Lights Off | Teen Ink

Lights Off

April 23, 2014
By Anonymous

Author's note: Based from an idea my friend had.

It's a dark evening. Well, mostly dark. It would be dark, if not for the hastily strung Christmas lights in the backyard and the low-frequency strobes of alternating hue coming from the house. It was also quiet. Mostly quiet. Once you get rid of the pop punk music resonating in every room, it was pretty quiet. The few scores of teens milled about aimlessly at the party, each teen carrying a lamely labelled red Solo cup in hand, and gathered in small groups featuring at the same moderately enthusiastic and completely apathetic conversations.
"Adam, I swear! She kissed me then and there! In the snow!" brightly remarked a teen, tall, donning an equally bright plaid button-up.
"Sure, Felix, just like how you snuck into a fashion show and hooked up with a 'super'model," replied a partygoer in a red jacket, rather unconvinced.
"Oh come on, a model is a model!" cried the pagoda of plaid.
"Foot model," corrected Adam. "A foot model is not a supermodel."

________________________________________

Through the crowd, attempted niceties, among other language, ensued. One particular girl, far too cute for everyone else in attendance, a radiant sunray in this desolate teenage wasteland, offered a cordial, "Soooooo, what do you do for fun?" with a smile on her face.
The person subjected to this question, however, was in every sense the polar opposite of the sunbeam incarnate—quiet, in an oversized sweater, epitomizing apathy, and looking unmistakeably glum. There was nothing from him but silence.
"This obviously isn't your cup of tea, huh?" tried the girl once more.
More silence.
"Want me to refill your cup? Lookin' pretty empty!" she tried, yet again.
The boy simply walked off, as if her words made no impression on him.
"Be strong, Ruby. Be strong," the girl whispered to herself, trying to psych herself up.

________________________________________

Inside the house, the scene was similar. On one couch was one boy, looking around nervously and clutching his cup in hand, the party's host. The girl beside him, easily distinguishable by her short bob cut, rolled her eyes at him.
He spoke. "Tell me something, Anne," the host said.
"Tell you what?" asked Anne.
"Are people having…fun?"
She rolled her eyes again. "Brandon, of course they are. It's a party! The only people not having fun didn't want to be here in the first place."
Brandon's anxiety spiked. "What if none of them wanted to come? What if everyone convinced everyone else to come because they thought everyone else actually wanted to come? What if th—"
Anne clapped her hand on Brandon's mouth. "Shoosh. It's fine. People are enjoying it. Everything's gonna be fine."
Brandon sighed into her hand.

________________________________________

Meanwhile in the bathroom, clutching the porcelain throne leans a boy, his name Jamie, who in all reality didn't want to be there in the first place. And from the state of the contents of the John, it's pretty safe to assume he wasn't having fun either.
"Damn," he said, "one Smirnoff Ice does this to me. I'm the lightweight league champ."
Flushing the toilet, Jamie checked to see that his band-you've-never-heard-of T-shirt was untainted and his red Converse sorted. Looking wistfully at the ceiling and sighing, Jamie turned as he heard the turning of that faucet. It was the quiet boy from before.
"Hey," said Jamie.
The boy merely glanced at Jamie, turned off the faucet, and went to dry his hands on a towel lying on the counter.
"Can I ask you a question?" asked Jamie.
Silence.
"How lame do I look right now?" Jamie inquired.
The boy showed no signs of recognition that Jamie uttered a single word.
Jamie stood. "Really lame, right? Well don't spread the word. Not that you seem to, you know, talk a lot."
The boy stopped in the doorframe and turned, making eye contact with Jamie.
"I know," the boy said, turning and exiting quickly thereafter.

________________________________________

Jamie shrugged and exited also, passing an open bedroom. Inside there was a girl, reduced a blonde mess, crying into a pillow, while a boy who almost emanated goodness patted her head making comforting comments.
"It'll be fine, Kel. You can get over this. You can move on," said the boy soothingly. Kelly pulled up from the pillow, glared, and threw the pillow at him. He frowned a bit, though not the slightest bit angry.
"Mike, I can't just NOT love someone anymore! Not just like THAT!" she remarked, snapping her fingers.
"But you will, eventually. And you have to. This is tearing you apart," Mike replied.
"SHE is tearing me apart!" Kelly cried, resigning to her pillow. Her phone displayed a series of unanswered texts to a "Hannah".

