The Exception | Teen Ink

The Exception

May 11, 2016
By Corvin, Okc, Oklahoma
More by this author
Corvin, Okc, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Full of twists and turns.

The author's comments:

Full story.


The Exception

"Hello, HELLO. JESUS I THINK. I THINK. OH MY GOD I THINK HE'S DEAD,”

8:07 Saturday:
"Oh my gawwdd. She dead forreal isnt she,” whispered Isleigh.
“No duh," said Paige with a slightly annoyed undertone.
“Well her face still on point," praised Isleigh.
“YASS BIH YAASS," agreed Karla as she approached the casket.
“Why are you so loud?" asked Paige as she checked her surroundings.
“I'm sorry. I don't usually do this and I'm tryna stay positive. Ya feel?" she said as she walked to the kitchen to make herself a drink.
“Aye, dios mio chica. Silencio para muerta,” Yesinia loudly whispered from across the room.  She was by the bar  talking to Julissa, the big headed one.
“You just as loud. Apologize,” said Julissa.
“Oh, sorry dead lady....I know these putas annoying,” yelled Yesinia.
            Everyone giggled. It was almost as if nothing had changed and Jenny hadn't died. But a lot was different and Jenny did die. Who knew one wrong turn and a pair of malfunctioning breaks could change everything. Oddly positive vibes flowed through the air masking the depression and grief. Poor Devon. He was suffering the most. No one should lose such an amazing mother at such a young age. He was only 15, but he was smarter than most 20 year olds. He sat in the furthest end of the couch with a scowl that screamed why me and why now. His dad on the other hand was taking quite a different route to mourn.
“Uhhunnn. No he didn't,” gasped Isleigh as everyone watched John and Allie descend from the stairs. Allie with a forced glow that could only come from one thing and John with a stumble and alcoholic scent one could  smell from a mile away.

Allie – Sunday:
              When the detective came in she introduced herself with half a mouth full of her daily smart water. With her was another detective that introduced himself as Kale. He didn't say much, but his presence could not be ignored.
“So you and the victim were intimately involved,” said the Sheriff.
“It wasn't like that, or at least not then,” Allie expressed in a slightly guilty demeanor.
“Then why were you upstairs,” asked Sherriff.
“I was looking at Jenny's book collection. It's really quite amazing ,” reminisced Allie.
“Really?" shouted Kale.
“Yes. Her and I would read together all the time. John came in to get away from the crowd downstairs. I can only imagine what it was like for him to have the woman he lo..,” she paused, " truly loved downstairs dead in a casket. We talked for a little while ,”
What were you all talking about?" asked Sherriff.

8:07 Saturday:
“John you’re drunk. You're grieving. I get it. But we are not about to do thi..,” said Allie as she slid from John’s grip.
“Shut up. You come in my house, you obey my rules,” pushed John.
“I’m going to act like you didn't just say that and leave,” said Allie.
SLAP. His hand swept across her face unrelentlessly and then proceeded to wrap around her throat. "these putas are annoying" rang from downstairs followed by giggles.
This isn't over. Walk. ,” he demanded.

Allie– Sunday:
“Nothing, we were just talking,” said Allie.
“Mmmmhmm. Then you won't mind explaining why your fingerprints were all over the murder weapon then?" asked Sherriff.
“Look, I was trying to help him. Trying to save him. If you want to put me in jail then go right ahead. But while you at it go head and turn in that badge cause this isn't the job for you. " sassed Allie.
Sherriff stared with a blank face.
“Look I loved John and there is simply no reason I would want to do anything to hurt him. " said Allie.

8:10 Saturday:
“At his wife's funeral? How sick can you be? I wish Target would,” exclaimed Paige," I'd hop out the grave so quick."
Devon left the room as if to avoid the inevitable confrontation.  He stormed upstairs brushing past his dad and his dad's mistress with tears strolling down his face. Once on steady ground, Allie split towards the casket while John walked towards the bar.

