In Between

Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward to writing more novels in the future.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next »

Sam

The birthmark on my right wrist tingles. Michelle had a birthmark just like mine too on her right wrist.
“See this birthmark, Sam?” she says, “I have it too. Do you know what that means?”
“What?” I ask.
“It means that we are special.”
I never understood what she meant by special, but I had always liked the sound of it. And of course, I wrote about it.
I, too, am special,
Though the world looks down on me,
I will show them,
Just wait, one day they will see
“How do you feel?” he asks.
“Better.” I lie, but really every movement I make kills me.
“My name is David,” the stranger says, “I was really good friends with your sister. I do not know if she ever mentioned me, but Hope Randall, Michelle and I were always hanging out. But every time I hung out with her, every time she would enter the classroom, I got this feeling. I did not know what it meant, but it gave me goose bumps. Now I realize that I had predicted her murder.”
“How did you know I was her brother?”
“The entire school knows about it. News spreads dangerously fast, Sam, and they all know who you are. When I saw you, I just knew that you were different. And I just had to ask you. Because maybe,” he pauses.
“Maybe what?” I ask.
“I am hoping we can figure out who murdered her. Because the eerie feelings just will not go away. Sometimes I wonder if that eerie feeling means something.”
“You mean, you think whoever murdered my sister is still around?”
“Honestly, I don’t know. But this feeling, it is the same feeling I got when I was with Michelle. I can’t just ignore it. Maybe someone else is in danger.”
My wrist tingles once more, this time more urgent, and my attention wanders to two birds sitting in a tree.
The baby bird sits on the edge of a branch, ready to leap into the air. The bird in the nest, which looks kind of like a raven, calls out to the baby, but the baby does return to its mother. Instead, it jumps, but is not ready to fly. Instead it falls down to the merciless ground below.
“Sam?”
I blink and the two birds disappear from my vision, and I am staring blankly at a barren branch.
“What are you looking at?” David asks.
“Nothing.” I reply.
My typical response to an event like this. I had stopped getting freaked out by it a long time ago.
“Are you sure?” David asks.
I nod.
“Listen,” I say, “If I do not go back home soon I am sure that my parents will go paranoid. They have already lost one child who did not…”
I couldn’t finish my sentence. David looks like he is about to cry, too.
As I walk home, I swear I can hear the baby bird. It is still there, for now at least, and it gives me hope.

Amina157 said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 am:
This story is great, had me on the edge of my seat, i would love to read more, i think you could write from other people's point of views and make a saga :)

Freckles3 said...
Wow, I only just read the first chapter... It's really good! Yeah, it's a horrifying, terrible, monsterous, horrific, sad, gory, disgusting, and murderous idea... You did a really good job on this. The writing is superb, and I'm hooked. It's only the first chapter!

Laxgrl818 said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:57 am:
I read the prologue, and it seems really really good. I want to keep reading it, but everytime I go to click on the next page, it goes back to the summary. Does anyone know how I could keep reading it?

xprincessrocker said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm:

this is a really goooooooooooooood 

book i new and would like a few tips

because i am writing my first thriller story.

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:55 am:
i really liked it...i'd love if you'd try my book too...

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:34 am:
I. Love. This. Book!!!!! :D

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:24 am:

"reminds me of when Dad would take me out for ice cream, just the two of us. We would watch the cars. I would count the blue. He would count the silver."

Aww, That reminds me of the movie "Up" :)

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:46 am:
This story is really really good, but I'm a little confused... Michelle and Sam are brother and sister? And Michelle murdered Sam, but then Sam is alive and Michelle isn't coming home?? Whaatttt? -_-

.Izzy. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
I'm assuming that you are referring to the prologue. The narrator of that is actually Hope, and it's the story of when she murdered her own brother. I wrote it to describe the mental illness she had which led her to kill Michelle.

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
Yeah, haha thanks for telling me. I had found out already though, I finished the whole story (: It was really good, I liked it a lot (:

.Izzy. replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:06 am :
Aww thank you (:

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm :
You are welcome (:

Emily.L said...
I only read the first 6 chapters so far, but I know I'll be finishing the novel! I don't understand how you even write entire thing and still make it good XD

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm:
about how long did it take for you to write this? and how many pages was it writen out? to be honest, this was one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read! and u said that it was one of your first stories! i am also a writer, but i know that i prob couldnt top this. this story is amazing, keep up the great work!

.Izzy. replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm :
About a year I believe. I'm not sure how many pages I wrote this a while ago. But thanks!

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:07 am :
your so talented!

.Izzy. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:50 am :
Awhh thank you! That means a lot to me(:

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
Love the story! Great twist. Didn't expect that at all.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm:
I swear, I'm going to start crying. The prologue is making me tear up! I have a younger brother about 7 years old with blonde hair and blue eyes...I kept imagining him as the brother in the story. It scares me so much.

Odessa_Sterling00 said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
Good Job.  Hope you get this on most discussed.  :DD