________________________________________

Outside there loomed a masked figure that approached the house's breaker box. After looking at the switches, the figure picked a good few and flipped. The lights went off on the whole property.
Chaos ensued, with various screaming and yelling.
"Who the hell cut the lights?" asked a voice.
"I'm hitting every light switch in my reach!" cried another.
Amongst all the yelling, clicking, and darkness, a loud thud turned the room still and silent.
The light returned. Brandon was face-down on the carpet, blood coming from his head. Anne screamed. She touched his head wound and winced, only uttering an "Ohmygod."
The lights went off again. Pulling out his phone, Jamie lit his way outside to the breaker box, only to see the figure cloaked in black in front of it. The figure turned, its face masked by a veil.
Frantically, the figure ran, rushing past a frozen Jamie, who then chased the figure back into the dark house. People are still freaking out.
"NOBODY MOVE!" Jamie yelled to the crowd. "MORE THAN LIKELY A MURDERER JUST RAN INSIDE."
"Most LIKELY?" asked the former blonde mess of a girl.
"Murderer?" asked the unconvinced jacket-wearer, again unconvinced.
"MURDER?!" screamed Anne.
The house erupted in screaming and yelling. Suddenly, the lights turn back on. Some partygoers are clasping each other for dear life, while others are in fetal positions on the floor. But in the centre of the room, on top of what once was Brandon, was the quiet boy, a knife in his back.
"Holy hell," uttered Jamie.
Silence.
Anne, nervously clutching a flashlight, spoke, "Hey, uh, I'm going to check the breaker box." She took a step. "Just, uh, no one move, okay?" The mob of teens mostly nodded in agreement. A few moments and mutterings later, Anne's voice is vaguely heard as a yell, "Okay, I'm going to run a test," but no one has seemed to hear her. Lights off.
"Oh come on!" yelled a few people. Another thud. Lights on.
The boy's body is gone.
"He…that kid! He's gone!" noted Ruby, not quite the brilliant beauty of a few minutes prior.
"Hey, maybe he wasn't dead," remarked another partygoer with "Thomas" lamely written on a nametag à la the Solo cups. Beside him is what appears to be his boyfriend, with a similarly lame nametag, only reading "Jason". No one was amused.
"Yeah, he totally just likes chilling with a knife in his back," retorted Felix.
"Actually that reminds me of a time whe—" started Thomas.
Lights off.
Yelling ensues.
"Really? REALLY?" finishes Thomas, to a degree.
"I think I'm gonna go check on that girl," said Jamie.
"Don't bring any murderers back with you!" yelled Felix as Jamie was on his was out.
A metallic thud resounds. The lights flicker on, revealing Ruby standing in the centre with a fire axe in her hands, nose bleeding.
"I can explain!" she tried.
She can't explain. Lights off.
"GRAB HER!" yelled Kelly. The mob collectively tries all they can to grab Ruby, with a flurry of hands outstretched to apprehend her like white blood cells to a virus.
"HELP! GET ME OUT OF HERE!" yelled Ruby. Jamie walked back in, lights now back on.
"NO ONE is leaving," asserts a new voice. This voice is from a short girl, too punk for anyone there, wearing a band-not-even-Jamie's-heard-of T-shirt. "No one," she paused, "moves."
Thomas moved.
The punk girl grabbed the axe from Ruby, and standing upon a chair declared, "ANYBODY MOVES, EVERYONE GETS HURT."
"Sophie, that is entirely the wrong phrasing," said Thomas.
"Yeah, can we not make murder threats at this time?" chimed Jamie.
"Yeah, that's pretty insensitive," added another nameless voice.
Anne walked in the house, with shock present but not nearly as prominent on her face, and said, "You guys all right? The lights should stay on now."
Sophie stepped down from her chair. "Excellent. Now how about everybody just takes a seat, and we can calmly discuss what in the name of all that is holy just happened."
In fear of the girl brandishing an axe, everyone takes a seat.
"Good," said Sophie, relieved.
Lights off.
Yelling resumes. Running is heard, and after a quick few bouts with lights flickering on and off again, at last the lights are lit and stay. All but Jamie, Anne, Ruby, Felix, Adam, Thomas, Jason, Kelly, Mike, a boy with "TEX" scrawled on his cup, Brandon's body, and of course Sophie, have left.
Sophie sighed. "I hate house parties."
The eleven teens sat in a circle around what was left of Brandon, going over possibilities to find the killer, all of which until this point were found to be impossibilities.
"Basically, we have one choice," said Jamie, pulling out a wallet from his back pocket. Leafing through the various business cards, a few bucks in cash, and some change, Jamie carefully pulled out a folded scrap of loose leaf paper, stained from what looked like coffee, and recited:
"'A' AND 'J' AMATEUR DETECTIVE
SERVICES. COUPON GRANTS ONE FREE
CONSULTATION TO ANYONE NAMED JAMIE
AND IS ALSO A HUGE SHITTY HIPSTER."
"Okay, maybe I shouldn't have read the last part," continued Jamie, "but these guys owe me a favour."

