In Between

Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward to writing more novels in the future.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next »

Michelle

I stand at the edge of the cliff, peering down below. Out of all of the things here, this place always appears before me the easiest. Below me, I am watching Sam walk home from school. I miss walking home with him. I miss my brother.
Then, I see some boys walking behind him. One of them is Luke, a boy who thought it would be funny to lift up my skirt in the middle of class when we were both kindergarteners. The rest of the boys I recognize from my neighborhood, but they all had seemed like idiots to me so I did not bother to learn their names when I was on Earth. But somehow I know that one of the boy’s names is Patrick, and the scrawny looking one is Victor.
My hands clench into fists as I watch Luke knock Sam off of his feet.
“Come on, Sam,” I whisper, urging him on, “Defend yourself.”
I cannot help but gasp when I see Luke bring a knife to Sam’s throat. If he had made the tiniest cut against my baby brother’s skin, I would do anything to get revenge.
But how could I get revenge? I was not even on Earth.
“I know what you are thinking. Take my advice: Whatever you do, do not do it.” Raven appears behind me.
“They are hurting my brother! They are hurting Sam!” I cry.
“Those who jump, they do not normally come back. Once you go, it is nearly impossible to find peace, and if you cannot find peace, you cannot return. Earth can be such a horrid place. Do not get stuck there, wandering in the In Between for eternity. Stay here, one day your brother will be here too.”
I watch as Luke runs the knife down Sam’s face and I cannot stand the fact that I am watching helplessly from above.
“How can I have peace if my brother gets hurt?” I cry, and without waiting for a response, I jump.

I am falling, head first, down and down towards the Earth below. I can no longer see my brother, as I speed closer and closer the ground blurs together. I do not get that butterfly feeling that I used to get when I rode down really steep hills on roller coasters, however I seem to be falling gracefully, as if I am a bird swooping down from the mighty treetops.
I begin to lose control and do a somersault in the air. And then another. Yet I do not feel sick, I guess spirits cannot become queasy. Then I regain control and continue to fall, my arms out in front of me as if I am flying.
By now I am falling at such a great speed that I start to realize that I might die when I hit the ground. But spirits are already dead, I remember, and I hope that the impact does not hurt a great deal. The air is rushing quickly around me, and I cannot help but squeeze my eyes shut.
I am falling.

I land gently on cement, as if I was slowly set down instead of falling from a great height. It is dark, and I realize that I am in somebody’s basement. I look at the roof above me and I see no hole where I fell through. The basement has an eerie familiarity, as if I had been here before.
I stand up, brushing off the dust that blankets the floor. Spider webs decorate the walls as if no one had bothered to clean this place in a very long time.
I come across a light, which is shining from underneath a door. The light shines over a long staircase which leads to the top. The stair creaks loudly as I set my foot on it. Slowly, I climb them, one by one, until I am facing the door, but when I reach for the knob, I realize that I am locked down here.
But I am not alone. I hear a young boy softly crying.
“Hello?” I call out, “Who’s there?”
No answer. The quiet crying does not cease.
I return into the darkness down below.
“Hello?” I call out again, this time more timidly.
I see a shadow of a small boy, hugging his knees. He, too, looks familiar, and I am sure that I would know him if I could just see his face.
“Are you okay?” I ask.
The boy slowly turns around, revealing a blackened face. Blackened from burning. He raises one of his burned arms and points at me.
“I loved my murderer. I loved my murderer.” He repeats, over and over, staring at me with sad eyes.
I hear a loud creaking noise, the sound of door opening, and then a footstep. And then another. A series of footsteps make their way down the stairs with a very slow rhythm.
The boy’s voice turns shriller, and now he is shrieking those four words.
“I loved my murderer.”
A dark silhouette faces me, hidden by the shadows. The boy goes quiet and I watch him crumble into ashes.
I stare at the dark figure, my legs feeling like large blocks of lead. I want to say something, but when I try to talk no words leave my mouth.
The figure gestures towards where the boy once stood. On top of the ashes, there is a body lying face down.
I drag my feet towards the corpse, but they grow heavier and heavier with each step. Finally, I kneel down and turn the body over.
I stare down at myself, my body. I look at my face, pale and cool to the touch. My eyes are gouged out, and blood streams down from where they once were like tear tracks.
“Once the life left them, there was no use for them.” I can feel my murder’s breath against the back of my neck.
I begin to scream.

Nikiblue said...
I only read the first four chapters, but I feel like this story has a lot of potential, and I liked it so far. Although as PJD17 said, it could use a bit more description, just so the reader can really visualize everything clearly. Otherwise, keep up the good work (:

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:16 am :
Thanks! I hope you enjoy the rest of it

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i have read the first eight chapters so far, and i will try to read more if i get the chance, but let me tell you what i think so far   the storty starts off well  the first couple of lines really draw the reader in  the prologue is interesting and certainly made me want to continue reading, but i did have a little bit of a problem with how it was written  i thought that the prologue came off as a little choppy  im afraid i cant really come up with a specific exampl... (more »)

Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:16 am :
Thanks for the feedback, it was really helpful. I'll try to get around to editing it but right now I am busy working on another novel

lucybrown97 said...

Wow, this is amazing!  I normally don’t like stories like this, but I just had to keep reading, I was so excited to figure out more about the characters.  The emotion was so strong in some places that I felt like I was about to cry, especially in the Prologue when Hope kills her brother, and Chapter 12 when Michelle visits her parents and Sam.  The plot is really good too; it kept me guessing- I was sure that Luke was the murderer for a while, and then Chapter 17 made me ... (more »)

Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:14 am :
I'm glad you liked it! I spent a really long time writing this and I am happy how it turned out