The Death House | Teen Ink

The Death House

By jesse rolph, San Diego, California
jesse rolph, San Diego, California

After a long day Mike just wanted to sleep but he gets another phone call right before he

goes to bed. The call was from a distressed lady, she was telling Mike about some weird things happening to her and her house. Mike agreed to go to her house and see what’s happening. The next day Mike goes down to the lady’s house, it was a huge house within a large amount of property. There was a lake to the side of the house and a forest in the back. As he approached the house he noticed some red paint along the side of the house.

Mike knocked on the door and waited, a lady in her late 70’s came out of the house.

“Hello im Mike im here to see what’s been going on at your house.”

“My names Jamie and i don’t think i can live here much longer is there anything you can do for me?”

“Yes i’ll just take a look around your house.”

As Mike looked around the house he noticed red paint all around the house he also saw broken windows and glass on the ground. Mike has never seen anything like that before it scared him. Mike called his partner Mily.

“Mily i need your help there is something weird happening here and i don’t think i can do this alone.”

“Okay I’ll be there in 20 minutes I am busy right now.”

After looking longer Mike noticed blood leading to the river, Mily arrived and talked to Jamie.

There seemed to be something weird happening it didn't make sense who could want to this. That didn't matter now, The problem was far worse than it seemed. After Mike had finished looking around he went home.

“That is one weird thing i really wonder who could be doing that.”

As Mike was walking into his apartment he got another call. As he answered the call Mily knocked on the door.

“What seems to be the problem Jamie?”

“My house is on fire! Its a man i caught him in the act.”

“I will be right there hold on.”

As mike pulled into jamies driveway she confronted him and told him about everything that happened. This man isn't trying to get you to leave he is trying to kill you. Mike went into jamies house to see if there was anything on the inside of the house to be worried about but no there was nothing. Who ever is trying to hurt you isn't very good at it.

“Lets look around the forest when it isn't dark maybe there is something out there.”

“Like a clue?”

“Yes there could be something out there that will help us.”

Mike went home again to get some sleep. he woke up the next day ate some food and met up with Mily. Mike called jamie and said he was coming to her house they went over and got ready to go deep into the forest. There wasn't much to bring but some type of weapon, food and water.

“Lets get going mily we need to get this done today.”

“Okay lets go i'm kind of scared to be honest with you.”

“Thats alright lets just stick together and we will be fine.”

“Okay i will try to be as close to you as possible just dont leave me.”

The wind was roaring as Mike and Mily went into the forest. Its scary for both of them to basically go into the crooks territory like they are doing now. They both know that they have to go so they did its the only thing left to do. As they went into the forest they noticed some foot prints so as they followed them they came to an open area where there was a cabin. Its a small cabin that looks empty, they went in to see and there was a note on the only table in the cabin it said something interesting.

The note said something about all the things that have been happening to jamies house it was actually very scary to see that. Was the crook stalking them? As soon as they read that the door slammed closed. Mike ran to the door to see if it would open but no, it was jammed.

“What's happening this is horrible who could want to hurt an older lady and us its wrong!”

“Mike we will be okay we'll figure it out, okay?”

“Alright i can trust you now lets get out of here.”

As Mike and Mily figured out how to get out of the cabin jamie was doing her work when there was a tapping on the door she went to it only to see a note left on the door for here to read it said “Your friends are gone now i can finally do my business.” Jamie left her house in horror, she thought she could get away with it by going to her local waffle house. As she was drinking her tea she noticed a young man looking at her so she stood up and went over to him. Before she could say anything he told her that he noticed how familiar she looked to him as they continued to talk they introduced themselves.

“My names Jake by the way.”

“Nice to meet you Jake my names Jamie.”

They continued on and talked about life, Jamie brought up what was happening to her house and Jake became silent.

“Whats wrong?”

“Nothing thats just really scary to hear about thats happened here before.”

As they continued to talk Mike and Mily got out of the cabin to see the door had been boarded up. They tried to forget about it and went back to jamies house they noticed her car was not there so they went to her door and saw the note the crooke left and at the bottom of the note it said “-joe”.So now they know his name they just need to find him.

“Its obvious Mike he is trying to trick us, he obviously locked us into the cabin.”

“Yes i don't know what to do every time we think we found him we don't.”

“Lets try to look around that cabin area.”

Mike and Mily were walking away when Jamie and her new friend Jake came rolling into the driveway. They began to talk and Jake told Mike about everything he knew about the last time this happened they all went looking into the woods when Jake spotted something weird and off placed. It had been another house type building and inside was another note.

