Not A Normal Love Story | Teen Ink

Not A Normal Love Story

January 28, 2014
By Navdeep Kaur, New York City, New York
More by this author
Navdeep Kaur, New York City, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Melissa P.O.V


“I HATE MONDAYS” I said out loud.

The alarm clock started to ring at 7:30 in the morning. I unfortunately got myself out of my warm bed and dragged my long legs to my bathroom. I looked like a mess, my light brown hair was everywhere and my blue eyes screamed that I still needed sleep. So I began my day with a nice warm shower and picked some nice but comfy clothes. I wasn't one of those girl that went to school looking like a model, I just wore simple black leggings and a long shirt . Then I started to brush my hair but I was too lazy to do anything fancy with it. All of sudden my phone started to ring, and I already knew who it was. I picked up my phone and yelled
“I will be there in 2 minutes, Mark”. I
heard Mark chuckle and then said
“ Melissa stop yelling”. I told him “bye” and then hanged up the phone and started making my way down stairs. I grab a granola bar for the car ride and said “Bye!” to my mother, I already knew dad was already gone for work and Ryder my adorable little brother was still at his friends house because of the sleepover they had last night. As I made my way to Mark’s car, I yelled “hello again!” and jumped into his car. He just smiled, the sun making his hair which was spiked in different directions looking lighter than it already was. The car started to move in the direction of our school. It was really weird, Mark has never been this quiet before and everytime I would try to make small talk, he would just end it with “yep” or “ I didn’t know”.


It has been a really long day not only because of school work but also because Mark was still acting awkward and being in all of his classes so that didn’t help with awkwardness. As I walked out of school, my crazy teenage mind remembered that today was Cathy's party, so I asked Mark if he was coming and he just said “no”. Jason my loving boyfriend, even his name makes my heartbeat faster also said he wasn’t coming because he had soccer practice, which was weird cause he usually had practices on Mondays but today was Friday but he said that mean couch moved the day. I wasn’t in the mood to go through another awkward car ride so I told him that I just walk home. As I walked home, my mind kept returning to mone thought, Mark was so awkward today, but why ? All of the sudden the same feeling returned, but nobody was around, I noticed turning my head. My pace quickly got faster as I got home in half the time.

Melissa P.O.V


“ Hey Melissa, glad that you came” Cathy shouted from behind me. “ Well, thanks for having me!’’ I yelled so my voice can be heard over the loud pop music. I started to make my way through the big crowd that was only in the living room. There were people in every corner of the house. ‘‘ Hey Melissa’’ this kid from my math class said, I didn’t really remember his name. Like he was reading my mind, he answered the question I nevered asked “my name is kyle, I am in your math class’’ he answered sounding not offered . “I know that Kyle’’ I said trying to hide my confusion about his name. “Sure, so are you here alone” Kyle asked, as I took a sit on chair that looked the most cleanest than the rest of them. “ Yep, Jason had practice and Mark didn’t want to come, how about you” I answered, as I notice him taking a seat right next to me. “ Same, just single me coming to the party alone’ he answered, with a frown. “ Oh it’s ok, maybe you could find a girl here” I said trying to make him feel better.


“ Well there is this one girl, but she is taken by this guy” he said, sadness coating each word. Well, it’s ok there are others girls’’ I said noticing that he was getting closer to me, I started to shift uncomfortably in my chair. ‘‘ No I only like this girl, and I only want her’’ he said turning his head so his light brown eyes burned into my blue eyes. This guy is a weirdo, now I know why I never even said hi to him. “ I have to go, it was nice talking to you” I said trying to hide my nervousness. “ Yea, it was nice talking to you, see you later’’ Kyle said, running his hand through his brown curly hair and then winked.



As I walked out the party, the music still blaring, which I bet can be heard from miles, I still felt Kyle’s eyes glaring at the back of my head. “Melissa you are leaving already, its only 10, stay a bit longer” Catty said, grabbing my arm and trying to pull me back, in the crowd that smells like beer and sweat. “ No thanks Cathy I really have to go” I said walking out, and from my the corner of my eye, I could see Kyle’s eyes still following me.

........................................................................................................






“ THE PARTY WAS GREAT’’ I said quietly to myself as I walked home. Cathy’s house is really big, so there were so many people. Last I remember there were plastic cups everywhere even on her mom’s favorite black rug. I felt kind of bad for Cathy, she was left to clean a house with 5 rooms, and if she didn’t her mom will be really pissed off but I know her mom will understand because unlike my mom and dad, she actually tries to understand Cathy. Otherwise the party was really fun but I still wish that Mark or Jason would have came but not both of them together because there is always this awkward silence when we are all together. Kyle from math class was really creepy but I am trying to forget him . The winter air started to pick up its rate . As my phone light up,the time had went by so fast that it was already 10:30 so nobody was outside.


