The Beginning of an Adventure | Teen Ink

The Beginning of an Adventure

Author's note:

I had a lot of fun writing this.

Kollie was a small girl, only standing at around 5'5. She had long, beautiful, blonde hair and glasses. Her style consisted of worn out shirts and ripped jeans, the complete opposite of her best friend. Weston was man standing at 5'9, his dark brown hair usually heavily styled with gel. Kollie found it funny that despite keeping his appearance nice and clean, he had a tendency to leave things around and not clean up after himself. At the moment, they were both in Kollie's room, studying for an upcoming test that would occur after winter break. After a while of swapping notes and joking around, Weston spoke about a Christmas party his friend would be holding that night.
     "You know, we shouldn't just stay inside studying all break. We have time before the test. We should get out and do something!" He said quite enthusiastically.
     "Weston, we both know that I have trouble getting information to stick in my brain. If I want to pass I have to prepare. Not everyone can be an information sponge like you! She added the last sentence teasingly and Weston rolled his eyes.
     "Like I said, we have time before the test! You aren't going to fail if you take one day off. Listen, I have a friend that's holding a Christmas party at 9:00, let's take the night off and go!" He smirked and nudged Kollie with his elbow. She pushed him away and laughed a little.
     "I guess it wouldn’t hurt too much... and I wouldn't want to rob you of your break just because I want you to help me study. I guess I'll go, but you have to choose my outfit! I don't want to embarrass myself by showing up underdressed." Weston smiled brightly and put his hand on her shoulder.
     "I wouldn't have it any other way. To put it frankly your fashion sense is a bit... questionable." Kollie crossed her arms and moved away from him. She would have argued with him but she could help but agree. 
     "Geez, shut up! I only own maybe 2 fashionable outfits so I save them for special occasions!" Weston rolled his eyes and in retaliation she rolled her eyes mockingly. They both laughed for a bit before Weston got up and walked over to the closet.
     "I will put together the most beautiful outfit you have ever seen using only the things in this very closet." He smiled and began scanning the many shirts and jeans. "Hmmm..." It took him a while to find something he deemed acceptable, but in the end, he found a super old black crop top that Kollie's friend had bought her for her birthday and some slightly ripped up black jeans. He somehow also convinced her to wear her contacts instead of her glasses, which she hated. He also ended up doing some simple makeup on her, just to make the outfit stand out a bit more. Kollie looked stunning in the outfit he had picked out, it made her look a little more rebellious than she normally looked.
     After all was said and done, they hopped into Weston's car and he drove to his house to put on his "party clothes" which consisted of a black button up shirt and tan skinny jeans.
     By the time they had gotten to the party, it was around 9:30. They were a bit late but no one seemed to mind. Kollie followed close behind Weston until she started to feel a bit uneasy, as she usually did when in a huge crowd of people. She decided that she needed a little space and told Weston that she was going to get a glass of water. She wondered off and eventually found the kitchen, where she took a cup out of the cupboard and filled it with tap water. She went and leaned up against a wall for a bit, trying to avoid any prying eyes. The kitchen was a lot less chaotic which help significantly. She was simply minding her own business until a woman walked up next to her.
     "You look a bit sick love, are you alright?" The woman said with a smile. Kollie looked over at her and blushed a little. This woman was... overwhelmingly beautiful. There wasn’t a single flaw on her skin, her face was perfectly proportioned, her makeup was done to perfection, her outfit complimented her figure, and her jet black hair framed her face beautifully. Kollie stood, not saying anything for a few seconds before she seemed to break out of a trance.
     O-oh yea I'm fine! Just not used to crowded places like this I guess." The woman laughed lightly.
     "I totally get it, stuff like this isn't for everyone. If you want, I can take you upstairs so you can calm down a little." Kollie nodded.
     "I would love that, thank you so much!" She was a bit blinded by the woman's beauty, like some sort of spell had been cast over her. The woman led her upstairs to what seemed like someone's bedroom. The woman sat down on a couch and patted the seat next to her, motioning for Kollie to join her, which she did quickly.
     "Oh, how rude of me! I haven't asked your name!" The woman said, quite loudly.
     "It's not a problem! My name is Kollie, what's yours?" She smiled at the woman.
     "My name is Carmen, it's wonderful to meet you. She smiled back at Kollie and she blushes a bit, this is not how she imagined her night would go. 
     "Nice to meet you as well!" The room went silent for a few seconds when Kollie noticed something odd, Carmen's face looked like it was changing. She felt a chill go down her spine as it became more evident that Carmen's face was morphing quite grotesquely. She quickly got up off the couch in an attempt to get away, but Carmen's hand came quick to grab her wrist tightly.
     "Where are you going Kollie, I was having so much fun with you!" Her voice had begun to change as well, going from soft and sweet to grainy and deep. It sounded like she had swallowed nails, and unsettled Kollie to her core.
     She attempted to yank her arm free but it seemed like Carmen had gained immense strength. She looked back at her only to scream. Carmen's body had contorted to an inhuman shape, a bit like a spider. Spine-like things protruded from her back that seemed to act like legs. Her mouth was full of sharpened, poisonous looking teeth. She moves fast and pins Kollie to the closest wall. She tried to pry herself from the grotesque monster's grip, but to no avail. Tears began to stream down her cheeks as she thought about what was going to happen to her now. What was this thing? Why had it targeted her? Was she going to die? How had this night gone so wrong? It seemed like the monster was going to kill her until she heard the breaking of glass. Both the monster and Kollie whipped their heads to the direction of the noise. A window had broken and there was glass everywhere, but more importantly, a mysterious girl with a crossbow and throwing knifes was now in the room with them. The mysterious girl moved quickly and shot the monster straight in the head with the crossbow. Bright green blood splattered everywhere and the monster screamed, the girl used this opportunity to shove a throwing knife in the heart of it. Its body seemed to crumble and break apart as the screams grew louder and stopped just as quickly as they came.
     Kollie stood in awe for a moment before falling to the floor. Once she had gathered herself, she stood up to thank the girl who had just saved her life, but she was gone. She had no way of thanking her savior, or knowing what had just happened. She was hung up on it for weeks, but she told no one. It was an experience that she could never forget.