Wolfe | Teen Ink

Wolfe

By KiaraLondon, Wausau, Wisconsin
KiaraLondon, Wausau, Wisconsin

"Be so good they can't ignore you." -Steve Martin

Author's note: Inspired by the classic "Little Red Riding Hood" story.

Roslyn Woods turns down her grandmother’s quilt for her and the frail old woman sighs contently in her sleep. With careful fingers, the mousy haired girl slides the woman’s favorite book, which she had been reading to her before she fell asleep, onto the nightstand and stands up noiselessly to collect her coat and leave.
Roslyn notes that it’s a brisk night, aware that with every exhale her breath curls out from her mouth like smoke. Her fingers become stiff and white around the handle of the woven basket she’s carried with her since she was a child. Only now she doesn’t carry dolls and plucked dandelions. The basket is empty now, but was full to the brim earlier with baked goods that she delivers to her diabetic grandmother once a week.
Her grandmother is her only living family, now. Her parents died years ago and neither had siblings. So, Roslyn treasures her grandmother dearly, seeing as the woman had raised her through her remaining teenage years. Now, the thinning, fluffy white-haired woman is weak and scarred from insulin needles and blood sugar pricks. Roslyn is concerned for her. But, it’s more than just the diabetes that she fears for.
Some time ago a man visited Roslyn in a dream. He was a primitive looking man with a greying beard and wild hair. His eyes were orange, but glowed red in the foggy nightmare. He had loomed out of the darkness, hunched forward crawling on hands and feet. His teeth glinted from the moon overhead, the shadows behind him becoming trees. The closer he became, the more he became upright and human. His breath was pungent with the smell of blood and decay when he curled forward to speak.
“What are you doing out here, little girl?” the wicked man asked, while reaching forward to twirl a lock of hair between his dirty fingers, smiling cunningly at the way Roslyn held her breath.
In her dream, Roslyn had been making her way to her grandmother’s house, which now seemed to be hidden in the depths of the surrounding forest, instead of the center of town. When she had stammered this out to the crude looking man, he gave her a jagged, toothy grin.
“That’s a good little girl,” the man whispered breathily, running his grimy finger down the length of her arm. Roslyn’s heart quickened and she suddenly felt very nervous. “Let’s play a game.”
Her eyes widened at the proposal and the man took an intimidating step forward. “Whoever finds your granny first wins.”
“Wh-what?” Roslyn stuttered confusedly, her head dizzy with the smell of blood filling her nose and seeping into her mind.
“If I win, I get to kill you both. If you win, I won’t touch either one of you.”
“I don’t want to play this game,” Roslyn tried shakily, feeling sick and petrified about the rules of the game.
“It’s too late. I’ve already picked you as my next meal, Little Girl,” as he said this he leaned in, snapping his teeth at her and making her flinch and pull away. He caught her arm and leaned in, whispering, “Ready…set…go.” With that, he disappeared back into the haze, eyes glowing as he went.
She had woken up in a cold sweat, hair damp, skin clammy, breathing hard and fast. At first, she had batted the nightmare away, dismissing it entirely. It wasn’t until she was at the grocery store a few days afterward, that she became convinced he was real.
She saw him.
He was the same silver-haired man with orange eyes smiling wickedly at her in a crowd of people past the checkout line. When she blinked, he was gone. But, he didn’t just appear that once—no—she saw him again at the library reading a book she swears was labeled Slaughter. His eyes had flicked up over the top of the book, glinting mischievously.
Then, he started appearing at her house. He’d step out of the shadows and remind her that she is running out of time. He would come from behind her, flicking her hair and caressing her skin. His teeth would drag along her shoulders, tugging at the skin and leaving marks. He would appear before her while she pulled on her shoes to leave her house, telling her to wear the little red coat he adores so much.
