Broken Words and Emty Hearts | Teen Ink

Broken Words and Emty Hearts

April 7, 2011
By Mandytakara BRONZE, St. Helens, Oregon
More by this author
Mandytakara BRONZE, St. Helens, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To live everyday like it’s the last, looking forward to the next, to believe you can and you will accomplish the goal in which you strive for,”
~Amanda Lynn Takara


Author's note: My insparation for this writhing is the movie "The Green Mile" when An older man is put to death for treason not of his own doings. infact he tries to save the dieing girls and still is blamed. even after his death, he would be know for his abilities.

The author's comments:
If you notice this is all in past-tence, this is our main charecter remembering what had just happened an hour before

“Get out of my house this instant! You and your demon powers get out!” Mom’s yelling at me again, but this time she’s for real. She never usually says anything about my abilities, but never includes kicking me out.

“But Mom!? I don’t even know what I did wrong. What did I do? Just tell me, and I’ll go,” I pleaded.

“Your wicked power, that’s what. You got that from your father, not me, and now look where he is. In the mental hospital! I shouldn’t have to be the one dealing with you.” Her eyes lit up, letting me see inside her messed up mind. Then, I knew she had an idea. Mom took a piece of scrap paper out of a note book and grabbed the rustiest pen off of the kitchen counter. “Here, come here now.” I walked over to her as she slaps the paper on the wooden kitchen table. She bends over and writes the words “emancipation form” then, under that she wrote “signature” twice, side be side with two lines above it. “Here, sign right here.”

“What? Why?” I asked.

“I don’t want to be responsible for you anymore.” She exclaimed. I was reluctant, until she grabbed my hand and put the rusty pen in it. Followed by, her forcing my hand down on the paper.

‘You know what. I am so freaking tired of this. I don’t think I can take it.’ I think as, I take my arm away from her grasp. I signed it so fast I think I saw a spark at the tip of the pen. Mom was so mad that I wasn’t reluctant enough to sign. She took the pen from me and signed her line, and then she rolled it up and handed it to me.

“Okay that’s over, go pack your bags and get outta here” I about-faced and went to pack my clothes.

The author's comments:
This is the Start of our story and it really gives it a kick!

Right now I’m on Alderwood road; it’s an extensive road, in which leads to no where. Its good walking on an empty road. I can’t think of a better place to think about me. My name is David Wicken, 17 years old, from Portland, Oregon. Right now I’m not exactly sure where I’m headed, but it sure as hell ain’t gonna be back there. It feels like I’m in a fairy tale because I have the ability to heal anyone but me. I’ve researched my abilities on Google, but I’m sure it only happens in fairytales. Sometimes, I ask myself who is writing my story? I still don’t know the answer but-

My train of thought is broken, when two cars pass me. I watch them like a traveling dot in the middle of a blank page. The car ahead is a red FORD van, and behind is a Honda insight. The van’s swerving which is making the Honda make immediate halts as they honk their horns. I’m sort of getting a little suspicious of these two cars, so I run and try to catch up with them just incase. I leave my bag of clothes, a wallet, and bandages with gauze. I look down at my feet of a quick second because a spot on my shoe catches my eye. I look up and the two cars collide, the car alarms are going on with screaming and the honking of horns continually. I sprint to the cars with an increasing amount of speed.

When I get up to them, there are a few people crying and one laughing. I go to the van first; in the van was a laughing male driver, with two crying female passengers. Then, I go to the Honda. I first see a smashed windshield, and blood all around. No sounds but from the people in the other car.

“Hello?” I say, sounding a little shaky. “Are- are you okay.” I circle the car to the driver’s side of the car. It looks like a 16 year old brunet, passed out. Her chest had a couple deep cuts and small wounds with blood all over her Hollister tank top. . “Miss?” I say not expecting an answer, but she opens her eyes to a thin slant, “Hi, just trust me okay? Imma make you feel much better… okay?” She slightly nods her head. I give her a smile to assure her she’s going to be okay. I kneel down and put her arm around my neck, and pick her up. I stand up and take her to where my stuff is and, I lay her head on my bag. I take off her jacket and lift her shirt. She had cuts all around her chest and neck. I also notice the cuts up and down her arms.

The author's comments:
Suprise is coming!

I gracefully lay my hands on the cuts of her arm and inhale deeply and slowly through my chest, where I can feel the air inside of me, then to my palms. Around my hands are watery blobs, I move my hands up and down her arms. As I’m doing this, I look up to her “Miss, can you tell me your name?” a single tears falls from her left eye and turns her head. “Okay, no name.” I look back at her arm; she has one cut really deep that will take some time to heal. I take another deep breath. Her cut has a bubble of water around it, and the cut itself is shining. I take my hand off and the flesh wound disappears.

