Heartfelt | Teen Ink

Heartfelt

January 21, 2014
By seriously_iloveyou BRONZE, Altamonte Springs, Florida
More by this author
seriously_iloveyou BRONZE, Altamonte Springs, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will only cause permanent psychological damage"


When I turned just about 14, my mom told me a story about our families past. It wasn’t like your great-great grandfather died in a war. This story was more recent…as a matter of fact it happened one year ago on this date. It was a string of crimes happening. My mom’s sister, my aunt, was out one of those nights with her friends at a carnival on Coney Island’s boardwalk. Sadly, that was the last night she ever had said something. I’m making this note and a collection of newspaper clippings and other items into a scrapbook, maybe even a storybook…I don’t know. But sometimes it feels I’m connected with her. I know it’s impossible though, because I’d never met my aunt, but sometimes I can feel how she felt that night, like I can remember every detail…
Dedicated to Bella Parsons

“Bum Bump Bum Bump” A young heart is beating faster and faster as she runs under Coney Island’s boardwalk. Running, she was running for her life. All she could hear is the joy and laughter above her but that wasn’t what was going on under the boardwalk. She kept looking for someone, someone who could help her, but there was no one. Not a single soul insight until she turned around. There stood a big shadowy figure behind her, waiting anxiously for her to turn around. She thought it was someone who could help her until she heard his disgustingly hideous voice. His mouth uttered some words, “Time to come sit on Santa Clause’s lap!” She stood there, frozen, not knowing what to do. Should she run? Should she scream for help and try to overpower the fun and playful music above her? Just then a person wearing all red approached them. “Aaaaaaaahhhhh” screamed the girl.
~ Just a little before 2 weeks ~

New York Times Headlines: Italian Strike!
NYPD surrounded the area. It happened in a quiet little countryside, the killing of a young girl. The 2 lead detectives, Mary Vercelli and Joseph Berkley, stood aside waiting for the medical examiner to clue them in on what happened to the young soul lying dead on the ground. “It’s been a long time since we’ve seen a crime like this Mary” said Joey “I know it’s so gut-wrenching! We need to stop whoever is doing this” said Mary. Tanya, the medical examiner, called Mary and Joey over to the body. “Female, about 16 or 17, there is bruising around the neck and hands. They might have tied her up. I don’t know what they did to her face but there is a fine powder around that area, I will have to run tests on it back at the lab. They pulled her teeth and cut off her finger tips. Also when you turn her right wrist over, there is a heart. The psychos whoever they are branded her” Tanya explained “Do you think they are trying to send a message?” inferred Joey “It’s like they wanted to remind her everyday of her life, what happened this unfaithful night” said Mary “I also found this Italian Flag laying on her legs. I can tell you more when I do a full medical exam. I will call you down to the morgue later after I finish” said Tanya.
The Back Story –
The media had their fun and nicknamed the killers “The Italian Strikers.” The Italian Strikers were created by a couple American/Italian Mafia members. These men were sent to America to execute an accountant handling their bosses’ money. After they committed that crime the 2 guys called up their boss and said that they were done with Italy and were going to stay in America. Their boss was angry with them because they were his best guys. The boss called up his little brother’s mafia in New York. He asked them to keep an eye on these two men, just in case they decided to leak some information to the cops, and then started the killings of the young girls.
Later on that day…
Tanya, as she promised, called Mary and Joey down. “I know what those psychos did to her face. I ran tests on that fine powder, and the results were: sandpaper minerals. Those sickos sandpapered her face off” explained Tanya “Please tell me she went fast Tanya” said Mary “I wish I could, but I can’t. She didn’t die of choking; she died because of that heart! They let her bleed out and then do these extra things. The sandpapering of the face, cutting of the fingers, and pulling of the teeth were all post mortem” exclaimed Tanya. All Mary could do was look down at what once was a beautiful girl. Mary then stormed out of the room with Joey following her. Joey grabbed her arm to stop her and said “Mary, what’s wrong with you?” “Nothing” mumbled Mary “Nothing? It doesn’t look like nothing, now what happened? Why did you run off like that? I mean I’m mad to and ready to catch this guy, but you seem more…I don’t know” said Joey “I looked down at what used to be a beautiful little girl, full of life, and now she’s dead. I don’t know, but I do know that I will catch this maniac if it’s the last thing I do!” said Mary. She then shook Joey’s arm off of her and walked away.

The next day, a second victim was found. She was 18 years old. She was found next to a dumpster in Queens. Her face was sandpapered off, teeth pulled, fingers chopped off, an Italian flag placed on her legs, and on her right wrist a branded heart. Mary and Joey investigated but nothing! They couldn’t find a single shred of evidence or a witness. “Don’t lose faith, don’t lose faith” kept repeating Mary.

