Keeping Secrets | Teen Ink

Keeping Secrets

By HeyChikka, Hartford, Connecticut
HeyChikka, Hartford, Connecticut

Author's note: I wrote this story inspired by Pretty Little Liars one of the best series I have ever read!

“Now Macy tell us everything you remember about that day.” Said the strange man sitting on the other end of the table.
“I told you I don’t remember for the last time!” I fired back at him. I knew I shouldn’t be yelling at a cop who was only trying to help but the fluorescent lights and all these questions were giving me headaches.
“I know you know what happened you were with her. Remember? January 13th.”
I did know but frankly I didn’t want to tell what really happened so I had to lie it was my only way. If she were here with me she would want me to do the same thing.
“Uh, okay listen here Mr. Um…. Yeah Mr. Cop okay I don’t know and I don’t remember anything that happened. It’s been a few years now and you are just now questioning me. Great system you got running around here. Can I go please I have a major test at school and if I stay any longer in this crazy place I will miss it and I can’t afford to have a bad grade. So Goodbye.” I told him finally leaving the tiny room that made me feel Closter phobic.
“Sit down Ms. Vanda.” He called.
Letting out an annoyed breath I took a seat on the gray chair that felt like sitting on a hard rock.

“You will stay here until we are done with you.”

“Okay but if they won’t let me make it up you can come down to my school and explain to the teachers this mess that doesn’t even involve me! Hayden and I were just good friends.” I explained.

Actually we were great friends. We told each other everything. And I mean everything. Even the stuff we thought was to embarrassing, to personal, or just family problems. I guess it all ended that winter night. The thing I was hiding from the cops or the thing I was just trying to hide from myself. I wish I could take it all back. I promised I would! But what happened, happened and I still regret ever letting it play on.

“So you are telling the truth about Hayden you don’t know anything about that night or her disappearance. Did you and Hayden ever get in a big fight?”

“ Are you implying that I would ever do anything to hurt my best friend!?”

“Okay.” He replied searching through his papers kind of nervously. He was a new comer at this I could already tell. He was trying to make me crack, to tell him everything, but he wasn’t dealing with an amateur.

“This is Hayden’s room. Does anything look out-of-place, not ordinary, or is something missing?” The man questioned.

I took a quick glance at the pictures then looked right back at him.

“No.” I said coldly while tilting my head so my platinum blonde hair would fall out of my face.
“You didn’t look at the pictures for very long, is something wrong, is something in the picture bothering you?”

“No. I am fine.” Replying I crossed my sleeve covered arms over my chest and leaned back in the chair. I stared at him with my ice blue eyes. He was shaking in his seat. Poor guy. I was probably his first interview. He wasn’t bad looking. Kind of cute actually with his dark brown almond shaped eyes, his brownie colored hair, and his tan. He was probably like in his mid twenties. Maybe 23. Hey in a few years he might go for me.

“Um okay. I think we are done here I will contact you if we need anything else.”

“ K, I guess I will be going. Look my number up in the system if you want to call me.” I added with a wink.

He was smirking at me with his hot pink lips. Back in college he was a definite player. I could tell.

“Ha ha.” He said sternly but kind of flirtingly.

“ What’s your name?” I asked.

“Agent Connor.”

“Cute. I like that.” That was all I said before I left the building with my black and white Coach bag slung over my shoulder.

I pushed open the heavy bulletproof school doors. Strutting in I stopped at the office and checked in. Then soon I went to my 3rd period class with Mr. Oosenbeck, the most annoying teacher I have ever had. Especially with his crooked teeth, that greasy blonde combed over hair, and his big nerd glasses that sat on his giant 10-inch nose! He was by far the most disturbing thing I have ever seen and of course he hated me.

I took a deep breath and glided in the rectangular room that reminded me of a jail cell. Most people in the class were half a sleep lying on their chemistry books. But others like the nerds and my best guy friend Matt were actually paying attention to the periodic table Mr. Oosenbeck was pointing at. As I turned to Matt he was staring at me with that perfect 100-watt smile of his that glowed along his California summer tanned skin. I gave him a little wave as I stood at the front of the room handing Mr. Oosenbeck a note saying why I was late.

