Unexpected | Teen Ink

Unexpected

By Tyra96 BRONZE, austin, Texas
Tyra96 BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Section 1:

“Hurry up Amaryllis.”

“I’m coming wait mom, I just need to get this stuff in.”
Amaryllis rush’s to get her luggage packed into one bag, the clothes stacked unevenly. Just thrown like her life, all out of place and disarranged.

“We don’t have much time, so hurry up.”
She closed the door to the taxi, while Amaryllis wheeled her three-foot candy striped bag down the staircase to the uneven porch. She stood there for a moment staring at her house and what it used to be. Whole-some, and welcoming. The taxi driver laid on his horn out of frustration and annoyance, as well as her mom tapping her foot loudly on the carpeted mat waiting on her stubborn child. Amaryllis turned her head slowly with a ruby red glare out of the corner of her eye. Flames of radiant reds and oranges licked the human flesh, trapping them into a small-condoned space.

“Mom, mom, nooooo mom noooo oh my gosh somebody please help. Help Me please somebody please help me.”
No reason, no purpose it just happens, when ever where ever and however. Tears fall like bullets against her tan amber skin making her face cold with the wind.

Her blank gaze stares at nothing but what lies in her head and whispers threw her ears.

“Amaryllis close your mouth and chew your food… And who are you staring at, it’s rude to stare.”
“It’s also rude to interrupt the human thought process mom did you ever think of that.”
It is a good thing she doesn’t say or mention anything that comes of her head, other wise she would be gone just as the dog went missing last night. Who knows what ever happened to him, she bets it was the creepy neighbors next door who took him or maybe the mail carrier who always delivers his mail on Sundays, even though we all know they don’t work that day. It will always be a mystery to her. The queen interrupts again.

“Amaryllis eat your eggs come on do I really have to treat you like a kid now come on.”

“Yes your Hines”
She roles her eyes with disbelief and gets up to pay the bill at the counter.

“Finish your food we have to get home so you can finish your homework from last night.”

“I already did.”

“When? I was checking it last night when you went to bed”

“I did it this morning.”

“We’ll see about that.”
Amaryllis twirls her eggs in a circle not planning to eat them.

“So does that mean I can go over Taylor’s house?”

“What? Who’s Taylor, are you talking about the tall guy who’s on the football team with blonde hair and those …”

“Yea the hazel brownish looking eyes, yes that’s who I’m talking about. So is that a yes?”
Amaryllis gets excited her eyes wide open trying to read her mom’s lips.

“Uh no.”
She gets up from the booth grabbing her bag, Amaryllis follows.

“Wait no, why?”

“What are you going to do anyway? In the back I didn’t forget.”
Amaryllis shuts the car door moving to the back of the car. Her mom has a fob of kids under 18 sitting in the passenger’s seat.

“Were just going to hang out and do what teens do?”
She looks in the mirror looking at Amaryllis arching her eyebrow.

“Doing what “Teens” do often get people in trouble Amaryllis? Like that pregnant girl at your school what do you think her excuse was to get out of the house?”

“Lalala… Whatever mom and that’s beside the point, plus Taylor’s not like that.”

“So you’re telling me he’s gay!’

“Nooo mom he’s not gay. I meant to say were friends he’s defiantly not gay.”
They pull out of the parking lot driving along the new paved roads.

“So tell me again why is he inviting you to his house?”

“Because we’ve been hanging out for a while and he’s like you should come over some time and so…”

“Wait say that again?”

“Say what again?”

“You said that ya’ll have been hanging out. Where have you two been hanging out?”

“Well we hang out at school and other places. I’ve known him since freshman year.”
She tries to slip out of it but making it so easy for her mom to hear her last words.

“Other places?”

“Well when you dropped me off at the mall with Suzan he was there so we hung out and sometimes after practice we talk.”
Her mom takes a very long breath in and taps her fingers on the steering wheel hard. Amaryllis knows she’s irritated.

“So when was all this truth going to come out, a month after we would find out your pregnant.”

“Mom I can’t believe you would say that and no that wasn’t my plan.”

“Amaryllis why, just tell me why? You know how I feel about you and boys and that’s why…”

“That’s why what? That’s why you keep me home schooled for half of my life so that I would be locked from the world and have no say in any of it, is that why mom uh tell me.”
She gets out of the car slamming the door and running into the front door of there house. Her tears ran like raindrops on her face. She locked the door to her room blocking it with her heavy chest from the end of her bed that held all her childish things.

“Amaryllis open up please I’m sorry. Look, I know how much that boy means to you but I don’t think you’re ready to hang out with guys yet. There are more important things like an education. ”
She tries pushing at the door once more. And it gave. She walked in around the pile of junk thrown at the door.

“Amaryllis, Amaryllis look I apologized so come out.”
Her window was cracked open, there’s only one place she would be.

I packed light I was just planning to stay until Tuesday then go back home.
She knocked on the nicely painted blue paint on there front door.

“Hey Amaryllis you here for Taylor? He’s in the back.
Amaryllis walks around the house jumping over the wired fence. Taylor plays catch by him self imaging the crowd before him.

“Just in time aren’t you.”

“Yea I guess.”

“I thought your mom wouldn’t let you come.”

“She didn’t.”
She sets her bag down near the lawn chair.

“What’s the bag for you plan on doing homework or something?”
She blushes a little.

“No just running away for a while, do you mind if I stay here till Tuesday?”

“No you just have to stay in Elizabeth’s room or in the den.”

“I’ll take the den.”

“So what should we do now, my dad just got the pool cleaned yesterday we could swim. Did you bring your stuff?”

“Yes I have it under my clothes.”

“Well then into the pool you go.”
Amaryllis slips off her shorts and her over sized t-shirt so that her mom wouldn’t notice her florescent bathing suit. Some how she had always had the plan to make it over his house some way.

“I haven’t swum in a while so you might have to teac…”
Taylor pushes her into the pool not letting her finish her sentence.

“Whoa oh my god didn’t I just say I haven’t swam in a while.”

“I don’t remember that being said.”
Amaryllis shoves him and walks out the pool shaking the water out of her hair.

“Jerk.”

“What all I did was push you in.”
She takes something out of her bag and hides it behind her back.

“What’s that you’re trying to hide?”
Amaryllis pulls out her water gun shooting it into his face.

“Hey that’s not fair you can’t take someone unarmed.”
Taylor splashes the water to her feet.

“If you promise to stop pushing me into the pool I’ll get back in but only if you promise.”

I throw the gun on the pavement around the pool and slowly walk to the edge were my feet and the water meets.

“Jump in I promise I’ll catch you.”
She turns around letting her arms fly out while she falls into the pool.
His arms are held out to catch me; he moves backward meeting were my body leaves a shadow in the water. His hands they are let out miss the weight of my body and I sink to the bottom my hair suffocating from breathing. The air bubbles from my mouth die out. He reaches for my hand reeling me back up to surface but it’s too late. The theory is over, time for someone else to have the job. How will he explain it to her mother?

“Amaryllis breath come on, breath.”
His lips touch my pale blue lips trying to bring me back to what I’ve always been natural at what someone greater has given me.

“Amaryllis please don’t do this, not now Amaryllis please.”
Another pump to her lungs but she’s gone it’s no use; she’s gone.

“Any time now Amaryllis the waters getting warm now.”

“Oh sorry I just had one of those moments you know.”

“No I don’t know what do you mean moments? Like a deja vu or something?”
She nods her head lying to his face.

“Yeah something like that.”

“Well aren’t you going to get into the pool now?”
She sits at the edge and slides into the pool; the water stiffens her warm body.

“So do you want to learn how to swim or what?”
She smiles at him moving closer for instructions.

“Just relax your body and put your arms and feet out. Just relax I won’t let you go.” It seems hard for her to believe after what was just pictured in her head, but she obeys anyway. He holds on her narrow waist moving her along the pool.

“Now move your arms like your paddling.”
She motions her arms with an up and down motion splashing water into the air.

“No not like that here let me show you like this you have to touch the water softly.”
He holds on to her hands showing her the right motions.

“Okay good now start to kick your legs but don’t kick them all the way out of the water just barley coming to the surface.”
Taylor let her go releasing her to swim on her own.

“Oh my god I’m doing it, I’m swimming on my own thank you so much Taylor.”
She swims to him with joy smiling.

“I owe you a big one don’t I?”
He smiles.

- 2 -

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright in here by your self at night?”

“Yes I’m a big girl now I can sleep on my own.”
She laughs.
Taylor’s mom comes down the steps her hand on her hip.

“Alright ya’ll its bed time now. Taylor get in you bed.”
Taylor waves to Amaryllis and she watches him walk up the steps past his mother and she stops him to kiss his forehead.

“You wake me up if you need anything Amaryllis I’m a light sleeper and are you sure you’re not cold down here?”
She nods her head.

“Well if that’s all good night sweetie I’ll see you in the morning.”
She blows a kiss in Amaryllis direction then walking back up the stairs.
Amaryllis rests her head moves around to find a comfortable spot on the couch bed and dozes off to sleep.

I lay in bed, eyes shut so solemn and soft. He watches my chest as it rises and falls with every move and twitch, that moves me. My limp body is lifted into his muscular arms, bringing me close to his body. Taylor carries me out through the arched window out to the fragranced air of rain. Taylor walked me down the black paved road up to the mountaintops. His heartbeat was heavy and hard as he climbed up the ridged mountain up into the moon light, not letting me go. My eyelids perched open, my body awakening.

“Taylor?”
His blue eye’s looking down at me not saying anything. He came to a stop looking at me dearly, his eyes watering.

“Taylor why are we here... what’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry Amaryllis.”

“Sorry, sorry for what?”

“I just want you to be safe and the only way for you to be safe is if I let you go.”

“Let me go… what are you talking about Taylor I’m safe just were I am.”

“I love you Amaryllis.”
He moved closer to the edge holding me over.

