Pieces Of Me | Teen Ink

Pieces Of Me

November 2, 2017
By WriterGuy, Western Cape, Other
More by this author
WriterGuy, Western Cape, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare.


Author's note:

It's just a story I'm writing for fun. Haters gonna hate. ;)

The author's comments:

Hey Guys!
Kudos for all you awesome people for reading, if you like it, please leave a comment, if you have an idea, send me a private message 
And please follow me!

Peace! 

Everyone was staring.

No, not at the cute blonde on my left, that always seemed to get the guy she wanted, while making him have the perfect qualities for a dream boyfriend and then dumping him.

Not at the studious looking ginger on my right, who always got straight A's in her classes, and could balance a life of popularity, and integrity all together.

Not at the sexy indian dark hair behind me, who could go at least a month before anyone figured out she's actually indian, not just tanned.

Not at the short-but-still-a-model type of platinum blonde girl in front of me, who always tended to have the newest Iphone, even though it hasn't even come out yet.

No, they were staring at ME.

Little, ol Jessica Devont.

I knew everyone was judging me.

The difference between girls and guys: Girls are more of a silent judge of character, while guys' mouthes are in sync with their thoughts.

I brushed the thought away, messing with the french braid I've spent nearly an hour on, accidently making it loose and exposing my waves.

"Come on, girls." Ashley said, pulling me in the direction of the nearest bathroom.

"Ugh, don't mind them, Jess." Ashley said once we were inside. "Yeah, I for one, like your dress." Emily chiped in.

I looked down. Maybe the dress was too childish? Too mature? Too tight? Too loose? Too short? Too long?

Too right-off-the-rack-from-Erika's-fashion-line?

I winced at the thought.

"I don't know, did you pick that yourself?" Gabby replied nastily and blew my thought bubble away.

"Girl!" Ashley whispered. Clearly trying to get her attention to building up my confidence, not tearing it down.

I looked in the mirror. My face was bright red. Not from inexpertly putting on make up , I might add.

The dress was a sparkly silver off-the- shoulder number with a cute belt that made the bottom half sit just about right.

I absolutely did not know what was wrong. Then again, I absolutely did not know what was RIGHT either.

I didn't know a thing about fashion. Not that I could tell them that.

The room fell silent. The only sound was Lexi's phone making all sorts of who-knows-what noises.

She's hardly said a word to me on the car ride here. Even when Emily and Gabby were arguing about who looks cuter in their dresses. Classic Lexi.

I shook my head and turned back to Emily. Her and Gabby' s matching purple mini's were clashing. That I knew.

Whilst shielding my eyes against the horrendous clash of colour I saw before me, I shrugged, "Let's just forget about it, I need to find Justin anyway."

And with that I turned around and headed out the door.

"Um, Jess, I think you should-" was all I heard behind me before one of Sabrina Carpenter's newest songs began playing.

I quietly sang along, making my way to the snack table.

At least most people seemed to have gotten interested in the table tennis tournament that started.

"Hey, you!" I turned around immediately, at the sound of my name. In a new town, as the new girl, it's hard for anyone to know your name. I just went with it.

The girl had auburn hair, cut into a long wavy ombre, probably a sophmore or older, I thought. Everything about her seemed superficial.

She definitely had work done.

"I like your dress, did you get it from a dumpster?" she asked. "Like you've got something better to wear." I simply replied and went back to selecting a drink.

The girl had a confused look on her face. I could see her two brain cells were collapsing in thought.

She flipped her hair at me, like my response was water from a duck's back. She hopped away, probably to makeout with one of her many boyfriends.

I just giggled, giving myself a pat on the back for the sassy response. I'm so awesome.

My phone beeped. Maybe it was Justin, I thought, since I was dumb enough to give him MY number, not ask for HIS.

"Watch your back hon!" read the text. Weird, that was the second message I got from an anonymous source.

I brushed the thought away, and tried to choose between what to eat. Cupcakes, cake, cookies, chips, decisions, decisions.

I pulled out my phone, again. A couple of missed calls from Emily, I probably didn't hear it while I was talking to that insufferable cheerleader of satan.

"Hey, you." a voice said behind me. Like I said, no one knew my name.

I turned around, locking eyes with a mysterious boy. Oddly he seemed very familiar. "Hi..." I said slowly, wondering if I knew him from somewhere.

"Like the party? It's really uhh..." he said shyly. It was kind of cute, I thought for a second before regretting it. I liked Justin, that was all that mattered.

