Down north | Teen Ink

Down north

By williamg, West Linn, Oregon
williamg, West Linn, Oregon

Author's note:

Onlystarted this becuase I was assinged it but I got involved with the characters and the story I am porud to say that I have written a succesful novel.

The room was absolutely quiet. Only the humming of the air conditioning disrupted this. The tiles were a dark shade of gray, contributing to its already drab state. There was only a single light bulb above my head, swaying along with the wind coming from air conditioning, flickering every once in a while, leaving the room dark.

I didn’t like the dark. I didn’t like this loneliness. But damn, guess it beat being with that damn thing. It’s already taken so much from me… what else could it possibly want from me! I’ve already laid down so much, yet it just keeps coming back for more. I’ve given it my dog, my sanity, what else? What’s to come next? I looked left and right, hoping to find the answer, but the only response I got was the humming from the air conditioner and the yelling from outside my door.

They were arguing again. Figuring out what to do with me, surely. I wished he wouldn’t come in here, to just let me stay in here a little longer. Maybe if the door stayed shut, I would be safe, right? But I wouldn’t get this wish.

The door swung open so fiercely I thought it was going to break off from its hinges. I could see the detective’s hands, he was trying to stay calm, but his hands were shaking. I wasn’t sure if he was scared of me or my story. Probably a little bit of both.  He takes a deep breath and finally speaks.

“Alright Dean,I-I need you to tell us what happened… what happened down north”

He says stammering from the fear of me, or the fact that thing hot on my trail. More than likely both. I just look him in the eye and say nothing. He takes a deep breath to regain his composure. And looks me dead in the eye and says the question in a completely different tone as he straightens his back and clears his throat.

“Mr.Albarn, We all understand that you do not wish to talk about this matter however, There we dozens of civilian casualties and your the only survivor at every scene. The cabin, the hospital, the woods. We need you to help us so that we can help not only you but many others. Sir, please.”

He has a point. If we can get rid of this thing I may finally have some inner peace. “Alright. I’ll start from the beginning” I calmly say.

“Sir, you have no idea how much this means to us”

He takes out a small yellow notepad and black ballpoint pen is ready to write. Like a student anxiously waiting to take notes for his class. But before I could begin I’m interrupted by distant gunshots and screaming. It’s hear. Damn it I knew it wouldn’t take long before that THING got here. I begin to panic and stand up and begin to shake. “We need to leave. NOW. That.. that damn thing is here. He’ll kill everyone.” The detective stands up as well and pulls out his 44. Magnum and asks me stay in the room before frantically leaving and slamming the door behind him. I am once again left alone in the dark. Before I hear a slam against the door shaking the light bulb above me until it falls off and breaks against the table. I am left in complete darkness. I only hear the quiet hum of air conditioner. Until I hear a long quiet whistle and the door slowly opening.