“Wait, wait Taylor just stop you’re not in your right mind, let me down.”

“Amaryllis just do it for me, just do it for me.”
He kisses her forehead touching her eyes and kissing them.

“I love you.”
He lets his arms free of the uneasy burden letting her go into the rocky cannon.

Amaryllis opens her eyes popping up out of bed, noticing the tears that have formed in her eyes. She was amazed that in that one little moment an image, a thought could tell so much about her life. In ways, she couldn’t even voice opinions about or seem to know about, it could appear in her brain like a clear image. She began to think now that those weren’t dreams or fortune but they were invasions of her brain trying to bring a message to her that she had yet to find out. She envied to find the message.

“Ama you alright?”
Taylor walked down the stairs softly trying not to make much noise on the wooden steps.

“Uh yeah I’m alright… I just had a night mare or something.”
She wipes her eyes but then plays it off by laughing.

“Are you sure… you look like you’ve been crying or something you sure?”

“It’s just been a rough day that’s all but I’m fine now.”
Taylor sits down on the bed.

“Yeah sorry about that, I don’t know how you feel but I bet a hug would help.”
He leans into her wrapping his arms around her waist. More tears run down her face.

“It’s alright you can cry I’m not going to tell my friends at school or anything.”
She pulls him in tighter, griping on to him as he gripped on to her not letting her go until the time ways right. She let go wiping away her last tears.

“I never imagined a tall muscular football player being soft and warm hearted as you or even acknowledging that I’m a human being on this earth too. Your just so different and not what I imagined you to be at all especially a guy in high school. I’m mean really how far from cliché can we get, you’re just a one in a life time guy I guess.”

“Wow that was a very interesting way of explaining me I’ve never heard that combination of words before. I would say the same for you too, you’re not a friend that I would particularly hang with but I think I chose well. But hey don’t get me wrong I think you’re pretty cool you’re self.”
She smiled and looked down at her fumbling hands.

“Well I guess I should be getting back to bed now and hope you have a better sleep, if that even makes sense. Well anyway see you in the morning.”
He starts to walk up the steps.

“Hey Taylor?”

“Uh yeah.”

“Don’t you think it’s weird to have a girl has your friend.”

“Best friend you mean, and no it’s only weird if you make it that way. Just be your self.”
He continues up the steps and shutting the door behind him walking out. She lays her head back down falling back into a peaceful sleep, unlike before.

“Wake up Ama its eight, get up.”
She tossed over in her bed, covering her cold body back with the blanket.

“I’m up just wait a minute.”
Taylor sits at the head of the bed looking at her sleep.

“You know it’s really uncomfortable for you to stare at me while I sleep.”
He turns the other way scratching his head not noticing how long he sat there staring at her.

“I’ll be in my room if you need me and the bathroom is upstairs to the left.”

“I didn’t say you had to go I just thought it was weird that your staring at me while I sleep that’s all. Sorry I’m not much of a morning person Taylor.”

“It’s fine but mom doesn’t trust me down here for very long so I better get up stairs now.”
She shrugs and watches him go back up stairs. She follows behind him five minutes later to go to the bathroom and change. Amaryllis’s hair is wild with rage and her eyes red from the chlorine water yesterday. She washed her face with a fresh washcloth cleansing my pours. A knock at the door.

“I got to go to the bathroom can you hurry.”
Elizabeth panted at the door knocking with her small fists. Elizabeth was six now she had small brown freckles on her face with light brown curly hair, they would tease her about being an orphan from the same orphanage as Annie but she got older and much smarter to figure it out on her own; but she looked nothing like the rest of her family.

“Please hurry I really got to go.”
Amaryllis opened the door to see a small six-year old doing a potty dance at the door then running around her peeing in the bathroom. She walks out, wondering down the hall.

“Sorry about that.”
Taylor pops out his room standing in between his doorway, he opens it up more.

“You can come in here and wait if you want; it always takes her a while in there.”
She hesitates from leaning on the wall then walk into his undiscovered room. The walls are white with a navy blue strip painted on every corner and edge of the room. His desk is neat and in place in the corner of the room. His bed is in center of his room where the sun is shining from the opposite side of the wall to wake him up each morning. She observes and walks in slowly.

“Here you can sit.”
He pats on the bed for her to sit. She walks to it and sits lightly not to make a crinkle or smudge on the nicely placed comforter.

“Your room is very neat.”

“Yeah I know I don’t spend much time in it during the school year because of practices and my mom makes it a chore that it stays clean.”
She looks down at her toes and how badly groomed they are, her veins pop out peeking like old woman feet.

“I think Beth is out now.”

“Are you kicking me out of your room now or what? I’m just kidding Taylor I’ll meet you down stairs to get breakfast.”
She walks out his door into the bathroom where Elizabeth has left the toilet UN-flushed and the toilet paper unrolled.

- 3 -

“You keep me waiting long enough; I have already finished my bowl of cereal now.”
Amaryllis walks down the stairs slowly looking around the corner looking for sight of anybody else.

“My mom and dad have already left for work and my sister went to the mall with my aunt. So we have the house alone… you know to watch over and every thing.”

“Oh… okay so what can I eat I’m starving.”
He smiles looking at her then getting up from his seat walking to the pantry door.

“We have fruit loops, honey clusters and frosted flakes, you choose what you want.”

“All of them.”
Taylor looks at her surprised and shocked that this 100pound 5ft 3 inches, Girl would want this much to eat.

“Are you serious you want all of them?”
She shook her head. He took all the boxes out putting them on the counter then reaching up in the cabinet to get a bowl. Amaryllis poured all the cereal in one by one until it reached the rim of the bowl.

“Milk please.”
Taylor hands her the milk still looking at her with disbelief and shock.
She pours the milk in then sitting at the table sticking her spoon into the mountain of food placed in front of her.

“I still can’t believe you’re going to really eat this.”
He sits down at the table with her. She sticks a pile of cereal into her mouth chomping down spoon full after another as if she has a bottomless appetite. Taylor just stares in owe.

“Want some?”
She pushes her bowl over to him; he rejects and pushes it back to her.

“No I’m fine I had my breakfast today.”

“Oh I thought because you were drooling on your shirt you might want some.”
He looks down at his shirt smoothing over it.

“I did not drool.”
Amaryllis flicks his forehead.

“Ha ha made you look.”
She plays a childish and foolish prank on him that still seems funny to her amusement.

“Very funny Amaryllis the last time I did one of those jokes I ended up stuck in the locker by some dudes two sizes bigger.”
Amaryllis leans forward laughing out loud spitting out all her food in front of her to Taylor. She counties laughing uncontrollably.

“Oh my god Taylor I’m so sorry…you know what you wait here I’ll go get something for that.”
She runs down the hall to the bathroom rolling out half of the toilet paper. And she comes back to see him still in the same spot she left him.

“Gosh I’m so sorry Taylor I get amused very easily.”
She wipes off his face dripping with milk and soggy cereal.

“I guess this is one thing I can check off of my bucket list that I haven’t done.”
Amaryllis looks out of the corner of her eye looking up at him for a second.

“What having someone spit milk and cereal in your face?”

“No, making someone laugh about a corny joke that I said.”
She smiles and goes back to scrubbing chunks of food off his shirt.

“Why won’t you just take off your shirt because I can’t clean the milk out of this your just going to have to wash it.”

“Oh… okay”
He takes off his shirt handing it to Amaryllis; she avoids looking up at his muscular football built shape.

“So where is the washing machine?”

“Here I’ll get it there’s no use to wash one shirt now I’ll just get a new shirt.”
They go up stairs and Amaryllis waits outside his door while changes to a new shirt.

“You can come in now.”

“Oh sorry just wanted to leave every rule UN broken, your parents are very generous for letting me stay here.”

“Its no biggy at all they know were just friends and they like you and trust me your one of the few that they actually like.”
She sits on the end of his bed near the window.

“Really I thought your parents would be free with letting you pick what ever friends you wanted?”

“It’s not like they force me to be friends with anyone they just want me to have the best influences around me so I make healthy decisions in life.”

“Sounds like you’ve had the peep talk more than once. My mom talks all the time but it’s always what I can’t do or what she thinks is best for me. But I’m tired of her making my life hers when it’s really mine. Some times I think of what life would be like if she let me do what ever I wanted. I think I’d be better off with out her.”

My eyes sag and drop down to the tops of my feet, like 100-pound weights. The heat in this room is over powering and blazing and it suffocates the air I struggle to breathe in. I stand and walk in the never-ending grounds piled with dead rats and insects. My feet slide against the oven floor and I get closer to the end of the room where I hope to find a water fountain of gold spraying out ice-cold water. But Instead, I find a wilted body in the corner of bones and what’s left of clothing. I move closer to the non-existing pile of bones. The only thing left of it is a small silver bracelet on its wrist… belonging to my mother. Depending on how long we had been there, I might be next in the corner wilted and shriveled. I look for walls or even a small vent way to escape this tortures room. The architect had a purpose of this room, “one way in and no way out”, what have I done to deserve such horrid punishment. I think of all the things I had said before, but then think maybe it’s not what I said it’s what I didn’t say.. But it’s much too late now; my life is only a repeated accident, a mistake to never be forgiven.

“Hey you okay”
She looks toward Taylor staring at him as if she doesn’t know him.

“Sorry I just guess I’m still tired, from last night.”

“Yeah me too…you want some water or something I can run and get you some.”

“No no I’m fine thanks.”
She grasps at her head closing her heavy eyelids trying to ease the pain she feels throbbing in her head.

“Its not a big deal for me to go get you water, here I’ll go get it now.”
He touches her hand softly.

“No, I said no…She gets up from the bed. I mean… never mind sorry… I think I should go home now Taylor.”
She looks him in the eyes still holding on to her head with one hand and the other at her side.

“You… you don’t have to go now. I guess if you really wanted to though, but you’re going to miss dinner and going to the movies tonight.”