"Yeah, it's great." I managed to choke out. A total lie. "I'm Ethan, are you new?" he asked, sounding concerned.

I shook my head, "Unfortunately, I just moved here, I'm Jessica."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you Jessica." he said in monotone. I couldn't really make out between the loud music.

Was his intensions good or bad? Friendly or romantic? Not that I minded...

"Snap out of it!" I told myself. I guess I was thinking too long, since Ethan cleared his throat awkwardly, turned around and mumbled, "Umm..."

"What?" I asked irritated for the fact that everyone seemed to have a problem with me that night.

In the corner of my eye I could see Ashley and the others running towards me, mouthing what-not.

"It's just, your dress..." he said quietly. "What about it?!" I snapped.

"Well, um... There's a hole and you see... Your butt's sticking out." he said quickly.

And with that my life was ruined.

I looked around and saw Emily mouthing as she was just a couple of feet away from me, some people blocking her path, "Your butt! "

Too little too late.

My heart raced.
My palms were sweating.
My face was fire hot.

As I bolted for the door.

The author's comments:

By the way, I'm a guy in case you didn't know so I tried to figure out what girls do, hopefully I got it right.

This was how it was gonna end.

Me sulking under my turquoise fluffy blanket on my bed with only my phone to keep me company.

I scrolled through instagram, wiping away the tears I received as soon as I got home.

I entered my room only minutes before, tearing up the dress whilst wearing.

It was designer and probably cost a fortune, but I didn't care.

I didn't care that Erika was probably gonna ground me until the end of time.

I didn't care that Justin stood me up.

I didn't care that I was gonna be a starting freshman on Monday morning.

All I cared about was all the booty shots people were posting about me.

Every one of them was worse than the last.

I. Looked. Like. A. Slut.

I literally trashed my reputation before anyone actually had a say in it.

A soft knock came from my door. "Go away." I mumbled, throwing my pillow to the door hopelessly.

Hope peeked in. She was eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream, whilst asking, "Did something happen?"

"What do you think?" I replied. I knew she was trying to help, but I seriously didn't need it. Not right now.

She stood by the door, a thinking expression forming on her face. That's Hope for you. Always thinking.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she asked awkwardly. I looked up. Being the confusing girl that I am, I didn't know how to answer that.

My phone buzzed. I quickly caught sight of an anonymous number calling me. I kind of hoped it was Justin...

"Justin?" I asked desperately into my phone. Stupid. Hope's eyes widened.

She suddenly made room for herself so that she could 'obliviously' listen in on our conversation.

Her hands made swaying motions, convincing me to go on.

"Hey, Jess." a clear voice said on the other line. It was Justin!

"I'm so sorry, I can't come to the party, my mom needs me to go with her to her doctor's appointment. I'm probably gonna be a while. " He said, sounding embarrassed.

"No, it's fine, really." said passive aggressive me.

"I just feel really bad, could we meet up again soon? I promise I'll make it up to you." I blushed.

Justin always had a way with words. Even though I met him yesterday.

I know, I'm crazy.

"Definitely, plus that party was a drag, you didn't miss anything major." I said.

"Except my butt being the next Kim Kardashian on social media." I added as an after thought.

After my heart felt goodbye, and Hope staring at me wide eyed, I hung up.

"So, what did he say?" she asked excitedly.

"Nothing major." I replied, squeezing my pillow tighter.

"Okay, what happened at that party?" she asked, desperately trying to figure out the source of my emotion.

I told her everything.

Cause that's what girls do.

They gossip.

Probably.

I even showed her the pictures, yes, I know, I'm pathetic.

But I did it for a good cause, sister bonding and stuff.

"What I can't understand is, mom made that dress, she's never made a mistake with a dress before, it was in mint condition." she finally said.

I looked her in the eyes, I knew she wasn't lying.

My face paled, "But that means..."

"The dress was tampered with." we said in unison.

The author's comments:

Hey Guys!

Yes, I left you on a love cliffhanger. Ugh.

If you want me to kill off all the love interests, just comment it. I really want to do it.

And if not, well, then still comment, you probably have something to say.

Byeeeeeeeeee!

 

I poked at my lasagna. This was probably the biggest meal I ate since I got here.

After the starter salad, we had escargot, followed by soup, followed by Beef Extravaganza, followed by my current meal.

Yup, just an average Sunday afternoon middle class meal.

I know, rich people are ridiculous.

I was currently thinking about the horror movie me and Hope watched last night. As if we weren't scared enough as it was.

"So, how's everyone doing?" Erika asked, all of a sudden, playing with the diamond bracelet she had on. Rich people.