This time it was helpful it was the location of joes house, so thats where they went off to. The house was huge and in the center of the forest. Its the perfect hiding spot its practically hidden by the trees that surround it. They went into the house to find once again nothing it was making mike mad and not only that but the fact that this has been happening for the last two days. Jake said there was a little house along the river somewhere and that they should check it out so they did.

“This is all a waste of time why are we even trying?”

“Because we need to help Jamie.”

As Mike and the group showed up to the house by the river they noticed footprints going to the house. They went to the house and noticed yet another thing, the house had been burnt, as they went into the house they noticed the same things happened to this house as did to jamies. There was a map sitting on the table by a window. The map had marks on it and this house was one of them as well as jamies house.

“This map important to us it will help, We will go to all the marks and see what's there.”

“Okay if you think it will help lets do it.”

As time went by it got darker and darker, the group was in the middle of the forest so they couldn't just go back to their houses. The only thing to do was to camp out, being a group they thought they would be safe for the night. They were right no one was missing or injured, they continued to the next location completely unaware of what could happen to them. Mily found herself separated from the group, she called there names but no response. She wondered around for an hour before she found her way out of the forest, she went to Jamie's house from there. As the two talked Jamie said something about a man who could help her find her friends.

Mike and the rest were still trapped in the forest, they were looking for Mily who was looking for them.

“We need to find her guys you don't have a choice.”

“Why do we need to look for her she probably found her way back to Jamie's house.”

“Maybe you're right lets just try to find our way out of this Maze.”

“We should have brought a GPS to find our way out that map is no help.”

“Jake just shut up already i know, come on lets keep going.”

As time went by the group began to get hungry, Jake and Mike went looking for food While his friend they ran into while looking for Mily set up camp. Jakes Friends name is Bill he was hunting at the time they found each other and its turns out that Bill also is lost. Camp is made and Mike and Jake came back with some food. Mily had found the man and is already looking for The group. The Mans name is Cole he is young in his 20s, he said he has a bunch of equipment to find her friends. They waited for sun up to go looking for them, As the sun came up mike was still awake, he couldn't sleep. He was thinking about Mily, he never really told anyone but secretly he liked her. Mily got going to find Mike and the group Mily too liked Mike and they both didn't know.

“Cole do you know which direction we should start looking for them?”

“We should head towards the direction you came in at and follow the tracks is they are still there.”

“Alright i will follow you so i don't get lost again.”

Time went by and nothing, no tracks and nothing left behind. They felt that it was pointless to look for them, it seemed impossible. Mily heard a loud yell coming from in front of them they both went running to see if it was them. They ran and ran yelling their names until they got an answer. Finally it was them after looking for countless hours in the forest. Mike was so happy along with the rest of the group, but Mike was the happiest. After some time the group was telling Mily all about what happened and Mily told them what she had to do to find them.

there was a lot that she did to help them and they were happy about it without her they would still be lost in the middle of the forest without food or water. They all went home for the day, they needed rest. The next day Mike called Mily and asked her if she wanted to go out for a while instead of working and she said yes. They picked the mall which was Mily’s favorite place to be at. Mike picked up Mily in his car and Mike never told anyone this but he has a nice muscle car for special occasions so when he pulled up to Mily’s house she didn't know it was him.

“Is this your car Mike?”

“Yes i only drive it on special occasions like this one.”

“Thats nice, you think this is a special occasion?”

“Yeah we are going out today so i thought you would appreciate this.”

“Well you were right this is nice.”

They went walking into the mall talking about random things of course they both liked each other so it was a little awkward at first but that didn't stop them from having a good time.

They walked into a store and that sparked a whole new conversation.

“Oh i love this store Mike i used to always shop here.”

“I used to shop here to before the prices went up so much.”

“Hold on i want to buy something real quick just let me surprise you.”

Mike waited for about ten minutes before Mily came out. She was wearing a red prom like dress. After she bought the dress they went and got some food at the restaurant in the mall. It was a nice italian restaurant, Mike ordered spaghetti with meatballs and Mily ordered a small pizza. Mike and Mily talked until the food got to there table, of course they both had to try each others food. They continued on with their lunch, when the check came Mike said he would pay for it, it was the least he could do for her. As the day went on they did more things at the mall, towards the end of the day they went and got some dessert at the fanciest restaurant they could find. Then they both went home to rest for the big day they had ahead of them.

Mily woke up at around 7 in the morning she doesn't usually wake up that early but she had a good night with Mike and she couldn't stop thinking about it. She called Mike and asked if he wanted to go eat breakfast before they had to go to work and of course he said yes.