Julissa– Sunday:
“As I am sure you know, you were covered in his blood and your handprints were everywhere,” reminded Sheriff.
“For the third time, I ran in the room after hearing a loud thud.  When I opened the door his body was right in front of me. I tripped. And. And I landed on him. It was an accident. I even have a bruise from where the knife kneed me. "
“You sure thats what happened?" pressured Sherriff.
“Im pretty sure. Ask anyone,” said Julissa.
“So I hear you and the victim  had a conversation a few minutes before his death. What did you all talk about,” asked Sherriff.
“Nothing really. We just gave our condolences and tried to comfort each other best we could,” answered Julissa.
“We?" pushed Sherriff.
“Yes. Me, Yesinia and John,” answered Julissa.
“I hear John had a way with words. And not in a good way,” pushed Sherriff.
“Well if so, I never really experienced such. He was always a gentleman to me,” expressed Julissa.

8:14 Saturday:
When John approached the bar, Yesinia couldn't help her anger and disgust.
“You see what you did" interrogated Yesinia with intent of evoking guilt. "Tu cerdo, and at your wife's wake. YOUR WIFE'S WAKE!".
“Stop,” pleaded Julissa, "Can we just get along for a day, guys, for Jenny?"
“SHUT YO BIG HEADED SELF UP AND LET THE GIRL SPEAK HER MIND. Just cause you got a gigantic head don't mean you gotta have a gigantic mouth. Save it, Julissa. "

Yesinia– Sunday:
“Where were you the time of the incident,” asked Sherriff.
“I was out meeting my boyfriend, Vinny."
“Can he verify this?" asked Sherriff.
“Por supuesto!"
               "Ok, So the story is that you and old John had some beef with each other,” asked Sherriff as she sat in her chair with her fingers interlocked and arms hanging at the mercy of the arm rests. She crossed her legs and allowed her flat black shoes to gently scrap the concrete floor. She glared with melancholy and confidence.
                "Listen chica. I know you think cause me and ole boy had bad blood that I killed him but you wrong chica,” Yesinia waved her finger and shook her head, "We was cool that day cause Jenny died. I mean we fought and all but not to the point where I'd wanna,” she slid her finger across her throat.
“You sure? I hear he has said some pretty hurtful things to you in the past."
“And I heard my senior year would be easy, they lied chica. Me and ole boy are...were just fine."

8:16 Saturday
“HEY, don't you talk to julie like that you bastard. " exclaimed Yesinia.
“OR WHAT. You aint gon do shiish. " slurred John as he continued his drunken rant, " cause you know I'd call border patrol, send you back to mexxxco, vote for Trump, and help build the wall myself. Now make a real threat or keep it down. My wife’s sleep over there. "
Everyone stared as the shocking words flowed from his lips.
Still in awe, Paige spoke," She's dead you piece of .."
“Ummm,” Brandon lowly interjected," I have to pee."

Brandon– Sunday:
“So what were you doing in the house around 9:30 am?" questioned Sherriff in stale but kind voice.
“Nothing" Brandon replied.
“Nothing? Can you be more specific?" asked Sherriff.
“No"
Sherriff tapped her pen in the table in annoyance. "You have to give me more than that. "
“Anything helps,” stated Kale.
Brandon starred in with a fusion of confusion and calamity while he licked the chap from around his lips. Sherriff starred back impatiently. Minutes past.
“Ummm,” Brandon interjected abruptly, "I have to pee."
In true awe of the randomly purposed statement, Sheriff said the only thing she could think of. " “Okaaay,” as she gave a forced smile and led Brandon to the nearest restroom. 

8:16 Saturday
                        Everyone, now used to Brandon's odd outbursts, simply pointed up the stairs. He ran with an peculiar sway and bob up the stairs towards the restroom. The attention immediately returned to John and the aggressive, Allie tension resurfaced. Karla, still at the bar, had stopped cutting her limes for her drink.