“Excuse me, Ms. Vanda stop waving to your boyfriend and SIT DOWN!” He commanded while pulling up his already to high pants.

I turned to Matt who was blushing.
“Well your excused, and Matt is not my boyfriend thank you very much.”

“Oh just sit the heck down!”

“Wow freak much,” I mumbled as I took the empty seat next to Matt.
“Where were you?” Matt questioned me.

“At the police station. They were questioning me about Hayden.”

“Hey my brother works at the police station he is—“

“Matt and Macy! Please shush other kids are trying to listen,” Mr. Oosenbeck sneered.

I looked around the room everyone was dying of boredom either that or throwing pencils at each other. But the nerds were still listening. I huffed and leaned down in my seat. For the rest of the class I attempted to listen to Mr. Oosenbeck. It wasn’t really worth it though because everything he said left my brain as soon as the bell rang.

“Finally!” I exclaimed.
Matt laughed and gave me a playful nudge as we walked together to our lockers.

“So I was wondering if you um wanted to like hang out and grab a bite to eat on Friday maybe?” He asked.

“Yeah that would be awesome!” I smiled.

“MATT!” yelled some of his baseball buddies.
“Aw you talking to your girl?” they teased and made kissy faces at him.
I let out a girly laugh.
“Be quiet!” he said while punching them in the side. “I will text you later Macy!” Matt called while walking with his friends.
I continued in my locker shuffling through homework and books. Something caught my eye though on the inside of the locker door. It was a note written on the mirror in pink dry erase markers that read, tell them. I got worried quick. Who could of broken into my locker? Turning around I swear I saw Hayden walking in the hallway with her brown almost black hair. Gasping I slammed into the locker as other students stared at me in confusion. I looked back and Hayden was gone. Was she haunting me? I started speed walking to my next class and to all my others through out the school day. As soon as the dismissal bell rang telling us it was time to go home. I jetted through the doors and almost sprinted toward my small BMW.
I began to drive nervously down Magnolia St. and turned onto Thirteen Rivers Avenue. Then I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket of my new miss me’s I got just the other day. Picking it up I looked at the unknown number on the screen. I pressed send and answered.
“Hello?” I answered.
“Hey it’s Conner from the station.”
Oh my gosh! I thought.
“Oh yeah hey.”
“So when you left the police station I started thinking about you. I just couldn’t get you out of my head. You are really cute and I was thinking we should go out sometime.”
“Don’t you think you’re a little old for me? It would be like breaking the law wouldn’t it?”
“Yes, but if you won’t tell then I won’t. How old are you anyway?”
“Seventeen. What about you?”
“Twenty-three.”
“Okay, so where do you plan on taking me?”
“Maybe a movie or dinner?”
“Sounds good what night?”
“Friday.”
“Can’t plans. How about tomorrow?”
“Yeah! That will be great. Bye.”
I hung up without saying anything. I was so over whelmed with excitement I could of peed myself.

