Life As Human Experiment | Teen Ink

Life As Human Experiment

February 1, 2017
By Carolinecottingham, Boise, Idaho
More by this author
Carolinecottingham, Boise, Idaho
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Make today so awesome yesterday gets jealous.


Chapter One: My Life
Life before the institution was great. We lived in a relatively large house out in the city. I went to school, kept my grades up, and had plenty of friends to hang out with.  My friends and I would always have a sleepover every Friday  after school. We would stay up all night and tell stories, drink soda, and eat popcorn, having a great time together.  One night we got bored with our usual ghost story telling and decided to go explore in the woods near my house. Little did we know that that was the worst idea we’d ever had--well at least it was for me and still is a living nightmare.
While we were in the woods one of my more adventurous friends and I saw a dim light glowing at the edge of some trees close to the back of the forest. The rest of my friends chickened out and waited at the other edge for us to come back. After a while of walking through the dark woods we came to a tree where the glow was brightest. Slowly we inched around the tree, I could tell that my friend was getting more scared by the minute, her hands shook uncontrollably behind her back, but I ignored it so I wouldn't have to be alone.  When we got around the tree we saw a tall slim figure walking towards us, my friend bolted at the sight of it but I stood my ground. That was probably the dumbest decision I’ve made in my entire life.

Chapter two: Waking Up
I don’t know how long I was asleep, but when I woke up, I was tied down to a bed and three big bright lights were shining down on different sections of my body. I looked around and noticed I was wearing a peach skinsuit and had multiple needles sticking out of my legs and arms. I felt two sticky things on my head and wires nestling throughout my hair. Looking up I saw a small screen behind me displaying green numbers and lines. I had no idea what that meant but was pulled out of my thoughts by a sharp pain in my left knee.
Looking down I saw someone in a hazmat suit slicing my knee open with a scalpel and wiping the blood away with a small blue cloth that was in their back pocket.  The person took a small clear tube and jammed into my open knee rocking a wave of pain through my entire body. I flinched and the person slapped me stinging my cheek with the rubber surgical glove covering their hands. 
Walking away from me they took the file and held it up to the light
“yep this is just what we need” they had said to the other people in the room.
I wish I knew what that meant and that I would be here for this long.  So that's the backstory and that's what's been my life for the best thirteen years of my life.  Now laying on the white sheets of the surgical bed wrists chained the headboard behind me.  My hair is matted and stuck to the pillow and my forehead. I try to blow the hair away but it doesn't move. The person comes back again and I see a glimpse of long brown hair behind her hazmat suit.” Excuse me” I say, “hello!”
“Please let me go please!”
Shut up she says shoving cloth through my mouth tying it around my neck.  I start to gag on the   She walks behind me and pushes a button suddenly I feel a small amount of pressure flowing into my knee I divert my eyes downwards and see some yellow fluid being pumped into my open kneecap.  Suddenly an intense feeling of sleepiness come over me and the last thing I see is the woman standing over me with a scalpel pulling my hair out of the way on my scalp, then everything goes black.cloth but when I see the look she gives me I stop instantly.  I crane my neck to see what they did to my knee but the nurse slams my head down onto the bed strapping it there with what feels like a leather belt. “Don’t you dare move” she growls as she fastens the last loop on the belt.