Then I go to the other arm. This arm is less harmed so I take my gauze and wrap it secure and tightly. Next, I head for her chest. I go around the lining of her bra. She has five little cuts; I lay my hands over the cuts until the water blobs light the slash, and disappears. They all lit up and then the light faded leaving no trace of scars or slices. After, I focus on her face; it has glass in two out of three cuts. I cup my hands around her two cuts of glass. The slash’s light up, closed as the glass slipped out and onto my hand.

The girl opened her eyes and smiled. She gives me a hug “Thank you, how did you do that? I feel so much better, by the way my name is Ashton Lameires,” She says with a smile.

“Okay cool, I’m David Wicken”

“Wicken? Like magic and junk?” she looks at her arms, astonished by my work.

“Hey,” I smile “I’ve got the magic touch” ‘what was that?! God I’m so stupid. What kind of idiot says that?!’ I look down at my shirt and lean back. “So what’s goin to go down with your parents and this car?”

She gives a chuckle and leans further down on my bag. Ashton was actually really cute when you remove all the blood. She has a cute nose, a slim figure and a pair of beautiful green eyes. Her dark hair goes down to the end of her shoulder blades; Ashton has the rocker type of style.

“So what’s a boy like you, doing on a road like this, alone?” she smiles and tilts her head.

“My mom kinda kicked me out tonight so,” Ashton’s smile faded from her lips. “Well you know, I just gotta find a place to stay tonight.”

“Okay, here’s the deal. I’ve decided to run away tonight because it’s been something I’ve been planning for weeks” her eyes brighten and she points to her Honda “If you can fix that windshield and clean it up, you can sleep in it with me.”

She’s giving me an excellent opportunity for a place to sleep. I can’t believe this; I put my hand over my mouth and remove it within a few seconds. “Are you serious? That’s all I have to do?” I point my finger at her car and notice that the van with the drunken man two women had left.

“Yep, that’s it” she smiles and says “Okay look at it this way, before I left my house I took my Dads wallet, and I went shopping for, you know, groceries.” I smile back, and watch her as she looks down to her stomach, realizing her shirt was up and pulls it down. She looks back up at me and blushes.

“So, what made you leave home?” I say trying to start conversation again.

“Well, my Dads a druggie and my moms an alcoholic, and me and my little sister don’t need that.”

“Your sister?”


“Oh yeah I have to check on her see if she’s okay.” Ashton jumps on her feet and runs to her car. I follow her and watch as she opens the backseat. Is soon as I get over there, I notice that her sister was around the age of four and had two cuts on her; I’m guessing she was asleep the whole time. Amazingly, she was still asleep. Ashton grabs her little sister’s frail hands to wake her up. “Kelsey” Ashton whispers. “Kelsey, common, wake up,” she continues “Kelsey Alexandra Reid! You will wake up this second!” this surprised me; I don’t think I would’ve thought this would come from Ashton. Kelsey opens her eyes slowly. When she see’s me, she gets confused.

“Sissy? What’s going on? Where, where are we?” Kelsey’s eyes start to water.

“Shhh- shhh. See this guy?” Ashton puts her hand on my shoulder in which guides Kelsey’s eyes to me and nods “This is David, he’s going to join us on our adventure,” Kelsey smiles at Ashton and Ashton smiles at me as I smile back. “So we need you to get out of the car so David can clean it so we can go night-night” Kelsey smiles once again and hops out of her car seat. I lean in towards the seat and unhook it. Ashton looks at me, and I take it out.

“So she can sleep some more if she needs to.” She nods and takes it and her sister down to my bag of clothes. I gather the small pieces of glass on the car seats and floor into my hands. I end up making a good size pile next to the passenger door. As I pass by the hood of the car I notice that it’s not very damaged. After a while, I walk down to where Ashton is. I grab a random flashlight keychain off of my keys, click then button, and give it to Kelsey. Kelsey points it into the never ending gray sky in which had no stars to be seen. Then, Kelsey points the light at Ashton’s face. This is the first time I’ve actually ever got a good look at Ashton. Her hair is a deep tan and her skin is light and flawless, she has random beauty mark randomly scattered throughout her body. Her eyes are a bright green, she is simply a masterpiece. It’s this moment, I am deeply attracted to her. I realize she’s look at me weird, so I guide my eyes to the ground ‘weird I must’ve been staring’ chuckle and think about the journey ahead of us.