I pulled into my average three-story house and turned off my car. The hiss of the engine stopped as I pulled the key out of the ignition. I shuffled my feet across the December snow. Nothing like the blizzards in Connecticut. Pushing the maple wood door to our house (imported from Canada, where they have the best) I walked in.
“Maria!” I yelled for our maid.
“Yes Ms. Vanda?”
I stared at her for a second. Our maid Maria was very sweet. She was about 25 years old and Hispanic. When she met me in the foyer she smiled with her straight teeth and her one of a kind Ralph Lauren cardigan.
“Do you know what time mom will be home?” I asked.
“Oh, well tonight she has a meeting and your father well he left for a business trip to New York this morning while you were at the police station.”
“Okay thanks Maria. And you don’t have to call me Ms. Vanda, we are friends.” I told her.
“Oh ha ha gracias,” She spoke Spanish in her wonderful Colombian accent.
I walked to our enormous stainless steel kitchen and turned on the flat screen as I scrambled to the freezer for some frozen yogurt. I grabbed the container and opened the drawer to get a spoon. I stuck the spoon through the cold yogurt. It cut through it like an ax cutting through wood. Sitting in a chair I watched the news.
“ Today at 6:45 this morning a local jogger was jogging at Splendora Park when he stumbled upon a dead body. The body was the corpse of a young girl that went missing years ago. It’s amazing that they just now found this poor teen. Cops are working on the case now. Her name was Hayden Sileece and her funeral will be tomorrow at 5:30. She will be very badly missed. So in other news—“ The puffy haired women reporter explained.
After she said everything I couldn’t believe it I was in shock they found her! Oh no! I was so zoned out I finally noticed I was staring at the T.V. with a spoonful of vanilla bean yogurt in my mouth. This couldn’t be happening. I never thought they would find it. I hope they don’t find any evidence of me being with her that night she never came home. I sprinted up to my room and I swear if I ran next to an Olympic runner right now I would win. Closing the white glossy door to my light plum colored room I lingered toward my huge walk in closet. I stepped in and immediately went to the back of the closet to where it was. The Sweatshirt I had found one day. I stared at it knowing the whole story behind how I found it. It held secrets that I could never share. It pained me to even look at it now all the fateful memories it held brought the whole night back to me.
I remember it like it was yesterday that horrible night. We had just gotten back from the movies with Matt. Hayden and me were walking home since the theatre mall was close to our houses. We walked through Splendora Park and stopped at the playground.
“Hey do you have any lip gloss?” Hayden asked.
“Yeah why?” I asked shuffling through my purse looking for some.
“Okay so don’t tell anyone. Matt and I are going to meet up here tonight and we are going to have our first kiss. So I want my lips to be tasty and ready.”
“You and Matt aren’t going out though.” I replied handing her the lip-gloss regret tingly.
“Oh yum vanilla flavored! He will love it! But he told me he liked me the other day. So what the heck? I will give him a shot.”
“I thought you liked Blake?” I asked glumly.
“I do but well he is taking to long to say he likes me so whatever.”
“So you don’t really like Matt?”
“Well kinda.”
“Oh my gosh Hayden you know I like him! Why would you do this to me when you don’t even like him! Your not even over Blake!” I yelled brokenheartedly. Truth is though I really did have a big crush on Matt in 8th grade.
“He is cute.”
“ That’s all you like him for isn’t it? Wow. Some best friend you are! I am leaving!”
“Take your stupid lip gloss back then!”
“No you keep it your nasty lips have already touched it!” I screamed running away with tears in my eyes.
“Whatever more vanilla lip gloss for me! Matt will like it better then kissing you!” I heard her fading voice say into the darkness.
As I ran and ran. Then I heard footsteps coming near me. Crap. I thought. Matt came out of the darkness smiling.
“Hey Macy!”
I ignored him and kept running. And that was my very last conversation I had with Hayden. That night I went home and cried myself to sleep wondering why every guy liked Hayden more! She wasn’t that pretty! That next morning I was awakened by my mom who asked if I knew where Hayden was. I didn’t after the night before I hadn’t seen Hayden or even talked to her. Weeks and Weeks passed still no Hayden. They questioned Matt they even wondered if he killed her, but no one knew. Matt even took a polygraph that proved him innocent of killing her. Everyone was petrified wondering what would happen next, and many parents were much more protective then they already were. I felt bad not knowing where my best friend was I cried and cried until it was all drained out, but at the same time I was kind of relieved she was gone. No more backstabbing.
Then one night I had a dream actually not a dream probably a nightmare. I was running and stumbling through the darkness. Something was chasing me. Or someone. I heard a girly laughed that seemed to belong to Hayden near the old abandoned barn that no one goes to at Splendora Park. I sprinted in fearing whatever was chasing me might catch me. Standing on the opposite side of the barn was Hayden wearing all black. She giggled then gave me a cold hard stare.
“Macy? Why did you leave me that night?” she asked with tears coming down my face.
“I am so sorry Hayden I wished I di—“
She looked panicked. Glaring at the door that slowly opened.
“He is coming.” She stated without emotion.
“You need to leave he is coming! Go before he hurts you Macy! Go!”

“No Hayden I am not going to leave you!”

“Leave now! Just when you wake please come and find me!” She cried.