There is no one around so I decided to call my mom so I didn’t feel scared.She didn’t pick, but she always picks up I said loudly to myself .So I try calling Jason and the only thing I could hear was his voicemail. . All of sudden had the same feeling that someone was following me, I stopped for a brief moment, “ calm down Melissa nobody is there” I said quietly to myself but then I started to hear light footsteps coming from behind me. I started to pick up my pace, actually I think I was running because there were no store around and there were less houses, it was mostly trees. Thanks mom and dad for living in upstate New York, and not in the city. As I heard the footsteps getting heavier, my heart beat getting faster and faster like any second a alarm would go off and my heart would jump out. however, I was so tired of being scared and always having the same feeling over and over again. So when the next turn comes, I will turn around and face the stalker. I saw another corner and started to make my pace slower. I heard the footsteps getting lighter as well but my heart beat was just getting faster, even though it was winter, I was sweating like a animal. As I approached the corner, I whispered ‘’ God please help me” and then quickly turned my head, but as soon as I turned my head , I felt a heavy object on the side of my head. Everything started to spin around and the only thing I could see was a person with ski mask, I fell to the hard floor, “H...help’” I was trying to scream but it only came out like whisper before I could say anything else everything went blank.

Melissa P.O.V


As I slowly opened my eyes, I notice that I wasn’t in my room and the bed that I was lying on was mine either. I slowly started to get up, at first everything was still spinning but then it slowly stopped. ‘ HELP ME, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, IS ANYONE THERE’ I yelled loudly .I started to walk around, the room was clean, it was painted a color of purple and all the furniture was neatly placed and cleaned. But then I started to notice that room looked kind of like mine. I looked around for any weapon that I can use, when I opened the closet I only found girl clothes, and in the dresser was more women products. ‘ This person is so creepy’ I said loudly to myself. All of sudden the door opened, and I stopped moving and just froze, I wasn’t even breathing . I tried to calm myself down and then I could smell a familiar perfume. I quickly turned and yelled ‘OMG’ , my heart beat racing with happiness, a smile started to find its way on my face. ‘ Thank god you are here Mark’ I yelled. ‘ But wait how did you find me, but that’s not important lets go before some weirdo comes’ I said in a low voice. I started to make my way to door but then Mark slammed the door shut. ‘ What the hell Mark, what is wrong with you’ I yelled at him but he just stood there like a idiot, so I tried opening the door but to my surprize it was locked.


Then Mark started to laugh and the only thing I could say was’ what the hell’. He suddenly grabbed my arm and throw me against the wall. My right arm was now paining like someone stabbed a knife through it. He then rushed over to where I was standing and he looked worried, he kept asking if I was ok. I quickly pulled away from him and slapped him across his face. ‘ What is wrong with, first you locked me in this room and then you start to laugh like a crazy person and then all of sudden you throw me against the wall and now you are pretending to care’ I yelled as loud as I could. Then I saw him turning red with anger.What is he so mad about, I thought silently. He then again through me at the wall and again my right arm hit the wall. What he said next, just shook my world upside down. ‘ Shut up, just shut up, I really care about, you just made me angry so I had to release the anger. Stop calling for help because none can hear you, you aren’t going anywhere, this is where you will live forever’ he stated that last part with a smile on his face and his tone changed to happiness.



I was in shock, I couldn’t think of anything to say, but I could feel anger start to build inside me so I attacked Mark, I slapped him across his face. His face started to get red with anger and before he could try to hurt me I kicked him in stomach and he fell to the ground. As soon as he fell, I started to kick him over and over again and then a key fell out of his pocket As I was about to pick it up, he suddenly grabbed my hand but before he could do anything I kicked once again and he fell to the other side. I picked up the key and jammed it in the keyhole and then there was a click. I heard Mark getting up so I quickly opened the door and got out and to buy me more time to escape I closed the door behind me.

Melissa P.O.V


“Melissa, get back here!” screamed Mark. Those words only made me go faster.
I could see the front door, the light beamed over the top crevice. A smile creeped on my face, knowing that he thought he could keep me in this jail forever. As I was making my last steps to the door, I heard ‘ HELP, HELP’, so I knew it wasn’t Mark yelling. But that innocent little voice was very familiar , ‘ Ryder, Ryder’ , I started to yell and could feel the worry in my voice. The voice was coming from inside a room, I could feel my hands getting wet with sweat, my heart beat started to raise again, I placed my hand slowly on the door knob, I gripped the door knob tightly and quickly opened the door only to come face to face with my sweet little brother crying his eyes out. As soon as he saw me, he started to yell " Melissa help me '. I froze at my spot, my hands, feet getting ice cold as I saw blue, purple marks all over his legs and arms. " I am going to kill Mark for even touching you" I said, anger and revenge coating each word. I looked around, the room looked completely different from the other room, it was dirty and there was only a wooden chair. ‘ Melissa help me please, I want to go home to mommy and daddy ‘ Ryder said crying, there was fear in his voice, I looked down at him and noticed that was clothes he wore yesterday before leaving to school and he didn’t come home because he should have been at his friend's house but his clothes were now ripped. I started to hear heavy footsteps coming towards Ryder and I, I already knew who it was so I slowly looked up I could see Mark smiling like he had just won a award. Just then I kicked him in his leg which made him fall to the floor and then I started punching him over and over again. I wasn’t mad that he took me anymore , but furious that he hurt Ryder. ‘AHHHHH’ screamed Ryder, as I turned around I saw sharp blades coming out of the chains and cutting Ryder pale skin. Dark blood drops started to drip from his hands.


