Freak | Teen Ink

Freak

By haloXD, Malibu, California
haloXD, Malibu, California

Author's note: I just wrote it on my phone when I couldn't sleep.

Sitting in my Art History class, I was sure that most of the people were sleeping.
"Getting bored?" the person next to me asked.
"Isn't it obvious?" I said.
He chuckled and introduced himself. "Hey, I'm Logan."
"Cristelle."
I wasn't good with short conversations so I just kept quiet.
"So...you like Art?" He asked me while fishing for something in his bag.
"No. I just took it because I would rather do Art than P.E."
He finally found what he was looking for. An art file. He started sketching something and then turned to me and asked.
"Are you free this Friday?"
"Yea, why?"
"Would you like to go for a movie with me?"
"Like on a date?"
"Yes."
I blushed. Yes, I'd been asked on a date before but the embarrassing part was what I would have to say next.
"I'll have to ask my parents." My parents were very overprotective of me. They didn't even let me go for school camps or sleepover.
He chucked. "Okay. Tell me tomorrow?"
"Of Course." I said right when the bell rang.
I told me best friend, Angelique everything that happened.
-
-
"So did you ask?" Logan asked me right when I entered the class.
"I did. They're thinking about it." I hadn't asked them. I chickened out and I was planning to sneak out of my house.
The class was as always boring but in the last five minutes of the class, Logan showed me a sketch.
At first, I thought it was just a normal sketch of himself but then I noticed that he was holding something in his hands. It was his heart and there was a hole in the place on his chest where his heart should be. In the bottom it read: 'For you, Cristelle'.
I quickly returned it to him, it was just too disturbing.
The bell rang, saving me from the awkward silence there would be between Logan and me.
I got up and was ready to go when Logan grabbed a hold of my wrist and said. "I love you, Cristelle."
-
-
"You need to be more careful" Angelique told me when I finished narrating her the whole 'I think Logan is a freak story'.
-
-
It was Friday and till now my over protective mom hadn't gone to sleep so I couldn't even sneak out and go somewhere.
I heard the house phone ringing but didn't really care about it and logged on to Facebook.
There was a friend request from Logan. I went to his profile which was open so anyone could read his status.
His status. All of them were about me! What I do, what I hate, like, everything!
I got freaked out and didn't accept him. I just went to sleep.
-
-
"Mom! What did you do to yourself?!" I hurried towards my mom who was holding her hand and sitting in her bathroon. Her hand had scratches made from razors and she was bleeding like anything.
My first guess was that she did that to herself, I didn't realise how wrong I was.
Apparently someone had called my mom and asked for me and when she lied that I wasn't at home because she didn't want me to talk to a boy, the person got angry and threatened her. The boy's name was Logan.
I ignored him all day and told my best friend the whole story.
"Do you want to come to my house today?" she asked.
"Yes, I do but I can't stay for a sleepover."
"Yea, I know your parents."
-
-
Angelique and I were watching 'Nightmare on Elm Street'.
She excused herself to go to the bathroom. I continued to watch the movie, it was so scary!
From the corner of my eye, I thought I heard something move. I went to close the window but I saw a white paper thing there.
Already scared from the movie, I couldn't open the window. But I just had to read the note so I quickly opened my window, took the note and closed it and the shutters.
'I'm watching you' was what was written on the note when I opened it.
When Angelique came out of the wash room, I showed her the note.
"Buy pepper spray." she told me.
"I don't know from where!" I told her, tears blurring my vission.
"I'll buy it for you and me."
When she said that, I hugged her. My best friend was so scared herself!
"I think you should tell the school councler too." she said. And that's exactly what I did.
-
-
I gave the note which I found at the window and a picture of his facebook status and the sketch he had given me.
"All I can do is change your classes. Nothing else." she told me softly.
"What do you mean 'nothing else'? I'm getting stalked here!?"
"I'm sorry, but you will be going to P.E. from now on.
-
-
"Cristelle!" I heard a voice I feared so much call my name in the school hallway.
I ignored him but he kept talking. "I heard you changed your classes. Not liking Art History any more, huh?"
What I wanted to say was 'it's because of you that I changed them' but what came out was "Yes, its that."
He narrowed his eyes at me and spoke. "Have your parents allowed you for our date yet? And you haven't accepted my friend request!"
"They said no...and I haven't gone online for a long time." I said that and hurried away from him.
-
-
I was sitting on my computer because I couldn't sleep. How could I? I knew that he came into my house once. I couldn't say anything to my parents. They were already so protective...they would just lose their minds if I told them.
