Relax

Author's note: The was my first omnisicent view piece. I wrote this based on all the corruption and sadness in the world.
Author's note: The was my first omnisicent view piece. I wrote this based on all the corruption and sadness in the world.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Date Night Secrets

“It’s date night, Bethie, that’s why,” Camille told Beth.
“But you always let me stay home alone,” Beth whined.
“Well, that was before Jessica disappeared.”
“She’s dead.”
“Don’t you dare say that. She is NOT dead.” Camille took a deep breath. “Lizzy, that cute red-headed girl, will be here in five minutes to watch you. You better behave, Beth Marie, or so help me.”
Five minutes later, exactly, Lizzy arrived and Camille and Eric departed.
“Hiya, Beth. How ya doin’ today?” Lizzy asked, sitting with Beth in front of the television.
“Terrible. I like staying home alone,” Beth complained.
“Sorry. Ya know what? I’ll be so quiet, it’ll be just like you’re here alone.”
“No, it’s okay. Now I have someone to talk to, I guess.”
“What do you want to talk about?”
Not that there were many subjects to talk about at the age of ten, other than leaky gossip and town tales.
“Wendi Smith! Ya heard of her?” Beth asked.
“I saw her,” Lizzy grinned. “Well, I didn’t, but my friend Grace did. And my friend Jack.”
“Do ya kiss him?”
“Excuse me?”
“Your friend Jack. Is he a boyfriend?”
“No, Bethie.”
“Oh. Well, anyways. You saw Wendi Smith?”
“Yup. Well, Grace and Jack did. But she’s skinny, and pale, like snow. With blue eyes, bluer than the sky, and hair like the sun. She’s like a doll. A real doll. Except she was dead.”
Beth paused for a moment. Wendi Smith sounded like Jessica. A doll with light hair and blue eyes. Weird.
“She sounds like my friend Jessica. My cousin,” Beth noted.
“Oh. Interesting,” Lizzy said.
“Yup. Well, are ya gonna make me dinner?”
“Sure. How does mac ‘n’ cheese sound?”
“Good.”
Camille and Eric returned after Beth had gone to bed. Lizzy was cleaning dishes when they entered the kitchen.
“Thank you so much, Lizzy,” Camille smiled and handed her a few bills.
“Not a problem! Beth was such a good girl,” Lizzy replied.
“Nothing weird? Because her teachers say sometimes she acts strange.”
“Hm, nope. Wait. I was telling her my story about Wendi Smith, the dead girl. She told me her cousin Jessica sounded like Wendi.”
“Oh. Okay. Well, good night.” Camille watched Lizzy walk two houses down the street to her own. Then, she turned to Eric.
“Is that unusual?” she asked.
“On a scale of one to Beth, I’d say that’s a usual for Beth. She’ll be fine. Talk to her in the morning if you’re worried, but I wouldn’t be,” Eric said. “Now let’s get to bed. I still have to work tomorrow.”
“Alright.”