I ran over to Ryder and trying to get the chains off his hands, it didn’t matter that I also had sliced my own skin in the process and blood was dripping from my own hand. ‘ Stop trying with those chains, they won’t come off unless I want them to come off’ I heard Mark say, I could sense the humor in his voice. ‘ Why are you hurting Ryder, leave him alone otherwise’ I was cut off by Mark ‘ hahaha you really thing that you can harm me, Melissa I know that you are capable of escaping but I also know that you would do anything for your brother. ‘ What the hell is wrong with, are you going crazy, why are we here and why are you hurting Ryder’ I yell, I could sense the demanding tone in each of questions. I saw Mark walk to a corner of the room, which had a chair. He then sat down and started to speak ‘ Melissa, the only reason Ryder is here because you will try to escape, and I can’t let that happen ’. I was so confused, what does he even mean. Before he could say anything else , I said ‘ but why Mark, we are best friends and you loved Ryder like he was your brother, then why did you kidnap both of us.’ All of sudden Mark started to get mad,his face was getting redder ‘ That’s the point Melissa , we are only best friends , I don’t want to your best friend, I want to be your boyfriend and I want to share my life with you’ he stated the last part calm. but then got pissed again and said ‘ You only pay attention to that jerk Jason’. He got up from his chair and threw the wood chair across to the hard wall, the chair broken into pieces.



Ryder screamed because the blades were back. ‘ Stop hurting Ryder, if this your problem, then I promise as soon as we go home , I will break up Jason and we could give us a try ‘ I also quickly added that I wasn’t going to say anything about what happened. ‘ Oh ok sure, do you think I am some kind of idiot, I know that as soon as i let Ryder and you go, you will never return to me and I won’t risk losing you. So you will stay here and we could live happily if you listen to me and I won’t hurt your brother if you won’t try to escape’. I was so lost in his words that I didn’t even notice him walking closer and closer to Ryder and I. The blades disappeared from the chains and I quickly hugged Ryder so he would stop crying. Mark then turned around and walked out the room, he closed the door and then I heard a click I couldn’t let Mark hurt Ryder , but we can’t stay here forever,will looks like I need a plan.

Mark P.O.V



As I locked the door of room where Melissa and Ryder were, the only thing that came to mind was how much I love Melissa. I wish she loved me back, so I wouldn’t have to take her and her brother but I had no choice. Melissa only loved Jason, and I was only a friend to her. That’s what I hated. I walked over to the front door and made my way over to the windows that I have used wood to block , everything was lock and secure , so there was no way Melissa could get out. It was a good thing that I was her friend otherwise it would have been difficult to handle her because she is a strong girl and could do anything for her family especially Ryder. The only reason I had to hurt Ryder was because he wouldn’t calm down and I myself was really upset because I saw Melissa laughing and hugging Jason earlier today in school. I hate when Melissa feels happy around Jason.

“Ahhhhhh” the scream interrupted my train of thoughts. I was so mad I didn’t even notice, I pressed the button that makes the blades on Ryder’s chain come out. ‘ Mark, stop hurting Ryder’ I heard Melissa scream loudly. I quickly pressed the button, so the blades will go back in. I ran over to the door and unlocked it. As I walked I could see Melissa tightly holding on to Ryder but then I noticed that there was blood coming out of Melissa’s hand. ‘ Melissa, are you ok, let me see your hand. As I reached out to grab her bloody hand, she quickly moved away from me and said ‘ Stop the acting Mark, don’t you dare touch me after what you did to Ryder for no reason’. I could feel my anger getting the best of me and then I screamed ‘ look I didn’t know I pressed the button, I kept thinking about about you and Jason and didn’t know what I was doing. And you should be thankful, that I didn’t kill because he said coming in the way.’ My last statement really pissed off because Melissa started to turn red and then she kicked me in the knee, so I feel to the ground and was eye level with her. ‘ Touch Ryder, and watch what will happen’.




It was so cute, how she was trying to threaten me, I started to laugh loudly, and Melissa face expression changed to confused and hatred. ‘ You are disgusting Mark, you really need some help’ Melissa said with anger. Again my anger started to take over and before I could control my self, I stood up and kicked Ryder in the stomach. ‘ Ryder, Mark why did you do that, he didn’t even say anything, you should've hurt me not Ryder.’ Melissa yelled, I then grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the room, ‘ LEAVE ME, LET ME GO,RYDER NEEDS ME’ was the only thing Melissa said. Her hand was bleeding even more and she was the only I cared about, so I took her away from Ryder so I could treat her hand.