I logged onto my email from my phone and it would be an understatement if I just said that I had many messages.
My phone almost blew up from vibration! All of the IMs were from Logan.
How did he even get my house phone number and my IM? I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to know the answer to that.
My heart started beating wildly when I noticed that he was online and typing me a message. I logged off quickly and sat on my bed.
After half an hour of pointlessly lying on my bed trying to sleep, I heard a knock on my window.
Without thinking i went close to it and sat near it.
Another knock. I furrowed my eyebrows and squinted my eyes. It was dark outside and I couldn't see anything. Just then a thin sheet of paper slided inside my room from the window.
Someone outside was pushing it inside. I shut my shutter and opened the note. 'I'm still watching you'.
I kept the note in my file to go and give the police tomorrow and cried myself to sleep.
-
-
"I was right here, I swear!" I explained to Angelique.
The note I had kept in my file had dissapeared and I couldn't find it. I couldn't tell the police anything without proof!
"You don't think..." she kept the sentence hanging.
"NO...nononono" I kept repeating. "What if he actually watched me sleep in my room? That's so freaky. I'm so scared!"
Angelique stared at me sympathetically. "Do you want to go to the pep rally? You know...to get your mind off of him?"
I nodded. I had an amazing friend.
-
-
There was a note in my locker. I couldn't open it. I was so scared! But I had to and I did after school with Angelique.
'See you at the pep rally, Cristelle! Oh and if you're smart...you'll throw this note, or else I'll come inside your room and watch you sleep :D'
"You're gonna come with me and give this to the police, right?" she asked.
I didn't respond. I just let the note slip out of my hand and fly far away with the wind.
-
-
"Its so fun!" I told Angelique excitedly. We were at the pep rally and screaming our hearts out for the football players and the cheerleaders.
"C'mon! Everybody is going to the Gym."
We walked, hand in hand on our way to the Gym but we got separated in the crowd.
Someone snatched my hand and pulled me towards the locker room.
The person had my hands over my head, so I couldn't reach out for the pepper spray in my shorts pocket.
"Why have you been ignoring me, Cristelle?" It was Logan. "I want to be with you but you never talk to me and ignore me and I have no choice but to send you those notes."
I started mumbling something, with his hands covering my mouth.
"Now...you're gonna be smart and not scream. You have no idea what I can do." He whispered in my ear. He dropped his hands and kept them on the locker, each one trapping me from running.
"I-I don't know what to do..." I was just talking random stuff to distract him while I reached out for my pepper spray. My hand started hurting form trying to garb it, but I did.
"What to do?" He asked me, confused.
"Yea..." I said coming close to him and then strongly saying, "But now I do."
I sprayed the pepper spay in his eyes and his hands immediately clung to his eyes. I used this chance to run away. I ran out of the locker room and shouted for help.
"CRISTELLE!" I heard my best friend speak. I couldn't help but smile.
She came with my school principal. They made me sit down, with my head resting on one on the locker's lock. It felt so comfortable.
"Angelique, go get the nurse and I'll go check the locker room for Logan."
The warning bells in my mind rang, but I ignored them. The principal was a grown man. He could handle Logan.
They all went inside and I was getting tensed. I heard the sound of footsteps coming.
A hand pushed my head back and it hit the lock. I screamed and a hand covered my mouth.
"We still have time, Cristelle. Come with me." Logan said.
I started crying. When I thought everything was over, he came again.
To my relief the principal came out of the locker room and caught hold of Logan's shirt taking him somewhere.
I fainted right after this happened and the next thing I know...I was in my house, on my bed and my mother was looking at me with eyes full of love.
"Why didn't you tell me, Cristelle?" She asked me reaching out for my hand.
I let her hold it. "You were already so protective of me. What could I do? Tell you? If it were in your hands after this incident, my own house would turn into prison!" I said, then added, "I'm happy that I'll be going to college this year and will be moving out."
My mother hung her head low like an ashamed child. "I'm so sorry, Cristelle. I wouldn't do this to you ever again. But don't you want to hear the good news?" She said getting happy after.
"What?"
"The stalker guy is gone!"
"That's amazing."
- -

6 MONTHS AFTER:

"Cristelle, get out already!" My best friend since high school, Angelique shouted at me from outside.
We were going for the college pep rally.
I wasn't scared any more. I had my best friend, an amazing mom, and lastly...no freak.
I smiled at my reflection in the mirror and stuffed the pepper spray in my shorts pocket. I was prepared this time.