A Twist on Reality. | Teen Ink

A Twist on Reality.

By ahagen0412 BRONZE, elmwood park, Illinois
ahagen0412 BRONZE, Elmwood Park, Illinois

"Well of course this is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean it's not real."
- Wise words of Professor Dumbledore.

Author's note: Believe it or not, this started out as an assignment! All we had to basically so was write fan-fiction. Knowing me, my imagination got the better of me, and this story fell onto my computer screen!

Beeeeeep. Beeeeeep. Beeeeeeep. The shuttering sound awakes me from me peaceful dream of counting the cottony sheep in the brightness of a solar powered rainbow! I step out of my green with brown polka dots bed and into my 1800s styled room. Trotting over to my mirror, I feel this sticky green guck under my bare feet. Suddenly I am sopping with clammy sweat from all my pores. I’m getting shorter. That or I’m sinking. To reluctant to look down, I close my eyes and relax, remembering Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Immediately when Harry, Ron, and Hermione were trapped, they stood still and were safe. When I completely submerge in water, a miracle occurs! I’m not breathing oxygen, yet I’m still alive! Starting at my feet, the coldness of my house slaps my skin like ice to a hot plate. I feel my legs going numb. I’m falling and won’t stop. Falling and falling and falli-. Beeeeep. Beeeeep. Beeeeeep. I wake up…again. It feels real this time. Oh, what do I know, it felt real last time and that was a nightmare!

Lazily, I get up and slowly shuffle my feet to the kitchen. My mom is making oil-fried bacon, sunny side up eggs (with a hint of basil), and of course, buttered toast. How is it that my mom looks so perfect? Her perfect beach blonde hair that ravels into barrel curls, her perfect petite stomach, so small a mouse cannot even live in there, and her solid gold locket that travels with her 24/7.
“Honey, where are you? School starts in 1 hour!” my mom asks nonchalantly.

“UGH! In a minute!”

“Well hurry, you breakfast is getting cold!”

”Good” I say as I trail off my bathroom. I never understood why we needed such a big bathroom. I mean a 40 x 36 ft is just pure insanity. There isn’t much you can do in one bathroom you know! I understand the gold bathtub, the silver shower, and the marble sink, but why do they have to be so darn big!?

I arrive back in my room and take a good look in the mirror. Somehow, I don’t like what I see: a dirty-blonde haired girl, with a belt covering a navy blue shirt, and high-fashioned heeled boots overlapping the denim jeans. It all seems just too much. I wish I can just be like the greasers. Sodapop, Two-bit, Darry, Dally, and Johnny have it made! Their appearance is so laid back. Shirts and jeans. Oh, I should probably get to school and meet up with them. I prance all the way downstairs, and holler at my mom,

“See you later, love ya!”

When the school bus drops me off, I skip all the way to my front door. I knock. There isn’t an answer. Oh well, she’s probably making food. As I go around back, I notice all the lights are off. Peculiar. I enter the house, and as I do that, my heart skips 1,000,000 beats at one time! Everything has been rambled and nothing is where it’s supposed to be! The water is boiling over, the windows are smashed, and the garbage is covering the entire floor like jelly on bread.

“Mmooomm?” I whisper because there is a frog in my throat.
“MMMMOOOOOOMMMM??!!?” I manage to holler. There is no answer. I start panicking until I get the hiccups. I swarm around in circles until I finally notice a note.
Dear Alissa,

I needed some groceries to make dinner for tonight and tomorrow night. I’ll be back later. Make sure to close the windows!- we don’t need raccoons!.

Xoxo mom
Well I finished my homework in advisory and I’m to bored to read, I guess I’ll call the guys! I think to myself. Of course whenever I call them I have to make sure that there is no smoking, this isn’t the Curtis’ house!