The door swung open. Then I woke up from the nightmare gasping in a cold sweat. I calmed down and went back to sleep. That February morning I felt like I needed to go the old barn. It felt like a magnet was pulling me there. As I walked in through the broken door I walked to the side and noticed something lying there. It was Hayden. I gasped and stared at her lifeless body in terror. On the floor beside her was an old beat up American Eagle sweatshirt. I grabbed at it and stared long and hard at it. The killer who killed her could have worn this sweatshirt. Next thing I knew I was back at my house putting the sweatshirt in my room. But I did not tell anyone about finding her. I don’t know why, but I was being selfish I guess I didn’t want her to have all the attention when she was dead too. So after that I kept quiet and never said a word about it.

I returned to reality from the horrible memory that I kept a secret, I don’t know why though. Wait a second, I thought, when I saw her body it was in the barn if a jogger found it, it had to be near the trail. Which the barn wasn’t near. Someone moved her, not just that but they wanted them to find her. I got cold chills up the side of my body. I looked in my closet mirror and noticed I was shaking. I crawled out of the closet and got myself back together. Then called Connor.

“Hey Connor.”

“Hey this is Macy right?” he asked.

“Yeah and I was wondering if you wanted to hang out right now instead of tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.”

“Sure little Ms. Popular how about we go see a movie?”

“Okay I will meet you there.” I said hanging up.

I drove to the movie complex that Hayden and me went to before the night she disappeared. When I saw Connor he grinned and walked over to me. As he glided over I really looked at him and noticed he kind of looked like Matt. They both had dark brown hair and eyes. And they were both almost the same skin tone.

“Hey.” He smiled.

“Hi,” I said as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

We walked in the theatre and all the little middle school girls were staring at me in envy of hanging out with such a cute guy. I gave them a wish you were me smile then turned around. When we got in the movie we sat and watched as buff dudes beat each other up over Megan Fox. Connor put his arm around me and I snuggled in some. I felt electric bolts go through my body. Ah! This was so amazing. My phone started to buzz. I grabbed it out of my purse and looked at the screen Matt was calling me I hit ignore like he did me when he liked Hayden.

“Who was that?” Connor wondered.

“No one important.”

The movie ended then so did our date. I didn’t think anything would happen but he kissed me on the way out. Then he sweetly like a gentleman walked me to my car and kissed me again. Then he kept kissing me not wanting to stop. I backed away not wanting to, but I knew if someone saw us they would get suspicious and we both might get in trouble. Plus this made him want me even more.

“Whoa. I thought you wanted me too.”

“I do but I don’t want to get in trouble you know.” I told him.

“True, but just keep us a secret,” he said putting his finger to his lips.

I kissed him goodbye with butterflies in my stomach. What a great night! But when I got home I was exhausted, and I climbed into bed and slept like I was in a coma.

The next few days all people could talk about was Hayden. How they couldn’t believe it happened. I got through it though especially since the miss you messages Connor sent me. I was in such a love daze that I almost forgot about hanging out with Matt tonight. I felt kind of bad just ignoring him, but I mean it was for a reason. It’s not like he has never done it to me.

“Hey,” he smiled. “So are we still on for tonight?”

“Yeah. Definitely,” I assured him.

“So 6:00 right?”

“Yeah 6:00. How about we go to A slice of heaven?”

“Yum sounds great!”

I smiled then walked away. I was excited. Well kind of. I rather be going with Connor to a Slice of Heaven to be telling the truth. Something about Connor just keeps me in this trance. I guess it is because he is an older boy.

After the boring school day I dragged home to get ready for the date I was about to go on. Wahoo. I slowly move up the stairs and eased myself into my room. And laid down on my silk sheets. Ah nice and peaceful. I turned on the T.V. and it seemed every time I went to another news channel they always were talking about Hayden’s disappearance. It still gave me chills wondering who moved her body. I was in such a daze that I about missed time to leave and meet up with Matt. I got in my small, but expensive car and drove down a few streets until I saw the small familiar light blue building with pink lights that sparkled saying A Slice of Heaven.

Walking in I noticed Matt sitting in the small black booth around the light blue table. He offered me a big grin and waved. Looking at Matt this time for some reason made me stop thinking about Connor. I started steeling myself on the inside for acting like a butt hole these past days.

