GONE FROM THE NIGHT | Teen Ink

GONE FROM THE NIGHT

By sarah russell, san diego, California
sarah russell, San Diego, California

“GONE FROM

THE NIGHT”

“Emily its time to wake up”, said my mother calling from the down stair living room.

I was always awake before my family had breckfest. I walked to my huge walk in closet, so many outfits to deside to wear and I could even pick one I walked down stairs to eat some captian crunch. My little sister Suzy is 5 and she doesnt really have any manors.

“ Give me the milk” shouted Suzy from the other side of the dinnig room table.

“Whats the magic word?”

“Please!”

“Yes, thats the magic word now here is the milk.”

“Five minutes intail we leave for school” said mother from her desk.

My mother is a lawyer, she is always working on big cases, she never has the time to take the time out of her week to hang out with me Suzy and Tommy,since dad got his new job where he travals all over the USA, so he is never home too.

“Mom come on, lets go, am going to be late!” nagged Tommy.

“Ok lets go” answered mom.

“Bye, I love you!” yelled my mom from the car.

I went through my day just fine. But something weriod I have been noticing, I just feel diffrent, like that something bad is telling me to stay home tonight, but I have been waiting all year to goto to chris’s party , and I wasn’t going to miss this.

After school I walked over to megans house to get ready for the party.

“Hello Ms. Mcgee, how are you?” I said.

“Am great, how are you?” Ms. Mcgee replied.

“Am doing just fine” I sighed.

You see Ms.Mcgee was a older mother, very sharp, and didnt let her duaghter do anything. Her family was really strong christians, and bevelived that any thing megan would do would be a sin.

I walked up megans stair case into her room, it was a small room with faded pink walls from when she was alittle girl. her bed spread was blue with sparkles. Megan need a breack from her perfect family.

“megan am taking you to a party”

“ what party?” megan said confused.

“ so chris invited me to a party and i want ot bring you, becouse you never have fun and go to a party, this would be your first ‘real’ highschool party.”

“Well, I dont how would i go, my mom would never let me out of the house” megan replied nervously.

“ Its easy, just say you are going to my house and I will say am going to your house and we will just goto the party, as simple as that”

I got up from the bed and walked over to megans closet. She didnt really have some cute cloths that was good anough for a party with hot guys.

I finally found a black skin tight dress, and some wedges from her older sister.

“Megan, put this on, then I will do your make up”I asked

“ ok” Megan said.

after megan put on her dress and shoes, sat her down and did her make up. I started with some fundation and powder, to cover up magens pimply face, then I contourded her face to show highlights and shading. After I apiled some pink blush and skined toned eye shawdow on the lids of her eyes. I put on some top eye liner and finshed with masacara and light pink lip gloss. Megan looke like a new person. every diffrent , but good, and i liked it.

“ am down, now you can look” I whispered.

“ Oh my god I look like a diffrent person, thank you so much, I love it!” megan shouted with a smile on her face.

“your welcome, anything for a friend”.

Megan and I tip-toed her house in to her backyard so we could sneek out togo to chris’s party. We got out of the house and in to the street, we walked in heels for about a mile and a half intail are feet were killing.

“megan, we made!”

“thank god am so tired, dang it I said the lords name in vane!” megan said happily and disapointed at the same time.

“ Are you ready for the biggest party of highschool year?” I screamed.

“ yes” am so exicted.

I am really happy becouse we are only freshman envited to a juniors party.

I walked over with megan , to the door that was wide open, with teenagers coming in and out if the doors.

“do we just walk in?” megan said confused.

“ I dont know, I think?”

megan and I walked into the house,everyone was givng us dirty looks, I mean I think it was becouse we are freshman, but I dont want people to think we look bad. I looked up, and from the coner of my eye I say chris the hot senior in my math class thst invited me to the party. I started to make my way over to chris with out bumping into poeple left and right.

“Hey chris whats up?”

“Oh hey emily whats up am glad you made it to my party!” chris said with a weriod tone of voice like he was drunk.

I feel like the happiest girl in world that he talked to me. The rest of the night I danced my way across the house and toke many shots here and there, also had megan take her first shot.

“Megan, I have togo get back to my house something doesnt feel right”

“Ok go, im having way to fun of a time,so go with out ill stay” megan replyed.

“ahh ok”

“I dont feel good leaving you here by your self, your drunk!”

By that time megan was long gone by the time finshed my sentance.

