Silence Kills | Teen Ink

Silence Kills

February 15, 2016
By Midnight1028 PLATINUM, SOUTH BELOIT, Illinois
More by this author
Midnight1028 PLATINUM, SOUTH BELOIT, Illinois
23 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Seek the non-see-ken and follow your own path for the right life."


“The sky looks dark, Damon,” I walk by the window and watch the pattern of the clouds. Seems like I have been talking to a wall every time I speak to Damon. The black shadow followed me into the other room, while Damon curls into a ball by the fire. I whistled for Damon to come, but he never showed. The shadow bounced back into the room with me.
“What am I?” I have always asked this question because the simple fact that my shadow is never behind me and there’s this black thing haunting me. I walk toward the “Shadow’s Door” as I call it and I open it. The room smelled gross, like a used cat litter box that hadn’t been cleaned for days. I walked toward the bed and notice something was there. I peeked over to what it was, but the smell was so bad that I had to leave right away.
“Damon, come here boy,” I called down the hallway, “Damon, why are you ignoring me? Come here now!!” The knickknacks starting shaking and the pictures started falling off the walls.
“What? What’s going now?” I hear a growl by the “Shadow’s Door” and I quickly lock it. I didn’t want to know what was on the other side and what it wanted. I want to get the heck out this house. How on Earth did I end up here in the first place? I pick up my dog, but I notice it wasn’t moving and he started melting in my hands. What’s going on? I don’t understand. I run to the door but the door knob melted off already.
“I’m screwed. Someone help!!!!! Help!!!” I hit the door like a thousand times, but it didn’t move. It started to melt and I was hoping it would melt before the roof starts to cave in. Once the door finally melted and ran to the farthest point from that house, but everything around me was dark. “What is going on?” I screamed in fear, “Why is this happening? Didn’t mean to do that! You know I didn’t. Why are you trying to hurt me?”
“Well, my dear you should know better than to trust a monster like me. See we follow and claim you, but you don’t know the true troubles you signed up for.” 
“What are you talking about? I never made a deal with you.” I yelled with all the air in my lungs until I felt faint.
“You know what you did and I know too, but listen here you signed a contract with “Him”,” it growled.
“Then what are you doing here? I want “Him”, not you Shadow!!”
“Why don’t you say my name? I’m the good guy here. Don’t you understand? If it wasn’t for me you would be dead, Malice.”
“Tell me what his name is? What does he want from me? Why did “He” pick me?”
“He wants your soul and he picked you for your spiritual pressure. His name? You want his name? Well, you will have to figure that out yourself, you dumb girl.” He face faded in the shadow and I was left alone.
“Come back here, you… you self centered jackass!!!!!” I lay on the ground crying. I close my eyes and I heard a strange, but familiar voice.
“Wake up, my dear. You shouldn’t be here. I told you to wait in my room for me.” I opened my eyes and there “He” was. His long brown hair with old stains of blood in my face and his eyes glowing red were looking back at me. I reach up and hugged him close and cried. He held me and wiped my tears. I was shocked that he would react this way. I mean he never wants to show weakness towards anyone, but it could be that we choose each other. Our souls are one and now they grow closer together.
“Malice?” he said. I can’t believe he said my name for the first time in ten years. 
“Yes?” I asked sweetly.
“Why don’t you ever say my name? I know you know it, but you act like you don’t. You act as if I’m someone else and not you once loved.”
“I just . . . don’t want your enemy to know who you are, I guess.” I said regretting it. I shouldn’t have said anything. I should have just stayed silent. Now, he is going to be angry with me!
“I see and I understand, my love.” He’s smiling now.
“Why are you smiling? I thought you would be insulted.” He saw the confusion in my eyes and just kissed my forehead. He’s playing games with me again. Grr! I hate when he does this. He knows that drives me crazy, even his touch makes me go soft. I don’t want to be the weakling that gets in his way, but I can’t help it. I’m only a human and he is a pure-breed vampire lord. Now the question is why does he want me? He picks me up and carries me to the house that “was” melted. I still don’t understand why I had that vision, but I don’t care to know either. See, things that are like nightmares in my life I try to ignore because I know that those visions will show the true evil of “Him.” I want to remember “Him’ when we were little. He was the shy kid that always hid from everyone and didn’t want to be heard. That’s who I fell in love with. Not some vampire that kills everything that made him angry and its funny because he wasn’t a vampire then, at least I didn’t think he was. It would explain a lot, like how he talks, why his parents did not come pick him up and why he stayed away from windows. It would also explain how he would then hide himself from me and does not want to get attach to me. I think he’s afraid of something bad happening to me or him. I just wish he would be himself around me and I wish the monsters that are after us would leave us alone. I would like to start addressing by his real name, but instead they have to follow us around and be like “I’m going to kill you,” or “I knew it was you and that girl.” I hate this and it’s really funny when you didn’t mean for that bad thing to happen, but you still get reminded that you cause it and you will be extremely punished for it. Ugh.