"I can't believe we have our first actual case," said Johnny, Asian, well-dressed, the J in "'A' AND 'J'".
"I can't believe we're not getting paid for it," replied Anderson, tall and white, and equally as well-dressed, the A in "'A' AND 'J'". They both sighed in discontent. Anderson continued, "All right, let's do this," and knocked on Brandon's door. The boy with the belt answers.
"Aren't you two…the two who bailed the Debate Team the day before the biggest debate of the year?" he asked.
Johnny's and Anderson's hands meet their faces.
"Yes, Tex, and while that may be true, kid, we are ALSO the detectives who just got hired to save you sorry lot," shot back Anderson.
"Did you just call me kid?" asked Tex. "I'm in your Calc class."
"Oh right, you sit in the back row," replied Anderson.
"Yeah, back left corner."
"Did you do the worksheet?"
"Eh, half of it."
"Damn, that was really hard. I mean, who puts that many problems on a worksheet that's done over spring bre—" started Anderson.
Johnny elbowed him.
"Oh, uh. Right. Well, let us in," said Anderson, regaining composure until he enters and sees Brandon's body on the floor.
"Damn," said Anderson.
"Someone's actually dead," said Johnny.
"Did you think I was joking?" asked Jamie, his arms folded, Sophie at his side. "So, 'detectives'," continued Jamie with egregious use of air quotes, "What are you gonna do?"
Johnny and Anderson stylishly put on rubber gloves from their back pockets and seemingly from nowhere pull out UV lights.
"We're gonna get to work, kiddo," said Anderson.
"CLEAR THE AREA!" called Johnny.
Johnny and Anderson conducted their search, picking up seemingly random items in the living room, poking and prodding Brandon's corpse pointlessly, and generally being useless.
"All right, so what do you have so far?" asked Jamie after a few minutes of silence as the detectives scrounged for answers in all the wrong places.
Anderson looked him deep in the eyes. "Jack s***," he replied dryly.
"Great, glad this is free," said Jamie, retreating to the hall with Sophie.
Sophie turned to him. "Is this even helping?" she asked.
"Yeah, it gives us a second opinion," he applied, reassuringly.
"A second opinion to what?" she asked, unconvinced like Adam.
Jamie took out a small notepad with a few bullet points jotted down and said, "Ours." He flashed a smile at her. She was unimpressed.