A New day brings new beginnings brings a new start. When I get to school, I have to race to my class because I am almost late. Thank goodness first period is gym because they don’t really care if we are late. In the girl’s locker room, one of the idiots screams at the top of her lungs. The teacher hearing this makes us run for the whole 45 minute class. This is the part where I’m glad I do NOT have block scheduling. On to block two. My L.A teacher is super boring. All we do there is watch videos. Thankfully out teacher is a ditz so he doesn’t even see me hiding underneath the desk reading Harry Potter. In third period I have math. This is literally the highlight of my day. Algebra is so fun when you include fractions into it then divide the numerators but multiply the denominators! However, 5th period is a drag. A.P. U. S history. Yes, I know about everything just give me the test already! Then we travel to 6th & 7th period which is lunch and study hall. Then chemistry, and biology then my home awaits me. Sadly I have none of the gang in my classes (they aren’t the smartest of people). On the bus, I meet up with Kaitlyn and Regan. They are really good friends, it’s just a shame I never hang with them outside of school! When the bus stops in front of my house, I travel right on in. This time, my heart skips 2,000,000 beats. This time I know it’s serious. There is blood on the ceiling. I immediately cry out and try calling the police, but the phones are dead. I sprint across the yard to my neighbor’s yard, but irony strikes and they aren’t there. As my body floods with adrenaline, I race to Darry’s house. Finally, they are all there. I whip out there smokes and swiftly explain what has happened. We all dash to my house. They look as if they have seen a ghost.

“WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED HERE?” Dally asks.

“WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?” cries Johnny.

“Alright let’s not act like we are hopeless!” Darry jumps in.

“WHO THE HELL IS ACTING?” Two-Bit interjects.
We pace around my house. Whoever did this left nothing of the sort. Until I see something so horrific I could pass out.. I guess the guys heard my screech and came running.
DO NOT ENTER THE UPSTAIRS.
Two-Bit, being the defiant one, sprints up the stairs. Not even a half a second later neon yellow lasers shoot off and we hear a massive clump hit the ground. We all race upstairs. And there we see, Two-Bit Mathews spread eagled on the floor, dead.

For the first time in our lives, we are speechless. There are no words to be said. Even though I don’t talk or make a sound, the salty tears stream down my face like they are in a race. MY vision blurred so much that I felt like I might die to. This can’t be happing. WHO WOULD WANT TO DO THIS?! Kill a poor innocent young man. This is it. They will rue the day.

“ARE YOU SERIOUS?! FRIST PONYBOY. NOW TWO-BIT? WHOEVER DID THIS WILL PAY. MARK MY WORDS. I am tired of losing our group because of people who are so inconsiderate they will take other people’s lives just to satisfy.” Dally argues.

“HEY! Not everybody kills for the heck of it! If it wasn’t for me killing Bob, we never would have gone to the church, start that fire and Ponyboy would still be with us.” Johnny complains.

“Guys the important thing is we will find who did this, we will take our vengeance, and we will be together someday.” I retort

“EVERYONE SHUT THE HELL UP! Now come look at this. I’m sure whoever did this went in here.” Darry reassures us. It looks like he isn’t fibbing! There in my mom’s room, was a gaping hole- large enough to fit 10 men across. But there isn’t telling how deep it is. It could be 1,000,000 miles deep or 100 miles deep. The darkness of it was to obscuring to point my finger on it.

“Guys, you have to come look at this.” My voice was probably too shaky for anyone to hear, but gladly they understood. There right in front of the hole, was my mom’s beloved necklace.

The stupefied look on all the faces looked almost scarce from all the crying. I’m almost positive everyone is thinking the exact same thing. We must go in. We stare into each other’s eyes, and almost telepathically, we jumpe in at the same time.

The slide plops us out onto this gooey, slimy, green substance. Then I remember, this is the EXACT same one as in my dream! Oh no, I thought, is this a dream? It better not be! Just to be sure, I dunked my head into the substance and YES, I couldn’t breathe! When I come up for air, the others look at me like I’m some kind of idiot.

“Oh, come on! Are you seriously going to tell me this is the craziest thing you have seen today?”