“I’m sorry Taylor just not today… I’ll go get my things packed up.”
She walks past him at the door way and heads down stairs to the den. He followed her. She stuffed all her belongings into the small bag she had packed. She set the bag down, ripped the sheets off the bed, and put them near her bag. Taylor stopped her and put his hand on her shoulder.

“I’ll clean up the rest of it, you just go.”
She picked up her bag and walked towards the steps. Then stopping and remembering how much Taylor had comforted her. She thrust her arms around him holding him tight.

“Thank you, thank you for every thing.” She whispered in his ear.

“I guess I’ll see you around town maybe.” He lets go of her watching her leave up the stairs.

- 4 -

She sets back down the paved road to her evil queen that torments and feeds off of her life and flesh. The walk is not far but it seems further this time. Thinking of all the possible things that her mom will do to her for running away. Maybe sit in the corner for a day or do more homework, cleaning out the backyard, anything. She reaches the end of the street to where she’s twenty feet away from her house, and when she reaches that area, she’s dead like the rodent on the street. She tightens her clutch on her backpack walking slowly up the uneven porch. The screen door is open and she hears her mom in the kitchen. She walks in casually staring at her mom as she rolls out cookie dough.

“Is someone here…”
Her mom still looking down at the rolled out dough not even noticing her
“Amaryllis… Oh my god amaryllis… honey”
She embraces her daughter close to her chest smoothing her hair with her hands covered in flour.

“Mom I’m so sorry… I’m sorry.”

“Hush hush… its okay Amaryllis I already know. Here go wash up and I just put in a batch of sugar cookies and I’ll make some hot tea for you.”
Amaryllis stares oddly at her mom.

“Mom but you never bake.”

“Well surprise I do now…She smiles widely, now go hurry and get washed up.”
She walks down the hall to her room placing her bag near her door then walking into the bathroom. She looked in the mirror focusing on all the dark circles of hurt, shame, guilt. But all that was about to wash away her life was changing now and this time it was a good change.

“Amaryllis hurry the cookies are going to get cold.”
She splashed the water into her face, then drying it off with the towel.

“Coming mom.”
“Here I want you to try this sweetie.”
She hands Amaryllis a warm cookie in the palm of her hand, placing the two cups of tea on the table. Steam rises as Amaryllis lifts the hot cup of tea to her mouth.

“No not yet sweetie I haven’t added sugar or milk. So what did you think of the cookie?”
She pushes the cookie in her mouth slowly then chewing it slowly to taste every flavor.

“Are you sure you’ve never baked before.”

“What are you trying to say Amaryllis?”
She shrugs her shoulder and eats the rest of the cookie.

“There pretty good, I just can’t believe this is your first time baking and something great like this would come out.”
Amaryllis reaches for another cookies and her mom finish putting the cookies into the oven.

The next morning Amaryllis is well rested and relived, she rises to see her room clean and put back to place. She slips on her house shoes walking down the hall to the kitchen where her mom sits hovered by newspaper eating a bowl of cereal, as she does most mornings.

“Good morning Amaryllis… I left some cookies on the counter if you want and there is orange juice in the fridge. I was hoping after I run some errands and go to the bank that we could hang out some place, you want to go with me?”

“Do I have to?”

“I suppose you don’t have to go I just thought it would be fun to run some errands with you.”
She shakes her head.

“Mom since when has running errands with your fifteen year old daughter fun.”

“I don’t know I think it just became a fashion.”
She gets up from the table carrying her bowl and walking by Amaryllis pinching her cheek.

“Well how about this I drop you off at Taylor’s house and you hang while I go do errands and then after ward I pick you up and we go shopping or something fun.”

“Mom are you sure because I can stay here I don’t have to go to Taylor’s house today.”

“Yes go Amaryllis; look I’m trying to change a bit if you haven’t noticed so please just go before I change my mind.”
She hugs her mom tight then running to her room to change.

“Thanks mom.”
Her door slams she opens her closet door looking at all her choices.
She picks out shorts and a tank top, the weather is hot enough today. Out the door, she brings the same bag and empties it out then filling it with her bathing suit and flip-flops.

“Bye Mom see you in a while.”
She rushes out the door kissing her mom on the cheek.

“I thought I was dropping you off.”

“It’s not that far of a walk mom.”

“Okay well call me later and don’t forget to use sunscreen if you go swimming.”
She waves to her mom then walking towards Taylor’s house once again.

Amaryllis doesn’t knock at the front door she just walks through the back gate into the back yard.

“Is anyone here, hello?”
She walks around the corner slowly looking around the back yard for Taylor. He jumps from behind her touching her shoulders. Amaryllis screams bloody Mary and goose bumps rise on her body and her face turns a lighter shade.

“Taylor oh my god you scared me.”
He laughs.

“Yeah you should’ve seen your face. So what exactly are you doing in my backyard I thought you would be in tons of trouble?”

“So you thought, but we just talked and like that we were the perfect two.”
Taylor steps back from her.

“Are we talking about the same mom that you complain about everyday almost because the way you talk about her everyday she sounds like one “tough cookie”.”

“Please don’t get me started I’m still in shock myself, right now I’m just trying to enjoy that freedom.”
Taylor rolls his eyes and walks past her.

“Sure whatever. So um what should we do?”
Amaryllis stands for a while thinking to here self then smiling.

“What, what’s did you just think of, are you having another one of those visions where you just wake up crying.”
Amaryllis hits his shoulder.

“Uh no I had something good to share that would relieve us from boredom.”

“Well go on share.”
Amaryllis walks to the edge of the pool sitting and waving her feet in the water.

“Since I’m such a cry baby I don’t think I should share, at least not with you. Maybe someone else like a boyfriend, grandma or random nobody on the street.”

“You have a boyfriend?”
Taylor’s eyes bulk out that run a caution sign over them.

“No, and why would you be concerned about it?”

“Well obviously you don’t care much about him because you called him an “IT”.”
Amaryllis turns to face Taylor looking him in the eye.

“You know what Taylor why don’t we just end this right here and… just forget about boyfriends and relationships.”
Taylor grins from the side of his mouth. She gets up from the edge of the pool dusting her shorts.

“Get that grin off your face Taylor.”

“What I just can’t be polite and smile.”

“Oh yeah give me a break, that’s far from being polite your just thinking of something to prank me. But I’m smarter than that.”
He gets off the ground and walks towards Amaryllis, thrusting up his hands.

“I promise I don’t have anything planned, look examine me I have nothing on me.”
She shakes her head and goes to the lawn chair where she laid down all her stuff. She laid down folding her arms behind her head closing her eyes to block from the sun.

“What so now you’re going to just ignore me or something?”

“If you want to join me there’s another lawn chair you know.”
Taylor moves the lawn chair closer to Amaryllis and he sits on the edge watching her. She opens her eyes slightly.

“I’m not sleeping beauty; you don’t have to stare at me that way.”

His eyes still focus on me like a Hawk does to its prey. The force of his eyes feels as if there strong enough to burn a hole in my skin. And now it’s as if I’m watching my self sleep, I can’t move my human body, I’m trapped in a glass case with no way out I beat on the glass case trying to wake myself up but, my chest doesn’t make a up and down motion its still and subtle, I beat again and again until something stops me, I look around the room draped with white linen and forest floors. Taylor still by my side fails to notice that this ghost form of me still exists; he just lay weeping by the glass case looking as a lost hope. I feel week and non existing at that moment like I’m fading into the dry dirty earth but I hold on to whatever’s left but there’s something greater out there that pulls me in and I’m back.
My ghost body is whole with my beat down earthly body and all is released. I shoot up like a lily fresh in the spring hitting the hard cold glass. I examine to see a crack in the glass but it has only done the opposite and broken me, my head cracks like a bruised egg and shatters to pieces all falling apart again loosing my self in the world, and like every fairy tale ends it’s a happy ever after. But the happiness falls on the world I leave behind me.

“You’re going to hurt your eyes staring at the sun like that.”
She stares up out into the sun not noticing but glaring at something further deeper than human. She looks down at her sun kissed bare stomach.

“How long have we been out here?”
Taylor looks at her funny.

“You already asked me that, like two minutes ago.”

“No I didn’t I was just laying here sleep, what are you talking about?”
He shakes his head with a worried look on his face, but still with slight smile thinking, she was kidding.

“No you didn’t we just had a full conversation about going to the carnival tonight and how scared you are of clowns. Do you not remember?”
She goes through her head remembering all that happened and she remembers now is falling a sleep and the dream she had. She rubs her temples and closes her eyes.

“I can’t go to the carnival I’m …I’m supposed to go shopping with my mom tonight…she should be here now. What time is it?”
She grabs her bag and shirt getting up from the chair walking away. Taylor follows her in a hurry.

“You already called your mom and she said that both of our families would go together. Is there really something wrong?”

“No, no… no.”
She shook her head closing her eyes walking to the gate.

“I have to go Taylor…”
He stops her grabbing on forcefully to her arm she moves back from the pain.

“Amaryllis listen to me we already called your mom and were all going to the carnival now please just go back inside and calm down. You just like dozed out and now all of a sudden you’re going crazy. Look I promise… just believe me Amaryllis. Now would I ever lie to you...? Ama just answer me.”
She stares at him tears slowly rolling down her check and he slowly loosens his grip on her arm letting it fall by his side. She looks behind her as if to run away, but she looks back to Taylor and his gaze is soft and warming but still demanding.

“I… I don’t remember... at all I can’t remember us talking or anything… the only thing I remember is me in a glass case silent and still.”

“What are you talking about Amaryllis you weren’t in a glass case? Maybe the sun got to you, why don’t you come inside.”
He grabs for her arm again but she moves it away fast.

“No, no… I know what I saw Taylor. You… you where there too... And it was like I was a ghost or a sprit. I could see another body like my own but it was hurting… I wanted to touch it but it… it…”

“Amaryllis stop, just stop it please your freaking me out now so please just…just come on.”
She looks blankly; tears still fall down her face.
He tries grabbing for her arm but she stiffens it to her body moving away from him.