“What’s wrong, my dearest?” he asks, “Why did thee looked troubled?” I smile at him. I know the only reason he is talking like that is so he could cheer me up. He’s silly like that, but yet that is how he used to talk until we met. We always were around each other, mostly at his house because the sun would burn his skin, but we were always together. We played hide and go seek in the house he always won, which made me mad because he would hid and see me then move somewhere else until I gave up. He always told me I gave up to easily and that is why he would always win, but I think he cheated.
“Nothing’s wrong. I was thinking about when we were kids and how you cheated playing hide and go seek,” I smile.
He smiles back, “Well, if you were quiet instead of shouting for me, I wouldn’t have known that you were there.”
“Yeah, right!” I giggle and get up from the couch he threw me on and walked to the hallway. He walks behind me, hugs me. I think he might have smelt me. Weirdo!!!! Why is he smelling me?!?
“I’m sorry. I do weird things. You should know,” he walks away and disappears in the darkness.
“Fine! Leave here and let the shadow get me,” I walk up the stairs to his room, “Hello? You there?” Not a sound. This is the thing that kills me inside and makes me want to be dead, but I am willing to take it as long as if I near “Him”. I wait at the door for a few seconds and decide to sit at the door. An hour had pasted and still no answer, so I get up and begin to walk, but something stops me.
“Please don’t go. I like it when you wait for me.” He turns me around and looks at me with that damn smile that gets me every time.
“Okay, I will stay,” I sigh and smile back. His eyes are full of life today, but I bet tomorrow they will be dull again and he will reject me. He always does that. I don’t know why, but he does it, but it makes me angry that he can’t trust me as much as he used to.  I sit back on the floor and lean against the wall. He just walks in room and hides again. I wonder what he is doing in the room and why he always hides.
“Why do you hide in there?” I asked through the door. No response. Just silence. I heard Damon running up the stairs and then I saw him looking at me.
“Oh, so now you come after I called thirty times? Dumb dog.” Damon started licking my hands and wanting me to pet him, so I did. Damon turns away and runs in fear. I know that the shadow is coming for me again. I know “He” won’t protect me form this shadow. Well, maybe I should tell you who and what this shadow. His name is Sebastian Knight, or as nicknamed Shadow Master, but I just call him shadow because well duh he’s a shadow. Shadow has been after the vampire lord and me for years because what I’ve done or should I say we have done. See, I didn’t make a lot of friends and I was being bullied everywhere I went. I made a wish that I shouldn’t have and when I made it that the city started to burn. Houses, farms, land, building, and even living creatures were on fire. I was so stupid, but “He” saved me from the shadow that granted my wish. I didn’t mean for it to happen. I didn’t want all those people to die, and I didn’t want to sell my soul for pain that I didn’t need nor want. “He” saved me and his name I promise to never say for if I do the shadows will find us again and attack. I don’t want my love to feel pain or lose me or anyone else, but if the shadow wants to fight then we’ll fight. I get up from the floor and open his door.
“You in here, my love?” the walls echoed my voice. He came out the closet where his bed lays in the shadows.
“Yes, my dear. What’s wrong?” He looks so tired. It was kind of cute the way his eyes where half closed. I didn’t say anything. I walk to him and hug him as hard as I could. He starts to smile and kisses my forehead.
“What puzzles you?” he smiles. I didn’t say anything. I mean I would have, but I didn’t exactly what I should say. I walk towards the door and exit the room to find the dog looking back at.
“Damon, you are the cutest puppy ever,” I lean down and being to pet him. Damon might not listen to me, but he was truly my best friend and my only family. I wish he could talk so I didn’t feel so lonely in this house, but that may never change. I walk back to “His” room to see the closet door shut. He went back to sleep, I guess. I sluggishly walk down the hall to my room to see a note on my door.
It read “Sorry for being so cruel to you. I am sorry if I seem like I love you one day than hate you the next. I really truly sorry. You and I both know what will happen in the end if I don’t have my guard up. Well, I hope you read this and forgive me. I love you.
Dante Williams”
My heart sank I can’t believe he wrote me this letter and plus he signed his name. He never signs his name on anything and I mean anything. My cheeks start to turn red as I fall on my bed for the night. I hope he really accepts me this time. I hope he doesn’t shut me out. I really need him around me. I feel warm inside and I have butterflies in my stomach. What is this feeling? Is this love? And if it is, I don’t want it to go away…never. I close my eyes and sleep.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.