Relax

Author's note: The was my first omnisicent view piece. I wrote this based on all the corruption and sadness in the world.
Author's note: The was my first omnisicent view piece. I wrote this based on all the corruption and sadness in the world.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Happy Birthday

“Bethie, what did you do last night?” Camille asked at the breakfast table Wednesday morning.
“Talked, watched TV, the usual,” Beth sighed.
“What did you talk about?”
“Wendi Smith. She looks just like Jessica. Funny, huh?”
“How do you know that?”
“Lizzy’s friend Grace saw her in Donaghy Forest.”
“Oh.”
“Camilla needs a new dress. Can we get one today?”
Camille did not answer, though. She was lost in thought. She reported the finding to the police. The police investigated the forest, and what they found disturbed Camille beyond belief. Jessica’s body.
Camille cried for days, with Eric and Beth at her side. She felt like a failure, and a complete one at that. She hadn’t protected Jessica like she promised herself she would.
The police had no leads, no fingerprints, which led Camille back to an interesting detail in Jason and Kenny’s story. The odd woman who had supposedly been following them. Had she been following Jessica? Unlikely, but it was worth a try. A vague description from Jason and Kenny didn’t help the police.
Weeks later, Camille received a letter from Priscilla:
Heard my daughter is dead. Thank goodness. That’s some weight off my shoulders. My birthday is coming up soon, by the way. Didn’t know if you’d remember, so I decided to remind you. Also, I’m having a party. I need a new butcher’s knife, hint hint. See you later, sissy. Lots, of love, Priscilla
Camille stared at the letter for the longest time, before crumpling it up and tossing it in the fire. As if Priscilla deserved Camille’s presence at the party, much less a gift. She would have to buy the new knife herself.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6