“You...you don’t believe me, I swear you were there Taylor you were just there believe me please...please. I’m not going crazy I know what I saw, just… please I promise Taylor.”
She falls to her knees pleading him, her tears sob down on her shirt soaking the collar.

“I’m sorry, I…just can’t.”
He picks her up carrying her as if to cradle her. He carried her into his house up his stairs and letting her go as her approached his room.

“Why don’t you just calm down and take a shower, and then maybe we can talk later ... You’re just not your self right now.” ”

“But it really did…”
He touched his finger to her lips.

“Just go cool down and when you’re ready to talk then we will.”
She obeyed and walked to the bathroom still in her bathing suit top and tan shorts that she came in.

- 5 -

Taylor was right the shower did relieve her but her brain was still rambled and confused. She walked down the hall into Taylor’s room knocking on the wall waiting to be welcomed in even though his door was wide open.

“My doors open you can come in.”
He sat looking at a sports magazine but he moved over saving room for Amaryllis. She sat beside him putting her bag on the ground next to her. Her hair was dangled down her back wet and cold to her skin, she used it to cover her face.

“So are you…you okay now?”
He try’s to make eye contact with her but she fumbles with her nails.

“Yeah a little.”
She looks up at him, her eyes were puffy and swollen he could tell that she had been crying in the shower.

“I’m sorry if I came a little too hard on you… you know outside and all, I didn’t mean to make you cry.”
A tear rolls down her check and she try’s to hide it by keeping her head down, not looking up at him.

“Please don’t cry... I’m really sorry, it’s just sometimes I’m very strong about things and I didn’t want you to have to leave again today…He pauses waiting for her to respond but she just keeps her head down. We can talk if you won’t I’m all ears.”
Her head still hangs low to her knees and she doesn’t talk for a moment, then her head rises.

“I…I don’t know what happened today…it was like I was fine for one moment and then all of a sudden I go into a…a different world or something and I…I see things.”

“What do you mean you see things?”

“There like dreams or visions but none of them are good they all have messages.”
He blinks hard trying to figure her out.

“So this has happened more than once.”
Amaryllis nods her head.

“I know I should’ve told you sooner but…but it’s weird and every time it happens it’s like it stays with me and controls me or something.”

“Can’t you just open your eye’s and make it go away?”

“That’s the problem, it controls me I can’t just close my eyes and then boom I’ll be in the dream but it just happens whenever it wants.”
Taylor shows no expression on his face he just stares.

“What…what do you see?”
She held back for a second then thought if Taylor was going through it he would’ve told her everything, but this was personal her thoughts and everything inside her head.

“It’s time to go Taylor, hurry we have to be in time for the free pony rides.”
Elizabeth interrupts her and yells from outside his room, but she’s grateful for it the silence, the heaviness just weighed her down.

“Come on lets go to the carnival now, maybe that will brighten your day a little more than it has been.”
She smiles awkwardly looking at him as if he had just read her mind.

“What?”

“Nothing just glad that were friends.”

“No you mean Best friends.”
They both smile and walk out of the room down stairs to get in the car.

The carnival is piled with people, Taylor and Amaryllis walk side by side watching over Elizabeth seeing her go round and round in a small circle on the back of a pony.

“You want to go get frozen lemonade and a pretzel after this.”
Amaryllis shakes her head. She just stares at the ground looking at the motion of Taylor’s feet. Back and forth. Back and forth. It was a rhythmic time no off beats or interruptions. It was precise. Her eyes fog and she sets back again.

My eyes open wide and I pick up my heavy weighed down head. I look around cautiously knowing the risk because I’ve been in this game before. There’s no way out as usual but that’s fine I won’t end up living anyway. Around my neck, is a thickly woven rope tied in a loop holding me, from falling into this vortex? I stretch my neck up to seek of any hope, but I’m supported by a small plank of wood above and beneath me. The only way to find out is if I try. So I take a chance. I lift my body using the string as a lift hoping to dear God that the plank above me doesn’t give out. I steadily position myself on this unbalanced plank and try not looking down into the darkness below me. My eyes focus straight in front of me and in the distance, I see a tall figure. I step a little faster to meet this figure in my path. His eyes are an amber brown and his skin so smooth and gentle. I don’t know who this man is but my feet picks up pace and I run smoothly across the broken path. I call out to him, in need of strength. My body fails once again. I’m falling now, into the devils never-ending pit. He calls out my name, “Amaryllis” I only answer with a cry, knowing this time that he left me again.

Back and forth. Her eyes still adjusted to the motion even though Taylor’s gone now. She looks up trying to find sign of him again. She gets up from the bench walking through the mob of middle-aged parents keeping up with there teens. She looks in every direction looking overheads and shoulders to find him.

“Amaryllis I thought I told you to wait for me at the bench.”
He holds two cups of lemonade and a pretzel in his hands. She looks at him trying to remember what she said to him last.

“Come on were going to go see the rest of the zoo animals.”
He grabs her hand leading her through the crowd. But she lets go.
He turns around questioning her.

“What are you doing come on?”
She started into his eyes, trying to find her self again. It always had to be a negative force and this time it was overruling her.

“I...”

“What Amaryllis… what?”

“Never mind.”
She grabbed his hand again walking behind him following his path.

Ama's realizing that her dreams are becoming more frequent and she's learning the capabilities she has in using them but sometimes at the wrong time.

Section two:

- 1 -

“So how did you enjoy the carnival honey?”
Amaryllis sinks down into the couch trying to go unnoticed. Her mom folds down the newspaper and they catch each other’s eye.

“What’s the matter honey? Did the rides upset your stomach?”
She roles her eyes and flips the channel on TV.

“You know green tea might help sooth you sweaty.”
She rises from the couch walking out with frustration and annoyance.

“Get a life mom, green tea doesn’t solve all your problems. Okay!”
She slams the door to her bedroom. Her mom mopes at the table coping with the harsh spoken words. But she gives Amaryllis the space and time needed. She leaves a cup of green tea and the sugar cookies she likes on the stove.

Amaryllis leans over the toilet gagging up the dizziness and confusion, which happened to be from her life not the rides. She wiped her mouth then getting up from the toilet and laying on her bed. But that would only resolve her nausea again. She tried to relax her eyes and forget about everything. And the motion began again.

Her eyes popped open and she rose up looking around her big lifeless room. The walls were blank and the floors were bare and naked with nothing but dust to share with. She stepped on to the floor pacing her self out into the hallway into the kitchen. Amaryllis noticed the cookies laying there beside the now cold cup of tea she rejected. She took the plate of cookies sitting at the table.

“What are you doing up this early honey?”
Amaryllis mom walked in rubbing the sleep out of her eyes and adjusting the glasses on her face. Amaryllis turns around slightly as if she’d known that her mom would join her at this hour of the morning.

“I couldn’t sleep any more.”
She walks over to Amaryllis rubbing the back of her arm and then smoothing out her hair. She unties her ponytail, twirling her finger around her hair.

“Mom what was my dad like?”
Her mom stops combing through her hair and she sits down in the chair across from Amaryllis.

“Honey you... You never had a father really… well at least a present one to take care of you and all. Why do you ask?”
She reaches out to touch Amaryllis hand, but she rejects it moving her hand to her lap.

“So that’s all, you adopted me? Or what did I come from some alien planet.”
Amaryllis face goes blank and her checks turn red and violet like a slap on the check.

“No honey I got a sperm donor… because I had had horrible relationships in the begging and I really wanted a baby sweetie I really wanted to have a baby. I just loved them so I…”
She tries to grab her hands again; Amaryllis gets up from the table.

“Your sick, that’s just what you are you’re a sick old woman.”
Her mom stands up shaking her fist at Amaryllis.

“There is nothing wrong with getting a sperm donor Amaryllis, nothing wrong. If I weren’t for me you wouldn’t even been born.”

“Oh shut up you old hag you’re just…”
Her mom comes at her slapping her across the check. Amaryllis head turns fast not knowing what just hit her. She tightened at the hurt and the blister it left beneath her skin. She lifted her hand balling it into a fist punching her mom in her left eye, watching her glasses fall to the ground breaking into pieces. Amaryllis ran out the door, surrendering to the fight.

She runs and runs to were ever her legs lead her. The wind against her battle scar stings as the cool air hits her skin. She stops at a half eaten tree by termites and hard striking lighting that had hit weeks before. She kneeled behind dead tree stomp, hiding from the road of cars.

The room grows warm and deems I sit in a cold hard chair moving around to find soft ground. Something moves swiftly around me, people in matching blue and white scrubs run behind a screaming woman on a stretcher. Her arms are stretched out holding on to the bars placed around her like a babies crib locked away from dangerous things. I follow them down the hall wanting to see more of this woman, I don’t know why they placed me here but I still follow. Maybe it’s my destiny. I wonder down the hall going past the open doors where I stand forgetting what room they went in. Then I hear the woman scream out again, waking up all the neighbors to her. I reach the room and they now have her hooked up to a lot of tubes, her skin is a earth tone and her eyes strike out like a spring green and reminding me of Easter and hiding candy colored eggs in the tall grass. I smile reminding myself of what the past used to be. Another woman enters the room running to her and embracing her tightly smoothing out her candy apple hair on to the pillow. She whispers something into her ear and the other woman begins to cry. I can’t hear or see what the two women are saying or crying about. The other woman touches her belly smoothly and softly. A doctor returns and talks to them both as they hold hands tight and a team of doctors rush in carrying the woman out. The woman shakes and her eyes roll back and her earth tone skin goes pale like the milk in an old kicked around carton. I sit and I wait hoping to see her again not wanting to follow her again though, just waiting.

