could see that there was nothing in here at all. I don’t know what I expected to see; my dangling dead body?

I walked back to living room. I sat down on the floor where the ugly, peach colored couch would be, imagining that he’s sitting right next to me, just in a different world. All at once I feel so close to him, but so far away. We did fight, we did have problems. Sometimes though, we had some good times. We would sit on this couch together, and watch football. We’d have one beer each and plenty of junk food. We’d scream at the TV when the other team scored, or high-five each other when Giants scored a touchdown.

As I sat on the couch, I imagined this happening again. It gave me some confidence, and grief. I pushed the grief aside and focused on the confidence. That crow was evil; meaning it most likely wasn’t killed by one of those evil, black eyed dudes. That means that someone like me killed it in self defense. That means I’m not alone.

I’m going to find that person if it’s that last thing I do.

Chapter Nine

Jane

I stared at my hands as if they did not belong to me, but as is they were something alien. A tingling sensation made them numb. I flexed them, trying to make the feeling come back. I had instantly fled to the Kindergarten I attended when I was young the second I killed that thing with my bare hands. I sat down against the wall, in what would be the play room. It was completely empty, and the only light was a clouded dim, coming from the few windows.
The feeling was starting to return to my unfamiliar hands. They were hot and sweaty. I wiped them on my jeans, as I felt something crumple in my pocket. I curiously pulled out a crumpled up white piece of paper. It took me a minute to realize what it was. When I remembered, I dropped it on the floor as if it were poisonous or on fire.
I had totally forgotten I left that in my pocket.
I picked up quickly; afraid I would lose it somehow, and shoved it back into my pocket. There was no way I was going to read that now, or ever.
My hands were still sweaty and hot. They tingled a little less now. I put my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, afraid to use them. I don’t even know how it happened, but it did.
The crow was coming down at me so fast. Its red eyes were burning into mine. I knew it was going to hurt me, just like how that one guy wants to hurt me. What did he say his name was, Dakota? Well, the crow was like Dakota; evil. I didn’t know what to do. I started to run, not even thinking of using the tornado power, like last time. It was bolting down at me. I turned around and my put my hands out and screamed, embracing the pain of its beak ripping me to shreds. But right when I put my hands up, a force, so powerful, surged out of my hands. It was like a sonic boom. A wave of power rushed at the bird, knocking it back a good 30 feet. I flew back as well, not as far though. I hit the ground with a hard thud. Thankfully, not being able to feel the pain. Light filled the sky as this happened with a loud BOOM!
I stood up shakily. Just thinking about how my body was probably in epic pain, and how I couldn’t feel it, made me cringe. The bird lay motionless on the cement. I was almost certain I didn’t kill it. How could I have that kind of power? But, I did. My hands sparked with power. I walked towards the bird, readying for it to jump up and attack.
It didn’t though.
I reached its body, twisted in an abnormal way. Its body was still as stone and eyes wide open; red as fire. They seemed to be staring into my soul.
It didn’t look like it was breathing.
I killed it. I just killed something with a power.
Shock swelled inside me, but so did fear. Someone was sure to have heard the boom and would be making their way over here to see the commotion. I wasn’t sticking around to see who would show up.
I thought of my old kindergarten and transported away. The transportation is so fast. I’m on the playground and a few seconds later, I’m in my kindergarten. The tornado surrounds me, swirling fast, blowing my hair violently. Everything goes blank for a mere second. All I see is white, and I feel like I’m falling. It feels like you’re on one of those rollercoaster’s that drops you really fast and your stomach flies up to your chest. It’s scary, I feel like I’m going to be falling forever, even though it lasts only a second. Then, I’m safe. I’m at the destination I thought of. I no longer only see a white light; I’m standing straight up, not falling.
These powers do make me feel safe, but unsafe at the same time. I don’t know what they are, or how to use them. I don’t understand what Dakota is, or if there are others. I don’t understand anything here. Netherworld is what it’s called. This must be hell. There is no other explanation, and I’m trapped here forever.
I’m so overwhelmed. I’m emotionally exhausted. If I could kill myself a second time, I would.
I burst into tears. They poured out of my eyes covering my face in cascade of wet, hot tears. I cried hysterically, and loudly. No one was here to hear me. Being in this school made it worse, made the memories more vivid. I glanced out the window at the school playground. My favorite things to do when I was a kid was jump rope, and skip around the school arm and arm with my friends. Remembering all this just made me cry harder and think about it all.

“Cinderella, dressed in yellow, went upstairs to kiss a ‘fella. Made a mistake and kissed a snake! How many doctors did it take? 1! 2! 3! 4! 5! 6! 7! 8! 9! 10! 11!” The girl missed the jump, foot tangled in the rope. “Awwh! It took eleven doctors for you Sandy!” All the little girls laughed uncontrollably. I sat on the bench near the basketball courts, across from my friends playing jump rope. I nibbled on my triangle shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwich my daddy made me. There was also an apple, bag of chips, and two Oreos. He also left a note that said: Have a good day Buttercup. I love you.
It made me smile; it was the only thing that made me smile anymore.
“Hey. Jane!” One of the girls walked over to me, jump rope in hand. I gave a weak smile. “Do you want to play jump rope with us?” I shook my head no. “Why noooot?” She whined. I shrugged my shoulders. “You haven’t wanted to play with us at all the past couple of weeks. You don’t want to jump rope, play hop scotch, or even skip! Do you not like us anymore?” She put her hands on her hips waiting for an answer. I swallowed my mouthful of sandwich, peanut butter sticking to the roof of my mouth.
“I still like you. I just don’t want to play.” Which was the truth, but I left out all the details. She rolled her eyes, moving her whole head as she did it making her short blonde hair bob up and down. She had a lot of freckles under her eyes, she was pretty, and I’m sure her mommy loved her.
“Well you can play with us when you’re done being mean to us.” She stomped off and continued to jump rope with the other girls. I really wasn’t fazed by this. There was a slight pang of sadness that gnawed at my spine, but it went away. I really didn’t want to play, so there was nothing to be upset about.
I continued to eat my sandwich, the note safely in my pocket. I watched all the other kids play. Some kids played on the swings, other on the slides. The boys were playing Star Wars, running around the playground with their pretend light sabers. They made all the sound effects, spitting everywhere.
Boys are gross, I thought as I watched them play.
I continued this routine for the next month. I sat on the bench at lunch eating my food, watching the kids play, and keeping my daily note from daddy safe. I kept them in a box at home. It was a wooden box with jewels on it. My mom gave it to me for my last birthday. I figure that a box from mommy, and notes from daddy kept safe in it would make it seem like they were still together. Almost like I still had both of them. But it didn’t fill the void.
Slowly, I noticed that the notes stopped coming. They were in my lunch less frequently. Then, they weren’t in my lunch at all. The girls stopped asking me to play with them. The teachers didn’t ask if I was okay anymore. I figured daddy was just busy; that’s why he couldn’t write me happy notes. I just ate my lunch, happy to have my peanut butter and jelly sandwich cut in triangles.
Then, there wasn’t a lunch at all.
My stomach growled everyday for a week. At home one day, I asked my dad why he wasn’t making me lunches anymore. He was acting rather odd. He told me he was just very busy and he was very sorry. He kissed my forehead and tells me he will make my favorite food for dinner, spaghetti. He did, but he didn’t eat any of it. He just stared off into space, eyes wide. He hadn’t shaved in a long time, his hair was turning gray, and he was very pale. He was probably catching a cold.
The next day, I had a lunch. No note though, and no Oreos. At least it was something. I gratefully ate my lunch, even though one bite into my sandwich that was not cut into triangles, I realized there is no peanut butter.
Then, the next day there was no lunch. When I asked him again, he got very mad at me. He yelled at me. He told me I was ungrateful and selfish. His eyes were really red. He was so mad, and I was so scared. I was mad at myself for being ungrateful. He had a right to be mad at me. I went to my little brother, Zeek. He was four years old. He didn’t really understand anything, but he knew when I was sad. He just ran his fingers through my hair like he always did. It always made me feel better.
I never asked for a lunch again. I sat empty handed, friendless, and note less at lunch.
My seventh birthday came up. It had been almost two months since my mom left, and she hadn’t said a word to me, my dad, or Zeek. I hoped she would send me a card though. I ran out to the mail box on the sunny day of May 10th. The purple flowers I painted on it last year were starting to peal. I open the mailbox excitedly. I rummage through lots of grown up envelopes and catalogs addressed to my dad, Mr. Landice.
Nothing.
There was nothing from my mom.
I closed my mail box disappointed. I drag myself back inside.
For that birthday I didn’t get a jewelry box like I had last year from my mom. I didn’t have any friends over for a giant slumber party. I didn’t get to wear the birthday crown at school.
My dad did made spaghetti for dinner, and I scarf it down trying to put back on the ten pounds I lost that month. Zeek was looking rather bony too, but I’m a seven-year-old girl. What do I know about this kind of stuff?
Along with my birthday dinner, Zeek made a finger painting for me and daddy bought me a new pogo stick. I was so excited when I opened it, and he smiled. He actually smiled through is scruffy, unshaved cheeks.
After that day, little did I know that that would be one of the very few times, for the rest of my life, that I would ever see him smile.
I continue to attend school. It’s horrible. I have no friends, no lunch, nothing. I’m always alone, which actually isn’t so bad. I like it, but it was abruptly disturbed one spring day.
“Hey there!” I look to the side to see a short, blonde haired boy ginning widely, showing his two front teeth absent from his gums. He has freckles scattered amongst his face.
“Do I know you?” I said in an irritated voice, instantly feeling bad for being so bitter to a random person who never did anything to me. Little did I also know that one day, he would do many wonderful and horrible things to me.
“I’m new here, and I wanted to come meet you!” He said very cheerfully.
“Oh. Well, I’m Janice, but I go by Jane.” I smile weakly, entwining my dirty, blonde hair around my index finger. “You’re probably going to like it here, everyone is nice.”
Lies.
“Yeah! Everyone seems friendly.” He plopped down on the bench next time. I nonchalantly scoot over a little bit so he won’t be so close. He pulls out a plastic lunch box. It has the Star Wars title written on it with black sky and bright stars of space in the back ground.
Great. Another one, I think. “Where’s your lunch?” He asks. I freeze. My heart skips a few beats. What do I say? No one has ever asked me why I have no lunch. Let alone offer me anything.
“Um,” I stuttered, struggling to find words. “Well, you see I-”
“Did you leave it at home?” He asks, cutting me off.
“Yes! Yes, that’s exactly what happened! I’m so forgetful.”
“That’s silly of you,” he said, one eyebrow raised. “Good thing my mom always packs me two sandwiches!” He reached into the lunch box and whips out another sandwich like an over excited magician. “Do you like peanut butter and jelly?”
“Yes! It’s my favorite!” I declared, feeling my eyes lighting up. And for that second, I forget about everything. I forget about not wanting any friends. I forget about my sadness. I forget about my home life. For that second, as I nibble on the sandwich with a kid not like everyone else, everything felt okay. But, only for that second.