I pushed my way out of the crazy house, and started to walk home by my self, i got to the door and something was diffreent, the lights were off and the door was open juat alitlle to see the hallway, I got really neverous, I slowly but carefully walkin into the house, the tv was on and it was super loud, I grabbed the rail, and started to walk up the stairs, I walk into the room and Isay something that will change my life forever...

11:00pm

“Hello 911 how may I,help you?”

“Help! Some one please come to my house, Hurry!”

“slow down and tell me what happened”

“ I was walking home from my friends house

. I got to my front door and something was off, the lights were off and the front door was wide open, this wasnt normal for my family. I walked to my front yard and into the house. I was very scared to see what was on the other side of the door.

house and the door was open, and and I walked, went to my siblings room...OH MY GOD! they were … DEAD.. and then I walked to my parents room and they were DEAD too!”

“Please come soon”

“Thank you, units are on thier way.”

I sat there thinking to my self what could this person that i saw go out the window want from my family. am all alone now.

“OPEN UP, THIS IS THE POLICE”

I ran to the door , the nice officer had one of his other officer take me to the ambolance. All I saw was 4 body bags go out the house, tears running down my face as it just hit me,MY family is gone, the sibling I fought with, that I loved and my mom and dad that was always there for gone too. I hope into the back of the cop care, i dont understand where am going, all i see is lights and endles freeway. i arrive at this weriod big office it and other kids my age was there, some thing was off like am not going to be aloud out any time soon.

i feel strange i thought in my head, all these hands on my body to cheack if i had conjurband on my. All these eyes on me, like i was a bad person, like i had just killed someone, or maybe they really thought i murdered my family.

“ we are going to have to keep an eye on you for 24-hours, its called line of sight” said one of the nice nurses.

“but why, i need space, i just walked into see my family dead!”

“its not your chocie am sorry” the lady said meaningfully.

everyone around here is actual crazy and they most likly did kill someone. i hate it her, no one talks and we eat shitty food, worse then the school lunch tha they provied. I cant watch tv, or the news, I havent heard from anyone in my family, and am sick and tired of not knowing when am leaving or any relesing news about the murder, and I cant wear my own cloths, and i cant put on make up, or use anything that i could hurt myself with, even if i wasnt here becouse of self harm, even though i felt like i wanted to sometimes.

I wake up to screaming children in the little kid section, out of bed. i get up, make my bed and try to tune out the other voices, i couldnt tell if they where real or just in my head. Am getting to the point where i think am really going crazy. i walk over to the dinnng room to see everyone turn and look at me, it waas very uncomfortable and i did not like it one bit.

“ good morning emily, how was your first night” the charge nurse said to me.

“umm it was kinda of shitty, the beds suck and couldnt fall asleep”

“we do not use that kinda of launge here, sorry” the nurse said.

i relized i was not hungery any more, so i walked back to the end of the hall to draw, i love to draw it is the only thing that dosent make completely feel like crap. No one asks me how i feel, i know they have to worry about their probluems but i think mine are important to, i mean come on i walked into my fsmily chopped spreaded across the floor. people dont uderstand, am driving myself crazy, i am making myself sick, all i want to do to is to go home and be normal with my siblings and parents. I havent said a word to anyone since this morning and i feel like am going to throw up every, the image of my family murdered, gives my chills up and down my back,and i hate it completely. I sit here laying on my bed watching the other “mental kids walk back and fourth throw the scary halls. i close my eyes to try to sleep, I wake up screaming and all i see is nurse all around me.

i wake to the worst nightmare i have ever had, every closing there ears bucouse i think i ws screaming so loudly, but i dont understand it, becouse i was sleeping.

“Emily, are you ok?!” said one of the nurse.

“ i had the worst nightmare ever i couldnt see and all i hear is the voices of my family and the screams and blood hitting the walls, i want ot go home!!” “Emily, am so sorry, but you cant go home intial the courts decid where you go next” another voice said from a diffrent side of the room.

i try to close my eyes togo back asleep but i cant. i dont want to go get up and eat or even togo to the bathroom, i felt more dpressed then anything i hsve felt before. something was eating away my heart, and i didnt want to go anywhere, i would rather die then go through this bullshit.

my social came to talk eith me today, she told my that there is no evidnce that they hee murder by a man, but a teenage girl, like myslef. i could not picture that in my head, i had a perfect family and my life was good, how could i ever want ot kill my family, and for what, so i could be alone and have no one to love me, or care for me. This world has turned agianst my and i dont understand why, am a good kid. I made a friend today, her name is sarah, she is here becouse she tried to kill her self, i dont know why, she is so pretty, and nice, but things happen, that cant be explianed, people get pushed o the limits, and people cant understnd why or why not poeple do this to them self. i still havent seen a normal person in days. and i keep having bad dreams about that night, and its just now hiting to me am going to be alone and my kids are going to wonder why they dont have any grandparents or anuts and uncles, what will i tell them?

