New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

In Between

Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is one of my first novels I have written. I really enjoyed writing it and am looking forward to writing more novels in the future.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23 Next »

Sam

Dry leaves crunch under my shoe as I walk home through the woods from school. Normally, I use the peacefulness of the walk to think of ideas my writing, but there seems to be an eerie feeling in the atmosphere. I cannot help but quicken my pace a little bit.
I hear more leaves crunching behind me. I jump, but turn around to see a couple of boys a year older than me from my neighborhood.
“Hey, faggot!” one of them calls out.
It is Luke, a boy whose face, which I have never seen without a mean sneer, is covered with acne. It seems as if the only thing in his wardrobe is skinny jeans and dark hoodies.
I pretend not to hear them and keep walking forward, my eyes glued to one of the trees in front of me. I dare not look back twice.
I feel a tug on the hood of my sweatshirt and I am pulled back. Losing balance, I begin to fall, my arms waving back and forth in a useless attempt to break my fall. I wince as I land on a pointy twig that is poking out from under the dirt. My notebook, which I was hugging to my chest, has fallen in front of me.
Come on Sam, defend yourself.
How can I defend myself? All of these boys were a lot stronger than me, and there was no one to help me. I was hopeless.
“Oh, look! It’s Sam’s poetry!” Luke snickers, picking up the notebook faster than my hands can reach for it.
“Hey, give that back!” I yell.
I try to stand up, but one of the boys kicks me so hard in the ribs that I could have sworn I heard a crack. I cry out in pain, and curl up into the fetal position under the boy’s foot.
“Maybe if we make Sam cry, he will write a poem about us!” One of the boys says, but I am in too much pain to figure out who it was.
He kicks the notebook, some of the pages flying out. One of the papers slowly lands in front of me. Written on it was one of my poems I wrote in between classes.
I am on the run from misery,
But there is no where to hide
“I wonder.” Luke agrees.
Out of the corner of my eye, I see Luke pull out a pocket knife. He gently runs the blade down the side of my face, pausing at my throat.
“If I make you cry, will you run home and write a poem about us? Show it to your mommy?”
When I do not answer, he kicks me in the same spot the other guy had kicked me. It takes everything to stop myself from screaming.
“Answer me, fag.” he yells, the knife pressing a little harder against the skin of my neck.
I close my eyes tight, not wanting to see my own blood being drawn. I wonder if Luke had an intention of killing me, like someone killed Michelle. For a brief second, I wonder if maybe Luke was the murderer, but I do not have too much time to dwell on the subject. Suddenly, the knife is thrown on the ground, and I hear Luke swear as he is shoved away from me.
“Leave him alone!” I hear another boy, his voice sounding dangerous.
I open my eyes. Luke is now too on the ground, blood gushing from his nose.
The boy picks up the knife that has fallen from Luke’s hand.
“Get out of here. Unless one of you wants to get seriously hurt.”
After Luke and his friends were a distance away, the boy tries to help me sit up. I whimper a little, so he lays me back down again.
“How badly did they hurt you?” he asks.
“Bad.” I mutter.
“Look, I have been meaning to talk to you. I was friends with your sister, Michelle.”
I want to answer, but it hurts to even breathe.
“I think you are like me. Can you,” he pauses to find the right words, “See or hear things no one else can?”
I look at him confused. A secret that has not once left my lips, not even in my writing, is known by a complete stranger.

Amina157This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 am:
This story is great, had me on the edge of my seat, i would love to read more, i think you could write from other people's point of views and make a saga :)

Freckles3This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I only just read the first chapter... It's really good! Yeah, it's a horrifying, terrible, monsterous, horrific, sad, gory, disgusting, and murderous idea... You did a really good job on this. The writing is superb, and I'm hooked. It's only the first chapter!

Laxgrl818 said...
Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:57 am:
I read the prologue, and it seems really really good. I want to keep reading it, but everytime I go to click on the next page, it goes back to the summary. Does anyone know how I could keep reading it?

xprincessrockerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm:

this is a really goooooooooooooood 

book i new and would like a few tips

because i am writing my first thriller story.

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 3:55 am:
i really liked it...i'd love if you'd try my book too...

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:34 am:
I. Love. This. Book!!!!! :D

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 30, 2011 at 9:24 am:

"reminds me of when Dad would take me out for ice cream, just the two of us. We would watch the cars. I would count the blue. He would count the silver."

Aww, That reminds me of the movie "Up" :)

DannehBoi said...
Oct. 23, 2011 at 10:46 am:
This story is really really good, but I'm a little confused... Michelle and Sam are brother and sister? And Michelle murdered Sam, but then Sam is alive and Michelle isn't coming home?? Whaatttt? -_-

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm :
I'm assuming that you are referring to the prologue. The narrator of that is actually Hope, and it's the story of when she murdered her own brother. I wrote it to describe the mental illness she had which led her to kill Michelle.

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm :
Yeah, haha thanks for telling me. I had found out already though, I finished the whole story (: It was really good, I liked it a lot (:

Nov. 12, 2011 at 10:06 am :
Aww thank you (:

DannehBoi replied...
Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:28 pm :
You are welcome (:

Emily.L said...
I only read the first 6 chapters so far, but I know I'll be finishing the novel! I don't understand how you even write entire thing and still make it good XD

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm:
about how long did it take for you to write this? and how many pages was it writen out? to be honest, this was one of the most inspiring stories i have ever read! and u said that it was one of your first stories! i am also a writer, but i know that i prob couldnt top this. this story is amazing, keep up the great work!

Jul. 27, 2011 at 8:46 pm :
About a year I believe. I'm not sure how many pages I wrote this a while ago. But thanks!

KylaMThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:07 am :
your so talented!

Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:50 am :
Awhh thank you! That means a lot to me(:

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm:
Love the story! Great twist. Didn't expect that at all.

RhythmAndRhyme said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm:
I swear, I'm going to start crying. The prologue is making me tear up! I have a younger brother about 7 years old with blonde hair and blue eyes...I kept imagining him as the brother in the story. It scares me so much.

Odessa_Sterling00This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm:
Good Job.  Hope you get this on most discussed.  :DD