Brothers, Until Death Do Us Part | Teen Ink

Brothers, Until Death Do Us Part

By Lunatech SILVER, lindsay, California
Lunatech SILVER, Lindsay, California

"Rise and Rise again until lambs become lions"

Author's note: I just started writing and it took me several re-writes to make this piece but i want to thank everyone who help me accomplish it...music is my only inspiration (: ..

. . . Out in the distance the sun is falling slowly below the horizon on a late April Monday afternoon. Owls are hooting the song of the spring going dark, people are walking along in that fresh, slightly windy, late afternoon sun, and everyone is enjoying the beautiful red-orange sky-lit sunset in the park. . .

. . . Two robust friends, Eric and Blake are walking in the park. Eric was Blake’s best friend since the third grade. Eric was about the same size in height as Blake. Blake and Eric had the same appearance: tan colored skin, not too tall, both of an adult age, both Latinos, and blackish-brownish hair. Eric was skin and bones but he was very muscular. Blake was a runner so he had strong calves. They were like twin brothers, and were always together no matter what. . .

“Ay Eric, should I go try to talk to that girl over there?” Blake said pointing at a lovely lady, minding her own business, sitting by herself on a beaten up bench next to a huge tree that looked like if it was trying to hug her, near a trash can.

“She looks cute and her green eyes stand out with her medium long dark black hair and with that dark blue silky dress she is wearing. But Blake, isn’t that your ex, Rose?”

“It looks like her but I don’t know and yeah she is cute. Either way I am still going to talk to her no matter who she is. You know we both made a pact, after Rose left to Great Britain, to see anyone, try to talk to anyone, and take anyone that crossed our paths, but the relationship cannot last for more than a month. Long relationships never work, don’t forget that dude,” Blake said not taking an eye off that gorgeous girl.

“Yeah, you’re right. Go for it bro.”

. . . Blake walked slowly showing the least bit of confidence, shoulders back and head slightly down, towards that girl determined to get all that he wanted from her. . .

“How is your day today?”

. . . . . .

“How is . . .”

“I heard you. You don’t have to repeat yourself,” she said firmly, looking down trying not to look in his eyes, to show she was serious.

“Sorry, I just thought . . . . . .”

“I know, I know. Sit,” she said with anger pulling him down on the bench. “What do you want from me? What of me interests you, because I don’t like playing games?”

“I just wanted to . . . . . .”

“I know . . . You want my name, then my number, and you will probably just end up using me. No thanks! Bye.”

Blake just stood there not being able to believe with what he had just heard.

“You can leave now,” that girl said shooing him away without a sound of regret.

Blake walked back where Eric was, with a blank stare, still not being able to believe that a girl could reject him that easily.

“Dang bro that was harsh,” Blake said with a stare that made it seem like if he was not all there.

“Are you all here or are you still in LaLa Land?” Eric said waving his hand in front of Blake’s face.

. . . . . . .

“Hello. . .Eric to Blake, Eric to Blake, krrrr, you read me?” Eric said trying to be funny and get Blake back into the real world.

“Oh yeah, yeah I’m here now,” Blake said not realizing he had been daydreaming.

“So what happened, Blake?? You seemed shocked.”

“All I wanted was her name and she acted like if I was going to take advantage of her or something, but I am starting to think that that could have been Rose, my ex; especially since she implied that I was going to rape her or something. Unless girls know me, they will know what I want them for.”

“That’s true dude, but if it was your ex then she definitely knew you were going to take advantage of her. Didn’t you just remind me about our pact? You can’t forget that quickly?” Eric said with a little chuckle.

“True and yeah I did. But after all this, I don’t think I am ever doing that again in a while.”

“We’ll see how long that lasts,” Eric said dying of laughter.

. . . There’s a full moon outside in that dark black night; the two best friends are just waiting in Blake’s house, sitting on brown leather couches, watching T.V. just letting life pass by like a bullet, expecting nothing to come or go. . .

“Soooooooooo, what are we doing tonight DJ Master Blake?” Eric asked with enthusiasm.

Blake responds without question, “We are partying of course! We should roll out before we get to the club all late.”

<>

. . . Flashing lights quickly moving to the beat, a dark room full of thousands of people moving to the beat of the sound, a sound of techno and rave music that makes people dance . . . ravers in and out of that dark room full of sound. . . Boom, cht, boom, cht, goes the sound that sounds like a stomp, clap, stomp, clap. . .

“How’s everybody!!! DJ Master Blake is in the house!”

“Yeah!!!” screamed the crowd.

After the long rave Blake went to a table with his best friend Eric, who was sitting with his arms around a bunch of young attractive adolescents, in the club.