________________________________________

In the backyard, Johnny and Anderson were scouting around, looking for anything to poke at. They hunted the backyard, moving chairs and décor all about, and settled into a perch on the ground, looking with brows furrowed and hands to chins at some meaningless shrubbery. Suddenly, a voice behind them chimed in.
"Whatcha doin'?" asked someone, with a giggle.
Rapidly, the detectives whipped around to see that it was Ruby in her joie de vivre.
"Official unofficial business. Get inside, miss," called Anderson coolly.
"Can I help, pleeeease? I'm unofficially a detective too! I aced all of those Carmen Sandiego games!" pled Ruby.
"Even 'Carmen Sandiego: Lost in Time'?" inquired Johnny.
"Yeah, duh, that one was easy!" replied Ruby, as bubbly as ever.
"Can it," said Anderson to Johnny out of the side of his mouth, turning to Ruby. "So how can you help us…" he trailed off, not remembering her name.
"Ruby!" she offered enthusiastically, grabbing Anderson's hand and shaking it vigourously. "Ruby Tackman, at your service!" She releases her vice grip and curtsies.
Bewildered, Anderson sought to regain his composure. "All right, 'Ruby'," said Anderson with massive air quotes, "if that is your real name, how about you tell us what exactly happened here tonight?"
Ruby brightened up even more, if it were even possible to do so. "Oh! That's easy! There was a party!"
Employing more massive air quotes, Anderson inquired, "And what happened at this…'party'?"
Ruby thought for a moment and dramatically began, "Well, there I was, standing alone under these very lights—"
"Speed it up," said Anderson.
Surprised, Ruby took a deep breath and rattled, "There was a scream, I ran inside, and someone was dead. And then the lights turned off, and then on, and then apparently the killer was inside! And then someone gave me an axe! And then my nose bled! It was wild!"
Anderson, rushed to write down everything she said. After a moment, he responded, "And did anyone see this…'killer'?", again with massive air quotes.
Johnny smacked Anderson's hands. "Stop using air quotes, dude," he said.
Ruby replied, "No one saw him but Jamie! Apparently he was cloaked in black. Pretty spooooky!"
"Yes, spooky indeed," commented Anderson, writing. He stood and looked up, deep into space, his hand on his chin.
Ruby was confused at Anderson's behaviour. Johnny whispered to her, "He's having an inner monologue."
"Ooh! Wait, let me do one!" Ruby replied, and then attempted to mimic Anderson's picturesque posture.
Johnny, bemused, thought for a moment, and then joined them.

________________________________________

Meanwhile, in the house, Sophie and Jamie inspected Brandon's body for clues. Sophie spoke. "So what do you think you can find that they can't?"
Jamie replied, "Just about everything," showing Sophie his notepad has accumulated pages of notes. Looking at the blood staining Brandon's neck, Jamie remarked, "Did they even take a look at the axe?"
"Nope," replied Sophie disdainfully. "They were too busy looking at the fireplace."
Jamie thought hard, picking up the axe, and looking at Brandon. "Hmm…" he muttered.
"What's the matter?" asked Sophie.
"Two things. Where the hell did this axe come from, and if I saw a guy messing with the lights run in, then who was killing people inside?" asked Jamie.
Sophie sarcastically retorted, "Oh. I just assumed they had teleportation powers, seeing as no one but you saw them."
"Very funny," said Jamie. "But this means that we’re looking for two people—one who left an axe, and one who was messing with the lights."
Sophie was impressed. "I think you just did more detective work in 30 seconds than those two did in 30 minutes."
Jamie sighed. "Yeah, but I still have no idea who would do this."
"Yep, motivation lost," said Sophie, nonchalantly tossing the axe on top of Brandon's body as the two resigned to the couch.
Right as Jamie and Sophie sat down, Anderson, seemingly from nowhere, exclaimed, "HEY! FEET OFF THE CORPSE."
Not acknowledging Anderson's supposed authority, Jamie asked, "Find anything out?"
"I think we've got a couple leads," replied Anderson confidently. "You should’ve watched us more. Could’ve learned a thing or two."
Jamie shot back, "I think I’ve learned a thing or two all on my own."
Anderson chuckled skeptically. "And that would be?"
Jamie asserted, "It’s two killers. One was operating the lights, and the other," he paused, picking up the axe, "was using the blunt end of this to kill Brandon."
Johnny muttered to Anderson. "He’s right you know. That makes sense."
"Can it, Johnny," shot Anderson to Johnny before turning back to Jamie. "All right, James. We’ll take that into consideration."
Jamie was baffled. "Why? There’s literally no other explanation."
"I repeat. CON-SI-DER-A-TION," articulated Anderson.
"All right, all right," said Jamie, unenthused. "Did you get testimonies from everyone who’s here? I’m pretty sure we all want to leave now."
"Ooh! Ooh! They got my testimony!" piped Ruby, having entered with cookies from the party in hand.
"Yeah, testimonies…" trailed Anderson. "We got your…testimonies."
"All right, cool. So we can all go home?" asked Jamie. "And sleep?"
"Whoa, whoa, whoa," replied Anderson coolly. "Hold on there. I still have to sweep a couple more areas."
Jamie and Sophie groaned as Anderson and Johnny began collecting testimonies, followed closely by Ruby, nibbling on her cookies.
"They totally just stood out there talking about detective stuff didn’t they?" asked Sophie.
Jamie sighed. "Yep."