She had learned his name: Andrew Wolfe. He told her that he is a serial killer—cannibalistic, even. He loves meeting scared people wandering alone in their dreams, enjoys ruining their lives forever. Nobody ever wins his game. Even he doesn’t play by the rules. He will kill them win or lose.
Roslyn does not wander the streets by herself. Many people pass her as she goes. Some bicker back and forth, others pass by quietly with their teeth chattering in the cold. She’s on edge. She felt strange leaving her grandmother alone tonight, feeling fear freeze her insides when she had locked the door. She feels this way when Andrew is near. But, she refuses to look around for him, for if she sees him she will panic.
He has been scaring her more, lately.
His eyes have gotten twice as big, it seems, and glowing red like they had the first night they met in her dreams. When she asked him about it he had commented ever so lightly, “The better to see you with, my dear.”
Thick hair has been starting to form along his neck and arms, making him seem quite like an animal and Roslyn doesn’t care for it. It makes him more freakish and intimidating—much like his ears, which have elongated in their past few encounters. Roslyn had mentioned it casually but worriedly, and he answered, “The better to hear you with, my dear.” This had made her feel more uneasy than ever.
Taking a deep breath at the door of her apartment building, letting the last of the cold chill her insides, Roslyn lets herself in and travels up the stairs to her floor cautiously. Her eyes flit nervously along the halls, making sure Wolfe isn’t nearby.
When she comes to her apartment, she fishes her keys from the pocket of her red coat and inserts them into the lock, checking the hall twice before stepping into her home. The room is dark and she stands still when inside, eyes roaming about the room, checking for a red glow among the furniture.
He is not there.
With a sigh of relief, she shuts the door behind her, locking it smoothly, and drops her basket next to her ankle boots. When she shakes off her coat, she thinks she hears chuckling and turns quickly, arms still in the dragging sleeves. With her pulse pounding loud in her ears, she decides that nobody is in fact there and finishes removing her coat to hang it up.
When she steps into the bathroom, she pulls the shower curtain back quickly, just in case. When she finds nobody there, she lets out a shaky breath and turns the shower on. While she undresses, she watches the steam condense onto the mirror, cutting off her view of the wall behind her and forcing her to make jerky glances back at the wall to ensure that she is indeed alone.
She enters the shower with her back to the tub so that she can watch the rest of the empty room before vanishing behind the deep red curtain. While she stands under the pounding water, she has to control her heart rate, which is skyrocketing while she is cut-off from the rest of the room. She forces deep breaths of steam as she washes her hair and scrubs her skin, trying to be quick. Though she tries to force it away, she can hear Wolfe’s husky voice ringing quietly in her ears.
You smell positively delicious, little girl. I bet you taste just as good.
She swallows dryly and dunks her head under the shower head to give her hair one last swift rinse, wiping her eyes in panic when she surfaces. For a brief moment, she imagines the shower head is spewing sticky, warm blood—splattering the walls and drenching her in the thick smell of death—but then, in a blink, it’s spraying clear, hot water. Gasping in surprise and horror, Roslyn shuts off the water and flicks open the shower curtain with so much force she breaks a few hooks. Nobody is in the room, she knows that, still, she tears the towel off the rack and dashes across the bathroom to peak out into the hallway. With all of the lights she left on in the walk it took her to get to the bathroom, she sees right away that her apartment is vacant. The thought should have given her a piece of mind, but she still dashes across the hall to her room, turning the light on the moment she enters.
With her eyes constantly darting around the furniture, she yanks open her closet and quickly pulls on a plain white nightgown. After brushing through her long, tangled hair, she peaks down the hall again and closes the door, keeping the lights outside on.
It’s hard for her to close her eyes once she’s under her blankets, snuggled in false comfort. What if she closes her eyes…and he’s there?