Karla– Sunday:
“Traces of you hair were found all over his body, can you explain this?" wondered Sherriff.
“Ummmm it's hard for this inches not catch on to something, ya feel,”
“So you hair just magically attached itself to his body?" asked Sherriff.
“What can I say. I'm an attractive person. Ha. Ya get it? Ya get it?"
Sheriff glared unamused.
“Ya don't get it. "
“Did you and the victim get into any altercation that night that could have caused your hair to end up on him,” asked Sherriff.
“Lady, its hair. Chill. There a million ways it could have ended up on him."
“Well was there any altercation at all?" asked Sherriff.
“Nope"

8:18 Saturday:
              Karla waved the with knife with warning. "You need to chill, John,” warned Karla.
“And you need to make me another drink ese. You know where the Tequila is. Oh wait no you don't, CAUSE THIS IS MY DAMN HOUSE" screamed John as he threw his cup across the room.
              “Welp look at the time guys,” said Isleigh in the most sincerest way possible as she checked her invisible watch,"I betta get going".

Isleigh– Sunday:
“Look, we know this was a murder and we know someone in that house committed it,” Sheriff asked in a peaceful way even though her tone clearly conveyed her irritation.
“Well don't look at me,” defended Isleigh. 
“Duct tape tracing were found around the victims face. Do you find interesting that same was found on your clothing when we picked you up,” asked Sherriff.
“No. But I do find the doodles on your notes interesting." Her hand flew to her mouth. " “I'm sorry. I get sassy when I'm anxious"
                 Annoyed further and embarrassed that she had seen her side note sketches, Sherriff moved to the next question. "Did you and the victim have any issues with each other,” asked Sherriff.
“No not really. I mean, he wasn't perfect, but he was a decent dude. "

8:18 Saturday:
            Isleigh checked her imaginary watch with a smile and swiftly gathered her things.
“So yall just gon leave me here with that sack of skin?" exclaimed John.
Mrs.Tyler's mouth dropped to the floor. "Whooah" she said pushed towards the door.
“HEY!!" yelled John in a drunken rage,”WHERE.YOU.GOING."
“An AA meeting. You tryna come,” Isleigh cracked a smile but it quickly turned to an expression of fear as John ran to tackle her.  They hit the floor with a loud thud.
“Oh hell naw,” said Paige in a soft and gentle voice as she tied back her hair with an hair tie.

Paige– Sunday:
“I hated the wack job. He was stupid af,” bluntly stated Paige.
“What is “stupid af"?" asked Sheriff.
“Stupid. As. Fu.."
“WELLL THEN,” Sherriff interjected before the word could be finished. "Did you kill him,”
“What? No. When we found him, the very first thing I did was call the police.  I hated the guy but I felt bad for him. I mean his wife just died, now him.  I mean I wish it was him in the first place instead of my best friend of course, but I aint lay a finger on him"

8:21 Saturday:
                  Paige clutched her fist and swung with the force of a Jedi. John rose with unspeakable quickness and pushed Paige into the wall. Karla gripped her knife,and ran upstairs to get the landline and call 911.  Yesinia cracked her knuckles ready to swing,  Julissa gained momentum in her head ready to charge, and Allie cautiously grabbed a Yesiniak and began to fearfully mind her own business. Paige swung again striking John in the face. Allie, remembering the slap from earlier cheered in approval, but quickly returned to  her random novel and hid behind a random page. John raised his hand as to wind up for a punch when something happened. A man covered in and dirty gray overalls burst through the front door. Without even stopping to check the current situation, he head up the stairs with inhuman speed. Everyone dropped everything in confusion. Loud rustling came from the 2nd floor, and fearful expressions came from John's face. 

Everyone– Sunday:
“John ran up the stairs as soon as the dude came in,” said. Julissa.
“Who was he,” asked Sherriff as she stood over the group of recently apprehended and distraught suspects.
“We don't know,” shouted everyone almost simultaneously.
“And no one followed either John or this stranger up the stairs,” questioned Sherriff.
“No,” everyone replied.
“We was scared,” added Isleigh with a shaky voice, "and I like my life. "
“We heard yelling, and then the stranger came running down the stairs and out the door. That’s when we all went up there and saw John’s body,” explained Paige.
“I was in the room next door listening with everyone else, but I didn’t see anything,” Interjected Karla.