Once Anderson and Johnny had left, Jamie and Sophie had thought for a long while about the clues they had and tried to separate the plausible from the implausible. The following morning, they saw to go to a library, though Sophie was much less pleased about it. She asked incredulously, "So why are we in a library?"
Jamie, leafing through a few thick books, replied simply, "Research."
"Oh," Sophie replied sarcastically. "I didn’t realize they made books about teen party killers' interests and lifestyles."
"Not yet," replied Jamie. "But they do have plenty of books on how to catch killers like this. I already did some work by calling every Home Depot and tool store in the area and ask who bought fire axes. And they refused to tell me anything. So I called costume stores asking for names of people who bought any dark cloaks. It took persuasion, but apparently they had someone come in and pick up a large size black hooded cloak and black leather gloves."
"So, ...nothing?" replied Sophie, again incredulous.
"Practically. I have a lead, though, of sorts."
"Shoot, Tex."
"No, we're not shooting Tex. We're going to stage a fake party."
"And how would that accomplish anything?"
"Well," Jamie began, "If what I’m reading about killers and their habits is right, then they tend to kill in similar places."
"Might as well give it a shot," sighed Sophie. "But if this ruins my sleep schedule, I'll kill you."
"Really? Death threats?" scoffed Jamie.

________________________________________

The stage was set. Loud pop punk music blared from every room. Assorted extras appeared, none looking suspicious whatsoever, and each looking like they enjoyed parties once, before it was cool.
"It seems to be going well," said Sophie.
"Is it?" asked Jamie sincerely. "I’ve never thrown a party before."
"I bet a lot of people were shocked to get an invite from you of all people."
"I bet a lot of people are shocked Kelly is here."
Kelly was on the couch talking loudly to a group of people just about as popular and preppy as her
Jamie continued. "But I’m shocked there’s no light flickering."
Sophie shrugged. "Eh, I could go without a seizure for a bit."
Jamie rolled his eyes. "Medical condition jokes. Not that great of a change."
Suddenly, lights off.
"It's go time," said Jamie.
Jamie and Sophie ran outside. The lights flickered. People seemed unfazed. Sophie remarked, "Do they not see the lights flickering around them?"
Jamie replied, "Maybe everyone's too wasted off this cheap fake liquor."
Sophie sighed. "Hipsters."
They squirmed through the crowd and went to the breaker box. The cloaked figure is there, wielding a baseball bat. They all stare at each other for a bit.
The figure then grabbed the base ball bat and swung at Jamie, who ducked. The figure then kicked Jamie over, pushing past Sophie, and ran.
They sprinted back to the backyard, which has filled a bit more. Pushing past more people, Jamie and Sophie enter the house behind the figure and jumped to tackle it. The three of them hit the ground, figure on bottom, the bat out of reach.
As with the other thuds, silence fell upon the party. One hipster cried, "This party is whack. I'm out." Upon saying this, there began a mass exodus outside the party. All who were left were the same eleven, accompanied this time by Anderson and Johnny, who weren't invited.
Anderson exclaimed, "Hah! I knew it! It was you all along!"
Jamie retorted, "We all know you have no idea who it is, Anderson." Anderson sat, and Jamie continued, "All right. This search has ended. I'm going to lift the mask. Brace yourselves."
Jamie lifted the mask slowly to reveal—Hannah.
Everyone gasped.
"It's Kelly's Hannah!" cried Ruby.
"Kelly's Hannah?" replied Hannah, speculatively.
"HANNAH?!" cried Kelly.
"Why'd you do it, Hannah? Why'd you kill Brandon?" asked Jamie.
"It's obvious, isn't it?" asked Hannah. The crowd shook their heads. "I did it because he was infringing on my turn ups!"
"Your what?" asked Jamie, unbelieving. Everyone gave Hannah a blank stare.
"My parties? He was trying to edge his way into the party game, and you can’t JUST do that, especially if you're a loser like him," clarified Hannah. The stares continued.
"BRANDON WAS A GOOD MAN!" cried a voice. Everyone turned to look at its owner, Anne.
"So what now, you call the cops? Get yourselves arrested for underage drinking? Maybe some assault too? Or you just let me go, and we forget all of this," reasoned Hannah.
"No, we have a better idea," said Jamie.
Anne wielded the axe and raised it well above Hannah's head.
Lights off.
Splat.
Silence.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.