I dried my eyes. The crying finally stopped, but the longing of that day weighed heavily down upon me. I leaned against the wall, hugging myself, frightened. It’s like sitting around like a sitting duck. I’m just waiting for Dakota to find me and do what he wants to do to me. I’m avoiding the inevitable. He’s going to find me soon.
My heart was at a fast rate, as it has been since I got here. My body quavered. I breathed deeply, trying to calm myself. A silent tear of sadness and fear descended down my pale cheek.
“Why are you crying?” I whipped around, hair slapping me in the face. There stood two children. A silent scream escaped from me as I put my hand over my mouth in shock and horror. I stepped back, legs shaking with such intensity that I thought I might fall. “What’s wrong?” asked the girl. I love children, yet I was so frightened of these ones. They are going to hurt me. I can feel it. Dakota sent them.
I quickly turned on my heels and started to run, but the girl grabbed my jacket hanging on tightly.
“Let go of me!” I screeched. The other boy just stood there, silently. I fumbled with my jackets, trying to loosen the girl’s tight grip. She grabbed my arm with her other skinless hand. “LET GO!” I was terrified. I tried to free myself but I couldn’t.
I stopped trying, and the girl loosened her grip. She looked up into my eyes.
“Please don’t leave us,” she pleaded with her bright green eyes, just like mine. She let go of me and messed with her charred, blonde braided pig tails that hung just below her shoulders.
She wasn’t evil. She was a scared, lost little girl. She instantly reminded me of myself, which broke my heart. Their appearance was still horrifying, but I took a deep breath and gathered some more courage that I seem to keep finding deep inside me.
“Who are you?” I asked.
“I’m Jessie,” said the girl. “And this is my little brother Colin.” She pointed towards the silent boy.
“How old are you?”
“I’m eleven,” replied Jessie. “And Colin is nine. He’s really shy, and scared. But I’m going to protect him, even if I’m really scared and have no one to protect me.” Her eyes were filled with sadness and fear. I sat down on the cement of the inside of the kindergarten. I hit the ground with my hand, motioning for them to sit down. They did. When the boy got closer, I could see his face more clearly. I had to turn my head from the horrifying picture. He was worse than Jessie. It was silent for awhile. I didn’t know what to say, I just wanted to comfort them. Finally, I said,
“What happened to you guys?” The girl’s head shot up at me. I felt bad asking, but I need to know. I need to know why they had no healthy skin left on their bodies and only black and red blisters of burnt flesh. I needed to know why their hair was mostly burned off, except for the stray parts that were charred black as night.
They both didn’t say anything. So I asked a different question.
“Where are you guys from?”
“We are from New York. We lived in the apartment building on 46th Street. Only a couple blocks from here,” said the girl.
“I know,” I replied. “I live around here too. I lived in an apartment complex as well, just mines on the other side of town.” I paused. “Did you guys go to this school?” The girl nodded. “Me too. We have a lot in common,” I said thinking more of how we are all trapped here presently, then our previous lives.
“How did you die?” Jessie blurted. I stopped for a moment, breathing silently, yet heavily. What do I say to them? “Well, I was really depressed over every horrible thing that has happened to me in my long, miserable life and I downed a whole bottle of Tylenol.” Yeah, no. I quickly conjured up a story.
“Well, I was actually killed in a car accident,” I said taking the old man’s story from before.
“Did it hurt?” Jesse asked, picking at her blistered skin.
“Yeah, for a little while. Then my body finally stopped responding and I felt myself drifting away.” I didn’t realize it at first, but I was really talking about my experience right before I died. “Then, bam. I woke up in this place.”
“It’s scary,” said Jessie. “Our death was really painful too.”
“Was there a fire?” I asked hoping it wasn’t a horrible abusive story where the mother burns her children. But I embraced for the worst. They had to be stuck here for a reason.

“Yeah. We were home alone. My mom work’s really late to make ends meet. We didn’t have much, only each other. My dad died before Colin was born. He was a police officer.” A small smile escaped from her black lips. She looked up as if she was thinking, and if she had eyebrows, they probably would have raised up. “I always wanted to be a police officer. But anyways. I was making macaroni and cheese. I make it all the time. I don’t know what went wrong. A paper towel that was on the counter blew into the flame on the stove from the open window. It was really windy. And it caught on fire. I didn’t notice it till all paper towels were on fire along with the curtains. It happened so fast. Everything burst into flames. I didn’t call 9-1-1 right away. I needed to go get Colin who was sleeping down the hall. He’s the heaviest sleeper I have ever known.”

Colin looked up at the mention of his name, but went right back down to looking at the ground with his blue eyes, filled with anguish. My heart broke open for the boy. I wanted to cry but I remained still and listened intently. I avoided the urge to keep looking around, awaiting the arrival of Dakota.

