Year one | Teen Ink

Year one

By baythebae GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska
baythebae GOLD, Lincoln, Nebraska

"I came, I saw, I conquered." -Julius Caesar

as i walk down the long hallway to go to my house, the air trembled unstill. I feel a strange presence lingering behind me. I turn around, it's just a tall, auburn haired, pale skinned boy, and you could see every muscle of his upper body through his shirt. His face chiseled like the perfect man sculpture, he is the definition of pure perfection. He must of not of seen me stop, because like a heart attack he hit me in an instant.
"Hey watch where you're going!" I yell as I push myself off the cold school cement floor.
"Sorry Bethany." He flipped his auburn, before kneeling down to help me up.
"... H-how do you know my name?" I ask tearing my grip that is shocked, almost terrified.
"I am the student body president... It's my job to know everyone's name." He leads his hands to his empty pockets.
"Oh, I thought Jennifer was the student body president?" I interrogate him.
" Well technically I'm supposed to fill in for her, because well... I'm the co president slash her boyfriend." He smirks.
"Um, you may be dreaming that, because Jennifer doesn't have a boyfriend." I turn my eyes towards him, he's sweating like a river.
"Could you say that word again?" He creeps closer.
"You must not know about personal space, because you're too close sir; and which word do you want me to say again?" I lead my feet away from him.
"That b-word you used... You know talking about Jennifer." He bites his lower lip.
"You mean boyfriend? Sure, okay... Boyfriend." I stare into his dark hazel nut eyes.
He stares at me, with no expression, but a smirk on his perfected face. His smirk sends a chill up my spine, making me shiver. I swing the doors open and shut hoing they will hit him in the face. Walking on the ragged sidewalk, I look around to enjoy my surroundings, of the forest. As soon as I turn around there seems to be a strange car slowly following me. Slowly, I quicken my pace. The car stays behind, but speeding up the car.
"Leave me alone!" I scream.
To my surprise the person rolls down their window down. An old man pokes his head out, he looks as if he wants to say something, but does not. He pulls his head back in, and keeps up with my pace. I run over a hill to see my house, I've never been so happy to see my house, when rocks weren't being thrown at the old mosaic windows.
"Hey! Quite that! Don't make me call your parents!" I yell out to each one in spite, so they run off.
Like c***roaches they scurry off. I drag my achy feet up the old staircase that leads up to the old oak-wood door. My eyes drift to the bottom of the door, maybe dad had time to fix the door today. Both of the edges curving in, and rotting. The door handle is sticky with sap again. I pull out a baby wipe from my back pocket, Bentley wiping the surface. A paramedic opens the door leads me to fall onto my face.
"Oh I'm so sorry miss. Are you okay?" I knew I was imaging things I see the creeper standing above extending his hand out to me.
"Yeah... What are you doing here? Where's my dad?" I panic.
"Oh, you must be Bethany then... Dr. Lucinda wanted you to have this." He hands me a note, neatly folded and taped.
The paramedic jumps into his car, and drives away. I rush through the door, plucking splinters out of my hand. The house just sits, unstirred, dead silent. I lug myself onto my old Victorian couch, I open the note slowly, hoping the best.
My dear Bethany,
Your father had a rather tragic accident. He fell down the old stairwell, luckily he used his life alert to contact the authorities. He is going to be in the hospital, until we know he is okay. We know that old rugged stairwell has never been a danger until now, so I advise you to go to a friend's house for a couple of days (or months). At least we can get those awful stairs fixed.
XOXO Dr. Lucinda
I crumple up the note, and chuck it against the wall. This is the same lady who keeps trying to get rid of me. Ugh! She probably told him I was in the hospital and he went there, with her! I turn to see the stairs stained with blood. "Bethany, no she just set up a scene to make it look this way." I think out loud to myself. But what if she didn't?
"Raaaaaaaw!" I scream in frustration.
I inch my way to the velvet stairwell, forcing myself to go up each one, as if my feet were made of cement. Each step creaks louder than the last, as I reach the top. My brown and white Siamese cat circles my feet. Shooing her away, I come face to face with my ugly peach pink door. I asked for a baby girl pink colored door, but I can't complain dad's new girlfriend Doctor Lucinda Indigo has put a roof over our heads.
