In Between

Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward to writing more novels in the future.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23 Next »

Michelle

I am running.
The rain rushes down from the heavens. It falls through the pitch black sky, which is lightened only by the occasional bursts of lightning.
I am lost.
I am not sure how long I have been running, but I do know that it has been much longer than a little while. However, I am not tired, not the least bit weary. I could run for miles and miles and not sweat a drop.
I pass houses, and the warm light which passes through their windows. I see a figure reading the paper on a living room couch. I pass more houses. I see another silhouette standing in front of a window, most likely commenting on the severity of the storm.
I keep running.
The rows of houses stop and soon office buildings tower over me. I have been running for hours and hours just to end up downtown. I slow to a stop and take comfort in the fact that at least this place is somewhat similar.
Walking down the lonely sidewalk, I come across a fountain; the water has been turned off.
“Michelle and Sam, stand over by that fountain so we can take a picture!” Mom exclaims.
Sam and I roll our eyes at each other and remind ourselves never to suggest coming downtown again.
“Smile!” Mom chimes, bringing her ancient, chunky camera up to her face.
I force a quick grin until I see the flash of the camera.
“C’mon guys, be more enthusiastic. Days like this, spending time with my favorite family members, always remind me how good it is to be alive!” Dad says.
Yea, it was great to be alive.
I continue walking.
As I step in puddles, water droplets drench my already soaking wet shins. Ahead I see a figure, hunched over on a bench, seeming desperate to keep warm.
I walk a little faster.
The figure is a man who is about in his forties. He is without an umbrella, just a brown hat to cover his head. His eyes are glued on the road, looking down it as far as his eyes can reach.
“Excuse me,” I say, “Can you help me?”
My words do not break the man’s gaze.
“I need directions.” I say again.
Still, the man does not look up.
“Hello? Can you hear me?” I ask, desperate for a response that will not come.
The man looks up, except not at me. Two beams of lights shine down an empty street and a bus pulls up in front of the bench. The man stands up, walks right through me, and disappears onto the bus.
I am alone again.

Amina157 said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 am:
This story is great, had me on the edge of my seat, i would love to read more, i think you could write from other people's point of views and make a saga :)

Freckles3 said...
Wow, I only just read the first chapter... It's really good! Yeah, it's a horrifying, terrible, monsterous, horrific, sad, gory, disgusting, and murderous idea... You did a really good job on this. The writing is superb, and I'm hooked. It's only the first chapter!

Laxgrl818 said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:57 am:
I read the prologue, and it seems really really good. I want to keep reading it, but everytime I go to click on the next page, it goes back to the summary. Does anyone know how I could keep reading it?

xprincessrocker said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm:

this is a really goooooooooooooood 

book i new and would like a few tips

because i am writing my first thriller story.

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:55 am:
i really liked it...i'd love if you'd try my book too...

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:34 am:
I. Love. This. Book!!!!! :D

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:24 am:

"reminds me of when Dad would take me out for ice cream, just the two of us. We would watch the cars. I would count the blue. He would count the silver."

Aww, That reminds me of the movie "Up" :)

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:46 am:
This story is really really good, but I'm a little confused... Michelle and Sam are brother and sister? And Michelle murdered Sam, but then Sam is alive and Michelle isn't coming home?? Whaatttt? -_-

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
I'm assuming that you are referring to the prologue. The narrator of that is actually Hope, and it's the story of when she murdered her own brother. I wrote it to describe the mental illness she had which led her to kill Michelle.

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
Yeah, haha thanks for telling me. I had found out already though, I finished the whole story (: It was really good, I liked it a lot (:

Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:06 am :
Aww thank you (:

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm :
You are welcome (:

Emily.L said...
I only read the first 6 chapters so far, but I know I'll be finishing the novel! I don't understand how you even write entire thing and still make it good XD

KylaM said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm:
about how long did it take for you to write this? and how many pages was it writen out? to be honest, this was one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read! and u said that it was one of your first stories! i am also a writer, but i know that i prob couldnt top this. this story is amazing, keep up the great work!

Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm :
About a year I believe. I'm not sure how many pages I wrote this a while ago. But thanks!

KylaM replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:07 am :
your so talented!

Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:50 am :
Awhh thank you! That means a lot to me(:

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
Love the story! Great twist. Didn't expect that at all.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm:
I swear, I'm going to start crying. The prologue is making me tear up! I have a younger brother about 7 years old with blonde hair and blue eyes...I kept imagining him as the brother in the story. It scares me so much.

Odessa_Sterling00 said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
Good Job.  Hope you get this on most discussed.  :DD