“I ran to his room, coughing out all the smoke. He was dead asleep. I shook him awake. I slapped him. He finally woke up. He was so scared…” She whispered. “He wouldn’t come with me. He was too scared. I tried to pull and drag him. He’s just so stubborn!” Colin still didn’t look up and Jessie didn’t take a breath to stop talking. She just kept on going. “I finally threw him over my shoulders covering my mouth with my arm. When I reached the door knob it was so hot. It burned my hand. Our apartment was really tiny, and the fire was spreading fast. I quickly grabbed a shirt on the floor to use to open it. Right before I was about to open it I heard a loud crash. It took me a minute to realize it, but the china cabinet from across our room fell. It fell right in front of our door. I could hear the wood of the cabinet burning. Eventually, it started burning through the door. I ran towards the window. We couldn’t jump through the window it was to high up. I looked out and saw the fire trucks and people everywhere. I felt slightly better knowing they were going to save us. But…they didn’t make it in time.” Colin walked off. “The last thing I remember from that life was the screaming of Colin as he burned ashes.” The girl looked down.

“Do not blame yourself. It wasn’t you’re fault. It was an accident and bad luck.”

“Don’t you see!? It’s all my fault! We are both dead because of me. DEAD! But this is not heaven. Where are we? Are we stuck here forever!? There are bad people, I know it. And it’s my entire fault. I have to protect him. I owe him that much.” She’s quieter now. She stopped yelling. I patted her shoulder, commending her bravery to protect her brother. She was a smart brave girl. I’m still not sure why they are trapped her, but they are in my hands now. I opened my arms and she ran into them, crying her eyes out. I cried too, wishing I could take away all her pain and that memory. I ran my fingers through what was left of her burned hair, and let her cry.

“Shh,” I said. “I’m going to protect you both. You can count on that.”

Chapter Ten

Eve

He wasn’t going to be very pleased. He was going to be rather upset in fact, and if he’s upset, it could end very inadequately for me. I definitely do not need this to end poorly, but it was going to have too. There is no way around this. I could butter him up before the bad news, but the news was going to have to be delivered eventually about his charge. I’ve never quite understood the obsession that can come with a certain charge.
I don’t have charges like the other Shadow Angels. My job is to care for the hounds and search crows, train them, and feed them. When a Shadow Angel needs their aid and they don’t do their job correctly, I am punished. Even though I cannot control them once they are out searching for a charge.
I have had some trouble with a hound not retrieving a charge, or ripping a charge to shreds and devouring them instead of returning them back to me and the Angel who requested it. I have never had trouble with a search crow though. They can be violent creatures, and when it comes to fighting they are relatively skilled in self defense. But they simply can just fly away to safety. They can be easy to wound, but not easy to kill. They may not always be able to locate a charge, which is what their job is, but they always, always return. It’s in a bird’s nature to always return to its nest.
I know the crow is dead. I felt it when it died. The question is how and who killed it. I don’t understand why a Shadow Angel would kill it, but no one else should have enough power to destroy it. Certainly not a lost soul. What I assume is, Dakota has a fair share of enemies, and some Shadow Angel is tampering with his charge to get him into trouble with Vincent. It’s the only option that makes sense.
I paced back and forth, bare feet padding on the marble floor. He should be here any minute. I looked up at the ridged cave ceiling in anticipation. Some droplets of water drip down slowly as they always do. As the water hits the ground, it echoes off the acute cave walls, and bounces through my ear drums.
A few moments later, he shimmers in front of me. He flashed a quirky yet seductive smile.
“Darling, did you miss me already?” He asked in an arrogant tone with a hint of lust. “Or has the crow located my charge already?” He grew curious. He needs this charge badly; I can see it in his eyes. But he also needs sex, I could also see that. Surprisingly, for a man like Dakota, I think he needed the charge more.
My words got wrapped around my tongue. They were caught in my throat. Unable to get the right words out, I played with my fingers anxiously.
“Well?” He said, getting impatient, raising one eyebrow. Dakota is a cocky man, everything to him is a game, and we are all just his pawns. He never loses. The fact that I have to tell him that he’s lost means I have to see an exceedingly furious beast inside Dakota that I have never seen. Dakota doesn’t like to show his anger because that it is a weakness reflecting the act of loosing.
Just tell him Eve. Tell him before he gets madder. Just put it to him.
I cleared my throat.
“I have some bad news,” I squeaked out from deep within my swelled throat. His fists clenched at his side, making his knuckles blanch bright white. I stepped back a little, fear creeping its way in; deep into me.
“What kind of bad news?” He said through his teeth. “Where’s the crow? Has it returned?” I crept back toward him, tentatively.
“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.” I touched his shoulder, but he shrugged it off. I bit my lip, feeling nothing.
“The crow won’t be returning,” I replied with assurance in my voice that I didn’t really feel in actuality.
“Why not?” He said loudly, tone getting deeper. I stared at his face that was becoming angrier; peril was written all over him. I stared a little deeper. Beneath his cheeks covered with black stubble, behind his forming razor slit eyes, under his dark façade: was a man. I wanted to believe he could be good, and that he wasn’t like Cameron or all the other men I have known. I reached for his cheek and cupped it in my hand, longing for his touch.
He swiftly grabbed my wrist, yanked my hand from his cheek, and forcefully threw it down.
He was a man, and that meant everything. I do not love Dakota, as I do not feel love, but the fact that he is a man means he is cruel and heartless, even if he wasn’t a corrupted angel. How could I think he could care for me? We are Shadow Angels: corrupted, evil monster created to rid of anything that is not us. I only long for lust and acceptance.
The sadness, which still lingers with my not fully changed soul, filled inside and started to pour out. I didn’t show it though. But inside, I was desperate for an escape. How could I think the lust from Dakota could fill all my empty voids? I’m trapped. Trapped feeling the pain of my previous life, the regret of how I will never be able to be rid of Cameron, the longing of being understood, and this is all because I am not fully changed.
Breaking free from my sorrow, I looked up at Dakota.
“Where is the damn crow, Eve?” I could see him reaching the peak of his inquisitiveness. I needed to avoid the violence he would soon portray. I put myself back together, remembering the promise I made to myself: no one must ever know my weakness, and I must never show it. I have only broken this promise to myself once, for Cameron. It will never happen again, for no one.
I stood tall, remembering the seductive, strong willed bitch that I am seen as. This is the role I play.
“The crow is dead.” I said bluntly. I paused. His face didn’t change, so I continued, with great confidence. “It’s dead. Do you understand how rare that is? I’m not quite sure who did it or how it happened, but someone is blood thirsty, for your blood.”
“It wasn’t another Shadow Angel, Eve,” he said solemnly.
“How do you know? You have quite the list of enemies. Let’s see here: Cameron, Theo, Sapphire-”
“Shut up. I know of my enemies. You do not need to recite them. I can assure you though that it was not another Shadow Angel.”
“How can you be so sure? Who was it then?” I prodded, hands on my slender hips.
“My charge,” he said so easily, so gravely, so indifferent.
“You’re charge?”
“Yes. She is…special.” I rolled my eyes not in the mood for his game; his obsession.
“Be serious for once Dakota.”
“I am serious Eve!” He yelled, arms flinging. “You don’t understand who she is and how powerful she is!” He took a deep breath, calming himself down a little. I also took a deep breath. I don’t know if he’s telling the truth, but I need to avoid anything that could set him off right now.
“You’re charge, Dakota. I don’t know who she is or what kind of power she is obtaining, very rapidly I may add, but she killed my search crow. Killed! Do you know how rare that is and how much power is needed to accomplish this? How long has this lost soul been trapped here? I’m guessing it’s been quite some time.” I tapped my foot. Dakota looked down at the ground.
“A day.”
“Pardon?”
“This lost soul has been in Netherworld for a day.” He looked up. My eyes widened. A day? Did I hear that right? “A god dammed day!” He yelled, punching his fists into the rigid cave walls with great force, forgetting about trying to be calm.
“Wh-What? How is that even possible?” The conversation took a tidal wave of a twist.
“You don’t understand who she is and how bad I need her! You send another search crow out there immediately to locate her!”
“I don’t think that’s a good idea Dakota. If she is as powerful as you say, then another search crow is too weak. It would be a pointless, suicide mission.”
“Then…You send one of the hounds! They won’t just locate her, but they will also retrieve her and bring her back!” He was rambling like a mad man now.
“Dakota! Do you hear yourself? You know how dangerous the hounds are. They can easily rip you’re charge to shreds if they lose control. And the rage you would get from Vincent isn’t worth it. She seems important anyways. Don’t risk it.”
He stomped his feet on the ground and punched again, blooding his knuckles. Black blood seeped out. “She is important! You don’t even know! I need her, now. You get her for me. Right. Now.” He started to creep towards me, lip curling up in anger. Fear arose in me.
No way was this happening to me. I’m through with being a punching bag.
“I’m afraid this is your charge, not mine. And I can’t do anything more for you.”
“You better!”
“Get out of my layer!” I yelled, feeling much anger like a true Shadow Angel. His eyes bored into mine for a while longer, trying to intimidate me. I intently gaze back into the stare not breaking away. After a moment that seems to drag on forever, he breaks away, storming out at as his black robe viscously sweeps the marble floor.