“I’m getting tired,” Kelsey ached.

“So am I,” Ashton replies. “How about you?” I lift my head assuming she’s referring to me, I nod my head and she smiles in return. I get up and grab a blanket out of my bag and hand it to Kelsey. Kelsey takes Ashton’s hand and lead her to the car while I follow. “Okay, me and you can take the from ‘cause the seats tilt back and Kelsey can have the back ‘cause she’s small okay?”
I jump into the passenger side while Ashton jumps into the drivers’ side. When I look back, Kelsey has already gotten into the back with a blanket around her and has already fallen asleep. I look at Ashton whose smiling at me. I smile back and close my eyes.

“Good night David,” I hear in front of me.

“Good night Ashton,” I answer back. I flip on my side and face the passenger window. I fall asleep and drift off into a comfortable feeling.

The author's comments:
HAHA Suprise! Well Dont realy know if you saw that coming but i picturized David as sort of a kewl guy and really and uncomfortably nice. Ashton seemed pretty rebellious and pretty sly about everything, she'd help everyone in need as much as possible. And well Kelsey, she just goes with everything and somehow makes the story just a tad bit more interesting.

I’m awoken by noises of dragging feet on ragged gravel , doors opening and closing. I sit up in my seat and notice that Ashton is gone, and neither is Kelsey. No sounds of whispering or breathing beside myself is coming from inside the car. I see my breath as I look around the outside of the car and see Kelsey on the side of the gravel road , staring at the car almost if she see’s me staring back, no blinking involved, but where’s Ashton?

I jump when I finally hear the trunk slam. I look back and see Ashton with an axe and a hammer, she walks towards me and see’s that I’m awake. Her eyes widen. She runs to Kelsey and whispers inside of her ear and looks back at me. What’s the real reason Ashton left her home? Ashton walks towards the passenger door as I slowly scoot myself back further and further. She laughs and drops the axe and raises the hammer. So this is what its like to have a friend??? To be out on your own? Trying to survive the world outside of your home? ‘Cause if this is it, I don’t understand why I wanted to grow up so fast.

“Ashton, what are you doing?” I asked with a slight stutter in my voice.

“Shut up! Your hopeless! You lie about how you saved me, you said had powers! That’s insane! No one would believe you so why make things up!?”

“What are you talking about! Everything I’ve told you the honest and goodness truth! I swear!” I plead.

“You liar!” she swing the hammer at my head. I pure shock rushes through my mind, not even pain just shock, next thing I know I see blood dripping down my face. Head starts to spin and I put me left hand on my forehead. What’s this? It’s so mushy and fragile. I snap my head and pull down the sun visor’s mirror and discover that I’ve been hit in the temple of my head. I hear another gash and feel pain in the other side of my head. My eyes begin to feel distinctly heavy and the pain is growing.


“Am I a bad person?” I ask Ashton.

“No,” a tear falls from one eye.

“Then… why???” I lower my head to my knees, focusing on my bloody low-top shoes.

“Look, I didn’t really mean for this to happen. I really didn’t,” she pauses, “I have anger issues and multiple personalities, but I know what’s going on and I can stop myself. The real reason why my and Kelsey left home is because,” she pauses once again “I killed my eldest sister and my parents were going to send me to a juvenile hall. Kelsey knows of this, she helped me, so we ran away together.” She puts her chin against her chest, her hair is blocking her face. “I-I s-still don’t know if you were telling the truth or not…..”

I feel tears running into a steam going down my face “It was true… but you know what this is okay. I forgive you… now I know; horrible things really do happen to extraordinary people.”

I hear Ashton kneel down and give me a kiss and say “Thank you, I’m so sorry. This should’ve never happened. You, yourself is an amazing person. Don’t ever forget that. You know what?” I didn’t hear much more of what she said. It was more of a mumble in the end but, regardless what just happened, she was the best thing that had ever happened to me, thank you Ashton for putting me out of my nonstop miserable life.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on May. 10 2011 at 1:09 pm
Mandytakara BRONZE, St. Helens, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
“To live everyday like it’s the last, looking forward to the next, to believe you can and you will accomplish the goal in which you strive for,”
~Amanda Lynn Takara

Thank you (: ill keep that in mind

on Apr. 13 2011 at 10:11 am
Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina
62 articles 0 photos 569 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk'?, and I say 'No that's trendy'!"- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

The chapters are a little too short for me. And with a last name like Wicken (too close to Wiccan) you might be asking for trouble.

 

Please check out my novel SuperNOVA on the front page of the novels section and leave your thoughts on it. Thanks :D