Secrets, lies and pineapples | Teen Ink

Secrets, lies and pineapples

March 16, 2015
By Creativedove, layton, Utah
More by this author
Creativedove, Layton, Utah
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein


Author's note:

I had to do a mystery for english and this idea came to my head. I hope people will just enjoy my writing and be inspired to do their own stories.

The author's comments:

i don't have chapters it is just there.

The detective
“Detective, have you cracked the case yet?” asked Carl. I shook my head. Ever since the first murder on 23rd street, the townsfolk were getting restless. The fact that a psychopathic murder somehow got into the most guarded city in West Ward gave people the willies. It had me stumped too. I mean there is almost no way for that to happen. But here I am still puzzling. “Hey Carl? Get me Joan on the phone. I need to check something.” I said between bites of my nails. I was real stressed these days trying to keep everyone safe. “She isn’t picking up Ma’am. Her walkie-talkie is down and she won’t pick up her cell phone.” Now I may have felt worried about my fellow detective but it was hard to tell through all the worry stacking up behind my calm demeanor. “Ok, thanks anyway Carl. Would it be alright if you left and sat at your desk for a bit? I need some alone time to try and uncover the murder.’ I sighed leaning back in my chair. Carl obviously knew what I meant. He eyed me with a concerned expression but there was something else in his eyes. I didn’t know what it was. He left and I buried my face in my hands. Man, I had no idea that being a Detective was going to be so hard. I sighed again. Longer this time. My phone buzzed. Joan finally. I picked it up, “Detective Typhoon here. How may I be of assistance?” There was just the buzz of static for a moment then the familiar voice of Agent Webiar came on. “Uh, Detective you might want to come down to 23rd street kinda fast if you could. We…..we might have a problem.” I sat shell shocked for a minute than after I regained my composure I asked, “Okay what seems to be the problem Webiar?” I asked. If I could see Iris Webiar shaking his heads at me wondering why I wasn’t already there. “Just get your gluteous Maximus over here A.S.A.P Typhoon. NOW.” I hung up and shrugged. Well, back to 23rd street I go.
The murder
I looked out the blinds again. Typhoon was onto me. I think we all knew it. My kill gave satisfaction but the total feeling of terror. I know I was just carrying on the family legacy but it kinda was a real big risk. But they still don’t know how I got into 23rd street. Thinking about that I grinned as I went to go check my security and pick a new target.

The detective
I pulled up ten minutes later to 23rd street to find police cars surrounding a house lights flaring sirens wailing. I jump out of the car and run over to Officer Jakin’s who is not too far away. “Hey whoa Typh where’s the Murder?” he says gravely “or is it something else like a fire. I mean COME ON! For Pete’s sake who is doing this! Two I mean just how do they do it? For the love-“That’s where I cut him off. “What do you mean two? When, Where, Who, What, Why, and HOW?” I sputtered. He helplessly gestures towards a crowd of people. I hurry towards it flashing my ID every 5 inches it felt. After what felt like eternity I reach the front of the house. Agent Webiar is there looking at my through his ever present aviators. He jabs a thumb in the direction of the door, “Brace yourself Typh. This could break your heart.” He pts my back as he leaves. Huh? I shrug and walk in. I look around for clues. Then I see it. Another. Just why of all things? Why pick a pineapple? I walk over to it and try lifting the top again. It comes clean of again with another note inside. Similar threat. I put it back down and keep going. My pace quickens as agents and cops look sadly in my direction. I couldn’t hear anything over the pounding of my heart and the feeling of dread. I turned the corner into the room and stopped short. Joan. My best friend. My family it felt like. Gone. Tears started leaking out the corners of my eyes. I tried to blink them back. A few slipped out. I sagged into the doorframe. My breaths were shallow. Blood roared in my ears. I was taking deep breaths when Agent Conner walked in. He growled at the sight of Joan. His gentle but firm hands led me away into the main room where I just about crumpled into a chair. My breathing was till heavy. I was looking at the door to the room when a glint hit me in the eye. Confused I stood up and walked over to the door. “Uhh hey Typh I know you’re in shock but you should really sit down.” I turned and saw Jenny. She was the cop in charge of all the cops around. I waved her off I kept going. On the top hinge of the door a mirror was there. One word written on it. Boom. Real mature to whoever did it. But a clue none the less. I waved over a agent with evidence bags. I placed the mirror inside. “Please take this to my lab. Oh and can I have some gloves? Thanks.” I said snapping on the gloves that had been handed to me. When I walked back into the room Joan had be covered with a sheet. I dodged the body and looked around for more clues. ‘They might all just be false leads.’ Said the unhelpful voice in my head. “Oh shut up you.” I said smacking my head. After doing so I hoped no one saw that. I looked at the sheet. Her hand was sticking out. I sighed harder but deeper than other times-. I stopped in mid thought. What was that in Joan’s hand? I carefully opened her hand and pulled out a piece of slightly crumpled paper. I flattened it out. I gasped out loud and fell over backward. I crawled back over to the paper. With trembling hands re-read it. It said, ‘The murder won’t stop harming until they get what they want. But the pineapple? Figured it out by looking at the first murder pic upside down than to the side.  I know who it is though. I have to tell Typhoon who it is. But why are they doing this? Still not sure. Oh, some one’s at the door. I wonder who. ’ A journal entry. And the murder was at the door to kill Joan. She knew who and she got eliminated. I tucked the paper into my pocket. I kept looking around. The cops would be checking the security and The FBI would be checking fingerprints. I kept looking. I tried what Joan did. I looked at her upside down than sideways. A name spread out in the lump of the body. I rummaged around till I found a pen and paper and wrote down the letters. Shrugging I pocketed it as well and kept looking.
The murder
Pineapples great idea *Murder’s name*. Yeah let’s put a random fruit out and that can be your new little warning thing. Next time it will be a pomegranate. No a banana. Or a pear. Oh I got it a watermelon. Argh I think of something later. Right now I got to go see who is next on my list. But you know I might just go check security for the 78th time. In 10 minutes. Then I will pick my next plot and “honored guest’. Heh heh heh heh.