Melissa P.O.V




As Mark dragged me to the room, where I came from, I kept thinking about Ryder and how much he needs me right now. ‘ Let me go Mark, what is wrong with you’ I yelled at Mark. He didn’t say a word and just forced me to sit on bed. He went to the wood closet and took out a first aid kit. He quickly walked over to me and sat on the bed next to me. I have never felt so awkward around him so I moved a little back. Mark just then looked up and he let out a sign like he was annoyed. Mark moved a little closer but then a remote looking things was hanging for his keys, he had never had that before. It must be the remote to Ryder chains and the blades. I need those keys to escape, but I can’t take them now he would just catch, I need to do it when he isn’t looking. As I calm myself down,he again tried to reach out for my hand but I just moved back. ‘ Melissa stop acting like a child and give me your hand, look its bleeding and I don’t like that’ Mark said with a hint of worry in his voice. ‘ I don’t care what you like, let me go to Ryder and he needs the treatment more than me’ I said to Mark. I could see Mark getting annoyed and then he said ‘ ok Melissa if you give me your hand and won’t say an another word, you could help your brother but if you don’t stop, the next thing you will hear will be your little brother screams of pain, understood. I just shook my head, I didn’t want to risk anything.


Mark took my hand wrist in his hand and pulled my hand closer to him. He started to clean the cuts slowly. I winced at pain and Mark started to clean it even slower. He really did care about me, but this was no way to share it. Even he knew that I loved Ryder more than anything and would never even like someone if they hurt him. Mark had some problems that he need help with like his anger. Now I not only did I have to escape for Ryder but also so Mark could get some help.
“Almost done Melissa” Mark said snapping me out of my thoughts.
He wrapped the bandage around my hand softly and careful. ‘ Done Melissa’ Mark said and I was about to pull my wrist out of Mark’s grip but his grip just tighten. His eyes met mine and then he said ‘ Melissa I really cared about you’ Mark said, with the hint love. ‘ Mark let me go, I want to go to Ryder like you said before’ I said not knowing how to respond to his previous statement and not wanting to risk my chance to meet Ryder. For a minute Mark just stared at me and then slowly said ok. . We walked down the stairs with Mark behind me but I could feel his eyes burn behind me, he didn’t say anything, he only stared at me.


‘ MELISSA YOUR BACK ’ Ryder yelled with excitement in his voice and a big smile on his face but as soon as he saw Mark his face started to tense up and his smile vanished in thin air. I quickly walked over to him and whispered so only he could hear that ‘ everything will be ok’. His eyes light up with my statement and the smile slowly returned. ‘ Can you take the chains off so I could clean his wounds’ I said calmly and nicely to Mark so he would listen. ‘ Do you think I am stupid, the answer is no and don’t push just moved the chains upward his arm’ Mark responded like it was nothing that my brother was bleeding. Mark made his way over to us and loosened the chain and moved it upwards but then quickly tighten it again. Ryder winced at the pain, I took Ryder’s pale hand in my hand and started to clean his wounds. Everytime the cotton ball would touch his hand, he would shake. I felt so bad that I couldn’t help him, I wish that all of the pain goes away.


Tears started to form in my eyes but I couldn’t cry. If I cry right now, Ryder would also cry and will lose all of the hope he has to escape from here. I started to clean all of the wounds on his legs, every time I saw another mark on his leg, my anger would boil like water on a stove. ‘Hurry up Melissa, we don’t have all day’ Mark said getting annoyed, I quickly glared at him, but his face had changed expression as he looked in my eyes. ‘ Melissa why are you crying, please stop I can’t see you’ Mark sai stepping closer, but before he could move a inch, I put my hand up and he stopped. ‘ Mark just leave me alone, this is all your fault’ I said while wiping away the tears I didn’t even notice had fallen. ‘ Melissa this isn’t my fault, if only you were able to see my lover for you, if you didn’t start liking Jason then we could have been together’ Mark said getting anger, I wanted so much to go and slap him across the face but I couldn’t, not when Ryder was still in the blades. ‘ Just stay away from me, ok’ I said calmly and he didn’t reply. He walked to the door and turn around to look at me, for what seemed like a hour, he finally turned around and walked out but not forgetting to lock the door. I brought Ryder into a tight hug, and looked into his big ocean colored eyes and said something I was determined to do ‘ I would take you home very quickly, just believe in me’. The next thing he said just boosted my determination even more, ‘ of course I believe in you, you have always been my hero’.

Melissa P.O.V




‘ Melissa I am starving, my stomach is calling for food’ Ryder said, trying to sit up. Oh my god, did Mark even feed Ryder anything, I don’t even think Mark would give Ryder water even from the gutter. It was like Mark was listening to our conversation, that he walked in and asked, ‘ Melissa, there is some food outside come and eat. ‘ Mark, Ryder can’t eat outside, if you have him chained’ I said in duh sounding tone. Mark’s eyes watched Ryder and I carefully and finally said ‘ Melissa I said that food was ready for you, the food isn’t for Ryder’ Mark said copying my tone. ‘ I will not move until you give Ryder some food to and don’t you dare use the blades as a weapon, if you do I won’t eat either’ I said loudly but inside praying that he would listen to me. He then started to make his way out of the door. For what seemed like an hour, Mark returned with food tray’s in his hands and slowly put them down near Ryder and I.