Roslyn bends over a mixing bowl, beating the ingredients together aggressively. Hair falls from her ponytail and flops against her forehead, but she ignores it and continues to stir the ingredients vigorously. A hand darts before her eyes, pushing the strand of hair back and Roslyn jumps backward, tipping the batter over after her.
“Hello, Little Red,” Wolfe purrs over the counter, ignoring the batter splashed drawers and floor. “Do you like the new name? It suits you, especially when you wear that little red jacket.”
“You tell me to wear that jacket,” Roslyn chokes out, body pressed against the refrigerator.
Wolfe’s eyes glimmer past his long, swooping eyelashes. “Yes, and you comply without complaint.”
She immediately thinks about how she complies only because she is afraid of him. He is, after all, a murderer. Why he’s waited so long terrifies her. She wonders if perhaps this is all psychological, that he is trying to get in her head. This could all be a bluff. Then, she argues that the idea is wrong. He has been appearing twice as frequently in the past couple of weeks. And, with every appearance he grows more beastly in appearance.
Wolfe has acquired whiskers along his upper lip and his neck, chest and arm hair is now dark grey, long and coarse. His nails have become thick and sharp, ears flush against his skull and elfish. When he smiles at her, she notices that his teeth have grown in length, becoming sharper and fang-like. His evolving appearance coupled with his more frequent visits have made her increasingly jumpy—even going as far as running and hiding in fear when in public places.
“I do,” she agrees with her eyes down, watching the cake batter dribble down the simple wood drawers.
He is suddenly smothering her against the refrigerator, the stench of death blowing against her face. “I’m so hungry, Little Red,” he growls lowly in his throat, rumbling in his chest and transferring to her when he drags his yellowing nails across her jawline. She shutters and presses further against the cool exterior of the fridge. “I’m getting close. I can practically taste you.”
Roslyn whines, squeezing her eyes shut as he lowers his mouth to her neck and bites down gently on her skin with his teeth, letting his tongue slide between and taste her. She puffs out a startled breath, her body shaking in a frightened paralyzation.
“Your teeth,” she gasps unsteadily, “they’re huge.”
He chuckles loosely and moves his lips to her ear. “The better to eat you with, my dear.”
She can’t scream, he voice is suffering the same paralysis as her body. Her knees buckle, however, and he allows her to slide to the floor beneath him. When she’s fallen and tucked into a tight ball, he stoops over and brushes hair from her face. “I’d be checking in on Granny, soon, Little Red. She might be experiencing a bit of…trouble.”
She wheezes out a late excuse for a scream, a tear sliding down her cheek as she watches him back away into the shadows of her house, eyes glowing red in the most concentrated darkness and then fading altogether.
The phone suddenly rings and Roslyn is on her feet, stumbling through her kitchen into the living room where the phone rings impatiently on the side table beside her blue couch. It’s her grandmother’s number and she pushes ‘Talk’ without hesitation, bringing the receiver to her ear.
“Roslyn?” her grandmother says before she can answer.
“Is something wrong?”
“Roslyn, I need you here, now,” her grandmother says urgently.
“Is everything okay? Are you hurt?”
“Now, Ros. Please, come now!”
The line goes dead and Roslyn throws the phone down. Wolfe, she thinks, it must be him!
She makes a dash to the kitchen and pulls the second drawer on the left side of the sink open, picking out the first knife she sees. To disguise it, she picks up a tray of muffins that had cooled overnight and brings them to the door with her. She places the items in her basket and reaches for her boots, pulling them on hurriedly along with her red coat. She’s out the door fast and jogging down the grey street past ugly buildings and skeptical people. She trips over a grate once, and gets stopped by a street seller who convinces her to buy a bouquet of common wildflowers, which she stuffs into her basket once purchased and flees the stand.
By the time she gets to her grandmother’s house, she fears she is too late. Too much had slowed her down. Still, she knocks on the door in rapid thumps until she hears her grandmother call out, “Who is it?”
“It’s me, Roslyn,” she calls back, heart pounding in her chest.
“Come in, dear!”
Roslyn finds the door unlocked and opens it quickly, tumbling in and spilling the flowers in the walkway. She doesn’t care, even steps on them when she runs to her grandmother’s room.
Her grandmother lies tucked under the sheets, facing away from her. Roslyn takes a few steps forward, feeling uneasy about the situation.
“Are you okay? Why’d you call?”
“I just missed you, my dear,” her grandmother replies hoarsely, familiar and unfamiliar all at the same time.
“You don’t sound good,” Roslyn comments as she inches closer, clutching the basket tightly in her hands.
“I think I might be coming down with a bit of a cold, that’s all,” her grandmother squeaks, clutching the bed sheets up closer.
Roslyn lets her hand slide into the basket to scoop out the knife as a precautionary measure.
“It’s just…you don’t sound like yourself,” she probes.
The woman turns in bed to face Roslyn, and Roslyn is relieved when she finds it is in fact her grandmother’s frail self lying in bed. She comes to the bedside and sits down at the edge of the mattress.
“I guess that’s what happens when you’re ill,” her grandmother comments with a toothy grin. Roslyn smiles back, but stops herself when she looks into her grandmother’s eyes and find that they’re glowing red. Blinking, she catches a glimpse of Andrew Wolfe lying before her, but in a second blink he’s gone. Roslyn shakes her head, fingers tightening around the kitchen knife.
“Is something wrong, dear?” her grandmother asks, letting a hand come to rest of Roslyn’s thigh. When she looks down, she sees long yellow nails slowly scraping up her leg and her eyes flick up to see Wolfe, once again. Roslyn screams this time, throwing her basket away when she jumps back, freeing her ready hand.
Wolfe surges forward from the bed, pouncing on her while hungry teeth sink into her shoulder. Roslyn cries out in agony and frantically stabs Wolfe with the short, mostly blunt kitchen knife. Wolfe howls in pain, shredding some of Roslyn’s coat and shoulder when he pulls away. Blood trickles down her arm and soaks into her jacket, but it’s numb and barely stinging. She takes Wolfe’s weak moment and plunges the knife into him, again. Though, this time, she sees her grandmother screaming out in horrid anguish and pulls the knife out quickly, crying when her grandmother falls to the floor, bleeding out onto the white carpet.
“No,” Roslyn screams out and kneels down into her grandmother’s thick red blood to cradle her. “No,” she repeats in disbelief, dropping the gory blade to the floor.
She hears the front door burst open and footsteps thunder to the room where she lay weeping over her beloved grandmother. It is a construction worker from nearby, orange vest and hardhat still on. He looks down on the scene in horror and charges at Roslyn, prying her from the old woman while speaking into a walkie-talkie.
“Call 911!” he yells into the device, yanking Roslyn back and scooping the woman up.
Roslyn sinks to the ground sobbing uncontrollably. Wolfe,” she whimpers as she rocks. “Wolfe made me do it!” she screams and the construction worker recoils, watching her with worry while she mutters and screams to herself.
There is not a bite mark on her shoulder, no shredding of skin or coat. The blood covering her is not her own. She is caught in the pitfall swirl of a catastrophic hallucination.
Little Red, there is no Wolfe.