Thirty minutes have past and the doctor’s return with a towel bundled up and inside is a baby. Its eyes are a golden amber opposite from its mother but sun kissed earth tone that warms my blood. The baby’s hair is a fuzz of red and brown swirled into one. The doctor passes the baby along to the other woman and she cradles her softly singing a lullaby. I stand up walking to the woman wanting to see more of the precious baby. I stare at the woman standing right in front of her, she looks up to me as if to know that I’m there, and she does, she knows I exist now. Because I am the baby, she holds in her arms.

- 2 -

Amaryllis stands dusting her self off from the dirt and gravel underneath her. She walks back home thinking of all the hateful things she has on her mind but she walks calmly to not show her emotions. The porch steps creek as she walks up them and she walks into the door to see the queen icing her bruised eye. She tries to hold in what wants to come out but it bursts out like leaking flames.

“You lied to me?”
She moves closer to the table where she sits.

“Amaryllis what are you talking about?”

“Oh… oh you know exactly what I’m talking about you old nasty lying, two faced devil.”
The queen stands trying to defend her self by raising the other hand that’s free pointing at Amaryllis.

“Don’t you call me a devil, I am your mother and you know nothing. Don’t come in to my house saying things like that.”

“Yeah you wish I didn’t, but I know every thing “Crystal”. You just made me believe I had something great in my life and now you blew it just for once I thought I had something real. But turns out you’re just another liar.
She shakes her head to her looking her straight in the eye.

“But you’re not even my mother.”
Tears come rushing down her dry soften checks like waterfall.

“Amaryllis that’s not true I am your mother and I will be till the day you die.”

“If you are then prove it, prove that you’re the mother of Amaryllis Anna Sofia… And I guess you can’t because your not. My mother died after giving birth to me and you were her best friend and godmother to me, and you promised my mother that you… that you would treat me like your own. And I hate her for that; I hate her for leaving me…”

“You never even knew her Amaryllis how dare you say such awful things like that, your mother loved you.”
More tears came out and her face stiffened from the dried tears and more to come. They scream and yell back and forth to each other with emotions spilling out.

“Then why did she leave me with you? Why the heck did she leave with an ugly stupid person like you then? Uh… uh do you know?”
Amaryllis screams from the top of her lungs, getting red in the face. She runs over to her charging her with a butter knife she picked up from the table.

“Amaryllis put that down, what’s gotten into you... I’m going to call the police if you don’t stop now.”

“Call the police I wish you would maybe they’ll shot me down into a thousand pieces and you can watch me die just like you did my mother.”

“I’m dialing now Amaryllis I told you to back up.”
She moves closer wanting to dart the knife at her, straight to the heart. The queen backs up behind the counter as a block between her and Amaryllis. She picks up the phone calling 9-1-1.

“Why don’t you just drink some green tea to solve your problem uh? Why don’t you just drink some maybe I’ll just disappear just like you wanted me to?”
Amaryllis picks up the cup of tea and throws it at her. The tea splashes on her and the cup shatters on the ground.

“Amaryllis that’s enough stop it, just stop it okay. I don’t have anything else for you…you know it all okay. I’m sorry your mother died but she was my best friend too.”
She moves closer still avoiding her pleads of forgiveness.

“Whatever you’re just a suck up you want me to really believe you …no no I won’t believe you.”
She yells again wanting to just go on and jab the knife through her skin, again and again.

“Put it down now, now.”
She turns around facing the police, the knife still tightly wrapped around her fingers.

“Amaryllis just do it, put it down Amaryllis.”

“I heard him the first time you idiot just shut up gosh.”
Her fingers are still holding on to the knife and she stands still with tears and anger stemming out like fireworks.

“I’m giving you three seconds to put the knife down … one, two, three… put it down now.”

“Amaryllis please just do it, now Ama please.”
Her hands tighten into a fist and she stands still. A shock of thunder hits her left side and she falls to the ground unconscious.

- 3 -

She sits on a hard small cot her back against the wall, and her hands tied behind her back like a prisoner. Her left side acnes of pain and stings from the pressure she gives by touching it. The swelling in her check has gone down. Amaryllis looks around uncertain of were she’s at so she get up from where she’s sitting and find a switch.

“I’m trying to take a nap here sister girl so would you mind turning off that light.”
Amaryllis jumps her heart beating fast, she starts looking around the room to see a dark woman sleeping behind the curtains they placed around each bed.

“Where... Where am I?”

“You in the state hospital baby, Welcome.”
Amaryllis looks down to her feet noticing the grounded tile, and the smell of Clorox in the room.

“Well my name is Clorisha, but most people call me Clo or Isha but I don’t really care call me anything you want.”
Amaryllis wonders around not really listing to her, she opens the door sticking her head out.

“I wouldn’t go out there if I were you; the last person that did woke up in the white room and didn’t eat dinner for two days.”
Amaryllis avoided her talking and walked out of the room, she passed a man in his room gray and old he sat there talking to a stuffed animal.
She passed the next four rooms not daring to look in. She comes to a tall man dressed in a white doctor coat and jeans and a t-shirt.

“What are you doing walking around?”
Amaryllis looks into the room on her right looking at a boy, his hair is jet black, his bangs sit on his right eye going all the way to his chin.

“I…I was going to get some water.”

“I’ll bring you water in a minute go back to your room.”
Amaryllis moved forward trying to go around the skyscraping man.

“I can get it myself.”
She feels eyes staring at her, so she turns facing the boy in his room again, he turns quickly looking down.

“Just go back to your room and I promise I’ll bring you your water.”

“Why can’t just go and get it my self?”
She walks around him but he catches her arm, she twists and stomps on his foot. He yelps in pain and he lets go, Amaryllis runs down the hall busting through doors.

“Security, security.”
A man in uniform chases after Amaryllis she jumps over piles of white sheets left out side the doors. The man grabs for her she dumps over a janitors cart the man slips and falls. Two other big sized men come running after her one catches on to her arm she tries to beat him off but the other man picks her up by her two arms tied together.

“I just wanted some water, put me down… put me down.”
She kicks her legs trying to get lose; the men just walk calmly as if it was normal. She screams loud till her voice is horse and out of tune. They place her down on the ground in a room with no windows and all white.
Tears fall fast and she screams out again.

“I hate you, I hate you, let me out of here. I just wanted some water please let me out.”
She cried into her knees rocking back and forth to calm her self. The door shined a white light and she lifted her head. The nurse had a glass of water in his hands.

“Here’s the glass of water you asked for, and maybe next time you’ll just do as I say won’t you.”
He bent down to hand her water; she kicked the cup into his face letting the water drip off of him.

“Shut up and un tie me.”
The cup spilled over but then stood up right now only half left to drink. The nurse whipped his face off on the coat and started to walk out the room.

“I said untie me you stupid idiot.”
He turned around looking at her.

“No”
He closed the door behind him and left her to suffer. She thought maybe she should’ve listened to Clorisha the first time. She got up from the floor going to lay on the hard cot on the floor. She slept this time, letting all her heavy weight down into the mat to leave her with peace.

“Wake up, wake up.”
Amaryllis moved back and forth, her eyes popped open and she glared at the man she had throw water at.

“It’s six o’clock in the morning what do I need to get up for.”

“Uh no it’s eleven now get up or you’ll be late for lunch.”
She rises up fast.

“Uh lunch, why you didn’t wake me up for breakfast.”

“Because you were disruptive last night and you lost your privilege to go to breakfast now go on.”
He unties her hands from her back; she rubs the red imbedded marks they leave on her skin.

“And what did I do to be disruptive and not eat breakfast.”
He smirks to himself.

“Uh well let’s see you did a lot, you spit water into my face you tripped an officer by throwing a janitors cart in his way, you stepped on my foot and you called me an idiot. Don’t you think that’s enough to get you into the silent room?”

“No I don’t and if you don’t get that Barbie doll look off your face I’m going to put you in the silent room.”

“Come on there waiting for you.”
They walked out the room walking down the hall to a big open space with tables placed every where. All different aged people sat along like a high school cafeteria. They walked in through the double doors.

“Well here you go, the line starts over there and please don’t get into any more trouble.”

“Yes captain.”
He walks off in the other direction and she stares at all the people as they chow down on there food.

“Are you looking for something?”
She turns around; and her roommate stands behind her

“Uh no I’m just fine.”

“I told you so, you didn’t listen to me I heard you screaming last night.”
She walks the other way.

“Yeah I need no more reminders.”
She follows behind her and they walk through the line together.

“Well Chlorisha how did you get here.”
She puts her hand on her hips and looks down through her glasses at her.

“Oh sweaty I’ve been here forever, and I forgot how I even got here.

“Wow that’s pretty tough.”
She piles her plate with every thing she sees and carries it back to an empty table.

“Are you really that hungry?”
She nods her head stuffing garlic bread into her mouth.

“So how did you end up here?”

“I got into a fight.”
She takes a gulp of water and looks down at her food.

“With who, your boyfriend, a teacher?”

“I don’t really know you that well so I’d rather not share all my personal business to others.”

“Girl you better confess I just told you my business.”

“Yes and that was very generous of you, but if you didn’t want to all you had to say was no thanks.”
She got up from her seat carrying her tray to the trashcan, taking only a chocolate cake and a bag of chips from the pile of unfinished foods.

“Where are you going? You know your going to get in trouble for walking in the halls right now.”

“Well then what can I do? They already abused me last night and now I can’t even walk around.”
She walks over to her.

“After this we can go outside and have free time for an hour.”
A nurse came in the room to release every one; she followed the crowd through the double doors they held open.
Captain came walking my way.

“Hey Captain.”

“You have a visitor in the waiting room; it’s a dude who’s like this tall and…”
Her eye‘s get big and she runs to the door of the waiting room.

“Taylor.”
He pulls her in hugging her tight.

“How did you know I was here?”
She releases from him still holding on to his hands.

“My mom told me, so she drove me over here to see you.”
She looks down at the ground, tears forming in her glands.

