Battle for the Generation | Teen Ink

Battle for the Generation

By Tri-X-ster116, barnegat, New Jersey
Tri-X-ster116, Barnegat, New Jersey

The main characters are introduced almost immediately, but their rolles aren't known until the sixth chapter.

For the past thirty years, Mother Earth has been at peace. Crystal clear oceans at the sandy beaches remained at a constant flow. Every night was quiet enough to hear the crickets chirp while weather changes took place as usual. However, six months ago, a dark cloud appeared in Earth's blue sky that blocked the sun's rays almost completely. During that time lightning storms had broken out for sixteen days in a row.

On the night of the seventeenth day the dark cloud began to take form; like a person's physical image in a shadow. Just moments after the shadow touched the sandy grounds of a desert, it began to rain non-stop.

At first, it was a shadow that could walk among the human race without being detected. It was after the shadow began absorbing energy from electrical devices that it became more creative. For the next four weeks people started to have nightmares that resulted in massive heart attacks.

Just last week, the police had taken up the investigation of mysterious deaths. After talking to six witnesses, the police gained three suspects and held them at the station. The first three witnesses just clued the cops in on how horrific the deaths really were. Before the police started their investigation they were clueless about each victim's condition. A teenage girl named Marissa was the first person to give a statement.

"Alright so tell me exactly what you saw," demanded one of the town cops working on the case.

When the cop picked up a small black notepad, he handed it to Marissa so she could record her statement. After she turned around and grabbed a pen off of the desk behind her, Marissa looked up at the cop and proceeded to tell him what she saw as a tear rolls down from her left eye.

"The rug in my friend's living room was white, but when I walked in it was completely red."

The second witness didn't give the police his name, however, the guy probably didn't even know what he was saying since his statement was, "Oh man, I saw some dude standing over that woman's body and he was breathing heavily. He just stared at me."

The third person was not much of a witness, but called the cops and told them that he was on the phone with one of the victims while someone broke in and killed the person.

The next three were able to describe the suspects. One of them told the cops that she saw a Caucasian boy wearing a black t-shirt and grey paints with short black hair and thin black eye-glasses passing the victim's house just a few seconds after the incident. Another told the police that she saw someone walking towards the victim's house just before she heard a high-pitched scream. However, this person described the suspect as a pale-skinned girl with blue eyes and curly dark-brown hair that just touched her shoulders. The last witness said that she saw someone sitting in their car, which was parked in front of the victim's house.

Moments after the witnesses gave their statements to the cops, they left the station and the police began to track down the recently accused suspects. They were picked up and detained to gather further information. Shortly after the cops began to question two of the suspects, an officer walked into the interrogation room where the third one was being held. As soon as the cop opened the door, the suspect stopped biting her fingernails and stood up out of the corner as the officer looked at her. Once the door closed, the suspect folded her arms and stared at the cop.

"Well it's about time someone came in here."

When the officer walked up to the table in the middle of the room, he tightly gripped the chair on the side of him.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, Kaitlyn. Come over here and sit in the chair."

As he watched her walk over and pull out the chair that was parallel to his, the officer and the suspect both sat down. While he sat in the chair, the cop folded his arms as he continued to look her in the eyes.

"Now, tell me why you were parked outside the victim's house last night."

"I was on my way home but my car broke down, so I called my boyfriend to pick me up."

About a half-hour later, all of the cops met up in Officer Flagner's office to talk about those who had been accused concerning the recent deaths. Realizing that their stories never changed despite which one of them were questioning them, several of the police had begun to believe that the people they had locked in the interrogation rooms could be innocent. Soon after, another cop walked in and sat down in the chair in front of Officer Flagner's desk.

"All of their alibis hold up, so what are we going to do now?"

"That doesn't mean they're innocent, we just have to dig a little deeper," replied Officer Flagner as he sat up boldly in his chair.

Before anyone had a chance to respond to the cop, they were interrupted bya call on the police radio.