I plopped down on the seat across from him and smiled.

“Hey I am so happy we could you know hang out.” He said.

“Yeah me too. With Hayden’s disappearance I needed to get my mind off of it, just hanging out with a friend.”

His face-hardened when I said friend since he wanted to be more then friends.

“So I brought you here because I wanted to tell you that I really li—“ said Matt being cut off.

“Hey little bro!” Connor greeted walking towards us.

Oh my gosh. Crap. If Matt knew that I kissed Connor he would be furious.

“Oh hey Connor.” Matt’s face dropped.

“Wow, what do we have here?” He examined me. “Macy Vanda.”

I stared at him pleading with my eyes not to tell Matt.

“Yeah, so can you leave now? I was trying to tell her something.” Matt stated.

“Aw, are you going to tell her you have a big crush on her. How sweet.” Connor teased.

“Stop Connor please.”

“ To bad she is already mine.”

Matt looked from me to Connor.

“What are you talking about?”

“Macy, you didn’t tell him?” Connor said cocking his head.

Why was Connor being such a jerk?

“Tell me what?” Matt asked while glaring at Connor.

“That we kind of already well you know. Kissed.” Connor said without even hesitating.

Matt sat in there in silence and looked at me.

“How could you? You knew I liked you!” Matt said raising his voice.

“I am so sorry. I didn’t want to hurt you!” I yelled.

“So what you like make out with my brother?” He yelled back.

I was speechless as I turned to look at all the other customers who were staring at us in silence. Tears started to trickle down my face. Matt then looked at Connor with a fire in his eyes I had never seen before.

“And you. Why would you do that? You just couldn’t help yourself could you? You knew I liked her you jerk!” Matt roared.

“Matt, I won again. She doesn’t like you.”

Matt stood up his fist was clenched, and his veins in his arms were popping out. I could see the outline of his jaw harden. When he was standing in front of Connor I noticed that he was taller, and more built, but not by a lot. In a fast motion Matt punched Connor in the face. Connor hit him back. Then they were both wrestling and hitting each other on the floor. It reminded me of the same argument Hayden and I had the night she disappeared.

“Stop! Please Stop!” I screamed at both of them.

The rough looking cooks and waitresses pulled them off of each other and held both of them back. Matt had a bloody lip and Connor had a red eye and a scratch on his cheek. They stared at each other like they were about to fight in a war. I looked at both of them silently and ran out of the restaurant with tears streaming down my shocked face. I sat in my car trying to dry it up. I can’t believe I was so selfish. This is all my fault. Uh now they both hate me. I speeded home and as soon as I got in my room I cried and cried until there were no more tears left in my whole body.

Ding Dong, was the sound I awoke to on Saturday morning. I rushed down stairs and swung open the door. Standing there holding my purse was Matt.

“Hi, you left this at the restaurant.” He said.

“Matt, you sure are working my purse,” I tried making a joke, but he didn’t laugh. “Okay listen I want to talk.”

“Me too.”

“Come with me.” I commanded pulling his hand.

“Where are we going?”

“For a walk.” I told him bringing him closer and closer to the maple woods.

We strolled threw then I sat down on a broken branch in my jeans that I wore yesterday.

“So what exactly happened with you and my brother?”

“All we did was kiss and go to the movies,” I promised.

“Please don’t be mad,” I begged holding my head down.

He took his warm hand and put it under my chin pushing up my head so I could meet his perfect chocolate brown eyes.

“I got over it after I punched Connor in the face,” he smirked.

I cracked a little smile and then got closer to him. I hugged him smelling his warm cinnamon scented cologne. I looked up at him and started crying again.

“Why are you crying?” Matt asked.

“I just want you to know that I am so sorry, and I will never ever do anything like this again. And I like you.” I admitted.

“Thanks.”

And that was all he said. I got up broken-heartedly about to leave. But he grabbed my hand softly and pulled me into his lap.

“I like you too.” He told me.

I leaned closer to Matt so close that our noses were touching. He eased a little closer until we kissed. I drew back and smiled at him. This was way better then Connor’s. Matt and I slowly walked back to my house hand and hand. I gave him a hug and kiss goodbye. Then he left. I felt complete.

