Th Asylum

Author's note: This is basically everything I think about at night turned into a creepy story.
Author's note: This is basically everything I think about at night turned into a creepy story.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Insanity and Insight

“No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.” – Aristotle
1
(Insanity and Insight)
An institution… I’m still not sure if this was the best idea for a work environment considering my personality, but I’ve always been drawn to its peculiarities.
In movies, geniuses are always German scientists who invent teleporters, or really classy and attractive girls who wear glasses and say fake chemical names.
I don’t know, but that doesn’t seem right.
I’ve thought about it a lot, and I think intellect is more of a variable than people seem to think.
It’s more of a state-of-mind or point-of-view than anything else.
An idea, under the right circumstances and being observed by the right people, can herald in a new age of advances and create gods among men; but say it at the wrong time and to the wrong people, you get scorned, hospitalized, imprisoned, killed by the fictional complacency of medications and consultations.
Some humans have been just slightly incorrectly wired, and they see the world differently, possibly correctly. The masses cannot tolerate their cries of the end, they’d rather drown in more comfortable… more familiar scenarios. Unless the strange mind’s new thing happens to benefit them without upheaving them, they stifle them, classify them, and categorize their problems.
The line between brilliance and madness is thin and wobbly at best.
I do not know if I am either, both, or neither...
But I have seen it. I do not fear it. I am beginning to understand what has driven many a man to death.
I see men walk the line every day. Dark and light, dark and light, back and forth like some cerebral tango. I’m drawn to it. They fascinate me. I cannot fathom them, but I try to sympathize and always listen. They know things: secrets, mysteries, horrors. They’ve changed me.
I, the councilor, have been changed by the inmates at this, the asylum.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 22 comments. Post your own now!

ShayleeMar said...
Amazing!

I love the way you write. I makes you think and wonder. I think that this would really confuse the kids in my philosophy class. Wow so deep and insightful it made me wonder whether the crazy are sane and the sane crazy and ignorant. I thouroghly enjoyed it.

DallysGrrl said...
I thought that this novel was really great! The interesting stand that your character makes and the position that he's been put into is something that I rarely see done well. Your descriptions were wonderfully engrossing and I loved that you created three unique but ultimately alike characters that influence your narrator so greatly. I was impressed! I hope that you can check out some of my work, especially my thriller stuff like Solitude and Secrets, Secrets are No Fun. Thanks and great job!

RhythmAndRhyme said...

This is utterly, absolutely, and without a doubt on this Earth the best, most powerful, most beautiful, and most insightful work I've read on this website.

It leaves one to wonder.

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Wow! Thank you! :D This is without a doubt, the most complimentary comment I've ever received... and I usually receive good feedback. :O

RhythmAndRhyme replied...

lol you're welcome! I've always loved this sort of thing (even though I'm not particularly sure how to describe exactly what "this sort of thing" is....). I've read many things vaguely similar to this, but this, by far, was the best. All of your stuff is amazing, to be honest.

I especially love Robinson the Clown (both the original and the rewrite).

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Which is funny, because that one was one of my least favorites... Thank you though, I love when people love my work. I also love when people don't love it, and honestly tell me why, but in an entirely different way.

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast said...
I really liked this. If you can check out my stuff that would be cool. REALLY loved it!

JustEmily said...
Just wondering: Is it supposed to be "The Asylum" and not "Th Asylum"?

IncorrectlyWired replied...
... Yes, I know. I noticed that as soon as it was too late. :/ That's the one thing I'd change about this site: you can't edit stuff once it's posted. Anyway, what did you think otherwise? :P

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 9:30 am
Wow. That was quite intriguing and really makes the reader think! I really don't have any criticisms! Awesome job. Keep up the good work :)

freeflow23 said...
This was an intriguing read. It's amazing how your mind works and how you managed to put it all on paper.

WritingSpasms said...
This is probably one of the most interesting novels I have read on here. Honestly, I have no criticisms. I love psycho thrillers. They creep the living daylights out of me, but I can never stop reading them. And I assure you that you've done a fantastic job of doing that. xD Well done!

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 10:44 am
Thank you! (And I know what you mean about the no criticisms thing) occasionally I'll read stories that are too good, or I'm just not thoughtful enough, so I can't think of any complaint.

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Even agreeing with CarrieAnn13 that the long dialogue made it a bit unrealistic, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I think you should keep it exactly the way it is, because your message is really interesting. Nobody does ever know if they're 'mad'--that's just a term for someone who thinks differently than everyone else. If there were a favorite button for a novel, I would totally make this a favorite. It was kind of poetic, in a way, and I absolutely loved your diction. It was perfect. You des... (more »)

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 10:39 am
Yeah... I meant that it's short for a chapter book. I wasnt' quite sure what to call it. It seemed slightly short even for a novella, but slightly too long for a short story. :/ Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Finchy said...

IncorrectlyWired

I enjoyed your story! Ever since I was old enough to read, I have enjoyed psychological thrillers. Getting to listen in on the thoughts of a man losing his mind is something that can only be experienced in fictionl, and you have done a swell job at representing it here. I thought this was a very dark, brooding novel and look forward to reading more of your work.

Cheers

Finchy

IncorrectlyWired replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 10:41 am
Thank you! It's always been something I was interested in, and honestly, (not quite to the same extent of course) the main character's thoughts are my thoughts. I pretty much wrote the first two chapters verbally at three in the morning. :D

CarrieAnn13 said...
This was a chilling book.  It's an interesting read and I really enjoyed it.  I know it's hard, but by making the dialogue a little bit shorter could also make it more realistic.  Other than that, good job!

IncorrectlyWired replied...
except that it's not really dialogue... it's more of a monologue. I did it intentionally, this story is about the point, not realism or even the "plot." Thank you for the imput, I hate when people just say "OMG! THIS IS SOOO GOOD! <3" Even if I disagree, you obviously thought about it.

Shadowrider replied...
This was beautiful, disturbing, and all to true! The way you write electrifies and makes you think. Utterly, Completely, Amazing!