"Well, if you must know, I have been practicing for the school play, you know, mom, since I'm the lead and all." said my know-it-all-b**** of a thirteen year old sister.

Stealing the spotlight, as always.

I may not have been here that long, but I'm an excellent judge of character.

"Mommy, daddy, yesterday I was in Wonderland, but then some eggs fell on my dress so I looked ugly, luckily Cinderella came and made me pretty and now I have to throw a tea party, but no one would come!" said my cute little sister, sobbing.

"It's okay, Emma. I'll come to your tea party." I said reassuringly.

She just glanced at me, saying, "You don't know how to use a teacup."

I sighed. Whe did being nice have to be so tiring?

"Emma, sweetie, don't be so mean to your sister." said Ryan, standing up for me.

"No, it's fine -" I started.

"Please, she's not my sister." Nikki said, interrupting me, once again.

"Nikki, totes not cool." Kayla said, wide eyed.

Tears started filling in my eyes.

Don't cry.

I sniffed.

"Nikki, apologize to Jessica right this instant." Erika said sternly.

"Um, I think I should go..." I said, standing up.

Erika looked shocked.

Nikki smiled for once in her life.

Hope stayed silent as usual.

"Thank you for the meal." I forced out a fake smile, and turned around, toward the corridor.

I quickly pulled out my phone, typing a message to the girls, whilst ignoring the rude whispers coming from the dining hall.

"Peppie's Pizza in 15, need to talk."

***

"So, what's wrong?" Emily asked, choosing an option on the menu.

Both Ashley and Gabby also showed up, I had no idea where Lexi was.

"I think my family hates me." I said softly.

There was an awkward silence, then Emily started to chuckle, Ashley started giggling and Gabby made a sound that couldn't be identified.

"We thought this was something serious." Ashley told me in between her laughs.

"It is!" I yelled. A deafening silence fell, and all eyes were on me.

"Um, Jess, I know you're new in the group, but we don't talk about 'personal' stuff, that's gross." Gabby said, applying lip gloss, again.

Suddenly, Lexi appeared, forcing her way into the booth.

"Like, what'd I miss?" she asked dismissively.

That. Was. It.

I ruined my reputation.

I made the most awful friends.

My family hated me for no apparent reason.

And the guy I thought I liked probably gossiped about me 24/7.

All in the same weekend!

"You know what..." I said, facing them all.

"If I'm not 'popular' material, then you fake b****es can find the next deperate girl to join your obnoxious crew." I blurted out.

I didn't regret it.

As I made my way to the door, I turned around, mimicking them, "Like, totes bye!"

And called a taxi.

I didn't want to go home, so I went to the only other shop I knew of.

Maybe I should just give up.

I could call Becky, leave New York for Australia, live a whole other life.

Yet, would that really make me happy?

The car came to a stop, slowly. I tipped the guy and climbed out onto the wet pavement.

It was pouring outside, as I quickly pulled the door open.

The Cafe smelled like croissants and pumpkin spice latte's.

Just the way I remebered it.

It would've been foolish to forget, I was only here a few days ago.

I walked to the counter, quickly regretting my choice to have come here.

The all-too-famous auburn haired b**** from the party was working here.

I silently moved to the second line, it was twice as long, but totally worth it.
"Hi, welcome to Pizza With A Side Of Coffee, how can I help you?" the barista asked me.

"Hi, can I have a mixed berry smoothie, with a blueberry muffin, please?" I asked, smiling.

She nodded thoughtfully, as I made my way to an open table.

I wanted to call Becky.

I wanted to end all of this lying.

I pulled my phone out of my hemingway bag, hesitating.

The screen flashed, I saw a text message from Hope.

"Jessie, please come home, you know you're my sister, even if it's just half. I miss you. :( "

Knowing someone cared about me, made me feel a whole lot better.

I stared at Becky's number for a minute, thinking if it would be the best choice.

I shook my head, burrying my phone deep inside my bag. Not today.

"Here you go, on the house." the barista said next to me, pointing out my order.

"No, I couldn't..." I started.

"Trust me, you look like you need it." she said, smiling.

"I'm Jessica." I said, raising a 'hello' hand.

"Bella." was her introduction.

And then she left me.

I smelled the sweet scent of the blueberry muffin, maybe this wasn't so bad.

"Can I have a vanilla latte with some cinnamon and extra wipped cream, please?"

I froze.

I knew that order, better yet, I knew that voice.

"Justin?" I asked, turning.

It was him. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.