The detective
“I have chosen a few suspects that might be possible for committing the crime.” I began “First up is Davey Jones. He is a 26 year old man with a history of crime and was still out of jail around the time both murders occurred. He seems extremely driven to give everyone else a real crappy day. And eliminate those who still have fun or enjoy themselves.  He has killed 6 people and seriously injured 10.” I said gesturing towards a man with black hair and a small beard. He snarled. I chuckled. Carl, Jenny, Webiar, Conner, and a lot of other people from The FBI and cops. They were all paying close attention. “The second suspect is Shaesae Westbound. A 19 year old common thief and drug dealer. She has quite a history with the cops. She gave a overdose to a few people. Killing 3 people and almost killing 4 which too much for a 19 year old. We don’t know what drives her but it could be the fact that her parents were drug addicts while she was a child and gave her some. WE are not entirely sure yet.” I motioned towards the girl with choppy auburn hair and fierce gray eyes. Her mouth formed a small frown. “And the last one is Night Johansem. Former spy for the military. Turned to crime to get rid of what he saw. Intimidating and has committed 1 murder in the past as far as we know. Multiple attempts to take lives. It may be possible that he had bad experiences in the military so he wants others to feel his pain.” The man had huge muscles and a scars around him. Bald with a frown so big and mean…. Yeesh. “But, Ma’am,” began Carl, “Why would you suspect them?” Again I saw that flash of something other than kindness and concern. I didn’t know what it was. “They had all busted out of jail just days before the first murder on the Van Stormson household. Plus they all have history in crime and each one has in some way harmed/killed someone else.”  As I looked at everyone I saw a few nods. But something in my gut told me I was wrong. “OBJECTION!” roared a man in the back. Suddenly Carl looked very afraid. Why? “I have someone else you should suspect. And his name is CARL YOUNGET!” This guy has serious issues. “What no…….I didn’t! NO!” Carl was being put under arrest. “Ma’am help me! You know it wasn’t me! Right?!” HE had a wild look in his eyes. Crazed expression. He strained against the cops that were hauling him away. “Look Carl I don’t know if I can trust you or not. I can’t trust anyone!” my voice was getting louder and louder as I tried to hold back my grief. Tears made their way out slowly I looked up and in a shaky voice after the doors closed said, “Now. Any MORE objections to MY investigation? No? Good, dismissed.” With a wave of my hand. I walked toward my lab to go through some information.

