The Eyes | Teen Ink

The Eyes

April 23, 2018
By CrissyJ1359, Washington, District of Columbia
More by this author
CrissyJ1359, Washington, District Of Columbia
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

This is my first time submitting my work so please be honest and tell me what you think

The small, delicate raindrops turn into a raging storm within a few minutes of my jog while each and every step I take results in the rain soaking me even further. I huff out a large breath watching the warmth of it mix with the freezing air of the outside, converting it into smoke dissipating into the cloudy afternoon. Starting to shiver I struggle to keep my pace until I see my house a few feet away from me. Smiling I skip a few steps to get to my porch quietly cursing at myself for leaving the light on in my kitchen. I fumble with the keys nearly dropping them into the potted plant that I had left outside seeing as though it was going to rain. I hear a slight click of the door, but I still find it difficult to open the door realizing at the last second that I turned the key the wrong way. Since I had moved to Seattle from Texas I still had some trouble twisting the house key the correct way. I turn the key the other way and open the door and move the heavy pot back inside of the house so that my plant doesn’t die.
“Hey, baby! How are you?!” I said enthusiastically to my black and white husky as she jumps excitedly onto my thighs nearly knocking me over in the process. Her icy yet beautiful blue eyes stare deep into my hazel ones from the living room begging for her dinner. Watching her eager expression grow I start to inch my way closer to the kitchen, my laugh filling the room. Filling Misha’s bowl with her favorite dry dog food I start to make faces at her before filling the second bowl with water, “Chow time Misha!” I call out as she basically runs over to me her nails clicking on the wooden floor. I sighed shaking my head, my soaked auburn curls moving along with the motions. Small drops of water spring from the tips of my curls slightly wetting the floor making a small mess that I would have to clean up.
I slowly make my way toward the living room. I listen to the sounds of my dog lapping up her water and the heavy sound of raindrops on the roof while everything else in the house was completely silent. Plopping onto my crimson leather couch I start to debate whether or not to eat a salad while I click on the television. “Lightning storm watch from 5pm-10pm: Please be cautious when outside.” The white bolded words flash across the screen. Since I had gotten home I had completely forgotten to dry off, realizing my mistake I had jumped off the couch and sprinted up the shag carpet covered stairs softening my steps from the hardwood underneath. I walk into my room looking for my favorite plush crimson bathrobe that was hanging on the back of my door. I groan in frustration seeing a small portion of it peeking for under the bed.
“Damn it, Misha!” Cursing the dog under my breath I hear Misha dashing up the steps trying to rush to my side. Her wet, rough tongue laps at my face each stroke makes my cheek soaked in dog slobber. Laughing I try to push her away, “Misha cut it out! Now I really need to take a shower.” As I stretch to my full height, which if you ask me isn’t that tall due to the fact that I am 5 feet and 5 inches, I take of my shoes and easily take of my socks. I continue to peel off my leggings as well as my shirt leaving me in my black sports bra and underwear. Sighing I walked over to the closet grabbing my aqua bathrobe, wrapping myself in the warmth of the object. Misha whines loudly while tugging on the edge of my robe, “Misha? What is it, girl?” I take a few steps closer to the bathroom to test her reaction in which Misha sprints in front of me growling viciously at the door.
Backing away from the bathroom, I quietly call Misha out of the bedroom and close the door and type in an emergency code to lock it from the outside and break off the doorknob for good measure. “Misha… Go hide and wait for Mommy okay?” Misha looks at me with a desperate look as if telling me to come with her knowing that I only use the word “Mommy” when something’s wrong. Hesitantly, I pet Misha’s head and motioned her away to another room down the hall while praying at the same time that she is safe. Quick and quiet footsteps are heard from the basement as I move toward the small, wooden dresser my footsteps barely making a sound. Opening the middle left drawer my hand touches the cool, smooth metal of a loaded pistol, I spin to face the man quickly c***ing the gun. I point it at him with the barrel aimed at his chest, my finger ready to pull the trigger.
A man about a foot taller than me is standing there a handgun at the ready, “Looks like we can call it even, huh?” His voice calm yet playful, not even worried that there is a chance that he could die right here and now. A smirk tugged at his lips as I hold the gun tighter, my knuckles white as my heart beats louder with anticipation.
“If I were you I wouldn’t be smiling pretty boy,” my voice menacing and thick with anger. “Now tell me who the hell are you and what are you doing here?” His pale green eyes flickered between me and the hallway. Within seconds another pistol is out and pointed at the figure directly behind me. This time a smirk tugs at my lips, “Now I am getting ahead of myself here and if either of you guys doesn’t want to get shot I suggest you start talking.” My smirk fades as gunfire rings out as the man to my left screams in pain clutching his shoulder, dropping his gun. With my gun still aimed at the man in front of me, I walk over to the gun the man had dropped, kicking down the hall for good measure.
“Now, Sweetheart no need for violence. We were sent here to… collect something.” His pale green eyes flare with something I can’t quite place. In one swift motion, I am pinned to the wall both guns knocked out of my hands. “Don’t worry, Sweetheart! We were given specific orders not to kill you.” His smirk disappears while he howls in pain as I bring my knee up to his crotch full force. Releasing my wrists he groans in pain as I sprint down the hallway and quickly punch in a code to the safe room Misha had entered not less than 10 minutes ago.
“Misha? You in here girl?” Misha gives a small yip in reply as I flick on the lights. Misha jumps onto my lap as her rough tongue strokes my cheek. “Thank God they didn’t hurt you, baby! I would have killed them if they did!” She nuzzles my hand trying to get me to pet her head. Loud banging comes from the outside as well as very faint groaning.
“Let me in! I know you’re in there so you might as well come out!” His voice still a bit hoarse from the previous injury that I had given. I laugh knowing that there is no way in here without knowing the passcode and even if it is broken it triggers a response to the cops.
“The police are already on their way so you might as well gi--” A loud bang comes from inside the room as I see a man covered in dust move to his feet from the large air vent. My eyes widen as I move to get back up, but it’s too late. The barrel of his gun is aimed directly at my chest, everything moves in slow motion as Misha’s teeth sink into the man’s thigh, his gun no longer on me but on Misha. The man cries out in pain about to pull the trigger my eyes widen, raising my hands in surrender not wanting him to harm Misha...or worse.
“Okay! Please don't hurt her I will do what you want!” His eyes that were once locked on Misha are now on me. Looking to Misha, her mouth and parts of her fur stained with the warm liquid. Letting go of the man's thigh reveals a nasty bite oozing the thick, crimson liquid. Misha quickly moves towards me standing guard, protecting me at the cost of possibly her own life.
“Damn mutt! You’ll pay for that!” He snarls through clenched teeth, with his one good leg he lunges toward me hoping to gain an advantage due to his size and strength. Luckily, Misha acted fast biting down on my robe, basically dragging me out of the way. I open the door not even thinking about the two pissed off men waiting on the other side. I mutter a curse trying to find a way out but eventually give up due to the sickly sweet scent that filled my senses.
“Chloroform.” I slur, slowly losing consciousness while my vision fades to black.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.