“I’m sorry Taylor, I don’t know what happened to me yesterday it was like my anger level went up and I couldn’t control it. I have this black eye and this tazzer mark on my side too.”
He looks confused and questionable.

“Do you not know...? What happened to me?”
He shakes his head wanting to know more.

“I asked my mom “Crystal” what happened to my dad and she told me I didn’t have a dad and that she got a sperm donor to have me.” She shakes her head more tears rolling down her checks. “But she lied to me again because Crystal didn’t have me at all, my…my mother died when giving birth to me. But I just can’t believe that she would keep something like that for so long.”
Taylor wraps his arms around her letting her cry into his shoulder.

“I’m so sorry Ama, I’m so sorry.”
He whispered into her ears, rubbing her back to comfort her.

“But that’s not even all, I saw all of this in a vision and I …I saw my mom, she was beautiful her eyes were green and her skin, was sun kissed, you should’ve seen her Taylor she was beautiful. Oh and her hair, it was long and a deep candy apple red. I just wish I had her here now, and maybe I wouldn’t be here.”
He kissed her forehead and she rocked in his arms.

“When will you come visit me again?”
She sits up from his lap.

“Well I’m leaving Thursday to go visit my family in Florida with my parents but I’ll be back in three weeks.”

“Taylor that’s tomorrow and what am I supposed to do with out you for three weeks, …you’re the only one who knows and plus I’m a square here nobody cares about me.”

“I promise I’ll be back to visit you, I promise.”
He hugs her one last time.

“What so you expect me to go on in this place with your sorry hug and your promise.”

“Amaryllis don’t be like that, were best friends I would never leave you like that and I love you. Just don’t get into any trouble.”
Her eyes water again and she makes puppy dog face making Taylor feel sorry for her.

“Come here.” He embraced her again holding tighter.

“Don’t let me go Taylor.”

“I’m sorry Ama.”
He dropped something into her hands then leaving out the door. She waved goodbye to him.

Amaryllis walked back to her room after shower, she dropped her clothes on the floor near her bed. She heard a metal sound under her clothes she found a ring that had paper wrapped up in it. She opened the crumbled piece of paper with Taylor’s writing all over it.

I found this ring and thought of you

- I love u Ama

She looked down at the ring; it had two hands clasped together and a heart was placed inside. She held the note to her chest and slipped the ring on her finger admiring how it looked on her hand.

“What are you over there sniffing about?”
Clorisha sat reading a cross word puzzle.

“Oh sorry I just, I got a ring from my best friend.”
She walked over to her bed showing her the hand, Clorisha looks down at the ring.

“Um, looks more than just a friendship ring to me; I think he’s trying to tell you something.”
She smiles looking down through her glasses.

“No were just friends, I promise we are. Nothing more just best friends just that.”
“Okay”
She puts her book back in her face and Amaryllis goes into her bed facing the wall holding on to the note Taylor wrote to her. She can sleep now, now that she knows Taylor is there.

“Amaryllis just come right here it’s not that far.”
I walked along the sandy ground feeling every mineral linger between my toes. I wrapped the towel around my body tight feeling the wind blow through my damp hair.

“No I’m done getting wet I just want to lie down.”
I lay down on the sand, feeling the cool ground settle with my skin. I listen to all the swish and swoosh of the ocean water. It tickles the tips of my toes sending goose bumps up my spine.

“Oh you’re such a party pooper, get up.”
Taylor hovers over me pulling my hands to get me up.

“Nooo I don’t want to go.”

“Just walk with me then, let’s just walk around for a while.”
I get up dusting my bathing suit off.

“I want a piggy back ride.”
Taylor bends down and I hop on his back wrapping my legs around his waist.

“Gosh you’ve gotten heaver.”

“Oh shut up I bet you lift weights heaver than me. And where are we going anyway?”

“No where I just thought we would just walk around for a while till the sunset came out.”
I play with his hair twirling it around my fingers, his hair so blonde and smooth.

“Oww romantic, shouldn’t you be doing that with your girl friend, not your best friend. I mean it’s so common to see a guy do that with his girl friend.”
I bend my head over to see his reaction.

“Well I guess but I never thought of a sunset as a romantic thing, it’s just something every one should see.”
I look out to the horizon, the sea is calm, and the tides don’t come as frequent.

“Have you ever just looked out into the sea and thought how it would be to be a fish under water.”
Taylor looks up at her smiling.

“Uh no I don’t think I’ve ever just stared out into the sea and thought of being a fish, sorry.”
He bent down to put me back down to the ground. He grabbed my hand as we walked down the path.

“I’m sorry to interrupt again, but don’t you think it’s weird that were always holding hands.”

“No, do you not feel comfortable with me holding your hands? I never really thought anything of it but I guess I’ll stop”
My hand started to sweat and I loosened my grip.

“Nooo, no nothing like that I just think it’s something that people do when there dating and I just…”
Taylor turns to face me.

“What’s with you and this dating topic, I mean everything I’ve done today you’ve said something about dating.”

“I just… never mind that I said anything. But I mean it just seems that we…”
I grab his hand and go silent he holds it tight, as if to never let it go.

“Girl if you don’t eat your food its goanna get cold and nasty.”
Amaryllis plays with the stiff meat loaf drenched in brown sour gravy. She passes her plate to Clorisha knowing that meat loaf is her favorite dish.

“You just don’t know what your missing Ama, you just don’t know.”
She dug into her plate, while Amaryllis looked around trying to find someone interesting to look at. Her eyes set on boy she saw the night she arrived. His hair shoulder length and black, he has bangs down to his chin covering the right side of his face.

“Hey Clo who is that guy right there?”

“Oh that’s Scott, his parents are like million-airs but they put him here because they have no one else to look after him and they think he’s on drugs.”
Amaryllis looks at him again watching him in silence, he doesn’t make much movement, just sits.

“Why don’t you go and introduce your self his about your age I’m sure he’d like some color in his life.”

“You done with your tray?”
She grabs the trays walking over to the trash can dumping all the trash in.

“How do you know so much about that guy?”
They all walk out to the court yard outside.

“Stuff goes around so then every one finds out, but of course nothing of yours has gone around because you refuse to talk about anything.”

“Well my bad I’ve never been much of a gossiper, maybe one day. I’ll meet up with you later.”
She walks to the phone dialing Taylor’s number.

“Hello, Amaryllis is this you?”

“Yeah hey, how’s Florida? Have you taken a lot of pictures?”

“It’s great, I wish you could see it Ama it’s really nice here.”
Amaryllis thinks of the vision she had that evening before she talked to Taylor.

“How is it there have you meet anyone yet?”

“No sadly not except my room mate but it’s only the first week and a few days here so I’m not concerned about making friends I just want to get out.”

“Okay well I got to go Ama but I love you and don’t do anything crazy.

“Love you too.”
She hangs the phone up, looking down at her ring smiling to her self. She bumps into someone not paying much attention to her walk way.

“Oh I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine”
She looks up to see the boy she was eyeing at lunch, and hesitates but then keeps walking.

- 4 -

“Sister Girl you had me waitin forever, I was wondering when you’d be back.”
Amaryllis walks up to Clo, looking at her sit on the swings, her shoes were marked and blushed with dirt stains all over.

“Sorry I was just talking to Taylor on the phone, I thought I told you that when we left the cafeteria.”
She sits on the lowered swing, barely hanging on to the wire tied on to it.

“Does it look like I can remember things...? No I didn’t think so.”

“Oh sorry.”
Clorisha slaps her knee and laughs, she leans her head back almost losing her balance off the swing.

“Girl I’m just joking with you, I got better memory then Albert Einstein, or that silly old blue fish Dora.”

“Uh… don’t you mean Dory?”
Clo looks at Amaryllis confused, and then they both break out of laughter at her mistake.

“Ouh girl you going to make me pee in my pants…well I haven’t had a good laugh like that in a while.”
She wipes the small tears from her eyes.
Amaryllis starts to swing, moving her feet far out in the air then bringing them back close to her body.

“Be careful, you wouldn’t want that old swing come tumbling down, now would you.”
Clorisha speaks like an experienced mother, with care and love in her heart. She just sits to watch Ama swing so high it seemed like if you were in a far enough distance she was flying.

Amaryllis sat on an old worn out lawn chair, her sandy brown red hair spiraled out against the poorly woven chair. The night breeze was cool and subtle; feeling like the breeze of the ocean sent her way. She imagined her self walking along the dock, hand and hand with Taylor and him holding her forever.

“You know your not suppose to go out at night with wet hair.”
Amaryllis sat up, she turned around to see Clo standing in the door way holding her hand on her hip. She wrapped the towel around her damp wet skin.

“How did you find me up here?”

“You lead me here, I saw wet foot prints leading down the hall way. Any one could’ve found you, you left an obvious trail.”
Amaryllis smiles and moves over leaving a space for her to sit. She sits and looks up into the stars.

“I see you’re a star gazer, my daddy used to always look up in the stars at night, drinking his coffee. Singing hymns from church. “
Amaryllis looked trying to find that picture of her dad in the stars, but only left to find the dark surrounding of sky and the five pointed objects they called stars. She turns to face Clo.

“Can you braid hair?”
Clorisha bent her head down trying to make eye level with her.

“Gurl please, I’ve been braiding hair before I knew how to crawl.
Clo turned facing the back of Amaryllis to braid her hair, she combed through with her hands. Feeling the cold wet strands of hair against her warm dark skin. She separated her hair into three even pieces, gently threading the thick mane into one neatly placed braid. Ama set her head back leaning on Clo as a support.

“Clo are we friends now?”

“Do I love meat loaf?”
She smiled looking down at Ama setting her head on hers. They had become like peas in pod, like banana’s in a Sunday, or cheese and crackers. Just meant to be. Mother and daughter.