I don’t like him.
“I know you don’t,” I said a loud.
He reminds me much of the other one.
“Surely, no one can be a bad as him Tyrone.” I played with my nervous fingers. I continued my pass time: cutting into my non-receptive skin, longing for the feeling of feeling alive. I just wish I could feel.
I know you do my dear. And I wish you wouldn’t keep doing that. No matter what, you are never going to feel, Tyrone thought to me. I blushed a little realizing I didn’t block my thoughts. I usually always block my private thoughts from Tyrone, and only take the shield down when we want to communicate.
Do you think he’s telling the truth? I thought to him, too risky to even say this conversation out loud, even though very few dare to come down here. It’s really not so bad, but people will always believe ridiculous rumors.
Telling the truth about what? Tyrone lays down, resting his chin neatly on his crossed over paws.
About his charge and her gaining power so quickly.
You never know. He is Dakota though. You never know with that man. But… He paused.
But what? I asked, not helping but feeling curious. I shouldn’t care about Dakota and what he does in his life, but I do.
There is the prophecy, he thought bluntly. I snorted. I really wasn’t even sure if I believed it was true.

The last lost soul that we thought was going to fulfill the prophecy created havoc and blew up in our faces, I thought, shuttering at the memory.

That is true. We were wrong. He was just an exceptionally powerful lost soul. We had good reason to believe he was the answer though. He had much power that he gained swiftly. He was envious for power and opened the portal, the Soul, to travel to the living world.

But he never returned. Do you think he found the reason why he was trapped, let go, and moved on into the afterlife?

No. I believe he is lost in the Soul. Trapped in the dark, never ending, shadow portal, just like Damien. That’s what one of the hounds reported back to us when they went through to retrieve him.

Yes, I remember. We were so scared that we had lost him: our only hope to fulfill the prophecy to take over Satan’s layer. I remember so many Shadow Angels frantically forcing me to send hounds to bring him back so someone could change him, since us Shadow Angels cannot travel through the portal.

Then you remember the hound telling me he wasn’t the answer, that he was just an exception. You remember him saying we were all wrong and that he didn’t matter to us and the prophecy.

The prophecy did say it would be a woman, I pointed out.

Yes. It did. I don’t know, but Vincent believed he was it in some type of disguise or trick. It was probably because of Damien. He made him not know who to trust and who was real. There was a long pause. I kept pondering on that time 50 years ago. How frantic everyone was about losing our only hope, and then realizing that he was not the answer. Some were very angry (Cameron) and others were just happy that there was another chance (Me).

I should have sent you. Tyrone lifted his head up, ears pricked.

What?

I should have sent you through the Soul to retrieve the boy. I just…I didn’t want to lose you. I was afraid. But you would have been better for the job. You would have been able to bring him back. What happened if he was the answer to the prophecy? I would have been the sole reason that we would remain here. It’s just because I care, because I need you, because I am not fully changed. I would have never been able to forgive-

Shhh. It’s okay. Don’t worry about what could have happened. It didn’t happen. That’s all that matters. A silent, salty tear ran down my cheek. Tyrone padded over to me. He set his furry chin in my lap. He licked my wound that I cut from earlier. I scratched his ears.

It’s okay. Don’t cry. He understood my pain that I lived with everyday. I put my face into crusty fur on the top of his head and cried. I cried so hard snot was covering my face. Tyrone is the only one to ever see me cry, to ever see me with my guard down. And he is the only thing I can love in this life.

He nuzzled deeper into my lap, whimpering softly, feeling my pain. I don’t think this girl is the prophecy. I believe there is no prophecy. There is no hope. We will always be trapped here.

Tyrone had to leave and go into the back with all the other hounds to make sure things were in order and that they had enough to feast on. I wiped my snot and tear covered face and decided I was going to go check up on the search crows. I walked, feet echoing on the damp marble floor.

I reached their section of the layer. I looked at them differently, wondering if they were getting weaker. Maybe they needed to be trained better. I always thought the search crows were ugly, weak, and dumb compared to the powerful, brutally aggressive hounds. Guess I was right. It must have been a stupid crow to get its self killed by a simple lost soul.

I stepped farther into the cave of voluminous crows. Many stood perched upon racks that hung from the cave ceiling. Some caught the water droplets cascading down from the cave ceiling in their light orange, pointy beaks. Others flew from wall to wall, and some feasted barbarously. They seemed fine to me. I show no affection towards them, or the hounds for that matter. Only Tyrone, it’s always only been him. He’s the only one who deserves it most of the time anyways.

A bird flew down toward me. I put out my arm so it could perch on it. He kept quickly snapping his head in every direction like a possessed soul. They always do this, must be a bird thing. He snapped his head so it was looking directly at me. I could see myself reflecting in its blood red eyes. I threw my arm up, signaling it to fly off. It did and joined the rest of the crows. I lost the bird quickly in the mists of all the similar crows. I will never know which crow that was. I can never tell them apart. I usually can tell apart most hounds though.

I left the cave.

I sat down on the marble floor, not sure what to do with myself.

I wanted to grab the rock and pierce my skin, but I know it’s pointless. Tyrone is right, I’m only fooling myself. I will never feel again.

And then, very suddenly, it hit me like a meteor plummeting down to earth at full force. I wanted to get up and leave and go to him. The pull was harsh, ripping my corrupted soul from my body. I clenched my fists trying to resist. My eyes watered. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly. I clenched my teeth together forcefully. I wanted to go to him so bad, I wanted to be with him so bad. I wanted his arms around mine, his body pressed into mine. I will do anything he asks me. I just want to serve him. I want him, but not in the normal way you would expect.
Its lust, not love.
Force, not want.
Pain, not ease.
Violence, not peace.
The pull almost hurt, almost. My muscles tensed. The urge, the beast, was taking over. I was losing control. He knows I am. He knows the longer I resist, the stronger the pull is. He knows I will come to him, because I have too, I have no choice. I am his forever. He can do whatever he wants to me, and I will do whatever he wants for him. When the action is happening I don’t care. I just want to please him. It’s like I’m in a trance. Then after, I hate him. I hate what he does. I hate everything about it. I wish to be rid of this beast, this monster, this binding. The disdain I feel towards the beast in me is immense.
Tyrone strides toward me. I can see by the prick of his ears and the widening of his red eyes, he knows what’s happening. He’s seen it too many times. There is nothing he can do but wait for my return and listen to me cry and scream over the resentment of what happened each particular time. He hates it, and I know he wishes to kill him and rip him to shreds. But he would never admit it.
He runs toward me, prodding his snout into my shoulder, trying to help, trying to make me not go. But he’s knows he can’t stop it. I scream. He whimpers. My insides burn with desire. I can’t keep fighting it. I have to go. I begin to sweat. Beads stream down my face. Tyrone looks down at the floor not wanting to watch me go. It pains him. He turns around and slowly drags himself to the back of the cave with the other hounds.
I will be here waiting for you when you return. Just like I always am.
I nod, fighting back tears. I know Tyrone will be here.
I put on my brave face feeling less pull and pain as I stand up, limbs shaking. The pain slowly subsides as I give in, but the desire just keeps growing. I smooth my hair and walk quickly out of the south layer and into the west layer where he awaits, along with my horrible fate that I want so badly, just as long as he’s there.
The beast now has full control as I shimmer into the west layer to see him standing tall, grinning with satisfaction. My horrible fate awaits me, as I walk in both willingly, yet unwillingly.