I am not going to tell them the city thought mommy killed them, that is simply un true.

“Emily, its tme to take your medince your docter said you needed to take” one of the medince nurse said to me.

“ what is the meds i need to take, i have never signed up to take pills i dont even know what is for?”

“ the meds are for your mood and bad dreams”

i knew that wasnt really what they where for, days before i heard my docter talking on the phone about me. they said that they think that it is therer becouse of me being crazier and more abnormal then anything the have seen. he thinks that am telling the truth that i did not kill my family.

Just becouse i came at the wroung time and happen to walk on this man 6’3ft, big and muscular, dark hair and 2 diffrent color eyes. no its not my fult. i loved and cared for everyone, around me but no one thinks that is true. Today my am having a vister come and see me for the first time in a month, i dont know yet who is going to see me, i hope its someone i know and not another person that works with the law, i hate police officers, they never listen to my statment.. i dont even have a lawyer yet, or atleast i dont think i do. poeple always say that beggers cant be be choicer, buy am begging to get oout of here.

“ emily, its time for your vist” the charger nurse repeated over the inacom.

i walked over to the head desk to see who i will be meeting with. i coludnt belevie who was there, it was my anut nicky. i ran up to nicky and gave her the biggest huge, i have not seen anyone i loved ore that was in my family for over a month.

“nicky what are you doing here?!” i said with tears runnnig down my face, as i rested my head on her shoulder.

“ i came to see you,i will be picking you up in the morning to go home with my for as long as you like, i will be your knew you could say… mother figure”

i am so exited i can not wait intail am out of here for good. it kind of sucks in way that i have to live my anut even though she is still chill. i justr want things to go back to normal before the murderd. but i have been thinking that when am out i can be home schooled , and i will search every day to find the killer i know if i tell anyone i will end up where i am today, in another mental ward, away from the whole earth.

“when are you going to pick me up?” i asked nicky

“ tomorrow at noun” she replied

“ sorry vistors must leave now” shouted one of the nurses from the front desk.

nicky had to leave and i was said, but i didnt care at this point i was going to leave, i was going to move to a diffrent school make new friends, and know one would no about my family getting killed by a unknown man. I cry myself to sleep everynight well i wimper about how i wish i would just give up and goto heaven with them, but i know that i would never have the guts to kill myslef.. but i would to kill someone else if i had to, like the killer. i remamber how thid creppy mail man would watch me undress from the front yard into my window and one time my mother called the cops , he was a peping tom and everyone in the nighborhood thought he was very difftrent, one thing that alwys made me want is to look at his eyes, they where difftrent colors one was blue and the other one was brown… OH MY GOD i know who the killer is.. its the mailman that would not leave me alone.. i knew i something about that man was diffrent and that i remambered something when i saw the killers face. but i know i cant trust any one with this type of information, evey one would offical think am carzy, but now i know am not really crazy, if that even makes sence.

“emimly time to wake up, its time to go pack your bags and leave” said ms nancey the day time charge nurse.

i was so excited that i could leave, but i had so much things one my mind i was not even thinking about leaving the only thing i thought about was i connect most of the dots to my mind puzzel, i was getting the answers i was looking for.

i can not wait to leave this place, i can start to find him and give him no mercy for what he did, and why? i have no idea that he would want to hurt 2 little kids and a nice family, he could have been a roder and take money cbe cuses we had a lot, no, he killed, he is a murder. today i get to see my bestfriend megan, since i have been out of the mental place. Am nervouse and scared at the same time, i dont want her to judge me for what the media is saying, everyday i go outside there are big white buses and dozens of camaras in face asking me what have had happen, nicky told me to ignore it, but this time i have had anough i was going togive what they wanted.

i walk out side it was like a was the best flower in the world and all th eworker bees want to pick at me one by one, like they wanted information about me for there jobs.

“Emlily, why did u kill your family?”

“Hey Emily over here, is it true that you went to jail”

“ms Emily can you give us a statement?”

called all the news repoters, trying to get my attention, to answer all there stuiped quesrion that were mostly made up or where paid to say.

