Brave-Bow Sideshow | Teen Ink

Brave-Bow Sideshow

Walking into that room it was clear that something went terribly wrong. A man had gone missing, but his blood was found on the wall of his room, and it spelled out his boss's name. The man was Timothy M. Wise, Wise Guy to the few that would call him a friend. Timothy tended to be more reclusive than most, he spent a majority of his life researching for his pharmaceutical company. Extremely invested in his work, it seems that he had no social life outside of his wife and small group of gambling buddies from work. At least, that’s what the wife told me. Seeing as how important his work seems to be to him, and as how that’s the only real lead I have so far, I decided to head on up to Brave-Bow Pharmaceuticals to see why Mrs. Brave had her name in blood on that wall.
Mrs. Brave, although now the only CEO, was once a Co CEO with Mrs. Johanson Bow (hence the name Brave-Bow), but upon Mrs. Bow’s apparent suicide she became the sole owner of the company. Mrs. Brave was actually a prime suspect were the suicide ever to be discovered to be a homicide, but no evidence to support that possibility had ever been found. Similarly to the Johanson Bow case, Mrs. Brave seems to have no clue where Mr Wise could have gone. She at least points me to where his office is so might find something there.
His office barely has anything in it, a few books on molecular polarity and enzyme structure are scattered across his desk, but his drawers are incredibly empty for a man who is supposed to have spent most of his life working here. The only thing of note seems to be the gun I just found strapped under his chair. Was he expecting to need this soon? There also seems to be a red pill bottle under his desk as well, half full of strange looking pills. I grab the bottle and decide to ask around to see if someone can tell me what they are.
I head down to the company’s main lab with pills in tow to see if any of these PhDs can help me out. One of the head technicians tells me the shape of the pills is purposefully odd for experimental drugs, so you don’t accidentally mistake them for good pills in the dark or something like that. By the label on the pill bottle, he guessed that it was something that our missing person was probably working on, as it had his lab code on it. I thanked the man and decided to head back to the missing’s house, maybe I might find more gus and fun than I initially thought today. On my way out I couldn’t help but overhear one incredibly happy individual saying he wouldn’t have to worry about paying off his gambling debt to some Guy anymore. But before I got a chance to question him I got a phone call from the chief of police, that missing person just turned up as a dead body floating on a river, with a bullet through his head. I immediately rushed down to the station to see what condition the body was in. Other than the obvious head trauma, there was another hole through his hand, which would seem to be how Mrs. Brave ended up on the deceased’s wall. But how did this man die? Who would cut a hole in a man’s hand, allow him to write something out in blood on a wall, take him to a river and then shoot him (Couldn’t have been shot at home, only blood was on the wall)? It just seems so needlessly complex. To make the matter more complicated, my mortician friend isn’t entirely sure that this man died from the hole in his head either, he said he’ll have a definite cause of death later this afternoon.
It could only be the wife, the boss, or one of his gambling friends. Who else would want to kill him? The wife seemed to be more angry that he dies than sad, did she still love him? Or did she resent him for neglecting her for his work? Why did Timothy feel the need to keep a gun in his office? Were the rumors about an employee finding the truth about Mrs. Brave really true? Or was it just that a gambling buddy didn’t want to pay up? None of those options seemed possible, given the brutal way in which he must have died, except maybe Mrs. Brave killing out of revenge, but then why would she allow him to write her name on the wall? No it couldn’t have been her, the wife has a clear alibi about being out of town with family the whole time before his disappearance, so maybe a drunk gambling friend might be to blame. I rushed back to Brave-Bow Pharmaceuticals to talk to that man I heard bragging about not having to pay “some guy” maybe or maybe Timothy Wise “Guy.” When I introduced myself as a detective, surprisingly he told me “Oh, you’re who that Wise Guy was talking about, here take these, he said to give ‘em to you once you found me.” He handed me a stack of papers that seemingly proved that Mrs. Brave killed Mrs. Bow beyond a shadow of a doubt, and also a note that simply said “the bottle should be half empty, I’ve had enough of this after all.” A few minutes later I got a phone call saying that Timothy had been poisoned before getting shot. A gun and a bloodied knife were also found a few days later with Mr. Wise’s prints on it next to the river where his corpse apparently floated away.