Chapter Eleven

Cameron

I sat on the purple reflecting marble floors against the cave walls of the west layer, feasting wildly. I was insanely hungry. I must have worked up a great appetite, greater than normal. I feasted and feasted, as I always do. The smell of charred flesh filled the room as I anticipated every bite with more and more desire. The more I ate, the more powerful I felt.
Power is everything.
I chewed the mouth-watering flesh, filled with so much satisfaction, as the left over blood ran down the sides of my mouth and I spit out the bones.
I ignored the constant biting pain that jabbed at every inch of my body. The feasting was definitely helping the pain go down, hopefully also making my wounds heal quickly. I can’t afford to sit around and wait for these lethal wounds to heal at an average mortal pace. I have things to do; affairs to attend to, now.
I reached down to grab some more, and realized I had finished all that was here. My rising desire for more flesh gnawed at. I still wasn’t fully satisfied. I yearned for some freshly burned flesh. Instead of going to another feasting room, I stood up, wiped the remnants of skin and blood off my face and shimmered my way to the entrance of the east layer.
I stood in front of the tall, black stone arch. All I could see was darkness inside the arch way. I go in here often, for I desire fresh meat quite often. Some would say that collecting flesh isn’t really entering the east layer. I barley have to step inside and turn into the small room on the right where all the newly burned souls lay. I don’t have to step an inch further, but sometimes I wish to see the newly changed Shadow Angels make their way through their transformation. Matured Shadow Angel’s are not permitted into the east layer where all the newly changed souls are tended too. Sometimes though, I can find a few brave Shadow Angels to accompany me into the layer to sneak and watch them. It’s not like any of the newbie’s will remember any of it anyways. We often take bets on who is going to accept the change and who is not. I rarely lose a bet. I always win, and if I don’t, the winner usually make and unfortunate encounter with the fire pit where they burn the rejects deep in the east layer. My bets don’t start at little. We bet things like our charges, knowing that if another angel changes your charge, you get a painful punishment from Vincent while the angel who changed your charge gets praised for keeping things at the pace they should be and picking up the slack.
We have not gone in recently because the tiny, yet feisty keeper of this layer, Charlotte, swore to report us to Vincent if we trespassed again.
Today I would not be the day I would be returning. I do not have time today. I needed to feast some more and gain some strength to help quickly heal my wounds from Vincent and gain epic strength to confront that demeaning Theo.
I looked closely at the headless, burned bodies. The heads are always left to burn completely to ashes, while the bodies are fished out once they are at a crisp, delectable state. At the top of the pile under a few bodies, was a very crispy, heavy set girl. The best kind, they have the most meat on them. I pushed and yanked bodies out of my way to reach the top to retrieve this body. The bodies just rolled down the mount of other bodies, getting tangled around each other.
I grabbed her limp, lifeless body and carried her out in my arms as if she were my wife and I was carrying her over the threshold. Her flesh looked so full and juicy. My mouth salivated. I was no chivalrous husband. I was a hungry monster ready to tear her apart. I threw her over my shoulder and shimmered back to the entrance of the west layer.
I walked down the candle lit hall to the room I was in prior. The flames of the flickering fire danced fiercely on the cave walls, sweeping back and forth, as if gusts of wind were sweeping in and out of the cave like the tide of the ocean. The cave was taken by a group of angels whom I do not associate with much. I turned around to enter another room when I ran straight into a tall man. My head slammed into his rock hard chest. I looked up, nostrils flared; ready to roar at the man. I quickly realized that that wouldn’t be a good idea.
It was Darius.
He stiffened and then grunted from deep within his throat. I didn’t like Darius, he reminded me of Theo in a way. But, that’s not why I don’t like him. I don’t like him because he has everything I have ever wanted. He’s an older Shadow Angel like me, he’s powerful like me, and he’s the most trusted Black Hand member. That should be me.
“Cameron.” He said solemnly.
“Darius,” I nodded. “What pleasure do I owe to be seeing you here in the west layer with all us average Shadow Angel’s? Surely you’d rather be up in the north layer with you prestigious little group,” I said with a smug tone. I still held the large girl over my shoulder, but of course, I was not weakened at all.
Darius tightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. He looked me up and down.
“Is the feasting helping with the pain?” I flinched, remembering the pain I have momentarily forgotten. But yes, the feasting was helping to minimize it.
“Somewhat.” I looked into his eyes. “You want to come help me tear apart this girl, don’t you? Rip apart her juicy flesh with your bare teeth. Eh?” A snake-like smile slithered on my face.
“No Cameron.” His face remained aloof, and full of apathy.
“What do you want then? Because if you have no purpose with me will you be on your way?” I moved in closer to him, starring him down.
“Cameron. I am just her to deliver your new charge since you changed your last charge two days ago. Just like I always do.” He still remained impassive.
“Oh. Right.” Darius usually doesn’t assign me my charges. One of the other men usually gives me the message. “Well. Who is my next lucky victim?” Darius pulled out his scroll from inside his robe.
“It looks like you have an elderly man from Alaska. He’s been on Netherworld for approximately three hours and nineteen minutes. He is age 76, and died in open heart surgery.” He closed the scroll. “You know the drill. You have four weeks and-”
“Yes. I know Darius. I have been a Shadow Angel for just as long as you.” He nodded.
“What is open heart surgery anyway? Do you know? I don’t even know how that is possible!” The things I hear about the rapidly evolving world never fail to amaze me. I was completely shocked when I heard about telegrams. Now there are these funny little devices that you carry with you in your pockets to contact people at any time. And there are no more wagons and horses. All mortals get places by flying plane things, and vehicles that run on gasoline!
Darius shrugged his shoulders and said,
“I don’t live in that place any more. It has nothing of interest to me.” With that said he shimmered out immediately, as if he couldn’t get away from me fast enough.

I just got another thing to add to my long list of things to do.

I glanced behind me into the cave to see all the other angels had left. Only one angel remained. Their hood was up, casting a dark shadow over their face. The person looked up at me. I could barely see a silhouette of long black eyelashes and bright, red, seductive lips. The person took their hood off and let it fall behind them onto their back.

Sapphire.

Her cheeks were covered in the scraps of flesh she just finished, but her lips still remained red and plump against her light chocolate skin. Her black eyes were round and big, as long, full eyelashes surrounded them. Her long black her lusciously cascaded down her back in large spiral curls. She was an exceptionally beautiful woman, but she is not one I talk to regularly. She has an opinion, she’s fierce, and she doesn’t let anyone walk over her. And I don’t quite like those things in women. I prefer the silent, doormats.

“Hello Cameron,” she said in a soothing tone. She eyed the girl still thrown over my shoulder. “You mind sharing that? I’m still feeling a little hungry, and I don’t think I can resist that delicious beauty.” I wasn’t really in the mood to be sharing. I got her, she is all mine to feast on. I need all of her. Sapphire wiped her mouth with the sleeve of her robe and looked up at me.

“I guess I could share an arm,” I growled under my breath. I threw the girl down hard on the floor. Sapphire smiled at the sight of the food. She grabbed the right arm and tore it off in one forceful pull. A tearing noise echoed off of the cave walls, as she immediately pressed her mouth in the skin and tore.

Watching her devour the flesh made me not able to wait one more second. I grabbed the other arm and ripped it off. I bite into it like a chicken leg. I bite and bite, not even taking breaths between or looking up.

I was quickly done with the arm. I threw the bones down. Sapphire was at the fire a few feet away. She was roasting the arm some more.

“I’m really picky when it comes to my flesh.” She rotated the arm. “I like it to be thoroughly cooked all the way to the bone; nice and crisp.” I nodded and grabbed a leg. Legs are a little trickier, but if you get the right angle, they come right off. I elevated it evenly off the ground and tore.

“Darius assign you a new charge?” Sapphire asked.

“Yes, some elderly man. Should be a piece of cake.” I sunk my teeth into the scrumptious leg. Sapphire laughed.

“My charges should be way too easy as well. Not even a challenge and I like a challenge every now and then.”

“Charges? You have more than one?” I asked, curiously. She nodded, coming back to sit next to me. She nibbled at the arm. The smile of satisfaction that covered her face meant that it was perfectly done.