Chapter three: Reprogramed
After the surgery, my eyes were glazed over and my brain felt funny.  I tried to sit up but I found that I was strapped down to the bed wearing a skin colored mesh suit.  My hair is matted to my forehead and tickles the back of my neck.  The nurse looks over my face and tucks the hair behind my ear gently wiping the sweat off my brow. “ I’m sorry” I hear her whisper as she walks away shaking her head.
She looks back at me then walks out of the room the door swings shut behind her.  I try to yell at her but my voice won’t work and I lay there helplessly as the lights go out and I am encased in darkness.  I don’t sleep all night but listen to the noises of the institution I have been hoping to get out of all my life.  After what feels like years the lights turn on and It takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the lights directly above me.  I hear the doors creep open and footsteps click towards me.  The familiar beep of the screen behind me brings me out of a daze and I realize another day of experimentation is about to begin.  My hands shake as the nurse pushes my hair back and I feel a cold syrupy liquid soak into my scalp and run down the back of my neck, dripping onto the white tile floors.  After a while, I feel the coolness of water run through my hair.  “There that’s better” the nurse whispers so quietly I can barely hear her.
  “ why are you being nice to me? “ I ask her looking into her mask on her hazmat suit.
  “Be quiet” she sighs touching my lips with her gloved hand.
Suddenly I hear the door’s open and footsteps echo through the room coming towards my bed.
“ How is she?” a male voice says as another person joins the nurse at my side.
“She’s doing fine,” the nurse says reaching over to pat my arm, he swats it away with his hand and leads her over to a dimly lit corner.
“Look” I hear him whisper, “I know she’s your daughter but no physical contact with patients they are for work only.”
  daughter, the only word spinning in my head is  daughter. “She’s my mom?” I whisper to myself.
I hear them walk back over to me and I stare in my mom's eyes. They are emerald green and glassy, like marbles in a collection I had when I was little.  The memory makes me smile, but only for a minute. There is a sudden pounding on the table and I flinch from the sound. The sound of wheels scraping the floor comes close to my head and I see the doctor, a tall, muscular man with dark hair and thick framed glasses.  He pulls up a stool, It creaks as he sits on it, as though it could break at any moment.  I hear the clanking of metal the sound of elastic gloves snapping onto bare skin.suddenly a sharp poke erupts waves of pain through my temples and head. I stifle a scream shaking from the effort.  The woman pats my hand and wheels an IV drip to the side of my bed, sticking me with yet another needle, this time in my arm.  I stare at the tube dripping clear liquid into my body not knowing what is being injected into me.  All of a sudden I feel my bed move and then I black out

Chapter four: another hospital
When I wake up the room I’m in has blue walls and a white ceiling.  A single light bulb swings from a wire attached to the ceiling. Water spots dot the ceiling and footsteps echo through the halls. I move my head and find that I am not strapped down like the other hospital.swinging my legs over the side of the bed I walk shakily over to the door and look out the window.  The door is green and chipping, flakes of wood and paint whisper onto the ground like snowflakes onto the ground.  I grasp the cold metal door handle and twist the door open. It creaks on it hinges and echos through the empty hallway.  Looking both ways I put my hand on the wall, the wallpaper feels bumpy under my fingertips as I slowly make my way to the front of the hospital. I here footsteps behind me and jump around the corner smacking into a very short fat man huffing and puffing down the hallway clipboard under his arm, sweat gleaming on his forehead.  “What are you doing out of your room?” he screams breathing hot onion breath into my face.
I stumble backwards and smack the back of my head into the corner of the wall. Black creeps into the edges of my vision but I fight to stay conscious.  The man grabs my arms with his meaty hands and yanks me down the hallway back to my room.  He slams the door behind him and pushes me forcefully onto the bed. I struggle to up right myself and whirl my head around just in time to see him locking the door behind him,ring of keys jangling in his hands.

Chapter five: escape or so you thought
I sit bolt upright in bed.breathing heavily. I quickly register my surroundings “MOM”! I scream desperately “MOM!”
Suddenly a vision floods my mind. My mother wearing a white lab coat slumped,unmoving over a chair long clear syringe sticking out of the middle of  her spine.  And stand and run towards the door but fall and trip over my nightgown IV pole crashing to the ground with a clank.  “ wow some story” friends say huddled around me.
I stand up and look around I’m in my house in my own room and my mom and friends are sitting on the bed around me. “ what happened?” I say confused. “ what do you mean?” they say looking at me “you were telling us a really good scary story”.


THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.