‘ Here’s something for you and Ryder to eat’ Mark said standing up, he then just waited and watched. Apparently he wants to stay here, to make sure that Ryder and I eat. I removed my hand from around Ryder, then leaned forward and brought the food closer. I started to look at the food carefully, making sure he didn’t do anything to Ryder’s food. ‘ See there are two nice hamburgers’ Mark said, maybe he noticed my intense stare down with the hamburgers. I still didn’t trust him so I slowly reached for the hamburger, with shaking hands. The hamburger started to shake in my hands as well, I slowly made it to my mouth, knowing that if there is something wrong with the food, I would be affect first not Ryder. ‘ Melissa stopping acting like a child and eat the burger, I didn’t poison it with anything ok’ Mark said getting annoyed. I quickly took a bite and waited for anything to happen but nothing happened, it didn’t taste like anything and Mark was really telling the truth. I started to feed Ryder the food, he quickly started to eat everything, I felt so bad I feed him half of my food. ‘ Stop feeding him your food and eat’ Mark said sounding mad. I quickly ate my burger, Mark just looked and took the plates, walked out always remembering to lock the door. ‘ Melissa I want to go home, where there is more food then blend hamburgers that only had bread and meat, no tomato, no ketchup, no nothing and I don’t like being here, with these chains, I want to leave’ Ryder said moving closer to move and placing his round head on my right shoulder that still burned with pain. I needed to find a way to leave, thats means I have to leave the room and leave Ryder alone. I need to get my hands on his keys and find any place thats had opening to the outside world. ‘ We are leaving very soon Ryder don’t worry go to sleep, ok’ I said to Ryder trying to confront him, with that he quickly fell fast asleep.

Melissa P.O.V




I slowly open my eyes, but something was different I was not longer sleeping on the wall with Ryder’s small body in my arms. I was laying on a soft mattress and could feel a heavy blanket on top. “ Where am I” I said trying to get up, but there was something heavy, that was gripping to my stomach. I traveled my hand near my stomach and felt it was a arm, but it wasn’t Ryder’s arm. “ Ahhhhhhh” I screamed, as the arm removed itself from me and I fell face flat on the floor. “ What the hell is wrong with you, Melissa” Mark yelled,as he turned on the lamp.
“ What the hell is wrong with, why I am here, with you in the same bed and where is Ryder” I yelled in a higher voice. Mark made is way off the bed and got really close to me and said “ Don’t you dare talk to me like that, Melissa and what did you think I was going to let you sleep on the floor, I wanted you close to me, so when you want to sleep, I brought up here”. “ Did you really think I would want be close to you, have to lost your mind. I don’t want even to be in the same country as you because I hate you” I said each word with anger and disgust.



Mark’s jaw clenched and he started to shake. “ MELISSA” I heard from the other side of the door.” Oh my god, Ryder” I whispered to myself. I ran towards the door and started to tug on the door, but it was locked. “ This is your punishment for telling me that you hate me, everytime you do something I don’t like, your sweet little brother would suffer” Mark said with humor in his voice. “ Why, don’t you hurt me, it's my fault, look” I said through clenched teeth. Mark started to walk where I was and stopped only few inches away , “ Melissa because I love you but you don’t understand, and I know you will listen to me if Ryder is suffering” he stated like it was nothing.
“ Ok I won’t say anything and sleep here but stop hurting Ryder” I said trying to mask my anger. “ See I don’t ask for much” Mark said as Ryder screams stopped and Mark pulled me closer to the bed and layed me down and quickly want around, before placing his arm around my stomach not forgetting to close the lamp.


I could hear light snoring in my left ear, which meant that Mark was sleeping. Please help me GOD, I thought as I tried to find the pockets of Mark’s pants. I needed to get the keys so Ryder and I can escape. As I found the pocket, Mark moved a little, “ please don’t wake up” I said as whisper. He then stopped moving, it got so quiet that you could hear a raindrop fall. I reached in his pocket, hoping he doesn’t feel anything and almost screamed in joy when I felt the keys. I started to pull it out and gripped on the keys so it won’t make any sound. Mark’s arm was still around my waist but the grip had loosened. So I slowly pulled myself out and placed the pillow that I was using.




I had no idea, where I was going but I couldn’t make any noise otherwise my plan will fail . I gripped on the keys tighter and all of sudden this little light appeared on the floor. Oh my god I remember Mark had a little flashlight key chain. I shined the light around the room, but stopped when I noticed the door. I made my way to the door and quickly but quietly places each key in the keyhole. Suddenly one key fitted and as I turned it I could hear a click. “ yayy” I said trying to keep my voice low. I took the keys out of the keyhole and opened the door, praying it won’t make a sound, which thankfully weren’t long enough to hear. I ran down the hall and then the stairs. It was as dark and quiet as the bedroom. I found the door to Ryder’s room and opened the door.
“ Who is it” Ryder asked,” Shhh, Ryder it’s me, we are leaving ok” I said as grabbed Ryder’s chains. “ Here hold this, press this button so there is light” I said as I handed him. Again I fit each key in the chains keyhole but it wasn’t working. “ Need help or more light” I heard but it wasn’t Ryder’s voice.

