The Neighbor | Teen Ink

The Neighbor

December 2, 2013
By HannahRoberts, Hinsdale, New Hampshire
More by this author
HannahRoberts, Hinsdale, New Hampshire
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"I'm not afraid of dying. Everything I ever loved has been taken from me. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain." -Anonymous


Author's note: When I was in my first year of Middle school, I had an English teacher that pulled me aside and told me that I had a special talent with writing. I started writing this story. At first there was absolutely no details. I erased all of it and started from scratch. That is what inspired me to write this story.

There I was just sitting down watching my favorite show, when suddenly all I can hear is a scream a loud, heavy, thundering, scream “HELP! HELP! PLEASE SOMEONE HURRY!” I heard it coming from outside, but just to be sure I checked on the inside first. When I went upstairs the screaming has stopped. I go back downstairs and out the front door. The screaming had started again, but when I get outside the screaming stopped. Then suddenly there it comes again” NO PLEASE NO.” I look around outside to try and track it down. I look across the street and I notice that the new neighbor, I think his name was Mark Smith, was opening his garage from the outside. I can’t see very clear, but I do see that he as something black in his hand and it is big, kind of like a body bag. He gets inside, turns around and looks from left to right then he closes the door. I go back inside and lock the door. Wait… why am I telling you this now, you don’t know anything about me. Let’s rewind back a few days.



Beep! There goes the school bell. I’m walking to my locker and when my locker comes into sight I see my friend Becca Walters standing next to it.
‘’ Hey” She says when I reach my locker.
“Hey. How is it going?” I say getting my books out for our next class.
“I’m good. Hey was Mr. Simpson there today?”
“Yeah he is why? Please tell me this is not about you little crush on him” I say while shutting my locker and turning to look at her.
“Hey, don’t hate on me. I’m sorry if all the boys in this school are players and have no respect for anyone but themselves.” She says.
“Then why did you go out with one of those ‘players’.” I ask her and as soon as I do I regret it. I look at her and she looks like she is about to cry. I forgot how sensitive that subject is to her.
“I don’t want to talk about it.” She says simply.
“I’m sorry. I-“
“It’s fine. Let’s get going.” She says as she puts on a sad smile. We walk down the hallway and up the stairs to our next class. History.
“Ok class everybody take a seat and get a piece of paper out.” The teacher says as he puts the check in on the board for us to do. We all do as told except for the group in the back which is mostly full of ‘bad boys’ and ‘bad girls’. When we all get done we pass them to the right and the person at the end gives them to the teacher.
“So what are you doing this weekend?” Becca says.
“I don’t really know I never have anything planned. Why are you asking?”
“I want to hang out with you. The last time we had just you and me time was before Jack and I started going out.” She said with a pout on her face. I don’t get her sometimes. She says that Mr. Simpson is ‘irresistible’, but she has a boyfriend. I mean yeah, you and allowed to think a guy is attractive, but seesh she’s crazy. Jack is her boyfriend. He used to be a jock, but when he started taking an interest in Becca, he completely changed. He doesn’t go to any party without her, and he tells the boys that he is totally in love with her when they are around them.
“Well come over after school, yeah?” I say looking at her.
“Yeah, sure. Hey did anyone move into that house across the street yet?” She asked.
“Yeah. I think that landlord said that someone with the last name Smith. He said that it’s only two people. A teenage boy and a father. Maybe we can go over after school today and introduce them to some people in the neighborhood.” I say.
“Ok class; open your books to page 65. Oh and Ms. Harris can you please come here.” The teacher says. I walk up to the front of the class room as everyone stairs at me.
“Yes Mr. Santiago.” I say as I get up there.
“Can you please run into the office and get these things.” He says as he hands me a list with a couple things on it.
“Yeah, no problem.” I say as I smile and walk out of the classroom.
When I get into the office I hand this list to the receptionists and she went in the back to get all of the supplies. I go to sit down and when I do two people come out of the office with the principle leading them.
“I can’t wait to see you tomorrow for your first day at Rangled Beach high.” The principle says as he shakes the older man’s hand. When Mr. Highland turns around and sees me he says my name.
“Ah Jordan, come for just a second will you please?” Mr. Highland says as he looks at me.
“Yeah.” I get up and walk over to them with the young boys eyes on me the whole time.
“Jordan I would like you to meet Dillon Smith. He is new here and his first day will be tomorrow.” He says as he introduces us.
“Hi Dillon, I’m Jordan Harris.” I say smiling.
“Hey.” Is all he says. He’s pretty cute. He looks about five ten; he has crystal blue eyes with blonde hair.
“Well Jordan, why don’t you get back to class? I’m sure you and Dillon will be seeing more of each other.” Mr. Highland says as he looks at me.
“Yes sir. Bye Dillon I’ll see you tomorrow.” I smile as I say this. I walk over to the desk where the lady put all of the stuff I need. I take it and I walk back to me class. When I enter I give all of it to Mr. Santiago. I go sit down and as soon as I do the bell rings. We all pack up and go off to our next class.