KiaraLondon said...
on Jul. 7 2013 at 2:34 pm
KiaraLondon, Wausau, Wisconsin

No, I've never watched it. I do like the theme song, though, haha.  Thank you! I'm glad to hear you've liked it. I will look into yours:)

MadisHeart said...
on Jun. 28 2013 at 12:26 pm
MadisHeart, Norman, Oklahoma
Have you ever watched the show Pretty Little Liars? The mysterious bad girl is called "red coat", I think you would like it! ;) I enjoy well done creepiness of this story. I would love it if you checked out my book if you have time! Have a nice day

PhoebeB GOLD said...
on May. 26 2013 at 6:20 pm
PhoebeB GOLD, Lexington, Massachusetts

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

I loved this story. Beautifully created and well thought through. My favorite part was probably the last line. "Little Red, there is no Wolfe." I liked how you took a children's tale and made it your own- especially because in the original tale Little Red is successful which convinces your average reader that the "Little Red" of your story was going to be successful. The fact that she ended up killing her Grandmother was a twist which could easily catch any logical reader by surprise. I also love the prominent relationship between the protagonist's grandmother and the protagonist. I am in love with your story. Well, developed. My only criticism is that you probably could have provided a back-up story on the girl and her grandmother. I also feel like, without an explanation, it wasn't wise to throw in diabetes for the grandmother. If you aren't going to provide more info on the grandmother as a whole, it would most likely be best to refrain from giving readers the specifics on her situation. Instead, you could just say "ailing grandmother". Do note, that I'm an incredibly fussy reader, so don't take any of my criticisms to heart. All in all, you had a great piece here, and I see lot's of potential in your writing! Write on!