The Moutian of No Return | Teen Ink

The Moutian of No Return

December 19, 2013
By BigBay123, North Berwick, Maine
More by this author
BigBay123, North Berwick, Maine
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
For everytime you get knocked down get back up


Author's note: I was given the freedom to create a fictionalstory that has to have something to do with nature. There is something about sasquatch that thrills me.

It was a cold windy day when I walked into that old Irish pub in Mexico City. That is a day I will never forget, the day when I first heard about the Mountain of No Return. Its name speaks for itself. Anyone who has attempted to summit and make it all the way back down has never been seen again. They may go up but it is assured they will not come back down. I want to be the first person to do so. I want to find what is stopping people from coming back down. That Irish pub is where it all started.
As I prepare to start my hike I am gathering a group of friends who want to do this with me. Five to be exact; Billy, Joe, Abby, Justin, and Tyler. I am preparing for a four day hike, but I am assuring myself to only bring the things that I will definitely need. Added weight may prevent my escape if it is needed. Do I personally believe that this could be my last hike? Yes I do. My five friends also are well aware this could be the last hike they will ever take.
For years, rumors have been surfacing about what the cause of all these missing people may be. My best guess: Sasquatch! Sasquatch is known as an urban legend. He is told to be nine feet tall and about three feet wide, he has a furry brown coat and walks, runs, and acts like a human. Personally I believe he is more than an urban legend. I believe Sasquatch is real and that is why I am going on this dangerous hunt. I plan to expose Sasquatch by carrying a digital camera and I will take a picture of whatever it is that is killing the people that attempt to
summit this mountain.

June 4th 2013! My birthday. I chose this date to start my hike for that reason. It is about 7am when I arrive at the base of the mountain to meet up with my five peers. The Mountain of No Return stands in front of me! The time has come to start my trip to the top of the mountain. It is warm on this beautiful day with a slight wind blowing the tops of the many trees that stand in front of me. Pines are everywhere as well as Hemlocks that are swaying back and forth because of their small size. I have a weird feeling in my stomach that something is about to go wrong. I am willing to bet it is just nerves acting up because of what I am about to do.
As I take my first step onto the trail, it is almost like I step into a new world filled with trees, small animals and death roaming in the air above my head. After about a mile of walking Billy says, “Did anyone else hear that?” The group looks at him with that look of confusion. Joe speaks first to break the silence, “ Billy no one heard anyth-” when in the middle of his sentence he is interrupted with a loud knock. It sounded like someone took a large branch and hit it off of a large red pine tree. Everyone gets that feeling of someone or something is lurking around. I load my revolver just to be safe. I have six bullets and that is it. No one speaks for a while until Abby breaks the silence by saying, “ It was probably a falling tree no worries guys, lets keep going”. So that is what we do.
After about another 40 yards we hear the knock again this time only closer. Tyler speaks up by saying, “It is getting closer. No way that is a tree falling again”. Everyone in the group agrees and we stand still. I say, “Okay lets continue on and see what happens.” Justin is starting to fall behind without anyone noticing. Then, breaking the silence that is provided by the heavy cover of the vast forest, we hear two thumps verry verry close behind where Justin was. We all turn to look and that’s when the fear starts to set in. Justin is gone only leaving a small blood splatter on the ground. Billy speaks first. “Okay where did he go and why is there blood?” I say in a slow quiet voice, “It’s too late. He’s gone.” “What do you mean gone Bailey?” says Abby. But I don't respond because my statement clarifies itself. Then with our backs turned again we feel two ground shaking footsteps. As I turn around, I see a brown blob moving so fast I can't make out details. What I do know is that it’s huge, and was swinging its arms as if it was running just like a human.
Tyler is the first to speak by saying “ Okay guys I’m done, I’m leaving, I’m not risking my life anymore than I have already for some stupid evidence that may not be real.” I answer with, “You turn around now and you are gone. I promise if you leave the group alone in this forest of huge pines and red oaks that provide enough cover for anything to hide and not be seen, you will be a goner for sure. We need to stay as a group!” Tyler did not take my advice. He turns around and starts to descend the mountain. The rest of our group, which was now down to four, me, Joe, Billy, and Abby started to hike on again. I will not give up my hike to find out what this is that is killing these innocent people.
No longer than ten minutes later we hear a loud scream and then two thumps. The scream was Tyler. “ I told him” I say in a low voice. Abby says “ How can you just let this happen? Do something Bailey” I respond with “ I did do something, I told him not to go alone. He chose to anyone else want to go out alone?” No one speaks instead we start to walk on. We are 3 out of 10 miles up the mountain. And two people down.
It is about 7pm and the sun is setting so we need to set up camp. Fire is not needed because the June nights are warm. We pitch two tents. Abby and Billy will share a tent and Joe and I will share one as well. The sun has fallen and the moon has taken its position in the sky. I am heading off to bed for the night. Or at least I thought I was. Just about the time I close my eyes I am chilled by a howl. A sound so strange but yet so familiar. I knew what it was and it sent shivers down my back. He knows we are here. Abby and Billy get out of their tent and get into mine. I once again load my gun. Just as I finish, another Howl echoes through the trees, this time closer and louder, so close I can almost feel the sound waves bounce off of my tent. Granted I can't but it seems that way. This is when I make the decision to leave my tent and walk out into the warm scary dark forest surrounding me.
My plan is to take the extra tent and create a diversion for this killer. I place the tent about 50 yards from where I am and leave my flashlight on to divert the Sasquatch to think there is someone in the tent. I hurry back to the tent where I left my friends. When I return I am shocked by the sight I see.
My friends gone. Blood and I mean lots of blood everywhere. And a tent that has been invaded and destroyed. This killer whatever it is has made a name for himself as the silent killer! After I see what has happened I need to move and I need to do this fast. As I am packing my stuff and get up and leave off in the distance I hear a roar and a tent being thrown. I smile big and say to myself bring it on big guy. My diversion worked and I am getting the hell away from where I am now. 3am and on the run no way he will catch me now. I hope……