“That was awesome Blake!”

“Thanks bro. I expected it to be way better but that’s better than . . .”

. . . . . .

“Blake you alright? You just froze out of nowhere.”

. . . . . .

“Blake?”

“Dude, am I going crazy or did I just see that girl we saw at the park yesterday afternoon?”

“Where?”

“Dude over there,” he said pointing at the nothingness in front of him.

“Bro, you sure you saw her?”

“Yeah I . . . Never mind I’ll just pretend I saw nothing.”

“That’s what I like to hear from my champ d. j.”

“Well I’m going to head out before I get any crazier.”

“Yeah, well I’ll just stay here a little longer and help these girls have some fun,” Eric said while leading the girls to the dance floor.

<>

. . . Alone back at home Blake thinks back on that crazy day and Friday evening, while looking in the mirror and washing his face. . .

Looking in the mirror he thinks; why do I keep seeing her? Am I going crazy or is she following me? This is starting to get serious but there’s nothing I can do if not even my best friend believes me. I’ll just head for the blankets and hope I can go to sleep before I start hallucinating again.

“Hello,” someone said loudly.
Blake terrified looked around spilling water, of his wet face, on the ground. “Who’s there!? I have a gun and I’m not afraid to use it! Come out before I sound the alarm and the make the police come in a rush.”

“Hello,” said the elongated voice again.

Blake turned the light on quickly and found no one there. He was terrified because he could swear he had just seen somebody. He thought about checking himself out with a physiatrist straight in the morning. He began to think that maybe that girl in the park was his ex, and that maybe she was trying to get revenge on him after what he had done to her. He thought to himself, but how did Eric see her at the park?

. . . Eric is asleep from the long day on his comfy bed and his cell phone rings. . .

. . .ring . . .ring . . .ring . . .

“Hey, Eric.”

“Yeah, what’s up?”

“I think I’m going crazy.”

“Dude everyone knows you’re crazy. That’s why your music is everywhere and there is not anyone that does not listen to your music. You know that dude.”

“Dude! This is serious and I’m losing it. Come by my house quick, bro.”

“Alright, I’ll head over there and see what’s up.”

<>

. . .Alone in the early morning darkness, Blake is constantly tossing and turning in his bed. . .

“Hello,” said a voice again.

“Come out now!” Blake screamed terrified, while picking up a bat near his bed.

“Hello . . .”

“What!?!”

“Hello . . .”

“What do you want from me?? I have nothing you want,” Blake said while swinging the bat at everything. “If it’s you Rose, just come out I am not afraid of you. You shot yourself, I didn’t make do it! All I did was talk to you and you did it! Even if I stabbed you to make sure you were dead after you shot yourself, does not mean I made you shoot yourself. Now no one will know because I buried you in my back yard and you will stay there forever! Everyone thinks you just left me and went to live in Great Britain but it isn’t so great, now is it! What matters now is that no one will ever discover you’re dead because I am still alive!”

. . .thonk thonk thonk thonk thonk thonk . . .

“What?!?” Blake said screaming at the door.

“It’s Eric, bro.”

“Come . . . in . . . the door . . . is open,” Blake said hesitantly trying to catch his breath.

“I came to . . . . .” Eric paused while seeing the mess Blake had done. “What in the heck happened here Blake?”

“I’m scared bro. I don’t know what to do anymore,” Blake said breathing heavily. “I need your help but quick before I end up jumping out of my window.”

“Okay, okay bro. Just chill before you do something you’ll regret,” Eric said putting his hands on Blake’s shoulders.

“Please bro!” Blake said pushing Eric away.

“What do you want me to do?”

“Just help me,” he said with tears rolling down his face. “She’s over there!”

“Who is?!”

“Her . . . Don’t you see her??” Blake said pointing at the window behind Eric.

Eric turned around quickly but he didn’t see anything or anyone.

“Dude you need help. I want to help you.”

“That’s exactly what I told her . . .”

“Who, Blake?!?” Eric asked with a thought that Blake could possibly be going crazy.

“Just leave! Now!”

“Okay, okay fine. You don’t need to say it twice.”

“No not you. I was talking to her!”

“Who, Blake??? Dude, I’ll just give you some alone time so you can think.” Eric said heading for the door.

“No! Please don’t bro. I have had too much time to think and . . . That’s enough . . . Don’t leave or I’ll,” he said pulling out a gun and putting it on his head, “kill myself right now!”

“NO Blake! Think about what you’re doing,” Eric said with his hands on his head not being able to believe what was happening.

“I’m going to do it and you know I will,” Blake said with look on his face that made him look like he was insane. “She’s right there next to you. Talk to her!”