At the end of the day Becca comes over and we sit and talk up in my room for hours. My mom works late so we don’t have to worry about her barging in and my dad died when I was only three so we don’t have to worry about him either. When we get tired of talking we walk out the front door and go over to the new neighbors to introduce ourselves. We knock on the door and wait for only a second before someone opens up the door and it’s not just anyone, its Dillon.
“Hey Dillon right?” I say when he opens the door. He stands there with shock for a second before he regains himself.
“Uh, yeah. How did you know where I live?” He says with only a little smile planted on his lips.
“I live across the street. That house over there.” I say pointing it out to him.
“Nice. And who is this?” He asks looking at Becca.
“I’m Becca Walters and did I miss something. I thought you didn’t know who moved in across the street.” She said with a smile on her lips.
“We met at school. He was registering and I had to get the supplies for Mr. Santiago.” I say, but never taking my eye off Dillon.
“Really? When are you starting?” Becca asked.
“Well the plan is for me to start tomorrow. I already have my schedule if you guys want to come inside and see if we have any of the same classes.” He says opening the door wider.
“Sure why not. Are you parents’ home?” I ask him as we walk in and look around at what I think is the living room.
“Um, well my mother died when I was three. And my dad is at work right now. He gets home at like eleven.” He says closing the door.
“Sorry to hear about that. My dad died when I was young, I know how hard it can be. “
“Yeah. So here is my schedule.” He says as he grabs a piece of paper from the couch and hands it to me.
“How long have you been here?” Becca asked.
“Well, we have been moving in out of our stuff for about a month. We were gonna wait tell we sold our house to move in. Our house sold about two weeks ago. My dad wanted me to get comfortable with the town so he let me stay out of school for the time being.” He says. I look over his schedule and it’s like an exact copy of my schedule. We have all of the same classes at the same time and even the same language.
“Hey did the principle say anything about copying anyone’s schedule.” I ask him.
“Uh yeah. I think so. He said that he was going to copy a girls schedule so I won’t talk to all of the boys.” Hmm. I wonder why he copied mine. There’s like two hundred kids just in this grade.
“Oh well, good news. We have all of the same classes so all you have to do is follow me around all day and you will be all set.” I say handing him back his schedule.
“Sweet.” He says while smiling. “So does your friend talk at all or is she one of those silent ones.” This time instead of smiling he’s smirking.
“Hey! I have said a couple of things. And I only talk when I need to. I’m not comfortable with talking to strangers.” She says while scooting closer to me.
“Oh. So um I know this is kind of strange of me to ask you, but can we like be friends? You were the first one I met and you both seem pretty cool. I just thought that since you guys are in my house that you would want to be friends. But, if you don’t want to be friends then that is totally fine to I guess. I mean-“
“Yes.” I say simply.
“What?”
“You were rambling. Yes we will be your friends. Once you get to school all you have to do is follow me. And you might want to know. Becca has a boyfriend so you wont be hanging out with a bunch of girls all the time. Were kind of outsiders to. No one really talks to us unless they want something. If you want we can introduce you to the popular crowd and you can go hang out with them” I say I was going to continue, but then I noticed that I was rambling so I stopped. That’s a habit of mine. I tend to ramble a lot. Especially when I’m near someone new. Most of the time I try and act cool though.
“No. I don’t want you to introduce me to the popular crowd. I want to be your friends. And I can’t wait to meet your boyfriend.” He says as he looks at Becca. She just looks down and blushes. Whenever anyone mentions him all she does is blush. It’s so funny and cute.
“Hey, were gonna get going. Do you want my cell in case you have any questions or you want to just talk?” I say as he shakes his head. I pull out my phone. When he puts his number in I text him telling him that it was me.
After that Becca and I go home and get ready for bed. The cool thing about my mom is that she doesn’t care if someone sleeps over on a school night. As long as we don’t stay up to late and we get all of our homework done. After we make our way up to my room Becca gets into the shower and I sit on my bed watching The Walking Dead. After about five minutes watching the show my phone goes off. I look at it and I see that it is Dillon. We talk for a little before I tell him that I have to go and get a shower. Once I get out of the shower Becca and I lay down and we soon fall asleep.