But ever since she came she wants me to move out. I've told her time and time again no, because I pay rent here, and without me my dad would go back to his drunken self. Nowadays he doesn't really seem to need me, shrine he has his new honey around. I mean without Lucinda my dad would probably be dead, she's the one who gave him life alert. She's the the one who gave us this house, and she's the one who gave us food for the first few weeks.
It was really hard when mom died when I was five years old, I had to live with my dad in the back of his van. We lived in a trailer park only, because the owner happened to be my dad's oldest childhood friend. Even that wasn't enough, my dad got a job as a trash collector. That was enough to pay off the gas, our van, a gallon of water, and six packs plus beer. Back then my dad was selfish, and mostly drunk. By the time I was six I had a part time job. It didn't pay much, only fifty cents an hour, which is how long I worked. Sometimes my dad would steal my extra money and use his extra to treat himself to dinner.
I usually ate in the soup kitchen, if I felt up to it. The only meal I had was dinner, some days not even dinner. Whenever I fet an emotion and tried to express it my dad thought it was an "unnecessary" behavior, and would beat me until I bled.of all those horrible memories I still love him. He eventually got a job as a bank teller, and that's how he met Lucinda. Basically she saved our lives.
In a doctor's check-up she said I was malnutrient; but I waited ten years to hear that? Of course I was! I borrowed books from the school library on medical stuff. I knew since I was twelve years old! My straight, flowing brown hair would fall out in chunks, my dark green eyes almost lost all its color, I was skinny as a stick, and shy as a turtle.
I came out of my shell during my sophomore year high school. I started getting active in sports, and socially. Luckily school was free all up until this year. I started college three months ago.
Ah, Harvard one of the hardest schools to get into. Luckily with my four point o average I was at the top of their list. My top three choices were, Yale, Harvard, and Juilliard. Yes, Julliard I had taken up my spare time in study hall to go to choir. I was lucky enough to have my mother's voice. Her voice lettered me all four years.
I open the door to my room, I jog over to my shrine of my mom, she's next to my senpai: Conor Raqall. I had a crush on him since the fifth grade. Now we go to the same college. He aspires to be a teacher/professor. Hmmm... A medical researcher and a professor. Our children would become psychologists, psychiatrics, or maybe even a nanny!
"Bethany, my dearest are you home?" Lucinda calls from downstairs.
"Um... Yeah I'll be down in a second!" I push myself up, and run down the stairwell.
Lucinda was home, but with another man. Is she cheating on my dad? What the heck is going on here?
"My yoga instructor is going to give a 'private' lesson. Tell anyone including your father, I will kick you out, and throw you in jail!" She stares me down.
"On what charges?!" A stream of something warm rolls down my face.
"Oh you'll see what happens when you tell. Oh, and you are so going to get it for talking back." She points at me as he walks up the stairwell, into her room.
I trail behind them and cry onto my bed. Crying myself to sleep again, I open my eyes to the blaring alarm. It flashes eight o'clock. I stretch my arm over to pound it, wait it's Saturday! That means I have the whole day to relax! Looking over I see a chair pulled closely to my bed.
Did I use a chair last night? Why is it so close to my bed? A crisp fall breeze hugs my shoulders, sending a shiver down my spine. I walk over to my window to close, before I do I stick my head out of the window. Not a bad sight, a nice forested area especially since the leaves are changing colors. I crank my head to my left, staring at me in my eyes is the auburn haired boy!
"Ahhhhhh!" I lock my window tightly.
Running down the stairs to lock the door, I trip and fall down the stairs. A warm streak runs down my forehead. I touch the sustenance, an ooey gooey liquid stains my fingers like a sharpie. My head spins, I feel suddenly light headed.
"Bethany... Bethany... Bethany are you okay." A fuzzy figure appears.
My sight returns to me. Oh. My. Gosh...