Home > Novel (Fiction) > Thriller/Mystery > Sally Isn't Here

Sally Isn't Here

TroyChittock
Sally Isn't Here
Summary:

Harvey Salsberg was a man who didn't let his girlfriend out of his sight. He name was Sally Hellens, who is now missing and it located somewhere in a tomb, in which Henry must find her by using a whistle to call her and a candle to see in the blinding darkness.

By gathering notes from a "Stranger", he begins to learn things about himself, Sally, and a lesson about acceptance.

This book has 6 comments. Post your own now!

Kyrstie said...
I was captivated from the first chapter! It's strange how I started out feeling sorry for the main character, but as I neared the final chapters, I began to hate him for what he'd done. I like the notes left by the "stranger"...they kept me reading. Beautifully written!

TroyChittock replied...
Oct. 12, 2015 at 11:46 am
Thank you very much! I'm proud of this piece and feel it's one of my greatest.

BreeZephyrThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hm. I have to say, the way that you wrote this is interesting, and the ending was definitely unexpected in a good way. You caught my interest and held it to the end. That's not something I can say about most "books" published on this site. Great work. What I feel I should add is that, though the book is definitely emotionally affecting, I don't fully understand it. I assume that Harvey is experiencing some kind of nightmare, but Sally seems to be personally involved in it somehow, so I wasn't su... (more »)

TroyChittock replied...
Oct. 12, 2015 at 11:45 am
Well, the answer to your question about "Sally's Tomb" and what it truly was, I knew that in the beginning people were going to think Sally was dead. I was hoping that by the end people would realize that, by Harvey waking up in bed, it was all a horrible nightmare he created himself out of depression. Yes, that could have been a lot more clear. The side notes, now that I'm looking at them, are distracting. If I could remove them, I would. They may seem a bit irrelevant, but if one were to read... (more »)

CNBono17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Well done on the suspense. It's incredible how you refuse to let the reader know anything until exactly the right time. The story is very much a mystery, and left me with several questions about what happened, but I think you meant to do that. It's a bit short for a novel, but you can get away with that. The only thing that I think detracts from the story is your side notes, but honestly, I didn't start looking at them until chapter three. Again, well done!

TroyChittock replied...
I wanted to make the side notes a bit irrelevant to the current plot of the chapter so in case they checked the side note FIRST before reading the full chapter, they wouldn't completely understand what was to occur. I did mean to leave many questions as I feel the reader should piece them together for themselves (even if there isn't much to work with). I thought this would make it more relatable to both the captive and the keeper. Thank you once again for the support!