“WAKE UP! It’s time to get up both of you before you both are late for school.” My mom yells from downstairs. I get up and take a shower before I wake up Becca. When I get out I wake her up and she gets in. Since were like sisters and we fit in each other’s clothes I let her borrow all of my clothes. She does it all the time to without giving it back.
“Hey mom.” I say once I get down stairs. Becca following me soon after.
“MOMMY.” She says as she jumps on my mom. My mom just sits there and laughs.
“Hello girls. You both better get going to school if you are going to walk.” She says handing Becca and I an apple.
“Becca do you want to walk or do you want to go on the bus?” I ask her as I stand up and get the orange juice and poor a cup for Becca and a cup for myself.
“Can we walk? I really don’t want to deal with all of the noise on the bus.” She says as she takes he cup and drinks it.
“Hey! Why don’t we go over to Dillon’s and see if he wants to walk to school with us. I’m sure he would want someone to show him around on his first day.” I say giving my mom a kiss and walking out the door.
“Sure. I don’t mind, he seems pretty cool to.”
“Yeah.”

We get to his house and we walk up the steps to the door and knock. I was about to knock again when someone opened the door. This time it wasn’t Dillon it was someone who resembled Dillon, but it was an older version of him.
“Hello. May I help you with something?” The older man says. His voice is deep, nothing compared to Dillon’s.
“Uh, yes. Were here to see if Dillon wanted to walk to school with us. I’m Jordan and this is my friend Becca. We came here yesterday to introduce us.” I say looking into his eyes. The man’s eyes are a gray color. When I looked into his eyes it was like I was looking into his soul. The only thing is that I didn’t want to. In his eyes you could see the evil.
“Oh yes. You were the one from the office. I remember now. Please call me Mark.” He says as he puts his hand out for me to shake. I decide to shake it, only because it would be rude not to shake it.
“Dillon, please come down you have guests.” Mark says. Only a couple seconds after he says this I hear steps coming down the stairs.
“Who- Oh, hey guys. I see you met my father.” He looking at his father. “So what’s up?” He says taking his father’s place as his father walks away.
“We were wondering if you wanted to walk to school with us today.” I say with a smile on my face.
“Sure. Come on in while I grab my bag and tell my dad.” He opens the door wider and we step in. When I step in I notice that everything is neat and in order. I look around for a second before I notice a door that has a lock and a chain on it. I go over to it with Becca right behind me. When I reach the door I smell something that must be from a glade, something that makes the air smell good when you spray it.
“What are you doing?” I jump. I didn’t know that I was paying that much attention to it that if someone spoke I would jump. I turn around and see Mark. He looked kind of menacing.
“Uh, I was just looking at the door. It’s a very interesting door. With the little cracks in it.” I say “And what kind of glade is that. The one that you sprayed?” I ask him. Obviously nothing is wrong and it was a serious question because it smells really good.
“Oh well, Dillon and I go hunting. So when we catch something we put it down there and because of the smell of the blood we have to spray something. I keep it locked so Dillon doesn’t go down there by himself when he is home alone and try to eat some of it. For the smell it Bahama breeze. Smells very good doesn’t it?” His father says. I think he is trying to lighten the mood but I’m not sure. Dillon comes into the room and bids his goodbyes to his father and we start walking to school.