Melissa P.O.V



My body was in complete shock, the light turned on, and my eyes slowly turned to the door where I found Mark standing there , his hands turning into fist, changing color to yellow . “ You never stop”, Mark yelled as he walked over to where I was. Before I could react , Mark grabbed my arm and forced me to stand up but then slapped me across the face, I landed on the floor while Mark took the keys and the blades aprened. “ Meliss help me” Ryder yelled but before I could get up another slap was placed on my face and was followed by a kick in the stomach. “ This time you will regret playing with me, I actually thought won’t do anything as you layed next to me ,I was so happy but you ruined it again now you will the screams of you brother” Mark yelled as he walked out of the room.

Bent under the pressure of my body, my arms felt wobbly. At any moment, they would give up, sink and surrender under the pain. Ryer, several feet in front of me, in pain
But before my weak arms could reach out to Ryder, the sound of Mark’s heavy footstep reappeared, through my small eyelashes holding on to a glass with a towel wrapped around it , I had no clue why he had water with steam coming out of it but his next action explained it all. Mark walked over to where Ryder was screaming and his blood was making small puddles. He started to spill water on wounds that blades had created. “ AHHHHHHHHHH” Ryder yelled, the hot water was so that wounds on Ryders arm would burn. “ Stop hurting Ryder, look I am sorry for playing with you and I won’t do it again, I give up” I said feeling helpless, knowing that Mark will always catch us and harm Ryder and I was worried that one day Mark might kill Ryder, which I won’t be able to bear.


“ Wait, what did you say, finally you understand but if you try anything again, I promise you that I would hesitate in killing Ryder” Mark said while walking near me, he bent over to where I was and his expression changed from angry to worried. “ I am so sorry Melissa, I was so mad I didn’t notice that I was hurt you, please forgive me or else” Mark said getting angry, was he asking for my forgiveness or demanding me to forgive him but it didn’t matter right now, I just need Mark to stop hurting Ryder. “ Get up Melissa and follow me” Mark demanded as he helped me up. Ryder was across the room, his blue eyes filling with water. “ Ryder, please don’t cry” I said crying, Mark pulled me out the room and as the door closed I could see Ryder’s eyes fill with sadness. As Mark pulled me upstairs, I knew that I couldn’t give up so easily, I need to leave but I have to wait for the right mom

Melissa P.O.V

I have no idea, how long its been but the light from the crack on the window which was missing wood, would appear and then after a while it will disappear.The only good thing is Mark no longer tortures Ryder but doesn’t let me see him much. “ Melissa, what are you thinking” I heard Mark yell as he walked over to the bed where I was sitting. “ Nothing Mark, when can I see Ryder” I said with desperation. Mark took a seat right next to me but no matter what I couldn't move, I needed him to think that I was comfortable around him. “ After you shower, and eat something” Mark replied and I just nodded my head. I started to walk to the bathroom, that I just recently discovered, after the big fight Mark showed me the bathroom and clothes that I first time I came.


I quickly ran into the bathroom and the locked it. I was really glad that it had a lock otherwise I would have this fear that Mark would just come in. I turned on the shower so he would think I was showering but actually I was planning for the escape. There was only soap and shampoo in the bathroom which could come in handy
.” Melissa, how long will you take” Mark asked from the other side of the door.
“ 5 more minutes” I yelled over the running water.
I started to wet the soap and it became softer. Using the shampoo’s bottle cap, I started to scrape pieces of soap in the shampoo bottle and then mixed it. I knew that the soap will burn his eyes, which would give me some time to escape.” Melissa it has been 5 minutes” Mark yelled, now sounding irritated.
“ Yea one more second” I yelled, wetting my hair and changing into the new clothes, so it will look like I took a shower.



As I walked out, I wished I would have watched where I was going because I headed straight into Mark. “Sorry ” I said as I tried to make my around Mark but his hand gripped onto my arms and pulled me closer, if that was even possible. “ Mark, you are hurting my arms, let me go” I said trying to get out of his tight grip. He didn’t say anything, his hand travel up to my face and moved some hair out of my face. “ You look really beautiful, Melissa” Mark said bringing his face closer to mine. “ Mark “ I said, and pushed him away. There was confusion and hurt written all over his face but before those expressions can change into anger, I spoke up “ Mark, I am trying my best to understand your l...love but it will take me sometime” I said to Mark, praying inside that he would understand and my plan could go on. I stood there worried until he finally said “ I understand Melissa, sorry I couldn’t stop myself. You have no idea how long I wanted to ask if you wanted to go on a date with me or just kiss you”.



“ Oh my God” I yelled out loud, oops that wasn’t meant for Mark to hear. “ Wait, did I miss something” Mark asked very confused, what should I say, I am such an idiot, I should just tell him my plan to escape.” Well, Melissa why did you said yell oh my God” Mark asked bringing me out of my thoughts”. I ran my hand through my hair and started to speak “ be..... because I think we should go on a date so maybe this could feel like a relationship”. I should give myself a high five, it actually sounded convincing. “ Oh ok, so would you go on a date with me Melissa” Mark questioned sounding nervous. “ Yea” I replied, Mark was smiling ear to ear. “ Ok, am going to plan something” he said, as he walked me back to the room. “ Ok, I am going to prepare for our first date” Mark said, closing the door and then locking it. The feeling of guilt started to build up, I knew it was horrible to play with his heart but he kidnapped Ryder, locked both of us in this house and most importantly tortured Ryder, so I have do this to Mark for Ryder.

