Some Secrets Are Better Left Unknown

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5

Inquiry

I was sitting in my room dreading. Mary had already left to go clubbing after I'd helped her find an outfit consisting of a denim mini-skirt and a tank-top. Now I sat in front of my closet where my shirts, skirts, jackets, jeans and leggings were separated by section.
I put my head in my hands. What should you wear when asking your boyfriend if he was a spy?
I spotted a medium length black dress with a belt at the waist and put it on. AS I was finishing up, there was a knock on my door. I grabbed black pumps and a grey jacket and faced the door. I took a deep breath and opened it.
Marcus stood there, dressed in black jeans and a fancy shirt. He smiled as he looked me up and down. Then he offered his arm to me. I inserted my arm into his.
"Ready to go?" he asked.
"Yeah," I nodded as I grabbed my wallet from the table by the door.
He led me outside and I stepped into his black car outside. I had no idea what type of car it was. Marcus closed the door behind me and I put my wallet in my jacket pocket. Marcus came in on the other side and started the engine.
We drove in silence for a few minutes before Marcus turned to me.
"Ok, what's up? You haven't said a word since we got in the car. It's not like you." He sounded genuinely concerned.
I took a deep breath and turned to him. Should I just blurt it out? "Are you a spy?" I blurted.
He looked at me in shock. Regaining himself, he turned on the blinker and turned onto a side street. Then he pulled over onto the side of the road. I sat watching him and he eventually turned to look at me as well.
"You were told?" he asked.
"Yeah." I leaned my head on the dashboard. "Oh gosh, that means it's true."
"Sorry," he told me and put his hand on my shoulder. I recoiled from it. "Sorry," he repeated just for a different reason this time.
"I just need a second, Marcus," I informed him as I put my hand up. "Everything's just real confusing; I need a second to wrap my mind around it."
"I didn't mean to keep you in the dark. It's just that I was told that I had to get you to join but couldn't tell you what you were joining."
"Wait, did you go out with me so I would join?" I questioned in shock. Man, I'm an idiot. How could I have not guessed it? Was it because I wanted it to be true? I liked Marcus, I thought he liked me too.
"At first," he confessed. "But then I get to know you and I realized I didn't want it to just be for a job. I wanted it to be longer."
I pushed myself off of the dashboard. I pushed my hair back. "Ok, shall we go to eat?" I asked. If I returned back to normality everything would be just fine.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5