“Darius told me that Vincent and all the other Black Hand members agreed that these two charges would most likely remain together, and would be so easy that two would be equivalent as one.” I cocked my head to the side with curiosity, taking a breather.

“Really? That’s interesting. I don’t think I have ever heard of a situation like this before. That’s saying something. I’m old.” She chuckled slightly. “Why are they supposedly such an easy target?”

“Its two young children. Brother and sister.”

The idea of maybe receiving the first ever Shadow Angel children is fascinating. We’ve had a fair share of lost souls whom were children over the years, but every child has rejected the change. They are just too weak. I told Sapphire to keep me updated on the situation. She agreed to.

After I finished consuming my flesh I paced the cave room, feeling powerful. The pain subsided for the most part, and now was the time to find Theo. First, I would look in the west layer to see if he is here. I doubt he is, though. He’s always as far away from us as possible. If he’s not here, I will roam around, following my intuition. Instinct is very strong and powerful when it comes to the tie of Shadow Angels. If I am still unable to locate the isolated fool, I don’t know what to try.

There is another option I could do, but I won’t. I would have to be beyond desperate to go to Dakota for help.

I walked through the halls, peering into each room. Theo was not in any of them, he rarely feeds in groups. So I only stopped to look more closely at the rooms with a single Shadow Angel. He still wasn’t in any rooms.

Each time I saw a feeding session going on, the undeniable desire to feast more grew. Once I had checked every room, I shimmered out of the west layer and to the above grounds. I stood tall and frustrated. The wind blew more strongly than normal. I run my round, deadly fingertips through my short, blood red hair. The pain was already beginning to return, and I hadn’t done what I needed to do to Theo. He and his brother are always meddling into places they don’t need to be. Always causing trouble. I thought Theo liked to stay out trouble, but it seems, Dakota is rubbing off on him.

The pain was jabbing at me, along with the frustration. I ripped at my hair. I needed to breathe, and be calm. Otherwise, it would be difficult to follow my instinct, and scope out some sort of scent left by Theo.

I breathed in and out, deeply. My head was still foggy, but as I calmed down, it seemed as if the clouds fogging up my head started to depart. I stood still. My instinct should be stronger than most, due to my feeding. I stood in the silence as I felt the power spark off my skin.

He was near water. I felt anger, and resentment. But it was not mine: his. I stood for a moment longer, and knew where to go. I shimmered away.

I instantly stood in front of a narrow blue river, bright as the pale blue sky I have not seen in over 200 years. The water flowed silently down the riverbed. The air felt thinner over here, wherever I was. It was dead silent, more silent then it normally is. The breeze what light. The place seemed out of place compared to the rest of Netherworld. The only part that made it not so stunning was the crisp yellow grass crunching beneath my bare feet, and the dead pine trees towering over me.

He was near. This place has Theo written all over it. This is his peaceful hide out. I shook my head at the foolish man. He thinks he can just hide forever, well, forever is a long time, especially for us. And forever is even longer when you have a guy like me to make it more miserable.

I walked along the riverbed, feeling as if it might lead me to something. And it something it did. About a mile down was a small shack. I couldn’t help but grin.

Gotcha.

I kicked down the door with my wounded leg. Theo was sitting on a small wooden stool, and when I busted in, he sprung up faster than a spring. His eyes narrowed, as he scratched his square jaw.

“How did you find me? What are you doing here?” He said in a distressed voice. I glanced around the shack. It was small room, but it was flooded with handmade papers and canvases; all covered with art work. Some were paintings of Netherworld, others were random colors thrown together. Somehow that kind of stuff is considered art. But the majority of the paintings and drawings were of a girl. A girl I have never seen in my life. She was nude in most, or half nude. She had fare skin with gleaming blonde hair the fell down to her waist. Her pointed chin and pink, delicate lips were placed perfectly under her small, button nose. Her green eyes were surrounded by gingerbread freckles.

She was beautiful.

When Theo saw me looking specifically at the girl, he ran at me with full force and pushed me out through the door. I flew and hit the dead grass. I laughed, and stood up, wiping the grass off my robe.

“What was that?” I said between my laughing. I wiped my eyes. “Are you-” I couldn’t stop myself from laughing. “That girl? You had a desire for a charge you once had?” I continued to laugh. “I know you couldn’t have loved her. Monsters, beasts, animals: You, don’t love. You can’t love. You wish you could love this girl, but you can’t. How tragic.” Theo shifted uncomfortably. He stared at the ground, clenching his fists. “So tell me Romeo: I certainly do not recognize her, which means she rejected the change. The change you had to perform. Tsk. Tsk. How that must of felt, to change this beautiful girl into a monster like you. But then again, she could never love a monster, but maybe two monsters can find a way together.” I laughed uncontrollably.

“You have it all wrong, Cameron,” he hissed. “Just drop it and go away.”

“Oh no. I merely came here to talk to you. Not fight, since you may tattle. Looks like I got more than I anticipated.” Theo grits his teeth.

“I didn’t tell.”

“Don’t you dare lie to my face you monstrous fool!” I yelled, all joking instantly coming to a screeching halt. “Obviously, I did not tell, and there was no one to have told. You are a fool! Look at how messed up you are. Now, we both have to heal, putting us behind on our duties. And I hear you aren’t doing so well on that part. But you couldn’t resist. You just had to see me in pain, no matter the cost to you. Maybe you are finally embracing what you truly are, but if it involves meddling in my business, we are going to have a big problem. Just like how I have a big problem with your arrogant, selfish brother. You are becoming him.”

“I am not! I will never be my brother!” He roared. “Take a step back here. We have a common enemy: Dakota. He told. He hit two birds with one stone. He got us both in trouble, maximizing his satisfaction. Are you too blind to see this!?”

“Don’t call me blind! You are the one who is blind! You are blind to what you really are. You hide out here, pretending you can love someone. You won’t accept what you are, what we are: a MONSTER.”

“I am so tired of all you telling me what I am!” Theo screeched.

“I am not here for an intervention on helping you accept who you are. You do that when you are ready. I am here to threaten you. If you ever stick your nose in my business or my affairs again I will come for you. I will come after you in the most horrific way I have ever come at anyone. This is not an empty threat. I am simply giving you one warning. Your lovely brother is well out of warnings, and has been for quite some decades, but you, you haven’t gotten in my way before. Whatever he is making you do, whatever plan he has up is sleeve, it better end right here, right now. And If I find out it hasn’t, you better find a better hiding place, because I will find you, and you will pay.”

“You don’t even know what you’re talking about, Cameron. Your empty threats do not scare me.” I walked closer to him until our chests were pressed against each other, and I could see my face in his glossy, black eyes.

“You will be. You are. I can see it in your eyes. I am ten times more powerful then you and you know it.” I continued to intently stare into his eyes. He turned away and backed up. I stood tall with victory. He was scared, I could feel it.

“I think it’s best if you leave now Cameron,” Theo said gravely. His face remained emotionless, just as Darius. They are much alike.
“Gladly. I’m hoping that we will not be meeting again anytime soon.” I raised an eyebrow. Theo stayed silent. “I’m taking that as a yes. Just remember: it will be the most horrific thing for you and-”

“Go. Away.” A paused silence. He finally looked at me again. “Now.” I nodded with a smug look on my face and shimmered out.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Jared

I sat on the steps of my front porch. I had wandered aimlessly for awhile trying to find someone, anyone, but there was no one to be found. I won’t give up though. The dead crow is proof that there is at least one other person here. I looked up at the sky with aggravation. I didn’t yearn for a drink here or a cigarette. The wanting addiction didn’t faze me anymore. I would often sit on these steps in the living world, taking long drags off a stoge. My house directly faced the busy New York street, and I would sit and watch. People walked down the sidewalk talking on phones, or waving their hands wildly trying to get the attention of taxis. Traffic was always a stop and go process. People always want to come to New York, but it’s really not all what it’s copped out to be. Maybe that’s because I don’t live in the best part of it. It’s dirty and loud. Trash swarms the gum covered sidewalks, and the air is thick with smog that clouds my eyesight. Here, in the afterlife, this New York is surprisingly peaceful and clean.