“Hey Mily what are we going to have?”

“Oh i don't know maybe some eggs and pancakes.”

“Are you making them for us or are we going out?”

“I will make us some i think it will be nice.”

“I think so i don't usually have people make me food at least people i know that is.”

Mike and Mily continued on making jokes and enjoying each others time. The time came where they had to go to work, they packed up and met up with the rest of the group. it was around 10 and everyone was at Jamies house ready to get to work. Mike remembered when the jobs he had to do used to be easy but not anymore. He used to have simple jobs, some were even fun but now they are all serious and life threatening. But now he had to go back into jamies house to see if anything has happened while they were gone.

“How are you doing jamie?”

“I'm alright nothing bad has happened since you left.”

“Lets just hope that nothing else happens to you or this house.”

“I think i will be fine i will call you if i notice anything happening around here.”

“Okay we will come back right away if anything happens.”

For Mike this was a relief now he could relax some more. Mike was thinking about just laying down and watching tv but he thought of something else. Mily had asked about going for a ride in his car, you could tell she liked his car. Mike called Mily and asked if she would like to go for a joyride in his car. She accepted his offer and Mike was on his way. Mike got to Mily’s house and she was waiting outside for him.

“Are you ready?” He said with a grin on his face.

“I am but are you ready?”

“You bet lets get going i want to have some fun.”

As Mike and Mily drove away they made jokes that only made sense to them, nobody would understand a thing they were saying. They were both having the times of their lives and it was with each other. Mike pulled over and asked Mily if she wanted to drive.

“You want to drive Mily?”

“I don't know how to drive this though.”

“I will teach you, its not to hard.”

“Okay i will try.”

The sun was going down and Mily had learned how to drive Mikes car, Mike suggested going to the Park to watch the sun go down. Mily drove them there, they sat there and watched the sun go down they had fun playing games and just having fun. Mike drove Mily home and then he got some rest. When Mike woke up he ate some food while listening to his voice messages, there was one from Jamie. It sounded urgent, Mike threw His equipment into his truck and sped off. When he pulled up to her house it had been vandalized partes of the house were covered in paint and the windows were broken. Not just one but all of them, why would somebody do this. He had thought that to himself several times throughout this case.

Mike went into the house to see the damage, it was pretty bad the furniture was torn and the walls had holes in them and painting that used to be on the wall were ripped and on the ground. Jamie had been gone, she went to a hotel to get away from the hell that is her house. It seemed like her house is ruining her life, she can never go out or her house will be vandalized. Mike called Jamie to go see her at her hotel he got the address and called the crew and told them to look after the house and look into the damage around the house. Mike went to Jamies hotel to ask her about the recent vandalism done to her house. Mike knocked on the door and she let him in she was still scared, she had left in the middle of the attack. She said it randomly happened out of nowhere, why would this happen so often?.

“I think its time to do something serious about this we need to get the police in on this.”

“If you think it will help lets do this i can't live there anymore.”

Mike called Mily and told her they need to talk somewhere private. They met up at Mily’s house, Mike began to talk about Bringing police into the case. Its too dangerous to do this alone we could get killed out there especially without weapons. Mily knew something was wrong so she stood up and walked over to Mike, they looked into each others eyes and kissed.

“You know im here for you don't worry you will be okay.”

“I know, this is just hard on me.”

“Lets just let this go and go enjoy our day, okay?”

“Yes, lets get out of here.”

“Where should we go?”

“Theres a pool down by the bank we can hang out there.”

“Alright i will let you get ready and i will get ready at my house call me when you are ready.”

“Okay bye.”

Mike went home and got a swimsuit Mily called him shortly after, she was ready Mike got the keys to his car and went off to get her. Mike picked up Mily and headed to the pool, when they got there they had the pool all to themselves. Mike jumped in and pulled Mily in will him.

“AHH! its cold why did you do that.”

“Oh come on lets have some fun.”

“Fine, but don't pull me under with you or anything like that.”

“Okay now lets swim.”

They both enjoyed swimming and then it was time to get out and dry off but Mily forgot her towel. Mike thought of something, they could just share a towel. Mike told Mily that and she agreed, they were having fun Mike kissed Mily and asked if she would be his girlfriend. She said she would love too. They both continued on with their days just to know that they had some serious work ahead of them tomorrow. “Oh well i'm going to enjoy this.” Mike thought. what's the worst that could happen to them? If they just ignored it their day would be better than it would if they just sat there and thought about work everyone knows that.