The next victim was a 20 year old woman. She was found in Little Italy. Same story as last time: No witness -or- evidence. The team was up to 3 victims and slowly diminishing.

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. The number of deaths just kept rising and rising. The team was tired, and they couldn’t sleep until they found the people committing these horrible crimes. Mary and Joey didn’t know what to do. They couldn’t find a witness or evidence.

The ninth victim was the youngest so far. She, sadly, was only 13. She was found the same way as the others. They couldn’t identify a single victim. Mary and Joey couldn’t find a witness or evidence. The team was worn out and exhausted. Mary and Joey were broken on the inside. It was more Mary though. She took it the hardest. She couldn’t believe nothing was found, that 9 young and beautiful girls were now lying dead in the morgue, she couldn’t believe that all nine were unidentified. Everyone was just about to give up, until a homeless man, named George, came into the NYPD squad room. He claimed he saw everything. Mary and Joey quickly had him sit down and explain what happened to them. He described everything he saw. What George didn’t know was that the Italian Strikers saw him. George saw the murder, he saw the guys sandpapering the girl’s face off, them pulling out her teeth, them taking out this little saw and chopping off her fingers. And then the Italian Strikers taking out a blade and carving a heart onto her right wrist, then they laid an Italian flag on her legs. He explained it all. Mary and Joey were convinced; they finally had a solid victim. George could even explain to a sketch artist what the two assailants looked like and what the girl looked like! It was already midnight and the two detectives were beat. The captain, Charles Swanson, told Mary and Joey to go home. George didn’t have anywhere to go so Joey showed George a room with cots. He didn’t care, it was better than the ground. Plus he would be safer there, rather than on the streets. So, George made himself comfortable, and Mary and Joey drove home. Around 1 am, in walks a pizza delivery guy. No one was there. “Hello! Pizza delivery! Anybody here?” screamed the pizza delivery guy. George woke up and went to see what was going on. George was starving! He said “I didn’t order a pizza and I don’t have any money!” “It is already paid for and there’s a note. It says” George, bought you a pizza. From, Joey. Enjoy!” said the pizza man. George took the pizza and went back to his cot. He reread the note and smiled. The Pizza Man got back in his car and took off his disguise. He was one of the Italian Strikers. George opened the pizza…

Mary and Joey got to work extra early the next day. They wanted to solve this case then and there. When they both walked out of the elevator, they saw firemen, paramedics, C.S.I., and their captain sitting and waiting for them. “Captain, what happened?” asked Mary “An explosion occurred. A pizza was sent to George last night and it was a bomb. Now, after the explosion, someone got in here and wrote something on the walls. Follow me” said Charles. He motioned for them to follow him. “Vediamo tutti. Andra’ meglio la prossima volta. What does that mean?” asked Joey “We had a translator come in, and it says ‘We see all. Better luck next time.’ We also found this.” said Charles “An Italian flag!” exclaimed Mary “Look, I don’t know how this person got in here, but I want them found and locked up. Got it everyone?!” screamed Charles. Mary saw the medical examiner team put George on the gurney. She saw his lifeless body; he was burnt to a crisp. Mary was so worn down, tired, and exhausted, she collapsed. Joey ran over to her and screamed “Call a bus!”
1 hour later –
Joey and Charles were standing to side talking with Mary’s emergency room doctor. “She is really exhausted and her body is worn down.” exclaimed the doctor “Thanks, Doc. That’s great news! As long as Mary is okay.” said Joey “I’m not done yet Joey. We ran some tests on Mary and we found something that isn’t supposed to be there. In her digestive tract she had this type of tranquilizer pill, the ones used for animals.” the doctor announced “Joey, we want to check you in also. With these people running around and poisoning your partner, we would like to run tests on you too. Just as a precaution.” stated the doctor. Just then Joey fainted in the hospital. Charles, the captain, didn’t know what to do. Both of his lead detectives were passed out in the hospital because the Italian Strikers had poisoned both of them. To make things even worse, they struck again and killed another girl, making her the 10th victim. Charles made some calls, and had some Special Victims Unit cops coming in to help work and finish this case.

Two S.V.U. detectives walked into the squad room. Their names were Antonio Rodriguez and Braden Duffield. They knew all about the case, and were ready to finish it. Again another girl was found, actually 2. One from November 4, and one from November 5. They were up to 11 victims. Both of the two victims were found the same way as the others. Except this time there was no witness. That didn’t stop Antonio and Braden though. They talked and examined everyone, everything, and everywhere, but found nothing. When both of them returned to the squad room, the captain sent them home. Instead, all 3 of them went to visit Mary and Joey. The doctor had good news, and predicted that they would wake up in the next couple of days.