“You want to know what i have to say, then you got , am a 15 year old girl thats family was taking away from here to early, i loved everyone in my family that was killed, you most be some really sick bastards to think i would hurt or kill my wonderful family. yes, i went to mental ward to help me with my probluems i gain from the murder, i need help, a big a event just affected my whole life, everyone will now judge, i wont think the same about myself no will otheres, and u poeple getting paid to make me look like i did kill my family and that you want to show , what that am crazy, no, will everyone just get the hell of my porperty and respect my life?”

some of the reporters, started to cry, ut with in the next 15 mins my yard was empty, everyone listen to me and not what they where told to say. Poeple need to grow up and care about what is impotant and not tying to breck me.

Megan just pulled up and am sacred about what she will thinlk about me, i have changed, and im not sure if she will like that. i have been throw so much will she respect that? is it her fult that she left me? will she think i killed my family too, like everyone else does?

“Hello, megan”

she ran up to me and gave me a big huge, she holded me tight in her arms, tears running done both are faces,

“Emily, am so sorry i should of not let you go home by yourself,am really sorry please forgive me!” megan said carefully as she tryed to hold in the tears but didnt really work for her

“ No megan its not your fult dont feel gillty, i know this have would of happened eathier way.

“i know u didnt kill your family, ur god not bad, u would cry over me killing a spider.”
“atlest someone knows the truth, how does your mother feel about this thing”

she deosnt know really how to react, your mom was her bestfriend, she doesnt really talk about you now she trys to forget about it, she said you can sleepover any time you want, you are welcome when over any tiime”

am so happy that, she understands and that she didnt judge me like everyone else does.

I have been looking for any information, about that mail man. going door to door asking when was the last time the mail hs been deliverd my that mail man with the name of mr.smith , adward smith to be right, everyone just gives me the dirtyest looks in my nieghbor hood, even mrs.wall the oldest lady in the nieghborhood, some times at night i hear the pople talking about me and how i am a sin and i should hsve been killd instead of little ones, that was the most graghic sence i have ever seen it made me thtow up and breck down and cry, when they were asking me questions at the station, they ask what time i left the party, and if i had done any drugss or anything that have mihgt of made me go crazier then ever, i told the officer that i left the party at 10;15 and got there at 10:50, and no i have not been doing any tyoe of drugs i have never done s drug in my life.
I I told the officer that I loved them, and I would never hurt them, they where everything to me and I would die myself. I always think go myself that what would happened if I showed up sooner?

12:01I wake up crying I had a bad dream,I was killed too. this weekend my aunt is leaving for work so I will be all alone and am nervous and scared up I can do it! I don't know his I can do it, am spider.”

12:01I wake up crying I had a bad dream,I was killed too. this weekend my aunt is leaving for work so I will be all alone and am nervous and scared up I can do it! I don't know his I can do it.

today ,my aunt left, now i can finally be by myself in peace with out a aapair of eyes on my all the time. i dont understand why poeple dont “trust” me yet . i dont self harm, and am not depressed or anything like that am normal, or atleast i hope to be normal. all i did was sleep all day but i awoken to a noise at the front of the hallway. i got up and tip toed slowly out of the room to see that it ws just the dog. i turned around to go back to me room … as i turned around there was a man standing right infront of me, i did not know what to do. i turned back around and started to scream bloddy murder the man was way to fast, he grabbed me by my long hair, and pulled me over to him, so he could cover my mouth. i felt a harp pain in my neck , i started to get relly sleepy FAST!! i woke up soon to relize that i was taped up and into seem it looked like to be a basement. no one was in sight, i tryed to move around so the tape could un lossen, but it did not help at all. i started to scream as loud as i could, but no one can hear me through the walls of the basement looking room. it hears to be a door opening behind me i could not see who that was behind me, the lights flicker on and oof while the the man was doing something to me, the room started to feel if the walls were coming in. the chair turned around and there was a man that looked like i have seen him before, but it was un-clear.

“ what do u want from me?”

“ you see young girl i have been working on kidnapping you for years but i never had the guts too, i went to your house to get you but ur little sister woke up instead and started to scream so i paniced and killed your famliy, this is ALL your fualt emily, i never want to kill anyone, i just wanted you” said the man

“ are you crazy, what is wroung with you, your a monster, you diesever to burn in hell.” i said

i started to cry and scream even more even though i know no one can hear me. Was it my fault? i have no idea why and how i could be put in the middle of this whole thing.