“Okay, okay just put the gun down. Put the gun down . . . Now!”

“Talk to her Eric!!”

“Blake, just put it . . .”

. . . . . . pllllllssshh . . . . . .
“Noooo! Why Blake?? Why!!”

“I guess you’re dead now, now aren’t you?” said a voice directly at the Blake lying on the ground without a heartbeat.

“Who’s there?? What do you want,” said Eric.

“It’s me, Rose.”

(Flashback)

. . . It is a bright, full moon, October Wednesday late night. . . Eric opens the door and Blake walks in. . . .

“So how’d it go with Rose, Blake?” Eric said expecting it to have gone great.

“It didn’t go so good,” Blake said with his head down looking like if he was about to cry. “She’s beginning to act different.”

“What do you mean bro?”

“She just isn’t the same. Before she would love to be with me and she always made our days out even more special. Now, it seems like she can’t wait to get away from me,” Blake said taking a long pause and looking outside the open window in front of him trying not to think about what could be true. “Like today, I took her to the city fair and I took her on every ride. On every ride, she did not seem to be there like if her body was there but her mind was somewhere else. It made me think twice about our relationship and I don’t know if I want to be with her anymore, especially if I don’t make her happy anymore.”

“Are you sure Blake?” Eric questioned with a blank stare of confusion. “You two have like three years together and I don’t think you should start implying things now because it will make the problem worse and you know that bro.”

“You’re right, but what can I do Eric? You are the closest I have to a brother and pretty much the only family I have. I am glad I can confide in you, but the one thing that scares me the most is the thought of not having her by my side anymore. I just don’t see a future in the road ahead if it is not with her dude. I didn’t tell you, but I was planning on asking her to marry me soon. This situation made me think twice but I’m just scared,” Blake said while leaning on the windowsill, putting his head out the window. “I just don’t want to let her go bro.”

“I don’t know what to say bro. The one thing I do know is that you should talk to her Blake.”

“I will dude but tonight I’m just going to rent a room in a nearby hotel and sleep alone. I feel uncomfortable with her. Don’t tell her though, I’ll explain to her in the morning,” Blake said while closing the window and heading for the door.

“Alright bro. Good night dude and try to get some sleep.”

<>

. . . Eric appears on the window. . .

“Hello lovely lady.”

“What are you doing here Eric?? You know you can’t be here unless I call you,” Rose said looking around making sure nobody was listening.

“Yeah, I know Rose, but Blake won’t be here tonight.”

“How do you know?” Rose said crossing her arms around her chest.

“I’m like a brother to Blake, remember? He tells me everything.”

“Doesn’t seem like you tell him everything,” Rose said chuckling.

“I wouldn’t be saying that if I were you because you’re exactly the same.”

“Oh, shut up.”

“That’s right,” Eric said while planting a kiss on Rose’s lovely pink colored lips.

They both enjoyed the night but the night didn’t last too long for Eric.

“What’s wrong my love?” Rose said caressing Eric’s cheek.

“Nothing . . .”Eric hesitated while moving Rose’s hand away.

“Tell me Eric.”

“It’s just . . . Blake made me think twice like he always does and well . . .”

. . . . . .

“What Eric? Are you starting to think twice about us?!?” Rose said with anger looking at Eric directly into his eyes.

“Yeah, I kind of am and I am terribly sorry Rose but this will have to be our last night together.”

“What!?” she said pushing him off the bed. “This is not going to happen, either you stay with me or I will tell Blake everything!”

“Okay, okay just calm down,” Eric said getting up from the floor. “I won’t leave you, don’t worry.”

“Don’t tell me to calm down! I calm down when I want to calm down!”

“Okay, fine but chill and I will see you tomorrow because it is already morning and Blake can’t find me here.”

“Fine, bye,” Rose said not even looking at him.

. . . Blake is sound asleep in the bed in the hotel and his cell phone rings. . .

. . . ring . . . ring . . ring . . .

“Hello?”

“Ay Blake.”

“Yeah, what’s up Eric?”

“I’m going to head over to the hotel because I need to talk to you. It’s a very serious matter.”

“Alright bro but what’s it about?”

“I’ll tell you over there. See you in a bit.”

“Alright, bye.”

Blake looked at the time and saw it was late in the afternoon. He began to think and he remembered that he needed to go home. Rose might be worried, he thought to himself. I’ll just get Eric’s situation taken care of and then I’ll head over there. Sounds like a good plan.

. . .thonk thonk thonk thonk thonk . . .

“Hey, what’s up Eric?” Blake said opening the door.