Carl Younget
The cops weren’t listening. I screamed at them that is wasn’t me. I didn’t do it. I am simply Detective Typhoon Slazar’s secretary/consultant. I am vegetarian because I hate to kill things and people. Typhoon should know. She should’ve defended me. But no. Her case was just too important.  A burst of Adrenaline came through and I somehow managed to get out of a cops grip. I sprinted for the conference room. I heard footsteps behind me. Just have to make it to the weapons room………I meant lab. Lab is what I meant. A sharp pain hit me in my head. Darkness.
The detective
I sat in my office breathing hard. ‘In and out, in and out….’ I thought as my breaths slowed down. I got up and went into the lab. The mirror, the letters, and the journal entry. They might not all be real clues. I called Jenny. She might have found something with security. “West Ward police force. This is Jenny Capaldi, how may I help you?” She said instantly. I guess you get really good at saying your business and name while in a professional job like-. “THAT”S IT!” I yelled “JENNY YOU’RE A GENIUS! Thanks, and never mind!” I slammed the phone down. I sprinted through the office. Got to find her, have to find her. There! I ran right up to the one FBI agent I knew. “Colin’s listen to me. I am *this* close to cracking this thing.” I shouted motioning with my fingers “Hey, Whoa, and Whoa Typh. Chill down here a bit. No need to shout so loud. What are you talking about?” She said hands on my shoulders. I felt giddy with happiness. “Nelisia listen I have a question for you. Did you bug Joan Briares phone?” I say as calmly as I can. She nods and opens her mouth to say something but I cut her off. Okay what did she say every time she picked the phone?” I asked her. I had a feeling she might not know right off the bat. “Umm let me think I think it was something like, ‘“Hello this is Joan Briares from the detective division of West Ward police station how may I be of assistance to you?”’ I think that is what is was. Why do you need it?” She asked me. I just told her I would explain later, I rushed down the halls. On my way to go catch me a murder hopefully at least. First I had another stop to make. Only one person knows what everyone says when they pick up the phone. Carl.

The murderer
Whew. That was close. ‘She almost caught me.’ I thought quietly to myself. If she only knew that I was the one who bugged her phone and everyone else’s too. The FBI picked who to bug I did it to everyone. Heh. Next murder, tonight. In the police force someone will die tonight.

Officer Jakin’s
I knew the murderer was out to get me. But, I won’t tell anyone because I don’t need any protection. I can handle this on my own. I may be young but I come out fighting.  If the murderer comes and gets me I have already scribbled a note to Typh with a clue. I know who the next target after me will be. And I have a sneaking suspicion about who the murderer is. But it is too dangerous right now but unless Typh finds my note she is toast. It is obvious who it is. They have wanted her off the grid for years. Now they will try to get her so hopefully she will use her detective skills to find it unless the murderer finds it first. *KNOCK KNOCK* they are here. ‘Time to accept my fate.’ I thought glumly as I trudged to the door.

The detective
*BAZINGA! WAKE UP! BAZINGA! WAKE UP!* My phone was ringing at 2 in the morning. Groggily I picked it up, “Uhh, Detective Typhoon Slazar here how can I help you?” I asked barely keeping my eyes open. “Oh good your alive.” Jenny’s voice was dead serious on the other end. “There has been another murder. This time it was,” she was obviously choking up, at least that is what I thought. “Officer Colin Jakin’s was found dead on his porch by a neighbor. Get down here now.” She said. Little did I know that when she paused on the phone she had been grinning with pleasure at the news.  * TEN MINUTES LATER* I jerk to a stop in front of Jakin’s house. Slamming my door I see that Jenny is nowhere to be found. I walk briskly up to the front door. The scene is incredible but scary. “He must have put up quite a fight.” One officer said to a agent who nodded in agreement. I knew what he meant. Furniture was tipped over and shoved and pushed around. The place was a wreck but no one touched anything in case I might need it to help crack this case. I began examining. There was yet another pineapple. Why? Judging by the scattered drops of blood I’d say he was poked with a knife a few times before he was gone. Or it was the other person’s blood. I thought. “You.” I said pointing to an agent he ran over ‘Put a few blood samples into a petri dish and bring it to my lab.” I told him as he scurried off.  I kept looking. There was a feeling in the room that was not tension, fear, weariness but a longing. A longing for blood or secrets. Something in my clue finding gut told me to check the printer. I checked a lot of rooms until I found it. A monster of a printer I thought shaking my head. The thing was gargantuate. I looked in and around. Then a idea hit me. Under. I climbed down onto all fours and looked under. A crumpled piece of paper sat there. I reached under and grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a letter and it said,
“Typhoon,
The murderer has probably killed me by now so this is going to have to be quick. I know the next target. It is YOU. The murderer has been wanting to get rid of you for a while. Now you are her next target. Yeah, I said her because I have a small guess of who the murderer might be. I think it might be Jenny Capaldi. Just a hunch but lately she has been happier and happier with each murder so just a guess. Oh and any blood found on the ground will probably be hers. Good bye Typhoon been a pleasure working with you.”  And it just ended. I gasped because it all made sense instantly. Jenny rarely showed up for the murders that have been happening lately because you can’t show up to the crime scene of your own murder. So he was right it was Jenny Capaldi. It all started to make sense. When she paused over the phone she wasn’t choking up she had been celebrating. Jakin’s was up and running for new head of police so it made sense her petty grudge against him. I needed no more clues. I tucked away the note and stormed down stairs. “Typh do you know who did it?” asked Agent Webiar. I nodded and he sighed in relief. I waited for no more questions I burst out the door and headed toward my car. I had a murderer to catch.