                    "So what you're telling me, is that last Saturday you all went to wake of your dear friend Mrs. Jenny. Correct?" Everyone nodded in agreement. "And while you all were there everything was fine and dandy. Even though John, a alcoholic known to be quite aggressive at times, had a blood alcohol count of 1.2 percent,” Everyone starred as if they didn't understand the question. "He didn't start anything?" Sherriff clarified. "There was no altercation, no fights, no arguments? Everyone was just sipping tea and eating tuna sandwiches right?"
“It was ham,” added Brandon unnecessarily.
Choosing to ignore the previous, she simply glared at the crowd unconvienced. “Okay, goodbyeee,” she said as she sent everyone home
“What are you doing?” asked Mr.Greens
“My job,” she replied, “They are obviously lying, but we have no proof. We need to watch them from a distance. And if anything, we can’t do anything until we find out who that “stranger” is. Something big happened in house, but I need more time.”
“Are you sure you need to be working this case,” sincerely asked Kale.
“Why would you say that,” she said.
“Well you did work the Jenny case,” he replied.
“That was a simple car crash. There is a possibility for a connection, but I doubt it,” she clarified.
  “I just don’t want this to be a conflict of interest and cloud your judgement,” worried Greens.
“Thanks, but I'm fine,” said Sherriff as she began to walk away. She made her back to her file covered desk and stared in distress when suddenly her assistant appeared behind her.
“Hey, Sherriff. There’s someone here who believes she can help out with the case,” informed the assistant. “She says she the Jenny’s neighbor”
Sherriff shot up with surprise. “Send her straight to me,” she demanded.
Barely any minutes passed before the witness appeared at her desk. She look young but scared. Sherriff rose to greet her,” Hi m I'm Sherriff, you?”
“I'm Damaris,” she answered.
“Shall we get a room,” asked Sherriff.
“NO,” answered Damaris quickly, “I want to remain anonymous. Look, I don’t even want to be here. I just came to tell you it was CJ,”
“Wait. What? Who is CJ,” pushed Sherriff.
“He’s the neighborhood mechanic. He and John are friends. I don’t know how, but I know he was there that day. He was in his work overalls and he was running. Look, here’s a statement,” she handed over a piece with all of the details she knew written down. “That’s everything me and my husband saw. It’s not much buts everything. I want to help, but I am not a part of this, nor do I want to be. I hope this helps,” She turned to rush out.
“WAIT,” exclaimed Sherriff. “Did you..did you see anyone else?” Sherriff asked nervously.
Damaris paused. “No, I don’t think so. I stopped looking after I saw him”
Sherriff released a Damarisp sigh. “Okay, Goodbyee,” Damaris turned and headed out. Sherriff unfolded the paper she was handed and read it with caution. Then she did the only thing she could do. She shredded it.
8:24 Saturday – What really happened:
                        The stranger came back downstairs after a couple of minutes and went straight to John. He held up an odd looking tool to John. He waved it with unrestrained anger as repeated "I can't believe you,” over and over.  The stranger rushed out of the house carrying the tool when a small thud came from the 2nd floor. John looked up and immediately ran up the stairs. Everyone waited behind wondering what going on when they heard Karla scream. Paige lead as everyone ran up the stairs. Turning the corner at the top of stairs, Paige stopped dead in her stride as she stared down the hall. Everyone gathered behind to see what it was she staring at.
At the end of the hall stood John facing inward towards his bedroom. In front of him stood Karla on the left and Brandon on the right, both with petrified expressions on their faces as the stared at John’s abdomen. As if in slow motion, John fell straight back revealing a knife sticking out his stomach and Devon standing right in front him with an angry scowl and an extended arm.
Everyone gasped. “It was him. It was him. He..HE KILLED HER “exclaimed Devon as he shook with anger. As everyone stood  still in shock. “HE USED CJ’S WRENCH TO REMOVE HER BREAK PADS. HE MADE HER CRASH. HE KILLED HER.”