Amaryllis turned and clenched at her aching stomach, her bed made the most annoying sounds. It reminded her of a plastic bag being crumbled up. She rose up from her bed looking at the clock then to Clo’s bed. Her comforter was folded neatly and tight around the sides with a peek of the sheet to add neatness and lady like. It was like bed model, picture perfect. She slipped on her mix-match flip flops and walked out of her room into the cafeteria were breakfast would be served. She spots Clo sitting at a table alone, so she joins her.

“Why did you leave without me?”
She looks up at Amaryllis with a sarcastic look on her face.

“Gurl you old enough to get up on your own, I thought maybe you needed some time to sleep or something.”
Clo passes her a piece of toast with jelly spread on it, and she rejects.

“No my stomach is hurting right now.”

“Well were about to get break time and breakfast will end so you sure you don’t want anything to eat?”
She nods her head and Clo gets up from the table to throw away her trash.

“You coming or not, me and some others are going to go walking outside for break.”

“No I’ll just stay in and meet up with you later today.”

“Okay but you’re missing out.”
Clo walks on following the crows of people in front of her out the double doors leading to the court yard, while Amaryllis stays behind with a few others who chat to each other. She grabs her stomach, trying to sooth the rhythm tic pain that comes and goes like a hiccup interrupting as it pleases. Her head feels light and the floor feels like it’s moving even though she was sitting, and her throat felt like acid. She got up walking over to the trash can lifting off the top and leaning over. A weight or a burden was inside her and she let it go, releasing all the burden into the trash can. Her body hunched and brittle at the moment trying to hold on to the closest thing she had to life, the loud gagging and gasps for air were shocking to the few that were in the room. Two people got up running calling Captain in the room. She continued to throw up causing her body to feel weak and hopeless. A boy with jet black hair sitting there as hopeless as her looked up from his uninteresting book watching her in pain. Captain ran in the room, he had a wet paper towel in his hand and slapped it on her forehead; he patted her gently rubbing her hunched bones.

“Come on sweetie I’m going to take you to lay down.”
She whipped her face, flushed red from the blood rushing down to her head and her eyes dropped down, making them look watery and blood shot. She walked behind Captain slowly dragging her feet. She stopped in the hallway leaning over putting her back against the wall, she spit out blood catching it in her palms. Captain stopped running back to her patting her back. Tears ran down her eyes from the pain and nauseation she was in, she sat down on the floor crying into her knees. Captain reached down grabbing her and carrying her in his arms. He walked down the hall into her room placing her on her bed. He pulled up the trash can and a wet towel to lie on her forehead.

“You stay here a moment I’m going to go get you something to make you feel better.”
She grasped at here stomach almost tearing her skin into strips. Her jagged nails against her hurting bare skin. She leaned over the bed throwing up more blood. Bone and flesh hit the ground.

“Amaryllis, oh my god Amaryllis come on.”
Captain rushed in the room beside Amaryllis flipping her over to her back looking at her eyes rolled back to the ceiling. Her mouth wide open as a dead cow on the road. If he didn’t get her help soon enough she would be that dead cow on the road.

- 5 -
I write this letter to the world that was never written to me. Never a heads up on how human world might be, not even a manual of things that might go on. But I guess if we all had perfect lives there would be nothing to live for. I don’t know why I have these thoughts or so called dreams but, there teaching me I just wish everyone else could see. I lift my head looking around in a mysterious space, but this time it’s just air. I rise and move around walking slowly. Into nothing. Swirling and spinning in circles I go round and round making myself dizzy. My head lifts upward to the blank surrounding and I close my eyes and embrace it.

Crystal lies beside Amaryllis parting her hair swirled out on to the pillow. She looks at her dearly as if to cry any minute. Amaryllis turns her head wakening out of sleep. She lifts up her arm to see tubes coming in every direction, and the constant beeping sound in the back ground of all the hospital sounds. The throbbing and pain was removed from her side she touched the womb smoothing it out with her hands. Crystal laid her hand on her forehead then leaning over to kiss her. Amaryllis wanted to move away but was too weak to be rebellious, so she sat there in all discomfort. A man in a white coat walked into the room his head was going bald but looked like he was In late thirty’s and still a bachelor. Crystal stood and walked towards the doctor.

“We have some news and doctor requests for you.”
She nods her head in anticipation, looking back at Amaryllis as her eyes slowly shut but still listening in.

“We think cause of Amaryllis stomach pains and throwing up is maybe food poisoning or maybe an allergic reaction to spoiled or poorly cooked food. From throwing up she has a slight tear in her esophagus and that’s the cause of here throwing up blood. We advise her to only drink water for her fluids and eat soft chilled foods like apple sauce or yogurt.”
She nods her head.

“Amaryllis is currently living in the state hospital will they provide her with that?”

“Yes we will give her something to notify the hospital of her needs. I’ll have the nurse bring in her note as soon as ya’ll a ready to leave.”
He leaves out the door closing it gently. Crystal walks beside her bed looking down at her. The doctor peeks his head back in the door.

“I would also like her to not speak for the next three days to let her throat heal.
He leaves back out the door, and Crystal leans down to her level.

“Honey I hope you feel better I wish I could take you home and take care of you myself…but I guess they want you to stay in the state hospital for a couple more weeks or so.”
She turns her head to the other cheek trying to block out her words and fake sympathy for putting her here in this situation. If she could only speak, lord knows what she would say.

“Schools about to start up again you know, Taylor’s parents said they’d be returning soon.”
She moved to her left side facing the shuttered up window with thick heavy curtains hiding the outside world.

“Look I’m sorry sweetie but this....... this was my only option for you, I love you and I don’t want anything to hurt you or get in your way.”

“So you block me from everybody else, and lie to me.”
Her voice sounds like a jar of nails clinging together, an uneven harmony. Crystal grabs her things and walks out the door knowing was her time to go, prevailing another fight.

“Welcome back Ama. You though you were goin slip away from us uh.”
Clorisha gives her a soft motherly hug as she walks into the front door of the hospital. And standing behind her was captain; he stood there with his hands clasp in front of him. She walked over to him shaking his hands and smiling. He handed her a white board with a string attached to go around her neck to make things easier for her not to talk. She and Clorisha walked into there room and Amaryllis had two bears sitting at the edge of her bed. She sat and read the notes attached to them, both anonymous.

“I found those bears outside our door this morning; I was guessing they belonged to you so I left them on your bed.” She lay down on her bed trying to solve another cross word puzzle. Amaryllis got up from her bed and walked to the door.

“Um and were do you think your going young lady?”
Amaryllis wrote on her white board. “Up on the roof.”

“Well you be back by 9:30pm, I wouldn’t want batman to come a grab you.”
Amaryllis smiled and walked out the door walking up the stairs leading her to the roof. The air was chilled and the sky was darkening as the moon cast a light shadow on the tree tops. She walked to the broken rusted chairs occupied by the boy with dark hair and a piercing through his lower lip. She sat a far distance from him. She looked up into the sky feeling the light breeze that sent chills up her spine.

“You like star gazing?”
She snapped out of her moment looking to the boy next to her hesitating to speak then just nodding her head in response. He shook his head and looked the other way. She sat staring at the side of his face covered with bangs; he flipped his hair back looking her way. He looked down at her white board around her neck.

“It must suck not being able to talk.......” He pauses looking down at his shoes trying to make small talk with her. “What’s your name?”
She wrote down her name on the board writing it down in all caps.

“AMARYLLIS”

“Scott, my names Scott.”
He scoots closer by her meeting her half way to the distance. She offered a hand shaking it softly. She had never begun a greeting like this but thought it was appropriate.

“So what brings you here?”

“My mom’s a JERK.”
He laughs when he sees her writing.”

“Oh I see the typical mommy daughter fights. What did you do run away from home, on drugs?”
She avoids his question and writes something on the board.

“ARE YOU EMO?”
He chuckles and flips the hair out of his face again.

“No, no not really.”
He looks down at his worn out faded black skinny jeans and plaid black and red shirt with a hidden Beatles shirt.

“I’ve been seeing you around here for a while but I just haven’t had the guts to talk to you.”

“What’s there to be scared about I’m just human”
She writes small to make it all fit in the small space on the board.

“Exactly, humans judge people by appearances and I thought you would be that kind…. But I guess your not.”
She smiles and erases the writing from the board then gazing back up into the stars.

“I have to go now, see u later.”
She walks away back inside while she lays back on the chair looking up into the stars as they pop out one by one.

- 6 -

“Time flies by fast when your having fun”, but that’s in a perfect world. Living in a crazy house is not defined as normal, at least not in this society. The time must be different through these walls, it’s always 7am breakfast, 12pm sharp lunch, 1 o’clock break, 5 pm dinner, and showers are at 7pm or when ever some one has an accident. It happens frequently. The clock work is like a timer when it strikes the soldiers march to duty. No questions about it, it just happens.

Again wishing the clock would not strike to wake her or control humans like elves in Santa’s work shop. Though it did. She lifted her head rising and noticing the sleep and heaviness she hadn’t noticed before or the following nights. Clorisha was still in bed by the time she got down to the cafeteria not noticing but she probably needed the sleep she stayed up solving a puzzle as usual. Her feet dragged behind her like a dog’s tail to show pity to its master, looking around she sat at an empty table in the corner as if to say “please don’t bother me.” But in all situations there’s someone that doesn’t see that, it’s always the happy go lucky ones. He plops his tray down on the table then sliding on to the bench across from her. Not even speaking he chomps down on his food, his head bowed down hiding a soft non- infected face. He wears a blue shirt previously owned by a dude in his late thirty’s Amaryllis guess by just looking. The text says “Yellow submarine” featuring the Beatles down below.

“You like the Beatles?”
Her voice still has a crack sounds like a well progressed smoker, she tries to clear out her throat but there’s nothing to clear.

“Yeah … what about you?”
She opens her mouth to speak but nothing comes out, she tries clearing her throat again.

“You… Uh I can read lips just fine, or you could just shake your head “yes” or “no”.”
She nodded her head and smiled politely now grateful for his presence. He laughed to himself then thinking of what to ask he next.