At night though, New York is stunning. The neon lights make it lively. The night air seems clear. Kipp and I loved to take walks at night. It gave us both an excuse to get out of our hell houses and be together. We did various things: go out to eat, relax at a park, see the lights during the Christmas season, go bowling, or sometimes just walk and talk. When one of our houses was empty, we did spend time together inside, just lying around. I would sometimes just listen to music while she would lay on my lap reading or painting. We didn’t always have to be doing something together; it was just the fact that we were together, in each other’s presence. That’s love. We were best friends; it wasn’t about sex and touching. It was just about being together and playing around. We had real love; I would do anything for her, and try to protect her from the demons of life. But I blew it, I failed her. Instead of dwelling over the sad parts, I tried to remember us happy.

“It’s not burnt, and I think it looks pretty good,” I said proudly. I set down the plate of barbeque chicken and mashed potatoes with a bottle of champagne. She looked up and set down her book. She was slouching in the chair, her feet pushed into the cushion with her knees pressed against the table. She put her legs down and sat up. She smelled the aroma of the chicken.

“Wow. This looks great Jared. I’m proud of you. This is a set up from failing at macaroni and cheese.” She snickered. I playfully shoved her. I had once made macaroni and cheese, but it wasn’t very good. I had mixed the cheese packet, milk, and butter without draining the water.
“I’ve come a long way. Don’t make fun.” I sat down. She chuckled again shaking her head. The chair was nice and soft. We were at my house in my cozy little kitchen. My dad was “out with friends”. We sat at the round, white kitchen table. The walls were a nice, bright sunflower yellow. The counters surrounded the walls, and they stopped when it got to the fridge, stove, and back door that led out to the backyard and flower garden I let Kipp plant. Her apartment doesn’t have a backyard and she loves to garden. For her sixteenth birthday I surprised her with the fertilized garden bed and all her favorite type of flower seeds.
It was early summer, and all the flowers had flourished into colorful peddles. I always looked out the back door window to look at the flowers when I missed her. The one window in the kitchen was open and I could hear the faint buzzing of the bees as twilight approached. The sun was setting, painting the sky in a strip of beautiful peach color that surrounded the green hilltops in the distance.
At this moment I felt okay. Everything vanished when I looked into her sparkling eyes. I stared at her beautiful complexion, her black hair tied into a messy bun, and her small fragile hand that laid on mine. Her hands were always clammy and cold. She didn’t like to hold hands much because of this insecurity, but I didn’t mind. She was wearing old jeans, even though it was pretty hot outside; she hates wearing shorts. She also had on flip-flops, and a plain t-shirt with baggy sleeves that came down to her elbows.
“What are you staring at?” She asked taking a bite into her mashed potatoes.
“Nothing,” I said quietly with a small smile. “I’m just happy to be here with you.” I took a large bite into my chicken leg. She rolled her eyes like she always does when I make a sappy comment, but I know she’s grinning widely on the inside, she just won’t admit it. “What book are you reading?” She took a sip from her glass of champagne.
“Scarlet Letter. It’s a book for Mrs. Mitchell’s class. It’s not so bad.”
“You think every book is great.” I said, still not able to understand what fascinated her so much about reading.
“Hey! There was that one book. With the vampire lovers. Can’t stand it.”
“Right”, I said recalling the memory of her reading the series. I heard a noise, and snapped my head quickly to the garage. “Did you hear that?” I asked abruptly. She shook her head. Then I heard the car door slam. “It’s my dad! He’s home!”
“So?” She said. My dad was relatively nice to Kipp, but she hasn’t seen him when he’s back from a drug deal all drugged up, and I don’t plan on her seeing him like that ever.
“We need to get out of here.” She could hear the alarm in my voice and trusted me. She grabbed her plate and tossed it in the trash, and ran out as I urged her to move faster. We made it out the back door just in time. We walked out to the busy New York street and strolled around.
“Why did we have to leave so quickly?” She asked, breaking the piercing silence. I took a deep breath.
“I’m pretty sure he was out on a drug deal. I just didn’t want you to be around that,” I said in a hushed tone. She grabbed my elbow and stopped walking.
“Jared. I live with an alcoholic and abuser. I’m used to seeing horrible images.” She said it very casual, but her eyes screamed with pain. I squeezed her hand in thanks. She always understood me.
The thought of the alcoholic in her home bothered me but not as much as her abusive brother. The thought of anyone touching her and hurting her made me so furious and so enraged that it was uncontainable. I always feel like a volcano, slowly boiling over, but when things like her brother and my dad come into my life, I explode, spewing parts of me everywhere. She would always try to hide the bruises from me, but I do occasionally see some, and it makes me even more fumed. The worst part is that I can’t do anything. Going to him would make him madder and he could hurt her more. Then again, by not saying anything, he still hurts her. It’s a lose-lose deal. I just can’t wait until we are eighteen, and I can take her away from this.
We made our way to ice cream cart. I bought us ice cream on waffle cones. We both got strawberry. We sat on a wall that looked toward the street; it was one part on New York where tall buildings didn’t block the view. The night sky was smothered in a dark indigo as the few visible stars twinkled a bright gold. The New York lights illuminated the streets with vivacious color. There was a light summer breeze that blew a few pieces of stray hairs in front of Kipp’s face. She licked her ice cream, just staring at the clear night sky.
I always wondered what goes through her artistic mind. She can just sit and stare for hours, tuning out the world. I put my arm around her, using my other free hand to hold the ice cream and lick the few streams of pink icing fall down my cone. She squeezed my thigh to let me now she knew I was here, but that she just wanted to be here in silence. I was okay with that. Suddenly, she asked me,
“Why do you get up in the morning? And don’t say me. What makes you want to continue living?” She didn’t turn to look at me; she just focused her eyes on the distant sky. I wasn’t really shocked by this question, it goes through everyone’s mind, maybe hers more than others, but it did worry me.
“Well, Kipp. I am being completely honest. It is you. I hate my dad the majority of the time. My mom died when I was ten. The few friends I have aren’t really anyone I can count on. But, I can always count on you. Oh, and Rufus. I have to get up in the morning to feed him.” I got a small smile to sneak out of her and form on her face. “What about you?” She took a deep breath.
“Well,” she began, “you as well. I don’t hate my dad, I feel sorry for him, but he doesn’t love me. I hate my brother. I hate my mom. I don’t have any friends either. I really, truly, can only count on you.” She gave a weak smile. “I know. This is so sappy and cliché, and I always make fun of these kinds of people in movies and books, but it’s the truth. I really struggle to find why to get up every day, but then I remember you, and I tell myself to be strong, for you. Without you, well, Jared, I would probably give up on living.”
It suddenly seemed to get really quiet. The street was incredulously empty. Kipp looked at me, a small tear sliding down her cheek. I wiped it away and grabbed her cheek. I didn’t know what to say. I gazed into her sad eyes and I went in for a kiss. At first my lips softly brushed hers as my hand cupped her cheek. Then the kiss was a harder. Her hands wrapped around my neck. I pressed into her more, pulling her hips closer to me. She kissed me forcefully, our noses hitting lightly as our heads moved. I pulled away, out of breath.
“I’m not going anywhere Kipp. Even if I do, don’t give up on living. You have so much promise. Life won’t always be like this.” I had both my hands on her cheeks, really trying to get through to her. She nodded.
“I love you,” she whispered.
“As do I sweetie. You know that.” She nodded again. I really do love her, so much. “I should get you home. It’s getting late.” She nodded in agreement.
She was quiet the whole way home. I hoped she would be okay. I knew she was thinking too much about things she should try not to think about so much. But it’s hard to not think about things that affect your life so much and cause you so much pain. I would call her a little after I dropped her off to make sure she was holding up okay.
We reached the door to her apartment building. I knew she would take the stairs up; she hates small, enclosed spaces, so she refuses to ride the elevator. I kissed her lightly on the lips, then on the forehead.
“Goodnight baby,” she said.
“Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite, or I will come and beat them up with a shoe,” I whispered into her ear.
“You’re scared of bug’s hun.”
“Shush. Just let me feel like a bad ass boyfriend.” She smiled. I squeezed her hand and turned away. I walked home, avoiding any dark alleyways or creepy guys who could probably beat me and my scrawny body up in seconds. I kept my hands in the pockets of my jean shorts, and quietly whistled to myself.
When I got home my dad was sitting on the couch watching the game. His feet were propped up on the wooden coffee table. He had on a white baggy t-shirt, covered in grease stains, and baggy old jeans. His long raggedy brown hair hung over his face and down the back of his neck. Stubble scratched his unshaved cheeks. His eyes were blood shot and his pupils were dilated.
“Hey dad,” I said dismissively.
“You out with Kipp?”
“Who else?”
“Why did you rush out when you heard me coming in?” He asked harshly. My heart stopped. Shit.
“Uh, she wasn’t here. We were out eating ice cream.” He laughed hoarsely.
“You’re lying straight to my face boy. I don’t tolerate lying.” I raised an eyebrow. He stood up, and wobbly walked to the kitchen. “I suppose you all of sudden got the urge to read the Scarlet Letter with your free time.” Shit, again. My heart thudded against my chest.
“It’s for school,” I said quickly.
“Even if that were true, you wouldn’t pick up a book for school. You rarely ever do your school work.” I shifted uncomfortably. He steered in closer to me. The room was dim; the only light was coming from the lamp in the living room.
“I don’t know what you have going on here boy, but lying to me isn’t okay.” His hot, stench breath swarmed my face like poison as he breathed out. The tip of his nose skimmed mine. “Go to your room before I beat the truth into you.” I quickly turned away and stomped down the hall to my room. He always threatens to beat me, but never does unless I throw a punch first.
I collapsed my body into my bed, covered in my basic red comforter. My walls were a plain white. A desk sat in the corner of my room, right next to the tan dresser. I wanted to rip at my hair, but it wasn’t long enough. I was so worried about Kipp, and my dad just steamed me. I felt a wave of sadness, worry, and anger wash over me. I wanted it go away, and I knew how to do it. I’ve been trying to stay away from this stuff. Kipp doesn’t know that I’ve been turning to it more and more often these days. I wouldn’t want her to carry another burden.
The thought kept creeping its way back into my mind. I grabbed a quick cigarette to calm myself down, and clear my head. I opened my small window above my bed and stuck my head out. I sparked my lighter, light filling my dark room. I lit the end of my cigarette as I took a drag. The end of it was a small, orange light in the dark night, making it seem like there was only the carroty light floating, too dark to see the cigarette. I smoked it quickly, making myself dizzy. Still not fulfilled, I gave in, because I’m weak. I grabbed the vodka bottle from inside my closet and buried my sorrows in the bitter taste of alcohol.