“It’s true,” sighed Karla.
“Yea,” said Brandon.
                       Everyone was barely comprehending what was just explained when John came to his senses and started screaming. “HEEEEELLLLLLLLP,” Without even thinking about it Isleigh ran downstairs to kitchen and began searching for duck tape. When she found it she rushed back up stairs. John was trying his best to stand. “HOLD HIM,” demanded Isleigh. Karla unconsciously pressed his shoulders against the floor while Isleigh quickly wrapped the tape around his mouth to quiet the screaming. John reached up and grabbed a handful of Karla’s hair and pulled with the little strength he had left. Allie had had enough of seeing his abuse and ran over to his body. She wrapped her hands around the knife and pushed it Damarisper. John moaned in agony.
“STOPP,” screamed Yesinia. “ Aye dios mio, we can not be doing this.”
“mellp mee, melllp me,” muffled John.
                             Paige gradually stepped towards him. The thought of John killing Jenny might have seemed slightly foreign to the others, but all she needed was for someone to say it, and she would have no problem taking it as truth. She knelt down to his side. “Help you?” she sarcastically asked. He shook his head yes. “Look at him,” said Paige as she turned his duck tapped wrapped head towards Devon, who was now sitting on the bed shivering with grief of both what he had done and what John did. “ Normally I would help. I would call the ambulance. I would patch the wounds. I would comfort and care, but for you..you, I will make an exception,” She stared right into his eyes as the life oozed from body. He was dead.
  “HELLOOO” rang from downstairs. Everyone jumped with excruciating fear.  “HELLLOO,” Everyone remained silent. “Anyone here?” So scared, Julissa jumped and fell on top of John. He moaned his loudest as his blood gushed all over Julissa’s clothing. “Oh My God,” yelped Julissa. The sound of footsteps rushed up the stairs. Everyone froze as the source of the voice appeared. It was detective that had worked Jenny’s case coming to give her condolences. It was Sherriff.
“WHAT IS GOING ON,” she screamed as she hopped out of her normally nonchalant voice. “HANDS UP, EVERYBODY. NOW,” she demanded as she withdrew her gun. “ “SOMEONE BETTER EXPLAIN RIGHT NOW.”
“He killed her,” yelled Isleigh.
“And I killed him,” surrendered Devon. “Its me. It’s all my fault.”
“NO. It was me,” lied Julissa.
“No, I killed him,” said Allie
“NO IT WAS M..”
“STOP. Who killed who?” Asked Sherriff.
“He killed Jenny, then Towe.. then we killed him,” explained Karla trying her best to protect Devon.
                        Sherriff’s expression completely changed as she began to process the information. This wasn’t the first time she heard the theory that John killed Jenny. She was the first to suspect it, but she couldn’t prove it. It killed her knowing that evil people like John had the ability to get off with no repercussion while people like Devon suffered. She began to lower her gun. The air was stiff and everyone was still.
                    “Okay. Devon, did you stab him,” asked Sherriff. Devon shook his head yes. “ Okay. What all happened here,” she asked. Everyone explained at once. When everyone calmed down, Sherriff took some time to think. “Alright. Here is what we’re going to do,” She explained the plan and everyone listened to every single detail.
                       “Do everything I just said. I. WAS. NOT. HERE.  If anyone finds out I was here, its over and you all are going to jail.  You all never met me and you will act accordingly. Remember. Do and say everything I told you and you will be fine. Nothing happened here. Understand?” Everyone nodded. “Okay. When I leave, Paige, call it in. Alright. Goodbye,” She turned and rushed out of the house trying her best to leave unseen.
“Okay,” sighed Yesinia, “Yall ready” Everyone nodded. “Go,” she demanded.

9:02 Saturday:
“911, What’s your emergency?”
"Hello, HELLO. JESUS I THINK. I THINK. OH MY GOD I THINK HE'S DEAD."
The End

 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.