“Eh, you’ve got a point!” They all stutter, but still manage to get out. We all attempt to rise up. We succeeded within 7 tries. If you take a real good look at this place, it looks like a prison. All the walls are bricked off in a faded gray. Nickel bars across every single wall. And –shocker- no windows! This looks like an absolutely great place to be! Then, we see it. This creature is too different to analyze in my brain. Most defiantly it’s an alien I mean come on now! But it has 2 heads! Both bald, yet shiny. And there face is un-proportioned. There nose is too close to their eyes, and their whole skin tone is a hideous shade purple.
On a happier note, right behind them, is the key to our success. A laser gun. It looks as if it was just invented.

“Guys, we need to get that gun! If we get that, we can take down whoever has my mom, and find the alien who killed Two-Bit.” I suggest

“Sorry to burst your bubble, however he’s an alien, and I don’t think we should mess with him!” Darry retorts

“YOU STEAL ALL THE TIME!” I quip. “Look this is too important to just go back now we are already here! AND WE WON’T DIE IN VAIN.”

Darry comes in, “Here’s the plan, I am going to go and distract him, you guys go and steal it, and then we will meet back here!”

“Are you serious?” Johnny finally pops in. “That is just way to dangerous to do, and I won’t let you!”

“OOOPPPSS! Too late!” and just like that, Darry Curtis sacrifices his life. And to all of our surprises the alien hurtles to him. It gave us just enough time to steal the gun. I was the only one to look back and there he was, a knife stabbed in his chest. What an awful way to die. He would have wanted us to move on and save my mom, and whoever else they could have took.

“Going somewhere?”

Oh the irony. As they take us into the “conference room” something catches my eye, I try to turn and look, but the stupid guard strangled to the front. As we enter this small 25x20 sized room I think, this is what a bathroom size should be. Incoming, is apparently the “Queen” alien. GGREEAT I think to myself. Here comes her speech.

“SO! You trespass into my territory! Steal my weapons! And try to escape?”

“YOU TOOK MY MOM”

“I’M NOT DONE! That is not any reason! Since you are too stupid to figure this out, let me explain. A long time ago, my species and I took charge of a planet, and it backfired! The “home town” species came back, and this whole revolution occurred. SO we needed somewhere new! So we thought what better place than Earth filled with stupid idiots who think it’s all about them! We have been a secret society since 1776. The American Revolution was a perfect time to start! No one knew what was happening so they would barely notice us coming into the center of the earth. We were getting along fine. However there were a few little tweaks here and there, so we just brought them down here if they were getting a little to…curious. You see “honey” this is the society of the—AHHHHHHHH.”

“What?” I question her. Her face looks like she has just been stabbed, then she crashes to the floor, and I see she has been stabbed! And right behind her, is a tall blonde haired boy, who is very muscular.

“She took my parents too.” He says with the most charming smile. “My name is Joshua. And I just killed a b****.”

“Well, you’re cute,” I whisper. “I’m Alissa, and I just got saved by Joshua!”

“Oh give me a break! Have your little love story later, can we just get out of here?” Dally asks.

“Yeah! I’ll just take Alissa to her mom while you three stay here, and then we’ll all go back together!” Joshua so kindly states
As Joshua and I walk down the hall, I head the most frightening sound 4 gun shots, coming from the room we were just in. I race back, and look in the room. 2 were killed. The killer escaped. There has been a mole among us this entire time, which means this-is-not-over. I pick up the murder weapon, and turn around to see everyone staring at me with dismay. I picture myself in their shoes.

I holler, “NO!”

My name is Alissa H. I had many…interesting adventures in my life, however none of them compare to the thrilling journey of May 23-25, 2010. Oh, I can go on and on and on about how my life is so hard, but hey people have it worse than me! On the other hand, this is pretty insane how ALIENS come into my world. Ugh well, nevertheless remember these three facts: 1. I never lie. 2. My family is the most important thing in my life. 3. I absolutely NEVER-KILLED-ANYONE. Are you wondering why i put this at the end? Well, I wanted you to determine by yourself whether you trust me or not. Hopefully by now you have made your decision. The question at hand though, is who's dead, and who's the mole?