Mark 's P.O.V
Happiness filled my whole body,my dreams were coming true. I quickly ran down the stairs and headed for the kitchen, which really only had a few frozen food, stove and microwave, it wasn’t the best but we weren't going to stay here forever. “ What should I make today, Melissa been eating burger and pizza but today the food should be fancy” I thought loudly. “ Pasta, Melissa always loved the pasta I make”. My hands started to search through the kitchen of the , “ yes” I screamed as I found pasta and some sauce. My hands were shaking from happiness as I dropped the pasta in boiling water. “ Melissa,melissa are you there” I heard Ryder yelling, that kid is so annoying but I should be thankful, if it wasn’t for him, Melissa would have never stayed.


My legs in full speed headed for the room Ryder was in. With my leg, I pushed open the door and Ryder’s face became pale. “ Stop calling for Melissa, today is a very special day, today Melissa will start liking me because we have a date , so don’t be annoying and ruin it, understand” my voice was filled with happiness until Ryder started to speak “ M...Melissa will never like you because you are a horrible person”. My happiness quickly faded and anger took over. my legs bent down to be eye level with Ryder, my hazel eyes were burning into Ryder blue eyes, “ how dare you, if I was a horrible person, you wouldn’t be alive but as soon Melissa becomes mine, you will be gone forever” I said through clenched teeth. Ryder’s little body started to shake as he looked down. “ But you can’t ruin today” I started getting up and heading out the door.


Cold water splashed on my face, I needed to calm down, my anger started to less as I took deep breaths. The pasta was finishing cooking so I had to add the sauce. “ The table” I thought outloud and headed for the round little wood table. Using a wet cloth, I started to wipe off any dirt, really wishing that I was more prepared for this date, at least I had utensils. My mind started to think back to the day I was planning on bring Melissa, I got her all the things she might need like shower supplies and clothes also “ the dress” I screamed out loud, I remember seeing this beautiful dress in the store, and loved to see Melissa in it.



Unlocking the door, I found Melissa sitting on the bed lost in her thoughts. “ Melissa” I started snapping her out of her thoughts. She stood up, looking nervous, but why. “ Melissa why do you look nervous” I blurted out , “ No nothing just wonderin what we were going to eat” Melissa asked, I chuckled and stated “ you are so cute, and as for you question, we are having pasta”. A smile started to form on Melissa face. I knew she would like it, I started to make my way over to the closet. My hands pushed through each article of clothes looking for the dress. “ What are you looking for Mark” Melissa asked as my grabbed on to the dress. “ This dress, I want you to wear this today” I answered as I taking the dress off the hanger and placing it carefully on the wooden chair. “ Sure” Melissa replied, “ I am going to check on the pasta” I started, running out the door.

Melissa P.O.V

As I turned around to face myself in small mirror, I saw the long blood red dress fitting tightly around my hips and then flowing down to my feet. Pulling my hair in front due to the lack of any sleeves. Everything was looked good, the eyeshadow and lipstick matching perfectly with the dress. “ Melissa are you ready” I heard Mark say from the other side of the bathroom door. “ Yea almost” I answered, giving myself another look, if only this was a really date, I would have loved to look like this. Remembering that today was an important day, I grabbed the travel size shampoo bottle with soap in it and using a piece of fabric tied it around my leg, thinking Mark to getting me a really long dress and a travel size shampoo bottle. Knocking started snapping me out of my thoughts, again.


Not waiting for another knock, I pulled open the door only to find Mark dressed in a fancy shirt with dark washed jeans. “ Wow, you look great Melissa” Mark stated as his scanned my whole body. “ Thanks, lets go” I said feeling uncomfortable under his gaze. After, glancing again Mark finally start to make his way down the stairs, walking carefully behind so the bottle doesn’t fall out. “ Give me your hand Melissa” Mark said pulling out his arm and opening his hand, hesitantly I placed my small cold hand into his big warm ones. He gently pulled down to the kitchen, where I saw a table with two plates holding pasta in them but my eyes only focused on the forks. Until now Mark only give finger food so I had no weapons.



He carefully took his hand out of my mine and pulled out the wooden chair which was placed at the right side of the table. Carefully walking to the chair and place myself in the chair, Mark pushed the chair in and walked over to his seat. I took this time, to look around when I saw his keys on the table which was a few feet away. Think Melissa, I need those key. “ What happened Melissa, start eating’’ Mark stated, “ yea but can we dance” I blurted out, wait did I just say dance. Confusion surfaced his face but then changed into a smile. “ Yea sure, but we don’t have any music” he answered, as his smile turned into a frown. “ No problem, we could just imagine there is music, right” I replied hoping he would agree but his answer never came, he just walked over to I was sitting and once again pulled out his arm. “ Want to dance” he asked. Nodding my head, I placed my hand into his and walked over to empty space.