"You better get over to house number sixteen on Langford Drive; you're going to want to see this," said a voice on the other side of the radio.

Meanwhile, at a tall light blue house with dark red siding on Langford Drive, the cops were shocked at what they saw laying on the grass, smeared across all four of the windows on the front of the house, and dripping from the tall green tree on the front lawn. Body parts spread all over the short grass, severed fingers tied to the lower branches and three heads hanging from the higher branches on the tree. It took them about a minute to realize that the faces matched three of the eyewitnesses. Although, after taking a closer look, Officer Flagner noticed that even the heads are incomplete. One was missing the left eye, someone else's mouth was without a tongue, and the third was missing the entire right side of the skull.

Unable to say a word, Officer Flagner turned away and threw up on the newly paved sidewalk. As small drops of body waste dripped from his mouth and onto the grass, a policeman walked over to him. As he turned around and shook his head, he looked toward the cop. "No way that this was a heart attack, I think this is more of the FBI's territory."

While listening to what the policeman was saying, a Stafford cop looked over to see the Barnegat Police putting up the yellow tape around the house. As the police officer from Stafford turned toward the other two officers, he shook his head, “The FBI is already on the case, only they’re on the other side of New Jersey. Besides, they still have no idea what to think.”

“Who the heck are you?” asked Officer Flagner as he wiped the last bit to vomit that’s on his mouth onto his sleeve.

“You can call me Officer Deemer.”

When the Stafford cop walked back to his car, Officer Flagner and the other cop just look at each other for a second. Shortly after, a few of the other officers walked up to them and asked if everything was okay. Just then, a loud crackling noise emited from the police radio that Officer Flagner had clipped to his pants pocket. At first, the signal didn’t come in too clear, but after fixing it, the policemen were told about a 9-1-1 call that came in just moments ago. The cops wasted no time at all and ran back to their vehicles. As he rolled down the driver's window, Officer Deemer realized that there had been another incident. Once they started their cars and drove away, he placed his hand over the key, which had remained in the ignition the whole time. After he turned it counterclockwise to get the engine running, Officer Deemer proceeded to head back to Stafford. As soon as he stopped at a red light right next to the Police Station, a cop from Stafford contacted him on the police radio.

“How come you didn't follow them to the crime scene?”

“I do not want to be too obvious, Celia, I mean I am the only Stafford cop investigating an incident that happened in Barnegat.”

“Yeah, well, don't worry, your time as a law enforcer is almost over, now get yourself over there immediately.”

After he turned around and arrived at what was obviously the crime scene, Officer Deemer turned off the car and opened the door while he continued to sit in the driver's seat. He looked at the stained blood that had dripped down from the trees in the front yard, onto the grass around it. He glanced back to the street lined with police cars and noticed the absence of those who answered the call. He then got out of the car and found shattered glass where each of the windows used to be and as he walked up to the house. The blood on the doorknob had gone unnoticed until he went to walk inside.

After seeing the condition of the house from outside, Officer Deemer's hope of finding the other officers had dwindled, but he still went in to check it out. As he quietly shut the door all of the light bulbs burst into flames. The officer took out his flashlight and proceeded to look around the house. As soon as he walked out and closed the door, Officer Deemer suddenly heard a crackling noise coming from the police radio. Paying no mind to it, he proceeded to look around the house, but wasn’t able to find anyone. When he left the house, Officer Deemer punched the window inside the door and threw down his badge.

Several weeks after that, the population in Bayville Township began to decrease in massive numbers in the span of a day. At first, people had their heads blown off in the middle of the night and ever since then, the grass and sidewalks were painted with blood. Although these crimes are being blamed on those who were found standing over the victims with a gun in their hands, all of them said they were innocent. For obvious reasons, the police were not about to believe them, however, just four days later, the police found them lying dead in their cells. Some of them were found with just half of a body while others had their skin completely stripped from the bones. Once again the police were left with no one to question for these inhuman crimes.