The next week I was with Matt almost 24/7. We went everywhere now and I hadn’t even heard a peep from Connor until that next Saturday when we went to Matt’s house.

“Here is your hot chocolate.” Matt said handing it to me.

“Thank you boyfriend.” I thanked.

He brushed my cheek with his lips.

“I will be back I have to go get something from my room.” He told me.

I looked around the kitchen. Then the backdoor opened and in walked Connor.

“Oh hey,” he said with a sinister smile.

I wanted to call for Matt, but I couldn’t. For some reason I wanted to talk to him. He edged near me.

“So you and Matt huh? How cute, but you miss me. You know you do.”

I backed into the table. He kept coming near me until he was so close to me I could barely breathe. I looked into his same eyes that Matt had.

“Tell me when to stop.” He said moving his face towards mine.

“St—“ I was trying to say.

“What is going on in here!” Matt yelled seeing him.

“Matt! He just came in and was all over me! I promise!” I explained pushing Connor away coming over to him. I noticed I was still clutching my hot chocolate.

“She is telling the truth. But she didn’t want me to stop.” He told Matt.

“Get out.” Matt said sternly. He had the same fire in his eyes he did the one day.

“Whatever.” Connor said leaving and going into another room.

Matt put his arm around me protectively. We started looking at the pictures in the kitchen. I noticed one of Hayden, Matt, and me from a long time ago probably 8 years ago. We were all smiling sitting in the bright fall leaves. Then when I noticed what Matt was wearing in the picture my whole body hardened like a statue. I accidently dropped my hot chocolate since I was so stunned. The mug shattered on the floor. He was wearing the old American Eagle sweatshirt I found at the barn.

“Whoa, Macy are you okay?” He questioned me.

I pulled away from him fast and stared at the murderer who killed my best friend. I couldn’t believe it was Matt I thought he was innocent.

“Your staring at me like I killed someone,” Matt told me.

“You did. That sweatshirt you are wearing in that picture I found it next to Hayden’s body. You- you killed her.” I said.

“What are you talking about Macy?”

“You killed Hayden.” I accused him.

“No I grew out of that sweatshirt and gave it to Connor before Macy even disappeared.” He said.

Connor killed her. We had to get out of this house we were in the presence of a cold-blooded murderer.

“Ha, so Macy figured it out. Funny I thought someone smarter would by now.” Said Connor he was holding a gun pointed straight at both of us.

“Connor you killed her!”

“Yes little bro.” Connor admitted to Matt.

“Why? What did Hayden do to you?” I cried shaking.

Matt wrapped his protecting arms around me.

“It was so long ago. Wait oh yes I was a Senior in high school while Hayden was in 7th grade. We had a little thing going you know meeting up kissing just like you, and me Macy. We both knew if she would tell anyone about it I would get in trouble since its breaking a law. The night she disappeared she was planning on telling people because she had fallen for Matt. I loved Hayden just like I do you Macy, but I didn’t want to get in trouble and go to jail. I had to kill her she deserved it. No one must know that is why I must finish you two off so you won’t tell. I love you Macy.” He yelled.

“ Wait, I love you too! Don’t hurt me we will still be together I won’t tell I love you that much.” I explained coming near him.

He wrapped his arm around my waist.

“Give me the gun I will shoot Matt and it will be done.” I said.

Matt looked at me with a horrified look as Connor handed me the solid black gun. I pointed it at Matt then turned and shot Connor in the foot with it. He fell to the ground screaming. I didn’t kill him, but I protected Matt and me. He would be hurt, but not dead like Hayden. Matt ran up and squeezed me so tight.

“That was brave of you! You scared me for a second there.” Matt exclaimed.

I grabbed the phone and dialed 911. When the cops and ambulance got there I watched as they took Connor out in a stretcher as he was screaming still in pain.

“That was incredibly brave of you Ms. Vanda.” Thanked the cop that was at the scene.

“Thank you sir.” I nodded.

Matt gave me one more hug as relief passed threw me knowing that Hayden’s killer would now be behind bars for the rest of his life.