The murderer
Dang it. I was exposed, all because of Jakin’s but he was right. I did want Typhoon off the grid. I wanted her job at least all her praise. She got almost all the praise and nearly no criticism. She was always perfect at her job. “Gosh darn it!’ I yelled into a pillow. I would have to play my whole bluff till after she was eliminated. Yeah that is what I would do. I knew there was no way to contain my laughter so I burst out into maniacal laughter. Unless someone was listening really closely they would the sound of insanity in my laugh.

The detective
I stormed into the detective end of the police building. I didn’t even bother to say ‘excuse me’ I knew who was responsible and I was going to make sure that they got framed. Officer Conner’s jumped out of his conversation and ran to keep up with my determined stride. “Hey Typh slow down. Wait do you know who the murderer is?” he asked me excitedly I nodded and said in a steely voice, ‘And you will never guess who it is and why they did it.” He looked confused but he would know soon. I banged open the door to the side with only police officers and people waiting to file complaints. Probably about the recent murders. But I paid them no attention. I had to get to the bottom of this. I pushed my way to the head office. I went straight through the door. Jenny made the mistake of getting a really soft door. She also made the mistake of murdering the friends of a master sleuth and detective. “JENNY CAPALDI!” I yelled very loud pointing one finger at her.  Just by looking at her eyes told me that she knew that I knew. “YOU AER THE MURDERER WHO HAS BEEN KILLING PEOPLE! ANS YOU CAN’T DENY IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE GUILT WRITTEN ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR EYES! I BLAME YOU FOR THE MISERY OF THIS CITY!” I was screaming now letting loose all my feelings from the past few days. She recoiled in fear, fear of being caught. More officers, agents, detectives and civilians gathered around the door to the clash of two organization leaders. Jenny stuttered, “No…..i-i-t wasn’t m-e-e-e.” she managed but the lie died on her tongue by my withering glare. I was not happy with her for lying and murder. I looked back and almost every mouth was hanging wide open. I held out my hand behind me and someone put handcuffs in them. I closed my grip on them and started forward.  A police in the crowd yelled out, “Capaldi don’t move let her handcuff you or someone may pull out a Taser.” She instantly went up to the wall and put her hands on the wall and spread her legs. She knew what to do. But something poked my mind. Why did she give up so easily? I took careful steps towards her. Something about it…

The murderer
I was terrified. But at the same time I had a great plan. I just hoped it would work. When Typhoon got close enough I would kick her and punch and just try to hurt her. ‘Too bad I don’t have my gun with me.’ I thought mournfully. I was so lost in thought that I did not realize that Typhoon was right behind me. “Don’t try anything.” She whispered into my ear and handcuffed me. I was too late. But I still started to struggle.

The detective
Jenny started screaming and kicking and writhering. I knew she was up to something! I barely held on to her cuffs. She was aiming her attck at me. Then it hit me. Literally. If she couldn’t murder me, she would make me hurt. So in response I let go of the hand cuffs. She whirled around as I signaled everyone to wait. If she attacked me I would dogde, maybe get hit a few times and the take her to jail. I noticed there was something a little off about her today but I didn’t know exactly what. Her eyes seemed hungry. Hungry for revenge. A lightbulb went off in my head. She had gone insane, that must have been because of her endless attempts to get off her radar. I knew what to do. She charged and I let her come to me. She wouldn’t be able to concentrate because of her anger so she would probably miss. I was right. AS she tried to kick me her foot missed me but the wall was a bit away so she kept going giving me the perfect opportunity to grab her and haul her off. I did just that as she was falling a grabbed the chain and stopped her. She kept thrashing but I dragged her along behind me by the chain. She yelled at officers to help her but they didn’t. She was a murderer. I couldn’t help but smirk a little. I had caught her. But why was she so set on getting rid of me? I might not that answer for a while but right now all I knew was from my years of being a detective unless she gets lucky she might be spending the rest of her life in jail. But one thing I didn’t know still was why the pineapple?

The end



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.