That morning another girl was found, making her the 12th victim. She was 16 and found in an empty lot near Coney Island. She was found the same way as the others. This time, though, the S.V.U. detectives found some partial fingerprints and blood samples that didn’t match the victim. They ran the prints but didn’t find anything. “Sorry guys, there’s nothing much more I can do.” explained the Forensic Scientist “Okay, run the prints through the Italian FBI/Mafia-related crimes” ordered Braden “The what?” asked the Forensic Scientist “The Italian Federal Bureau of Investigation/Mafia-Related Crimes. Got it?” argued Antonio. They both were getting frustrated. 2 matches finally popped up on the screen. First match belonged to Alfredo Manfreidi; nicknamed Big Al. Manfreidi was part on an Italian Mafia. He did time for armed robbery, loan-sharking, drug-trafficking, possession, and 2nd degree murder. The 2nd print matched Alphonso Sgroia, nicknamed The Butcher. He also belonged to the same Italian Mafia Big Al was in. He did time for loan-sharking, possession, and 2nd degree murder. Antonio and Braden tried tracing their cell phones and couldn’t find out where they were. Then Antonio checked out their credit cards, and their banking. He found out that Big Al had made a recent purchase of animal tranquilizer pills. They got a warrant for both of Big Al and The Butcher’s blood. Antonio and Braden would have to wait for the warrant until tomorrow. They called it a day and went home.

That day there wasn’t any call of another victim. The Captain thought: “Great they are giving my guys a break for the day.” Unfortunately, the two Italian Strikers were planning for a fun night.
8 pm –
“Bum Bump Bum Bump” A young heart is beating faster and faster as she runs under Coney Island’s boardwalk. Running, she was running for her life. All she could hear is the joy and laughter above her but that wasn’t what was going on under the boardwalk. She kept looking for someone, someone who could help her, but there was no one. Not a single soul insight until she turned around. There stood a big shadowy figure behind her, waiting anxiously for her to turn around. She thought it was someone who could help her until she heard his disgustingly hideous voice. His mouth uttered some words, “Time to come sit on Santa Clause’s lap!” She stood there, frozen, not knowing what to do. Should she run? Should she scream for help and try to overpower the fun and playful music above her? Just then a person wearing all red approached them. “Aaaaaaaahhhhh” screamed the girl. No one heard her though. She started crying. She knew she was going to die. Back at the squad room, an anonymous tipster called and reported seeing Big Al and The Butcher at Coney Island. Braden and Antonio rushed to the scene. “What should we do first?” asked The Butcher “My favorite, the heart” said Big Al. The Butcher carved a heart into the girl’s right wrist. She was bleeding really badly. Then, all of the sudden, Braden, Antonio, Charles, and SWAT screamed “FREEZE!” They were surrounded. Big Al and The Butcher stopped. “You’re under arrest for assaulting a girl with a knife!” screamed Braden. Antonio rushed over to the girl. “C’mon baby girl an ambulance is on the way” Antonio exclaimed. “My name is Bella. Please help me!” He then looked over at a wall, and something was spray-painted on it. It read “Si vive una Volta sola. Ci stavamo diventendo.”
Translation from Italian: “You only live once. We were having fun.”
Finally they arrived at the police station. Big Al and The Butcher were placed in separate Interrogation rooms.
Interrogation Room A –
The only thing Big Al said was “My knife and my pasta, dat’s all I need.” He didn’t answer any of Braden’s questions.
Interrogation Room B –
The only thing The Butcher said was “ Ta’ slice or not ta’ slice; dat’s da question.” He didn’t answer any of Antonio’s questions.
Antonio and Braden finally got their warrant for the blood samples of Alphonso and Alfredo. The Forensic Scientist came and took their blood and rushed back to her lab to run the tests.
Interrogation Room A –
“Alfredo Manfreidi you’re under arrest for the assault and killing of Bella Parsons, and the poisoning of Mary Vercelli and Joey Berkley.” said Antonio. Sadly, Bella died of too much bleeding.
Interrogation Room B –
“Alphonso Sgroia you’re under arrest for the assault and killing of Bella Parsons!” said Braden

Charles, Antonio, and Braden went to the hospital to visit Joey and Mary. Joey was up and walking, but not Mary. She hadn’t wakened up yet. So they all went and sat waiting in her room. While they were in there, Joey personally thanked Braden and Antonio for all their hard work. Joey was really glad that the Italian Strikers were gone. Mary then opened her eyes; awaken, to see her family, her police family.

As you can see my aunt went through a lot that night. They say bruises fade, but the pain lasts forever… Her scars never faded away from me.
- Isabella Hastings-Parsons



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.