He placed his hand my waist and guided my hand over to his shoulder. Slowly his feet started to move as he leadeth me around the room. We were getting closer to the table, but I couldn't let him see. “ Spin me because that’s my favorite part” I said with a big smile, he returned it by smiling and pulling me out. My hands stretched out the keys but I didn’t grab. Pulling me into his chest, Mark said in a mocking voice “ was that fun, want to go again”. I quickly nodded and before I knew it I was closer to keys and then grabbed them, hiding them in my hands. “ Melissa what is in your hand” Mark asked, freezing in place, I had no idea what to do. “ Melissa turn around” Mark’s loud angry voice, unfreezing me, his body moving closer, thinking fast I turned around and slapped him across the face. “ What the hell Melissa” Mark yelled but before he could grab me, I ran to the table and throw both plates of pasta at Mark. It landed all over his clothes and face.



“ What is wrong with you, now you are in trouble” Mark screamed and grabbed my arms and slapped my face causing me to land on wooden table. “ Let go of me” I screamed as Mark hovered over grabbing my wrist tightly. Trying to pull my skinny arms out of his hold, I kicked him in his stomach, “Ahhhhhh” Mark yelled as he let go of my right wrist which I used to grabbed the glass plate and smashed it against the back of his. “ MELISSA” Mark screamed in pain letting removing himself from ontop of me, holding his head while walking backwards, while I grabbed the forks.



My legs moved quickly to the direction of Ryder’s room. Pushing open the door only to come faced to face with his small round face, “ Melissa, help me Mark is going to kill me”. My anger just tripled, that little good feeling for Mark changed into larger. “ Don’t worry he won’t hurt you ever, ok” I said trying to calm him down as I jabbed the key in the chains, turning the key until I heard the click. “ Yayy, thanks you Melissa” Ruder yelled as he pulled his hand out of the chains and quickly squinted to the door. Suddenly I heard his screams, looking up my eyes almost popped out of their sockets. Standing there was a bloody Mark whose hand was placed around Ryder’s long neck. Ryder facing was slowly changing color. “ Let go of Ryder, you are going to kill” I yelled, using my bruised, weak hands and arms to get Mark’s hand off Ryder.


“ Now watch your little brother died, his little lifeless body would be thrown in the water” Mark screamed, wait did he say water and water means shower which means soap, oh yea the soap bottle. Snapping out my thoughts, I reached down to bottle and pulled it out of the fabric. The cap flying to the side of the room as I poured the soap water over Mark’’s face hoping some would go in his eyes, which it did. “ My eyes are burning, what was in that water” Mark claimed as he removed his hand from Rider's neck and placing them over his eyes. Bending my legs, I grabbed Ryder, pulling him up to my hips has his hands wrapped around my neck.


Before Mark could attack again, I stab the fork on the side of arm, earring another scream from him, as he tried to pull out the fork while turning around. Using all my energy, I kicked Mark in the back of his knee causing him to fall to the ground and stabbing the other fork in his back. This is the correct time to run but before I could move, Ryder screamed “ Stop, put me down”, “ what are you talking about” but before I could finish talking, Ryder unwrapped his hands and fell to the ground. He quickly ran over toward Mark but then changed and grabbed the chains. “ What are you doing,Ryder” I asked but without saying a word, he answered my question. He snapped the chain around,Mark’s wrist and came running to me. “ Unlock this chin, right now” Mark demand , when he noticed it was around his wrist because until now the fork in his back was impossible for him to move. “ Come on, lets go” Ryder said pulling me to the door.



The door of course was locked, “ Ryder go get those keys” I yelled but he already had them. As i tried each key, Mark started to scream “ Melissa get back here, you will regret this”. But before he could speak again the door made a click sound which mean it was open. “ Yayyyy” Ryder screamed as I pulled open the door ,only to see trees nothing else was in sight. But we had to leave, so I have to find my way around these trees. “ Melissa please don’t leave, I really love you, please don’t go, come back” Mark said softly and calmly but I can’t listen to him, we can’t go back now, I will not let Ryder suffer again. Turing around, with no emotion I replied
“ Goodbye Mark”




We walked around for what seemed like hours until we found something. It was Mark’s car and it was parked on side of street wait street “ OMG, CAR, STREET. WE’’ER SAFE” I yelled as I grabbed Ryder and pulled him over to the car. “ But wait, I don’t have the keys” I thought loudly, my happiness fading until Ryder started to laugh. “ Why are you laughing, Ryder” I said confused but then he pulled out the keys. “ Wait you brought the keys but why” I asked still very confused but very happy. “ Because it has a flashlight and we might in it” Ryder answered innocently. I grabbed Ryder and pulled him in a tight hug, “ I love you so much Ryder and I am very proud of you” I stated, while tears started to form in my eyes. “ I love you to and I am also very proud of you, because of you we escaped so lets get go, here are the keys” Ryder said, handing me the keys. I quickly unlocked the doors and helped Ryder get in before I sat in the driver’s seat. I had no idea where I was going as I looked out window but I knew we will be safe from Mark, I thought letting sigh of relieve escape my lips.

























THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Jul. 15 2014 at 1:04 am
Cheshirekat SILVER, Boise, Idaho
5 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
“A friend might well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Oh you can't avoid that; we're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

This needs desperate proofreading. There are parts that make no sense. Other than that it is a decent plot line.