5:15 rolls around the the sun is starting to rise. I am alone on a mountain. seven out of 10 miles to the top and still in good shape. Hungry and hot craving water I continue on. I sit to take a break in an area I can see all around in every direction other than behind me. But I assure you every once in awhile I take a look over my shoulder. A knock almost like a warning to me off in the distance. Then a howl this silent killer is trying to scare me but it won’t happen. I know he is here and he knows i'm here and knowing that excites me. I have my camera ready and my gun loaded. I finish my protein bar and my bottle of water and begin to head for the top.
I have walked nine miles up now and I am almost there. I can taste the summit. I can see a clearing off in the distance. I head straight for it. No looking back, no paying attention to what is around but only to what is ahead of me. That is where I went wrong. Behind me two thumbs then to my right to more than two behind me. I stop and stand still. He is close, very close. My heart rate increases and my blood starts to rapidly pump. I dont know if it is fear or adrenaline but it is starting to get me going. I draw my camera with one hand then my gun with the other. I slowly start to walk on. Thumps in every direction getting closer and closer. I can almost feel the wind as he runs around me. I am starting to see the summit. I love every minute of this.
I reach the top. I admire this amazing view. But not for long because as I am lost in the view and I am interrupted by a howl. So close it hurts my ears. I look to my right and I see a brown object seems to be at least 9 feet tall and 3 feet wide, running straight towards me. I reach to my hip pull the gun out of its holster and fire a shot in the direction he’s coming from. I'm shaking so much I miss way left. He does not stop. Not even slow his step. I fire again miss but I am much closer. four shots left. I think again as he slows once he reaches the tree line of huge oak trees. These trees seem to never end as they just go up and up. I think again what am I doing, TAKE A PICTURE. I pick up my camera and snap a photo. Clear as day, no doubt this here is a Sasquatch.
The flash on my camera stuns the beast. Just enough for me to start my descent. Sprinting down the mountain running for my life hearing thuds as the giant slams his feet on the ground. The ground seems to shake every time. The squatch is screaming and howling. Then disaster strikes. I trip. My camera goes flying through the air and hits the ground in front of me about 5 feet away.
I cant get up my shoe seems to be caught. I look back and I see one thing I hoped to never see again in my life! A Sasquatch running in a dead sprint directly at me! I pull out my gun I shoot. I feel the slight breeze hit my hand as I am pulling the trigger. The smell of pine and the sight of a Sasquatch. This time I don't miss. I hit the giant beast in the knee. The shot sending him to a knee I have three shots left. I think what is more important killing the squatch or getting away with the evidence I have. I shoot the branch my shoe is caught on and get back up pick up my camera and start my descent again. Leaving the Sasquatch in the dust way behind me. Or so I thought….
I am just about to the bottom when I hear a sound no person ever wants to hear. Thud Thud Thud. Then I see it a large brown Sasquatch standing in the trail in front of me. The legendary killer of so many people. And I may be the next. I pick up my gun and aim. This time to kill. I take a deep breath and he takes a step. Then another and thats when I pull the trigger. I hit it straight in the skull stopping him dead in his tracks sending him backwards onto his back. Dead. I killed the killer, the unimaginable to most but only the achievable to me.
I reach the bottom of the mountain of no return. Maybe the mountain not always lives up its name. I got my evidence to prove that Sasquatch is real. I proved it to myself and that is all I need. My camera is packed and ready to prove to the world. Although this may change the world I won't let it. I got what I needed and lost many on the way. I am going to keep this to me. I take my camera and throw it into the lake that is dead in front of me. And just watch it sink into the water.
With the dead carcass behind me I find a stump sitting about ten feet off the trail and take a seat. The adrenaline is wearing off and it is starting to set in. The fact that I just did what no one person has ever done before. I can't take credit for all of it though if it was not for the help of my fallen comrades this would have never happened. They lost their lives so that i could accomplish my goal. I forever will have respect for them. A prayer for my friends and a long drive home is all I have left to do.
That was my journey up and down The Mountain Of No Return. It still remains that today. Yes I may have conquered it but that is my business and no one elses. I proved this to myself thats all I need. I have proved to myself that Sasquatch is not an urban legend. To most people Sasquatch will remain that way but not me; I know he is real and that’s all I need.
The End!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 5 comments.


Cat521 SILVER said...
on Dec. 25 2013 at 8:20 pm
Cat521 SILVER, Berwick, Maine
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Think, before you speak. Know, before you react. Love, before you hate. There is far too much anger and hatred in the world for you to be the cause of anymore."

I can tell it's good, just a little more work and it could be truly amazing.

BigBay123 said...
on Dec. 24 2013 at 9:51 pm
BigBay123, North Berwick, Maine
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
For everytime you get knocked down get back up

Thank you i tried really hard on this

chewie said...
on Dec. 24 2013 at 8:59 pm
awesome story!

bethanyella7 said...
on Dec. 24 2013 at 11:52 am
Great job!  It was a cute expansion of an urban legend.  Nice work kiddo!

Cat521 SILVER said...
on Dec. 24 2013 at 11:38 am
Cat521 SILVER, Berwick, Maine
6 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Think, before you speak. Know, before you react. Love, before you hate. There is far too much anger and hatred in the world for you to be the cause of anymore."

It's quite good but just consider using some imagery to place the reader into the story, so they feel almost a part of it.