Mike and Mily went to Dairy queen to get some ice cream after all it was pretty hot out. Mike ordered one Vanilla cone and shared it with Mily, for some reason that was pretty funny to them they were both laughing their heads off. Mike Took Mily back home and when they got there Mily offered Mike to come in Mike agreed. Mily suggested watching a movie to make the day complete. Mike thought “Thats the perfect idea, man i never want to go home or to work.”

“What movie should we watch?”

“What do you suggest we watch it your house.”

“Lets watch a horror movie, I want to watch something scary tonight.”

Mily put in a scary movie one that's scarier than usual, she wanted this night to be perfect like her day has been. They were watching a scary movie about a killer who house hops and kills people in just one street. It was similar with what there were dealing with here. Mike couldn't stop thinking about work, how he is going to deal with it. Mike was that kind of person work is always on his mind.

“Come on Mike i know you are thinking about work i am too but lets try to have fun tonight.”

“I know i'm just a little scared is all, this is a scary thing to me.”

“I understand that and its okay, listen ill help you get over this.”

“Mily I appreciate that now lets watch the movie it will take my mind off work.”

“Okay just don't fall asleep on me now.”

“I promise i wont you have my word on that.”

As Mike and Mily watched the movie they got tired and even more tired as the movie went on. Mily would occasionally fall asleep and then pop back awake as if she were popcorn. Same thing for Mike but he usually was awake for parts of the movie. As the movie came to an end Mily fell asleep on Mike and Mike was already asleep. Morning came around and Mily woke up she had almost forgotten that she invited Mike into her house. Mike woke up to some breakfast that Mily made for him.

“Thanks for the food Mily I am really hungry right now.”

“Your welcome i thought it would be a nice before work kinda thing.”

“Ugh i forgot about work something i wish i didn't have.”

“Its not that bad at least you have me you know what i mean?”

“Yeah thats something that i would look forward to in the mornings.”

“Thats good, you should probably get going after you eat and if you want you can pick me
up on the way there.”

“Okay ill call you if im getting you.”

Mike went home to get dressed and freshen up while Mily was doing the same thing. Mike knew today was going to be a hard day, harder than any other day. Mike was almost done when he got a call from Mily asking if he was picking her up. Mike said he would get her in a couple of minutes. Mily happily waited for Mike to get her, as Mike pulled up to her house Mily had been doing some dishes and could not hear Mike knocking on her door. Mike went around to the kitchen window and knocked. Mily jumped as if she had seen a ghost. Mily turned off the water and looked at Mike, Mike apologized and Mily let him in.

“Are you ready to go Mily?”

“I am almost ready i just need to get some shoes on and finish the dishes.”

“Okay do you mind if i just wait here?”

“No not at all make yourself at home hun.”

“Thanks “

Mike waited for Mily for about 10 minutes and then headed off to work they both were pretty tired from watching that movie last night. Mike pulled up to Jamies house and looked to see if there was anymore damage done to the house. there didn't seem to be anything new which was odd because there usually is something new every time they go to work. Mike and Mily went into Jamies house with the spare key Jamie gave Mike. There was something new that had happened, Jamie had moved out. Theres nothing left, she must have gave up on the house.

“Do you know what this means Mily?”

“No do we have to continue with this job?”

“Yes we do and this means we have a whole new problem we need to find out when Jamie left and why she did.”

“Thats great.”

Mike called Jamie to talk to her but she was not answering his calls. Mike thought about that hotel she was in the other day maybe she was still there, even if she took all her stuff she might be there. Mily thinks she found a new house but thats not easy to do the only thing that could of happened is that she stored her stuff. Mike called Jamie several more times to see if she would answer so they don't go over there to not see her.

“Im not waiting anymore lets go to the hotel she has to be there.”

“What if shes not then what we can't just make this go away it isn't that easy.”

“We will find her and if not we will call the police this has gone far enough if its that guy we think it is then we will have to do something about it and the police is that thing.”

“Okay lets go look if it means this much to you i will be with you the whole way.”

Mike and Mily went off to Jamies hotel hoping that she was there. Once they pulled up to building they noticed her car sitting there so they went to her hotel room and knocked on her door. Nothing not even a noise for the other side of the door. Mike was getting annoyed from this whole Jamie issue he kept wondering to himself of who could want to do this to her she is such a nice person. Mike thought of something Maybe the person just wanted her gone. He stopped assaulting her when she left. Mike went to the house and noticed the police tape they had tape to keep people away. The only thing they could do it tape the house off and make sure the house never gets sold.

Months had gone by without any problems it looked like everything was going to be okay Mike was still with Mily and they were in love.