The Shadow | Teen Ink

The Shadow

March 10, 2016
By giannakozaczka, north aurora, Illinois
More by this author
giannakozaczka, North Aurora, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

A batavia Highschool student who enjoys writing. I am really interested in how the body acts when it is in sleep mode. When people go into sleep paralysis or they start lucid dreaming no one really knows what happens to you. This story kind of twists what you would think is just dreaming.

I’m sleeping but I feel awake. If I want to move my fingers, I can. If I want to get out of bed, I can. If I want to fly above my body and reach the end of space, I can.
Lucid dreaming has always been a skill of mine that I practiced. It has opened my mind to so many things. My family doesn’t exactly approve of my beliefs.  I live with a bunch of flaming catholics who think God is everything. I would agree there is a God, but, he sure as hell didn’t make Adam and Eve pop up out of thin air. Someone knows how we started somewhere but they're not on this planet. I guess you could say I believe in aliens. 
By now my minds been resting for about 90 minutes.  I feel like coming out of my body and roaming around my house for the night. I don’t lucid dream every night. When I do it’s always a good time. I pull myself out of my body using the rope I imagine and slowly start making my way out of my bed. I have a blue fuzzy pillow, mandala blanket and blue walls. I feel you should always have something calming in your room cause that’s your place of thought. Before leaving my room I turn around to see my body still laying in bed. My chest moving up and down with each breath I take.  There are times I get scared, that when I come back to my body I won’t be there anymore. It doesn’t scare me enough to make me stop though.
I turn back around and walk through my door. As soon as I reach the hallway my body floats up and I bang my head on the ceiling. “God damn,” I say as I try to concentrate on not floating through the ceiling and touching the night stars. I finally begin to control where I’m going and float to my brother’s room. I get to the edge of his bed and stare at him long and hard. Charlie, my brother, is the total opposite of me. He listens to my parents. I get in trouble at least 3 times a week. He has bushy blonde hair and blue eyes.  My eyes are dark brown, my pupils barely visible. As I stand at the end of the bed a water-like creature rises from Charlie's chest, immediately his eyelids started flickering as if they were trying to open. The creature made it’s way towards me. It squeezed itself inside of me, making my entire body cold.  Me and Charlie are connected by this floating watery substance. I wave my hand through the creature. It breaks apart and forms together like a magnetic gas. I walk closer to Charlie. Taking each step with a bit of hesitation. Now we're so close that I can feel his breath on my face. His eyelids are still shaking furiously... maybe he senses me or he’s having a bad dream. I touch his face and his eyes pop open. His face is immediately replaced by mine. I gasp and fall back onto the floor. Charlie's bed floats into total darkness and the walls and floor turn black. The watery figure disappearing into the darkness.
My heart was beating faster than it has in the past.  Nothing like this has ever happened to me. “Dylan you’re just dreaming. Calm down. Figure out what’s happening to you,” I tell myself. Instantly my heart stopped beating. I stood up and all the blackness turned to white, except for a black figure standing about 10 feet away from me. It started to walk towards me. I didn’t know what and who it was. There’s no way it could hurt me if I’m dreaming… or at least I hope this was true. The closer it got to me the faster my heart started beating. I tried to take a step back but I was frozen in place.  There was no budging. I feel a vibration of this shadow man as our noses almost touch. It’s chilled breath make the hairs on my arms stand up. My heart feels like it’s about to come out of my chest. Any thought of what I should do next left my mind. I pinned my eyes closed hoping this would solve the problem.
I still felt the uneven breath on my cheeks. I knew standing there with my eyes closed wasn’t going to fix anything. I slowly open my eyes to see Charlie standing over me while I lay back in my bed.  Hiis face just inches away from mine. His eyes look like two white moons staring deep into my soul. I let a scream out and he instantly fell onto my chest. His body started to tremble so I ran my finger against the small of his back. Charlie loves when I rub his back when he’s trying to sleep or not feel good. His little head lifted slowly and looked the other direction. “Where am I?” He said. He’s never sleep walked before, this was new.  I wasn’t sure if my mind would let me get out of bed and walk him back to his room. The darkness mocked me. “Charlie, you’re in my room,” My voice shook. I start to reach for his hair to sooth him but his head whipped around causing his neck to snap. His eyes were two black holes in his face now. “WHERE AM I?” His voice was now low and demonic. All I could think to do was run. I kicked Charlie across the room and crawled across my bed. My mind was working faster than my body. It caused me to stumble and fall to the floor. Charlie’s head just hung there his eyes just glaring at me. “Oh my god!” I turned around and crawled to my door. My knees burned from the rough carpet they were scraping against. I stood up and slammed the door behind me. I caught my breath and ran to my parent’s room. I slammed the door open.  They were gone.  It’s 3 a.m., where in the world could they have gone. I slammed my fist into the wall creating a hole. “S***,” I screamed my fist throbbing. I definitely just broke something.
I cradled my hand and ran across the hallway. My door was closed but I had a weird feeling I was being watched. I spun around completely and saw nothing. There was no one there. None that I could see with the naked eye. I ran to the staircase. I hoped the worn out wooden floors wouldn’t creak.  “Eeeeeerrrrr!” The floor growled from downstairs. I looked over the railing and saw my parents. Instead of running to give me a hug they were bent backwards charging at me on all fours. They had the same black eyes as Charlie. “Why me?” I thought before running. These next couple of seconds lasted a lifetime. I turned around and ran. I could hear the gallop of my parents behind me. There was no where to go but out my window at the end of the hallway. I jumped at the window and braced myself.
As I fell I could see my parents standing in the shattered window waving at me. The shards of glass cut my wrists and face. Charlie stepped into the window with my parents and then... blackness.
You know the feeling when you awake from a dream, and you're not sure what just happened and what’s reality. That happened to me. I feel the familiar fuzzy pillow under my head and a stinging along my wrists. My dry eyes pop open to be welcomed to my dark room. Everything seems to be perfectly in place but I still have the feeling as though someone is watching me. I turn the light on next to my bed. Deep red cuts smack me in the face. I touch the one closest to my vain and it starts gushing out blood.  I run to my bathroom and start to wrap all my cuts in a thick bandage. Tears fall from my eyes as I move up my arm. Charlie. My parents. I put away my bandage and make my way to their rooms. I feel my heart rate increase as I wonder what could possibly happen next. I walk up to their door and slowly open it peeking in my head just enough for my eyes to be seen. Their both spooning each other looking happy as ever. Words can’t even explain how relieved I feel. Now here’s the hard part. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to look at Charlie the same again. I come up to his door and take a couple deep breaths. My minds everywhere. I keep thinking of possible scenarios of what could happen but I won’t know until I look. I open the door to find Charlie laying in bed. Everything looked normal but his hand was extended onto his nightstand covering a folded up white slip of paper. I slowly walk towards Charlie and hesitate before grabbing it. I unfold the piece of paper and in a shiny silver writing there wrote “We Are Watching”.
No one knows who’s out there watching. It’s 3 years later since that Lucid Dream and I still don’t have the answer to what happened that night. The scars never left my body. I can’t sleep at night. Our higher power is stronger than we think, never doubt that. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.