When we finally arrive at school, the very first thing I notice is that everyone is staring at me, well not just me, but Dillon, Becca and me. Probably only because Dillon is the ‘hot’ new guy and everyone wants to be friends with him.
“Why is everyone staring at us?” Dillon says. He looks kind of scared. Like a deer before it gets run over. Well, maybe that may be too extreme.
“I think it is just because you are the new boy. You know everyone want to be your friend. Or they are just wondering why you are hanging out us.” I say referring to Becca and I.
“Well I don’t want to be there friends if they are not your friends.” He says as he smiles. His teeth are pearly white and he has dimples. Like the perfect dimples.
“Awe thanks we love you to.” Becca says as she fake cries.
“Ah so she still does have a voice. Are you one of those shy girls?” He asked her.
“Maybe. The only two people I’m not shy around is Jordan and Jack.” She says.
“Who is Jack?” He asked looking at me like I have the answer to the universe.
“He is Becca’s boyfriend. They hang out like all the time. I’m surprised I got her over to my house yesterday. Now that you will be hanging out with us I don’t have to worry about sitting alone at lunch or being all by myself ever again.” I say adding the dramatics.
“Hey! We do not hang out all the time. And when was the last time you sat by yourself at lunch?” She says looking at me.
“Uh, hmmm let’s think… yesterday.” I say grabbing Dillon and staring to walk off.
“Oops. Sorry?” she tries. I really don’t care if she is dating Jack and she has no time for me, I’m just glad that she has someone who she can trust after what happened last time.
“Hey, hey come on now I can’t have you guys fighting. I just met you yesterday.” He says while laughing.
“Were not-“ I get interrupted by someone.
“Hi my name is Blair.” Blair says this while she puts her hand out for a hand shake Great. Now I have to deal with this. Blair might be the biggest drama queen you will ever meet. Everything is about her all the time. She is also the biggest bully I have ever met. She may have just been with all of the jocks. Not joking she has a different boyfriend every week.
“Hey, I’m Dillon” He says ignoring the hand shake.
“Why don’t you come hang out with us? The boys would love to meet you.” She says moving me out of the way to grab on to his arm. “Oh, do you work out?” She says while laughing.
“Um, actually why don’t you go back over there yourself. I’m going to stay here with my friends.” He says as he takes her hand off his arm and walks over to us. I smile, maybe he will be a faithful friend.
“Are you serious? You going to hang out with these losers? Are you mental or something?” She said while she gave Becca and I death stares.
“They are not losers. If anything you’re the loser.” He says as we walk past her.
“Watch yourself. I can make your life miserable.” She says. I can almost hear the smirk in her face. Dillon suddenly stops and turns around.
“I don’t care. I have been through hell and back before.” He said. “The only thing I need right now is Becca and Jordan.” He said. He then turns around puts one arm around my shoulder and one around Becca’s shoulder.
“Hey guys I might go. I’m going to go and see Jack. That ok?” She asked.
“Yeah that’s fine. Becca be careful.” I say. She gives me a sad smile and walks away. Her history with boys is not very good. Her last boyfriend cheated on her for out old friend. Can you guess who our old friend was? Well if you said Blair then you are more than correct. After Becca found them making out in the girls locker room, she punched Blair and broke up with Connor. It was horrible. They were dating for four years, she wouldn’t talk to anyone she locked herself in her room for weeks.
“What was that all about?” Dillon interrupted my thoughts. I completely forgot he was here.
“Her past boyfriend cheated on her with Blair. Blair used to be our best friend. Then she did that and now we hate her guts.” I said. You could hear the hatred in my voice.
“Ouch. I’m sorry… wait I should not be saying that to you. Never mind forget I said anything.” He said.
“Well let’s go to my locker then we will go and find yours.” I say changing the subject.
“Okie dokie” He says. I just noticed that he still had his arm around my shoulder. It feels weird. I’ve never had a boyfriend, none of the boys in this school are worth it. Some boys asked me, but the answer is always no. I don’t feel like getting played.

We walk for what seems like hours of people staring at us as we walk until we finally reach my locker. I get my books out for first, second and third period. We find Dillon’s locker with no problem seeing it was only two lockers down from mine. We get his books at his lockers. With our school they don’t give you books when you go to the office on your first day they just put books in every empty locker and whenever a new student comes they give them a locker number.
“So are the teachers nice? Or should I be worried?” He said. He looks nervous, that’s pretty cute on a boy. You don’t really see a boy get nervous.
“Yes the teachers are amazingly nice. They are really cool, but if you get them mad then they will get mad. They don’t get mad easily though.” I tell him as we enter the door. I walk to the back, Dillon follows me since he doesn’t really know anyone else.
“So are you one of those girls that are good all the time.” He says looking around the room then to me.
“You mean like a teacher’s pet?” I don’t really know. I mean I don’t get in trouble every day, but I do get sent out sometimes.
“Yeah, I guess like a teachers pet.” He says smiling. Something I noticed about him is that he has a really nice smile. Like a perfect one. I have never seen such a pretty smile. If you – Ok seriously brain STOP! This is crazy.
“No I’m not a teacher’s pet. Yeah I’m good, but I do get sent out sometimes.” I say and I see a look of shock on his face. Is it really that shocking that I could get sent out of class?
“You get sent out? I thought you were going to be one of those goody-two-shoes.”
“Well I guess your mistaken” As I finished saying this the door opens and the teacher walked in.
“Ok class as some of you know we have a new student. Dillon Smith. Why don’t you stand up and say something about yourself?”
“Sure.” He stands up. “Hi, I’m Dillon. I live with my dad and my mom passed away a while ago. Jordan was the very first one I met here and so far it seems like she is my best friend. I think that’s it.” He says as he sits down. Did he really just tell everyone that I was his friend? Wow.
“Thank you Dillon. Ok class we have a test tomorrow so I would like you all to study tonight. Dillon, do you think you could have Jordan tutor you? Or would you feel more comfortable with not taking the test at all?” She asked him.
“I think I’ll have Jordan tutor me. If that’s ok with her.” He said back. Seriously what is up with him, it I got the chance to miss out on a test I would so take it.
“Ms. Harris? Is that alright with you?”
“Yes Ma’am.” I say back
“Ok class open your book to pages twenty three and twenty four.” And with that I was stuck with Dillon all day, Great.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.