So much for happy memories. Somehow, they always end up with a depressing ending. I took a deep breath through my nose, and then let it out. I stood up and continued my endeavor to find another person here. I stayed away from the park, not wanting to be anywhere near the frightening dead crow.
“If you move boy, this will be much more painful than it’s intended to be.” I whirl around quickly to see the man, the man who is always after me. His deep, black buzzed hair, black, cruel eyes, and arched eyebrows intimidate me. Along with all the creepy powers he has, can’t forget those deadly things. “If you cooperate, this can go by quickly.” He was harsh in a way he normally doesn’t speak.
Maybe I should just let him have me and do whatever it is he wants to do with me. I’m tired of running, this is a hopeless place. I’m not sure what he can do to me given the fact that I am dead. But I will take what I can. Anything is better than this constant running, fighting, and the all consuming vortex of fear and sadness.
“What do you want with me?” I asked in a whimpered tone, not sounding brave at all. He stared blankly at me. The only thing I didn’t want to feel, was the pain that I had begun to feel the last time he had me, but was interrupted by the sonic boom. It was painful, and it grew with every second. I thought of transporting away like a sissy, I wanted to be out of here. I have a low tolerance for pain.
It’s like he read my mind and before I could even make my decision, a dark green thorn vine shot out of his palm. It grasped my ankle tightly, thorns penetrating my skin. He pulled his hand towards him, dragging me on the hard cement. I tried to grasp the vine and tear it from my ankle, but the thorns pierced my skin as I tried to unlock its tight grasp. Black gunk oozed from the thorns as they tried to make their way into my open wounds. A few drops drooped their way in, and it stung. I cringed and bit the inside of my cheek.

Theo stopped pulling when I was about three feet from him. I stood up, ignoring the biting pain in my ankle and hands.

“Do you know how much trouble you’ve caused me? With Vincent, Cameron, and Dakota?” The names were unfamiliar to me, they meant nothing to me. “And look at you! You are an easy prey, an easy target. You are nothing but a scared little boy unable to fight your own battles. You are stupid and worthless. I just can’t wait to be rid of you.” The man sounded so evil. His words did hurt. They stung like rubbing alcohol on an open wound. I believed everything he said.

In the midst of my deep thoughts, the man then started throwing fire balls out of his hand like a mad man. He threw them continuously, not even looking up to see if they hit me. I dodged to the right, then to the left. I still barley could move. My leg was trapped in the thorn vine, with no slack to shift. The balls of flaming blazes flew faster. Before I knew it, I was hit. My right sleeve caught fire and burned my skin.

“Oh shit! You bastard!” I fell to my knees and rolled around trying to stop the flames from devouring my skin. As I rolled and barley put the flame out, another ball hit my left hip. I clutched my side, pressing down trying to stop the flames. I cried out in agony. I rolled more. The fire balls still flew, and my rolling was helping me dodge them.

“Look what you’ve made me do!? I shouldn’t even want to hurt you; I should just want to change you!” Change me? Into what? I wanted to ask, but the edging pain overwhelming and eating up my body prevented me from speaking.

He started throwing more fire balls at me. The third one, luckily, hit the vine, burning it right off my ankle. I transported out so quickly my head spun. I landed at my house, not far from where I was, but it was the quickest place I could think of. I went inside the house, slammed the door, and locked it knowing a lock would not hold back an evil demon. I was breathing so rapidly I thought it would never slow. My heart pounded, and my stomach clenched tight into a tiny ping pong ball. My hand shook speedily. I sat down, setting my hands on my thighs trying to calm them. My breath shook as I tried to breathe in and out slowly.

I grabbed my head, squeezing tightly. I looked down at my shaking hands to see them covered in blood and sweat. I was drenched in sweat.

I grabbed the rest of the ripped thorn vine around my ankle, and tore it off. I rolled up my pant leg to see the damage. There were many short slits where the thorns tore through. Red blood still slowly seeped out. The edges of the cuts were smeared with black thorn juice, or something.

I don’t quite understand why I feel physical pain when that guy touches me, but that’s the only time I feel anything. It lingers, and bides its way in. I don’t understand anything. I don’t understand who he is, or how many of his kind there are. I don’t understand what he wants with me. He wants to change me apparently. But into what? I don’t understand my power. I don’t understand why I am here. I don’t understand why I can’t find anyone else here. Is it just me against a giant race of evil, black-eyed monsters?

If there is another good person, not evil, in this place, I need to find them now. I’m not going to make it much longer.

on Apr. 22 2012 at 1:37 am
AddieLongo BRONZE, Highland, California

"Kill or Be Killed."
"The only to fear, is fear itself".

Thank you! Sorry for such a late reply. I have not been on latley. I will check it out :)

on Feb. 14 2012 at 5:27 am
ILoveWritingAlot BRONZE, E, Other

Every end is a new beginning;
What a caterpillar calls an end the rest of the world calls a butterfly;
There never was a good war, or a bad peace.;
“People will believe anything if you whisper it.”
“Where words fail, Music speaks”

hie! really nice story and intresting it really atrracts attention...I'd be glad if you'd read my book too!

AddieLongo BRONZE, Highland, California

"Kill or Be Killed."
"The only to fear, is fear itself".

Hahaha. Thank you! I will keep posting :))

BluBirdWriter13, Nowhere, Kentucky
is dakota in love with jane?!?!? wait dont tell me i wanna finish reading it's that good lol

AddieLongo BRONZE, Highland, California

"Kill or Be Killed."
"The only to fear, is fear itself".

Thank You! :)

Awesome! hope you finish it! really intriguing, and nicely written. :)