You Can't Hide | Teen Ink

You Can't Hide

By Dillpop1127, Clear Lake, Wisconsin
Dillpop1127, Clear Lake, Wisconsin

Tell me if you want more chapters...

You can’t hide.

It was 7:50 A.M., Friday the thirteenth of October at Shiv High School. The temperature outside was 30 degrees, a more chilly day for October. The school was massive with great architecture including swirling stairwells, the roman arches, and many different rooms nobody ever bothered to use.  Everyone was in the commons conversing and telling jokes waiting for the first bell to ring for class.
All of a sudden, the lights went out and the principal came over the loud speaker and said, “Attention students there has been an interference with the school power supply. We are not sure what the cause of this is but for your personal safety please move down to the locker rooms for lockdown procedure.”
I was fifteen years old, a sophomore at the time, when this all started. I had short black hair with brown eyes. I was a skinnier type of guy, however not too skinny for it to be too noticeable. My name is Fred Jibbles and this is my story about the demon inside the school.
We continued to move to the locker rooms. My friend Sam was right beside me and he was texting his girlfriend frantically about the whole situation. He looked up with a dark gleaming look in his deep green eyes. He turned his freckled face and looked at me and with a soft voice and said, “We need to get out of here. We can’t go into the locker rooms I have a bad feeling about this.”
I looked around debating on whether that was a good idea. If we got caught we would be in trouble but his idea didn’t sound so bad. If there was an armed gunman in the school they would go to the place where everyone was to hold them hostage. It was common knowledge if you asked me. I looked around glancing for possible locations to branch off.
Sam said, “Fred! The room over there. We’ve never been in there, let’s check it out.” He was pointing to a room with a rusty doorknob that looked like it could fall off if anyone tried to open it. The door was covered with graffiti from the freshmen. The room was off to the side by the music room, in a separate hallway from the rest of the crowd.
I said, “Okay Sam, on the count of three we dash towards the door. One. Two. Three.” We sprinted leaving the rest of the crowd to go to the locker rooms. We got to the door about two-hundred feet from where we were standing. Sam opened it and we tucked ourselves inside.
There was a gloomy feeling in that tight room. The only thing we could see was the light from under the door and the light from a small peek hole in the center of the door. Sam took out his phone and turned his flashlight on. The first thing I saw was a stack of different religious bibles on a shelf. There were cobwebs in the corners of the ceiling and everything was covered in dust.
I said, “I think I saw a light-switch over there Sam.” I pointed to a dangling string that dropped from the top of the ceiling next to the shelf of bibles. Sam snuck over to the string watching his surroundings like a cat that would pounce on a mouse. He grabbed the string and pulled it. Lights illuminated throughout the dusty room.
“Wait,” I said. “I thought the power supply was cut off completely.
“I don’t know maybe they are run by batteries,” said Sam in an exhausted voice. It hadn’t been long since we had ran. “I’m going to lock the door.”
Sam walked over to the door and clicked all three locks into place. There was the main door-knob lock, the dead bolt, and the type of lock that was found in hotel rooms to only let the door open a little bit. As soon as he locked all of the locks there was a knock at the door.
We froze in dead silence. I walked over and turned the lights off. I slowly crept up to the peek hole and looked into it. I shivered with fear and my legs trembled. When I looked into the peek hole I will never forget the red eye I saw staring back at me. It looked like no eye I had ever seen before. Its pupil was small and oval shaped. There were red veins that branched off into the corners of the bloodshot eye. The pupil moved back and forth in jerky motions and stared into my eye. Every time it blinked, I let out a faint gasp. I barely choked a few words out to Sam.
“Sam,” I choked. “You have to see this.” As Sam looked into the peek hole he had a confused look on his face.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said.
“You gotta believe me!” I exclaimed with anger and frustration. “It was right there in front of me!”
“What was right there?”
“A red gleaming eye!”
“Huh. And pigs can fly,” said Sam with disbelief.
“I said with irritation, “It doesn’t matter. Let’s just keep exploring this room.”
We turned the light back on and began to look at the antiques and knick-knacks in the room. I turned toward an ancient globe and began to inspect it. As I picked it up I heard a loud squeaking noise and I dropped the globe as a huge, ugly, snake tailed rat came barreling out from underneath my feet. I looked on the ground and noticed the globe had cracked open and there was a map inside that faintly read “Shiv High School ritual and spirit cells.” I looked up at Sam in amazement as my jaw was dropped to the floor.
“Sammy boy,” I said with an, I was right and you were wrong kind of a voice. “It was a demon after all.”
Sam looked at me and said, “Give me that,” with a disbelieving voice. He glanced over it like he was playing an intense game of flappy birds on his phone. “Well this means nothing.” he said. “Demons are the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard of.”
I said, “Maybe we should check it out.” in a spooky voice.
“Or,” said Sam, “maybe we don’t and just stay here until we know it’s all safe and sound.”
“You’re not scared are you?” I asked.
“What. No, I just think it’s a waste of our time.”
“Well if we have this much time to spare, then we might as well check these places out.”
“Well, um,” said Sam hesitantly, “okay fine but only one site and then we head back to our safe place.”
“Okay, just try not to make any noise as we move through the hall or the demons might get us.” I flailed up my hand into Sam’s face as I said that. He let out a huge gasp and flailed his hands up.
“That’s not funny!” shouted Sam. “I’m not scared of a demon that doesn’t exist.”
I slowly unlocked the four rusty locks, opened the door and peered my head out. The only thing I saw was a small window, and a single flickering light that never flickered before.
“Ladies first,” I said to Sam.
“Yeah like you should be talking,” he said with a half laugh and a smirk.
We made our way out into the hallway and looked at the map. The nearest site for the demon cells were in the locker room. I gulped and looked at Sam with wide eyes.
I said, “Well we’re going to the locker rooms.”
We said nothing as we took very slow and small shaky steps toward the hallway in which we had come through. I peered my head over to the door of the locker room. It had a note on the door but I couldn’t quite make out what it read. I got up closer to the door and realized that the note was written in blood. It read, you’re next.