The Possession of Mabel Paxton | Teen Ink

The Possession of Mabel Paxton

December 19, 2016
By Anonymous

Author's note:

This was a short story for an English class assignment. I honestly didn't think it was that good, but my student teacher saw otherwise. She told me I could possibly get it published, and I thought, why not start with this? I hope people can get a good scare out of this story and hope for more. 

The author's comments:

These chapters are short because it's a short story. 

Mabel Paxton walked down the hall to science class. She was busy thinking about the lab they were going to do. It was about the differences between sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. Her teacher had said the day before it was an interesting lab. She loved science. Suddenly, she felt two hands on her back, and she fell to the ground, all her papers flying out of her binder. She looked over her shoulder and saw Julie Larson sneering at her.
“Wow Mabel you’re such a klutz,” she laughed shrilly. Mabel sighed and began picking up her stuff. Before she could grab it, Julia snatched her copy of The Great Gatsby.
“Who actually reads this stuff?” she snorted before ripping the book in half.
Mabel gasped. “Julie! My grandma bought me that!” She was close to tears.
“Awe, is baby Mabel gonna cry?” Julie mocked.
As Mabel held back tears, she grabbed her stuff and ran off.   Julie’s piercing laugh echoed behind her. Ducking into the bathroom, she ran into a stall. Beginning to cry, Mabel tearfully examined the book. It was ripped beyond repair. Mabel cried harder. She was sick and tired of being pushed around by Julie. She had been abused one too many times. Suddenly, an idea came to her. Mabel decided she was going to contact her grandma, using a very special form of communication. Ouija Board. “I know this is dangerous, but I’m desperate.” She said to herself. “Besides, what could go wrong?” 

Mabel came home after school. Her parents were out that night for their anniversary. She got a candle and went upstairs to the attic.
“Let’s see. I know there’s an Ouija board around here somewhere,” She said to herself.
She dug around in some boxes until finally, she found it. She blew off the dust and set it down. She got two more candles from the kitchen and set them around the board. Hands shaking, she grabbed the planchette and put her hands on it correctly.
“Ann Cornelius, I invite you into my circle,” Mabel said in a steady and clear voice.  After a few moments, the room grew cold.
“Grandma? Are you there?” Mabel asked. The planchette didn’t move for a moment. Then it moved. It spelled out something. Mabel squinted.
  I  AM DANIEL.  Mabel sighed in disappointment. She was hoping for her grandma. How did she manage to contact someone else? She had watched other people do it and they did it on their first try! Contacting ghosts was tricky.
“Oh. Hi Daniel. I’m Mabel” She said glumly. The planchette spelled:
YOUR GRANDMOTHER SENT ME TO HELP YOU.
“She did?” Mabel perked up. “How did she know you?”
OLD FRIEND.
“Huh. She never mentioned you.” Mabel said.
STRANGE.
“Yes, very. Well, you see, my problem is the local bully at my school, Julie Larson.  She pushes me down, calls me names, and today she ripped my book! Gramma gave me that book right before she died, and it was the only thing I had left of her.” Mabel choked up.
HOW TERRIBLE!
Mabel nodded. “So can you help me?” She asked.
OF COURSE MABEL.
“Great!” She clapped.
BUT, NOT IN THE WAY YOU THINK.” Mabel looked confused.
“What do you mean Daniel?” She said slowly. Then, the planchette made a figure eight. It kept making figure eights, over and over. Mabel knew enough about Ouija boards to know that was NOT a good sign. Panicking, he tried to move the planchette to Goodbye but it was out of control. The planchette flew off the board and slammed into the wall, breaking the glass. A dark cloud rose out from the broken planchette and gravitated towards Mabel.
“What have I done?” Mabel whimpered, backing away. A feeling of doom overcame her. Suddenly, the cloud lunged towards Mabel and slammed into her. She blacked out.

The next morning, Mabel awoke. She walked zombie like to the kitchen. Her parents were already at work. Her mom left her a note that read, “I made you some breakfast. Kisses, Mom.”
Suddenly, Mabel let out a guttural growl. She slapped a hand over her mouth.
“What the..” She walked into the bathroom to wash her face. She gasped when she saw herself. Mabel was deathly pale, and it looked like she had a rash on her arms. Her eyes were glassy and she felt like she was constantly being touched. She had dark circles under her eyes.
“What did you do to me?” She whispered. Her mind was racing. “What the hell is going on? Why do I feel so different?” “Why-” Suddenly her body contorted and forced her to walk to her room.
When she got in, she stood stock still for a moment, then cackled.
“Julie, you're going down.” She said in a deep and scratchy voice.

Mabel stood in front of a row of unused lockers and smiled darkly, waiting for Julie. Sure enough, Julie sauntered up to Mabel. She did a double take.
“Whoa. You look even uglier than usual.” She smirked.
Mabel didn't say a word. She just continued to smile. Eventually Julie's c***y smile faltered.
“Hey. What's wrong with you?” She snapped her fingers in Mabel's face.
She bit at them. Julie jerked her hand away. “Dude! Mabel why did you do that?” She exclaimed.
“I’m not Mabel.” Mabel said.
Julie looked confused. “Huh?” She asked.
“I. Am. Daniel.” Then Mabel sprung towards Julie and wrapped her hands around Julie's neck. The teachers tried to help but Mabel would snap at them.
Finally, Julie died.
Daniel jumped out of Mabel. “Your welcome.” He said to her unconscious body before disappearing.

Mabel woke up and saw Julie’s limp body.
“J-Julie?” Her voice shook.
She poked Julie. Julie didn't stir.
“O-oh my god.” Mabel covered her mouth.
She lay back down and put her hands over her ears and just screamed.
She continued screaming. Mabel had just KILLED someone. She couldn't bear it.
She eventually stopped screaming, but she didn't even notice when she was put in a straitjacket and taken to a mental asylum. She didn't notice when they locked her into her room. She just stared ahead.
She never did get out of the asylum. No one really knew what came of her. Theories floated around. Some said she died. Some said she went with Lucifer.
But what really happened? That remains a mystery.


 

The author's comments:

This is a poem I wrote to go along with the story. 

Around, all around, darkness falls dead.
My dread grows as a sharp object  falls against my head.
It  wounds me, and my blood
drips on the ground.
In  my madness I feel like I'm bound,
while  my mind goes round and round.
Now alone, my soul has fell.
This is my hell. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.