“Uh do you have any siblings?”
She shook her head and he looked back down trying to think of something to keep them both entertained. She patted the table to get his attention then pointing to him.

“Do I have any siblings?”
She nodded her head.

“No but I’ve always wanted a little brother”
Amaryllis thought of Taylor’s little sister Elizabeth, her two long pigtails braided as tightly so her curls wouldn’t come out. She always kept shut in her room like a princess locked in her castle.

“What kind of music do you like?”
She shrugs her shoulder, trying to keep from the temptation to run her fingers through his hair that moves so softly when he makes the slightest movements.

“Do you like …um it’s so hard to think.”
She moves her hands like a wave back and forth like she’s about to dive into a swimming pool.

“Oh you like to swim?”
She nods her head smiling.

“I do to we have a pool at my house but I rarely swam in it. Oh yeah what instruments do you play anything? I play the piano.”
She jerks back almost falling out her seat, her eyes get big and she just stares at him. She moves her hands closer to his seeing if the myth is really true. She reaches for his hand but he moves them back slightly.

“You’re a palm reader?”
Her voice finally breaks in.

“No I want to see if you have piano fingers.”
He stretches out his hand on the table and she traces over the lines softly looking at his long skinny fingers, far apart like Texas and Maine. He looked down at her trying to see what she was looking for. She let go of his hand folding them and pushing them back over to him.

“What… what did you see?”
She avoids his question and moves on now that her voice has regained some strength and not clumps of dryness sitting in her throat.

“How many years have you played the piano?”

“Uh since I was like six, uh I don’t know. My parents started me up young.”

“So your good at it then, have you played recently.”

“A little bit but no I haven’t played recently though.”
He looks down at his abandoned food he left to sit and harden; he pushed his tray to the side moving it out of his way.

“I heard there’s a piano some where in this place, maybe you could play a song for me some time.”
She sees Clo in the distance behind Scott waving her hand motioning her to come to here where she sits alone. Amaryllis waves her hand for her to stop. Scott turns around seeing who was behind him she hits his hand to turn him around.

“Tonight at 8pm and don’t be late.”
She gets up walking to Clo, as the clerks open the doors to let them return back into there rooms.

Clo walks into the room before her sitting on the edge of her bed waiting for Amaryllis to shut the door. She smiles and leans into the back of the door.

“Oww girl you got a crush.”
Clo sings in a hum, Amaryllis tan Philippine skin blushes.

“Oh stop it Clo I so do not.”

“Gurl I see it in your face, you like Scott don’t you?”
Amaryllis looks into the mirror hanging from the back of the door trying to see a difference in her skin pushing up her cheeks and examine her eyes. She sighs and gives up the lie.

“I’m supposed to meet him in the piano room at 8pm tonight.”
Clorisha shakes her head and looks to her as if to say I told you so but nothing comes out her mouth and she just smiles.

“Gurl don’t you got enough, what about Taylor ain’t there something between ya’ll.”

“No were friends I’m sure he wouldn’t care.”
Clo throws her hands up surrendering.

“Hey well you know him better than I do I’m just telling you to be careful you might end up hurting him.”
Amaryllis looks at her with a slight hate that she even brought the thought of hurting Taylor. She would never hurt him they were only friends he was open to dating he just chose not to and he would never stop her from doing so either.

“You don’t get it me and Taylor are like brother and sisters we stick together no matter what, and nothings ever going to change between us.”

“All right now you be careful with those words, and how do you know “never” anything could happen.”

“Well I’ve been through to much to let him go there will have to be something disastrous to break us apart, but I’ve already been through it and he’s still by my side……..” Amaryllis head hangs low and tears form in her eyes. Clo reaches out to her and she sit in the space left open on her bed and she cuddles her.

“I’ve lost my mother my life and who knows where my dad is. I don’t know why it happen but it did no one has been there to dust me off when I fall off a bike or kiss my woes because I’ve never been hurt that way it’s all inside of me. Taylor says I’m an onion because you have to peel me back slowly, but sometimes I hurt others with no intention…. I just want help, I really do.”
Clo rocks her sitting between her thighs humming nursery hymns kissing her forehead as she cried softly to sleep.

- 7 -
Light pierces into my eyes and I shutter then with my arm I look down the narrow path in front of me. Then notice black cement walls surround me like an old cell, two shadows perfectly angled to make out the two masculine figures that are stripped of there clothing and only left with there under garments to show. I stranded my eyes to focus upon the weakened bodies trying to notify them.

“Who are you?”
I speak with authority and volume making sure they heard me clear. One of them rocked forward his head and his waist attached to a lose rope, his body hit back to the wall.

“Amaryllis?”
Atoms and blood rushed through my brain like an obstacle course; I listened closely to the voice that spoke out my name.

“Taylor …. Is that you?”
My cardio system rushed it felt as if I was about jump into the Grand Canyon or the empire state building I braced my self for the words he spoke out again.

“It’s Scott but Taylor’s right next to me…. I don’t know what’s going on Amaryllis.”
I could hear the trembling and fright in his voice as he spoke but to me this was normal I wasn’t afraid of this life anymore it became as a freedom and thrill.

“You going to be fine just…just stay calm Scott.”
My voice sounded soothing and adult like flowing out through my lips.

“Scott how’s Taylor is he still alive? Is he okay…”

“Yes I’m fine, if you wanted to find out why didn’t you just ask me?”
Weight of bricks landed on her foot but she just tossed them off not daring to look at the burse left for her, he had never used the sarcastic tone with her.

“How long have we been here do you know?”
I aimed my question towards Scott because Taylor would only answer in a rude sarcastic tone back to me. The hesitation in Scott voice was like a split wall he didn’t want to get on Taylor’s bad side but didn’t want to hurt me.

“I… I don’t know but it’s really hot in here.”

“It doesn’t matter and if ya’ll two would shut your mouths we could find away to get out.”

“Taylor what’s gotten into you were all on the same boat stuck and stranded.”

“Yeah well it’s not as worse as being stranded with…. With.”
My anger level rose about to hit the top.

“What, what go head and say it, you hate me don’t you because I’m …”
Taylor stopped his words from reaching his tongue.

“Don’t you even say it… get it out of your mouth? You don’t even know anything about us.”

“Boy’s just stop it just stop… okay were not going to get out of her unless we work together. …..” I paused giving them a chance to go on with there argument but they stopped. “Now the only way out is up.”
I looked up above my head noticing that I too was attached to a rope, wrapped around my waist and my neck like the both of them.

“And how are we going to do that both our neck and waist are tied together, if I untie my waist I’ll hang myself. And if I untie my neck I’ll be hung upside down.”
I untie slowly the rope against my waist.

“Ama what are you doing?”
I steadily try to not make as much movement to prepare myself.

“The only way ya’ll will get out is if I untie myself and let the weight go so that you both will rise up to the top.”

“What…what are you saying Ama, if you let go you’ll die.”
Scott interrupts.

“She’s saying we must be on a pulley system, right now were all at even weight
But if one of us falls then the remaining two will go up.”

“Ama you don’t know what your doing don’t even think about uniting your self.”
The sun shines at its brightest shining upon the tow hanging as I untie the rope around my waist. I close my eyes shut wishing it would all be over in a snap.

“I’m sorry guys, but hopefully nothing will go unchanged of my absences.”
I let go of the rope falling and feeling a inch of freedom then living to hear the gagging of my own breath as it’s sucked out of me, I could hold on to the rope pulling my self up but I choose not to. It’s only for the better so I struggle hopelessly and then hearing the snap of my neck. I’m gone.

Her head still lying on the bosom of Clo as she lay fast asleep drifting off of her own lullaby. Amaryllis moves slowly from underneath her arm and gently pats her and covers her with her blanket slipping out the room. She walks down the hallway tiptoeing every step to not catch attention to any nurses on duty. She doesn’t know if a piano really exists in this building if only she could figure it out, she looks around an unfamiliar corner looking to find an empty room filled with cobs and in the dark corner sits a piano. She looks both ways be for running down the hall but something grabs hold of her arm and pulls her into the dark room.

“Oh… oh my god you scared me.”
Amaryllis grabs her chest and laughs at the sight of Scott. He smiles and turns on the light in the well used room, piled with old equipment and beds worn out and gray. She looks around the room at the pile of old mattress and dirt green sofas.

“Wow I didn’t know a place like this existed.”
Scott nodded his head then walking over to the unused piano pulling up the squeaky bench to sit on.

“Yeah I bribed a nurse into telling me where this place was.”
She sits in the empty spot he leaves open.

“What did you pay?”

“Oh tomorrow’s meat loaf and chocolate cake…So what should I play for you, my memories not that good, I haven’t played in a year.”

“What about Pachebbel cannon or … just surprise me.”
His fingers arch them selves on the keyboard; he closes his eyes finding the seine in his body relaxing all muscles. His fingers rest and he settles on a key and after others follow. The music sounds victorious from the old spotted rustic keys; he plays the melody from memorization and heart as of years of dedication and talent. The melody brings a time of devastation and tender souls embracing life to it’s fullest like roots embedding themselves to the earth, not letting go through stormy weathers and high winds. It ends with a unfinished ending an absolute stop. She still has her eyes shut waiting and wanting the story to move on but it doesn’t. She opens her eyes to see him staring at her.

“How… How did you like it, I just did that from what I know but I could…”

“Shhh…”
She puts her finger to his lips and leans into him kissing his lips; they feel untouched and innocent but new in discovery when she feels his violated piercing looped through his lower lip. She backs off slowly opening her eyes.

“It was beautiful….thank you. I think I should leave now.”
She gets up from the bench walking away then turning around at the sound of his voice.

“I…uh if you’re interested in the Beatles CDs I can bring you the collection…I have them all.”
She smiles and nods her head, them both knowing that he chickened out to tell her what he really wanted to say. She carelessly walks out the room. Them both knowing they had a future together.