“Dude, I don’t want to break your dreams but I passed your house while I was heading over here to check on you and I saw a car parked on your drive way.”

“Are you sure?!”

“I’m positive, unless I’m going blind or hallucinating but that’s what I saw.”

“Thanks bro, now I know what’s going on. I’m glad you came now because I was seriously thinking about asking Rose to marry me today but I know what I have to do now,” Blake said throwing the ring he had bought for Rose on the floor.

Blake rushed towards his car and went home without thinking twice about what he was doing. He left Eric alone in the hotel room. Eric thought while staring at the ring on the floor, I am sorry bro but if I want to get out of the mess I got into I must get rid of her.

<>

. . . ERRRRRR went Blake’s tires once he got on his driveway. . .

. . . THONK . . . THONK . . . THONK . . .

“I’m coming, I’m coming calm down!” Rose said screaming at whoever was banging on the door.

“Hi babe I’m glad you’re . . .”

“Quit playing games and tell me what’s going on,” Blake interrupted looking infuriated.

“What?” Rose asked being shocked with how Blake was acting.

“Don’t what me! You know what I’m talking about! Eric told me he just passed through here and he saw a car parked on our driveway. You want to explain to me who this someone is?!?” Blake screamed with an anger that scared Rose’s words away.

“Ummm . . . ummm . . .”

That betrayer will pay for this even if it’s the last thing I do. I swear by my grave he will pay, Rose told herself.

“I’m waiting . . .” Blake said with his arms crossed on his chest looking at Rose directly in the eyes waiting impatiently for an answer.

“That’s it!” Rose said with an anger that surprised Blake. “I’m done being with you and done with everything! I don’t know why I was still with you when I knew for a fact our love left two years ago. I think I just felt sorry for you. That’s probably why I stayed with you for so long but I’m done now!”

“How can you say this?? Don’t you love me babe?” he said with tears rolling down his face.

“Did you not listen to anything I just said?!? See! That’s why I don’t love you because you never listen to what I want. It’s always you, you, and you. Always you! But that ends today!”

“Why? Why? Why??” Blake questioned with anger.

“Because . . .”

“You know what!?” Blake interrupted. “I’m done too and this time we’re both going down!”
“What do you mean Blake?” Rose said sounding scared.

“This is what I mean,” Blake said pulling out a gun.

“Blake, please. Do you know what you’re doing?? I’m sorry just stop please,” Rose said so terrified she began to cry. “I’m sorry babe, just stop please.”

“It’s too late . . . It’s too late . . . It’s too late,” Blake kept repeating.

“It’s too late for what Blake??” Rose said with a great fear.

“It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“What doesn’t . . .”

“It doesn’t matter!” he screamed pointing the gun at Rose.

Eric left the hotel, leaving the ring behind, and went to Blake’s house. Once Eric got to Blake’s house, he was about to call Blake but he heard a commotion going on inside of Blake’s house. He looked around the entire outside of the house to find a way to see what was going on inside. He found an open window and saw that Blake was pointing a gun at Rose. What in the world? I wanted to get rid of Rose but this is just too good, Eric thought to himself. He sprinted back to his car to get his pistol, with a silencer on it. When he went back to the window he saw Rose had the gun but Blake was on her holding her hand, with the gun, next to her head. This is my one chance to shoot but I have to time it.

“Stop Blake please, you’re hurting me,” Rose said crying with fear of what could happen if Blake pulled the trigger.

“I’m sorry Rose but were done,” Blake said while putting his head next to Rose’s so the bullet could kill both of them in one shot.

“No! That’s it! I’m done with your games!!” Rose exclaimed with a fury that made her take the gun from Blake while trying to crawl away.

Blake leapt at her and . . .

. . . . . . pllllllllsshh . . . . . .

“What have I done . . . What have I done!!” Blake screamed. “I’m sorry babe. I’m sorry but this is the only solution! You’ll be in a better place now,” Blake said while crying over Rose lying on the floor gushing out blood out of her mouth.

Blake got a knife and began stabbing Rose with an anger that made him completely kill her.

“What do you want Rose?? You got what you wanted now leave!”

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

I guess she’s gone now. I got rid of her bro but it ended you too. I guess you two were meant for each other. When I shot her through that window, it devastated you because you thought you had killed her but what you actually did was shoot my arm. That afternoon I left and didn’t see you for months because I didn’t want you to ask about my arm. That is when you started your d.j. dream and became the best at it. I should’ve told you when I had the chance but it’s too late now. Eric gave his final prayer and hoped that he will see Blake again and his be soul be forgiven.
He took Blake’s gun and screamed, “I’m sorry Blake!!”

. . . . . . plllllllllllssshh . . . . . .